[FE8] Wizardry Request Topic

Crazycolorz5

I made a thread: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=63792

That mounting thing is amazing, but if I may ask, do both "versions" of the character level up together or no?

It just calculates the stat differences based on the difference in the class bases. So if you wanted, you could set the cav bases higher and the unmounted bases lower, and stats would get decreased accordingly.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a way to make so that one can only be dismounted in indoor chapters? That's just one thing Tearring Saga (and FE5? Never played so I can't say) got right IMO. I mean, Fire Emblem in general asks too much from my suspension of disbelief when he wants me to believe a dude is sitting on a throne while on a horse...

Is there a way to make so that one can only be dismounted in indoor chapters? That's just one thing Tearring Saga (and FE5? Never played so I can't say) got right IMO. I mean, Fire Emblem in general asks too much from my suspension of disbelief when he wants me to believe a dude is sitting on a throne while on a horse...

FE 3 and 5 both do that as well, but in FE5 this was a bigger problem for the player due to weapon ranks working the modern way.

Oh wait, how about using the Dismount thing, making it temporary and making a FE3 Manakete patch?

Also, maybe a Laguz one?

Edited by Floral Pattern

Making it "you can ONLY dismount indoors" seems a bit odd, tbh. And hard to define what exact parameters you want to allow dismounting (couldn't they dismount indoors then go outside?). Making it so that "You can only be inside while dismounted" is easier -- set it so that horses can't move on inside terrain tiles. And it is on my todo to make dismount/mount only usable if your other form can actually traverse the tile you're on. Though that's not a feature yet.

Laguz are being considered and I'm thinking about it, but I have other things to work on for now, so I don't see myself doing them anytime in the near future.

Eh, I call it PC, too lazy to add another "C".

Also I said it to piss off people, joking and pissing off are two different things from different perspectives.

Edited by Glacoe

uhh

uhhhhh

it was p. serious, I want it too which is why I elaborated on it

probably missing a 'c' from 'Pursuit Critical Coefficient'.

Ohhhh he meant PCC. Well, Of course, Thracia 776 should be emulated by every hack.

Why did people think i wasn't serious in the first place?

My bad, sorry. I should've known you weren't kidding because FE5 is definitley the superior engine (at least we agree there lol). :D

Edited by Thraciafanboy776

It's interesting that SF's wizarding requests are mostly based on FE5 mechanics. Definitely a pleasant surprise, since I was half expecting someone to have requested S-rank supports by now.

Anyways, Fatigue is an awesome mechanic when it's properly designed around. You have to tailor the progression and cast composition to accommodate for the extra layer of challenge, but it the forced party rotation aspect is something that I've always appreciated from a design perspective. I jotted down some thoughts on implementing Fatigue a while back, but my concept for the display would likely be difficult to implement. Some sort of gauge would be appreciated--I felt that Thracia displaying only the fatigue count made it somewhat difficult to track (that, and piss poor menu translation in the incomplete FE5 English patch).

Capture is also pretty legit when implemented properly. Fates had an interesting take on it, which basically amounted to "free extra units". It was cool, don't get me wrong--FE5's was infinitely better, though. The game's item distribution was designed with Capture in mind, making it essential to maintaining a steady supply of weapons. FE5's shops overpriced items, too.

TRS shields are also pretty neat. In GBA, it would probably be optimal to just grant a passive stat boost (ala venno's hack) come up with a way to -1 use to the shield for each hit the unit takes (unless whoever suggested that wanted you to develop an "equipped item" system, in which case RIP). Gaiden also had shields, but if I recall correctly there was no durability attached to them in FE2.

Good work on Dismount too, CC! I think others have suggested it, but if you wanted to take that mechanic a step further you could implement FE3-style Dragonstones where the Manakete actually transform into alternate dragon classes for a few turns before shifting back into human form. Perhaps that could be implemented as a status effect? Coincidentally, TRS handles dragon mechanics the exact same way.

Edited by Arch

Anyways, Fatigue is an awesome mechanic when it's properly designed around. You have to tailor the progression and cast composition to accommodate for the extra layer of challenge, but it the forced party rotation aspect is something that I've always appreciated from a design perspective. I jotted down some thoughts on implementing Fatigue a while back, but my concept for the display would likely be difficult to implement. Some sort of gauge would be appreciated--I felt that Thracia displaying only the fatigue count made it somewhat difficult to track (that, and piss poor menu translation in the incomplete FE5 English patch).

I have plans. It's going to be pretty similar to your mock-up, probably.

Good work on Dismount too, CC! I think others have suggested it, but if you wanted to take that mechanic a step further you could implement FE3-style Dragonstones where the Manakete actually transform into alternate dragon classes for a few turns before shifting back into human form. Perhaps that could be implemented as a status effect? Coincidentally, TRS handles dragon mechanics the exact same way.

Now, if I'm gonna do it (transformations), I'll do (FE10) laguz. But not yet, not in the near future, yet.

I think you can do that with just some nightmare stuff? Just make an item that promotes Class A to Class B. I would like to see what sprites you'll use tbh.

P.S. If I'm wrong, just take a look at how the Recruits have been made and copy paste+edit them.

Edited by Floral Pattern

I think you can do that with just some nightmare stuff? Just make an item that promotes Class A to Class B. I would like to see what sprites you'll use tbh.

P.S. If I'm wrong, just take a look at how the Recruits have been made and copy paste+edit them.

There's the problem of where to store the palette though. Each character index has two indexes for palettes, for T1 and T2, so there would have to be some sort of way to link to a T3 palette. You could work around that by using the T2 palette as T3 palette, but then you'd have to make sure that the T2 and T3 animations have 100% compatible palettes. In FE8 it's doable though, if you treat all T1 classes as T0.

Edited by Blue Druid

Is it possible to have tier 3 units? (in FE 8, with keeping the trainee classes if possible)

I have formerly done this for a mod long cancelled, and I can say that it's amazingly easy. All you need is whatever promotion item you plan on using (Heaven Seal is a Dummy item in FE8), add the classes you want to promote to the seal, and give them promotions in the branch.

Though I suppose it'd be made easier if we could store stats up to 63, hrm? I am working on a save data expansion project that's a prerequisite for true str/mag split/fatigue/etc that could also be used to expand the unit data so that each stat can be saved up to 63 (or 127 if we have the space).