Is Fire Emblem really screwed up?

Harvey

Is Fire Emblem screwed up?  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Is Fire Emblem really screwed?

• Yeah, I lost faith in the series. Its not what I want and I don't like the way they are doing things.
    • No way!

I'm hearing a lot of fans in general saying that Fire Emblem is now screwed up and that its not like how it used to be? Is that really true?

I thought Awakening and Fates are fantastic games......

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the steady takeover of Mary-Sue Self Inserts, poor map design in FE13, and outright confusing and poorly done plot in said game, I've lost faith in IS to do anything really.

I voted "no way" but there are things from the older FE games that I wish the newer ones would go back to. Like less sexualized, more practical character designs, less fanservice in general, more unique map objectives, and a few of RD's mechanics like ledges/elevation.

And to me, while Fates is probably my third favorite game in the series now behind PoR and RD, Awakening is rather low on the list these days. RD, PoR, Fates, and Sacred Stones all blow it out of the water to me.

^Pretty much what Ana said, though I like Awakening more than Fates (and I haven't played RD yet :P)

Either way, FE certainly isn't what it used to be. Whether that's good or bad is your opinion, though.

I voted "no way" but there are things from the older FE games that I wish the newer ones would go back to. Like less sexualized, more practical character designs, less fanservice in general, more unique map objectives, and a few of RD's mechanics like ledges/elevation.

Summed it up well for me. FE's always been rather family-friendly in that aspect. adding to what's been said above, the difficulty of the last two games is unbalanced. It's either way too easy for your characters to get out of hand (namely with the mix of Tonics, Pair Up, Skirmishes and Renown in FE13 as well as the Mess Hall in FE14 and the ocassional but random stat boosts through events). FE13 has way too linear map goals as well as designs. FE14 feels like it could've had a lot more potential if you didn't have unlimited weapon uses (I mean, why would you be encouraged to not use a powerful weapon over average ones if the uses are infinite?) and the stat-boosts I mentioned. They did it well with the way they toned down Pair Up, allowed enemies to Pair Up themselves and stuff like that. Ch.11 of Nohr was really well designed. It's aimed at trapping you in a sort of way.

It's a matter of perspective mostly. Classic FE differs from modern FE in 2 aspects, art style and the method of storytelling. The Art Style is more keeping with the times unfortunately for those who like the old style. FE has ALWAYS used modern day anime for it's artstyles. If you don't like that, I'm sorry, but that's just how it is. Older FE games had a much better method of conveying the story imo, but what Fates and Awakening do work fine as well for those who don't look too deep into the story.

Gameplay wise, the series hasn't really changed much, with the only real major changes/additions being Pair Up and Casual Mode. Sure, Awakening and Birthrout have poor map design, but so did Japan's wonder kid FE3, FE4, FE7 to an extent, and debatedly Radiant Dawn. It's just a matter of perspective, and I for one pretty much enjoy every FE game I've played.

fire emblem is largely the same as it's always been, i've just matured

Edited by Integrity

I'm hearing a lot of fans in general saying that Fire Emblem is now screwed up and that its not like how it used to be? Is that really true?

I thought Awakening and Fates are fantastic games......

Chances are, if you are of that opinion, you wouldn't agree with fans who prefer the older FE games anyways (even if you ended up playing them). I wouldn't worry too much about it, although I would recommend giving the older games a chance regardless!

fire emblem is largely the same as it's always been, i've just matured

This is true to the first approximation, although i feel like the stories have gotten worse. I don't really care though. I'm mostly in this for the gameplay.

Its also true that awakening had bad map design, but fates fixed this, so i see that as more of a one time mistake than a bad direction..

Edited by sirmola

This is true to the first approximation, although i feel like the stories have gotten worse. I don't really care though. I'm mostly in this for the gameplay.

agreed but only as of fates; awakening was just about par for the course for fe, if a little lackluster

Those are pretty much my thoughts.

I wasn't too fond of Awakening, but I feel like Fates took a lot of bad things about Awakening and improved upon it. There are things in Fates that I really like and there were some things in the older games that if things should go back to. You got to experiment a bit in order to find out what you can improve upon.

For the "back to RD" argument... More mechanics doesn't necessarily mean more fun gameplay.

People like the broken 3rd tiers, but all it was was stat inflation and insta kill lethality with a different name.

The elevation would encourage empty choke point spamming gimmicks.

Conquest has been very creative in its map design and it was all properly scaled on each difficulty... more than I could say for Radiant Dawn's inflated system. Especially with the Laguz stats and transformation.

If you ignore the waifu and self insert stuff that is largely exaggerated save for a few (Etika and a newcomer in this forum come to mind) FE has been the same.

Edited by shadowofchaos

No. The new games are fantastic. I want the next game to have more marriage, more self inserts, more zany wacky characters, more fanservice, more sexualization, and more comically evil villains

Those are what makes a good game. I'd actually enjoy seeing a FE that takes after Tokyo Mirage Sessions and it's based around a High School. That would be bae.

Fates Game play was fantastic I just wish the story had been better written, there are things I wish they would bring back from older FEs like steal (I love walking up to an enemy and robbing them blind) among other things I miss. But I still like the FE series and will buying and playing any new games.

I personally don't like Awakening. The map design and difficulty have the quality of a rom hack and the characters are uninteresting. I like Fates much better because it has fun gameplay, but I still don't like anything else about it.

No. The new games are fantastic. I want the next game to have more marriage, more self inserts, more zany wacky characters, more fanservice, more sexualization, and more comically evil villains

Those are what makes a good game.

I don't have a problem with your opinion on the new games, but the way you phrase this really makes it sound like you're baiting.

Edited by kantoorfarina

I don't like Awakening for a lot of reasons, personally. The map design and difficulty have the quality of a rom hack and the characters are uninteresting. I like Fates much better because it has fun gameplay, but I still don't like anything else about it.

I don't have a problem with your opinion on the new games, but the way you phrase this really makes it sound like you're baiting.

How is that baiting? Do I need to put an IMO everywhere? All of those things are exactly what I want from a game, and Persona is a good example of what I want. In fact, that would only be baiting if you just hated Persona.

Fire emblem will continue to take this new direction I'm pretty fine with that.

The new style is different, in some cases for the worse but I can't say I'm not having a blast with Fates all the same. The new style brought some issues in the experimental phase of Awakening but Fates(or at least Conquest) proved that its being worked on and will continue to be improved upon in the future.

There are some instances where I clearly like the games despite certain things rather then because of them, which is definitely a first but none of those are absolute dealbreakers.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

How is that baiting? Do I need to put an IMO everywhere? All of those things are exactly what I want from a game, and Persona is a good example of what I want. In fact, that would only be baiting if you just hated Persona.

It's just how you stated literally everything that people complain about in FE13/14. I hope I don't come of as trying to say you're baiting just for having an opinion because that'd be rude, but it would feel much less baity if you just said "I like the new direction of the series and I'd like to see more Persona-esque elements" or something along those lines.

I don't like the course the series is taking. It has become pure fanservice. Bad avatars, boring supports, uninteresting cast, terrible story development, etc. I don't mind some misses among the hit-and-miss scenario, but I dislike the huge hype and false marketing that involved them, which in end, became meltdowns. Fates was marketed so badly, the concept was about how internal choices impact the game, but rather they made 3 unwavering games that depended only on 'which version should I buy?'. Gg Ninty

That being said, I've lost faith in the series, I haven't quit because it's my favorite series and I'll always support it and say its virtues, but the trend it's following is not among my tastes.

It's probably changed to some degree, I can't say it's something that I've really enjoyed, but I'm definitely a minority in that regard. It might not be the FE I played before but at least it's still around for people to enjoy!

@quintessence. I thought you kind of liked fates when it came out? At least enough for you to temporarily change your profile picture to a Fates character. Or am I thinking of someone else?

Edited by DarkDestr0yer61

I don't like the course the series is taking. It has become pure fanservice. Bad avatars, boring supports, uninteresting cast, terrible story development, etc. I don't mind some misses among the hit-and-miss scenario, but I dislike the huge hype and false marketing that involved them, which in end, became meltdowns. Fates was marketed so badly, the concept was about how internal choices impact the game, but rather they made 3 unwavering games that depended only on 'which version should I buy?'. Gg Ninty

That being said, I've lost faith in the series, I haven't quit because it's my favorite series and I'll always support it and say its virtues, but the trend it's following is not among my tastes.

By saying Ninty, you also include me in there. Why do you hate me? :(

To be honest, I'm pretty positive with the series right now.

While the scenario sucked, the gameplay is great and all of the characters feel able to train. Even Nyx and Odin are surprisingly trainable on Revelations Lunatic, without a single amount of grinding ; though that's mostly thanks to the existence of Draconic Hex and the Dual Attack mechanic.

Fates has imo so far the best gameplay out of all the series. While I'd love it if there weren't broken characters for each path (known as Def+Jakob'd Corrin, Ryoma, Xander, Camilla, and the children), the game does a great job at staying balanced, still providing a fair amount of difficulty even with those characters. (excepted Ryoma, who trivializes BR)

Fates is imo the best FE opus simply due to the wonderful gameplay. I haven't had such a nice experience since FE10.

Lunatic!Conquest!20 is imo one of the best chapters in the entire series, if not the best due to its amazing design.