Fire Emblem: Inheritance of Ash (Trailer Released!)

Siuloir

I've been keeping this under wraps for awhile, but...

Inheritance of Ash

In an age long past, Valsadia bent to the will of the Logothoi, great scions of sorcery who wielded the Words of Creation itself, shaping land, sea and sky alike to their whim. Seven in all, each Logos carved out territory of their own from the bones of the fledgling continent, and through their magic, brought order to an untamed land. Their reigns were not to be eternal, however - As time progressed, one among their number came to believe the tyranny of their power had grown too great, and in secret, worked a ritual that cast both himself and his brethren into a sleep of stone from whence they would never awaken, and in one breath, ushered in a new era of freedom...and of chaos.

Centuries passed, and the once unified kingdoms tore one another part in an effort to assert their own dominance over the territories the Logothoi had left behind. And so it went, on and on, until one man rose up from the ruins to once again bring order to the continent.

Caranos of Avashir arose from the south a whirlwind or iron and blood, his armies sweeping over the continent with unparalleled fury. Nations fell before him in droves, and all who stood in opposition to his conquest were one by one forced to bend the knee. Cunning in politic, brilliant in battle, Caranos seemed unstoppable. In the span of the decade, almost the entirety of the continent was united within his empire.

Two years later, he died. On his deathbed, his assembled commanders and courtiers asked to whom he meant to leave his empire. He spoke only three words:

‘To the strongest.’

And once again, the land fell to chaos.

Now, amidst the backdrop of a continent in turmoil, the outcast prince of a dispassionate nation chases after the sudden disappearance of a mysterious, long-lived tribe, following hazy fragments of a prophecy that bespeaks an uncertain fate for the now kingless land…

The Technical Stuff:

Inheritance of Ash is a Fire Emblem hack that attempts to present a deeply character-driven story against the backdrop of a living, breathing world. The events of IoA are but one component in a larger tapestry being woven across the continent of Valsadia, As such…

Length: Inheritance of Ash is intended to be a shorter than usual hack of approximately 15 Chapters.

Branching Storyline: Due to both the relatively short overall length of the hack, a much greater focus will be placed on placing player control on a diverging storyline: There will be several smaller breakpoints, a handful of Gaiden chapters, and one major split that will massively impact the entire remaining scope of the game.

Character Interaction: Character interaction both on and off the battlefield is an integral element of the hack’s core gameplay. Interactions between characters will have both short and long term effects on the game as a whole, opening up minor and major story branches, awarding items, revealing further information on the history of Valsadia, and so on. (In short - Expect lots of Talk events.)

Art and Animation - Better shown than told. Take a look below for a preview therein, including a re-design of the Soldier class and a preview of the protagonist’s animation.

Music: Expect a selection of familiar tracks from Fire Emblem and beyond. Additionally, I (Siuloir) will be composing a number of original pieces for the hack.

Date: Preview LP to be released with FEE3. Expect a first patch of 5 chapters shortly thereafter.

I’ll table the long windedness for now.

Special Thanks to: Arch, GhastStation, Skitty of Time, Agro, Merc, Nickt, Nih, Matt Snow and anyone else who has contributed time, art, assistance, advice, etc.

Obligatory Art Request: Mostly, this applies to mugs. I’m doing okay for the first patch, but I a) have a handful of my own pieces that could really stand a rework and b) will likely need further down the road, so if either interests you, go ahead and talk to me and we’ll work something out.

Screenshots:

98JiMMu.png
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEaNcNLmePY (Animation: Oren) (Siuloir)
Edited by Siuloir

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

story sounds so epic. Outcast prince eh? I'm telling you Oren and Bram are long lost brothers. Looks great, glad I could help, glad this is coming along!

story sounds so epic. Outcast prince eh? I'm telling you Oren and Bram are long lost brothers. Looks great, glad I could help, glad this is coming along!

Plot twist: Bram dyes his hair not-silver out of shame.

*dundundun*

Hmmm, not bad for a start! It's pretty coherent, and the shorter overall game length is refreshing. Now, the all-important question: Which FE will I need to patch?

Hmmm, not bad for a start! It's pretty coherent, and the shorter overall game length is refreshing. Now, the all-important question: Which FE will I need to patch?

FE7.

Originally I had intended on a full blown hack, but I decided that doing something different with a shorter, tighter focus and leaving the door open to tell more stories in the world in a possibly episodic fashion.

Also totally not motivated by the timing on a partial desire to wait for FEXNA.

Edited by Siuloir

Everything's looking impressive so far. I'll see if I can't get a sprite or two submitted at some point.

I'd definitely love to make that happen. You should know I'm a huge fan.

Ooh, this looks really interesting Siuloir. I'd be happy to help you out with some maps if you wanted :)

btw from what I can see both maps have a few errors, if you wanted I could fix them for you?

Those new animations are sweet too.

Edited by Haku

Ooh, this looks really interesting Siuloir. I'd be happy to help you out with some maps if you wanted :)

btw from what I can see both maps have a few errors, if you wanted I could fix them for you?

Those new animations are sweet too.

I certainly won't turn down the help. I think I'm set on maps for the first patch, but absolutely in the future. :)

Those two are quite likely in need of a revamp (The village is actually in the middle of it, since I switched from the FE7 Village tileset to FE8 recently and now have a few more tiles to play with). Still,I'll welcome any advice in fixing them. :) I'll message you.

I don't know why, but the shields on the soldiers remind me of '300'

because the shield design is based off the Hoplon, the spartan shield iirc. In fact, the whole design of the soldier is based off greek soldiers.

• 2 weeks later...

Mini character preview update, because I need a break from tweaking animation scripts:

NsoARzM.png

Meet Ainia, adventurer, explorer, tomb raider, treasure hunter....And fighter.

Mug by the very talented Mew.

JvmQnnb.gif

Animation by me!

(It's actually been tweaked a bit since this - IE she no longer mysteriously puts on gloves at one point) but I hadn't timed it out the gif GraphicsGale to coincide with the new in-game version.)

Edited by Siuloir

(It's actually been tweaked a bit since this - IE she no longer mysteriously puts on gloves at one point) but I hadn't timed it out the gif GraphicsGale to coincide with the new in-game version.)

she still have mysterious glove disappear trick on her right hand in the handaxe animation

...I just stated that the inserted version does not.

I hadn't uploaded/timed out a GIF version for a preview. So yes, in the old gif, as I said, she still has gloves in one animation and not the other. In the in-game, she does not.

I will swap it with in-game footage once it's debugged, apologies.

Edited by Siuloir

Normally your whole body moves when throwing something, rather than just the one arm.

That said, I'm anticipating your FEE3 debut.

Yeah, I originally did it as a casual throw, but really she needs to torque at least a little as has been pointed out (Shame on my laziness). I'm a little ahead of schedule, so I should be able to go back and change it.

Nobody throws an axe right in Fire Emblem anyway, you're supposed to throw it overhand.

Thanks, Prime. I am equally looking forward to your re-emergence, as it were.

Thanks, Prime. I am equally looking forward to your re-emergence, as it were.

It's more like my yearly crawling out from under the rock to be honest.

Laziness is a perfectly valid excuse.

Also, the overhand is true but the actual 'spell' animation for the handaxe doesn't really match this. So, boomerang it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice maps sprites. What classes are lizard people going to be? Abusing helmets? Keep up the good work.

Thanks~ The two Armor Knight map sprites were done by Agro, while the Oren (the lord) was done by GhastStation.

They are predominantly wyvern riders, but there may be an unhelmed sprite/class/custom animation in their future.

is this considered a concept anymore lol.

I thought the rule for not being a concept was having a patch.

There'll be a 5 chapter one probably toward the end of August. I have to travel for a week in the middle.