Hero King Marth DLC

Shun One

Ok so masked Marth is a spirit then? Well that clears that up...

No. DLC Marth is a summoned spirit. Masked Marth is a different person entirely, almost certainly a descendant of Marth or Alm.

This all raises an interesting question. Marth will take the field in some form as an ally, so what will his class be? He might have a class along the lines of Lord again - perhaps a different version compared to Krom, like Lyn and Eliwood. But especially with them having identical outfits, this makes me think that Marth and Marth II will have the same class, probably their own unique sword-based class, and Marth II wouldn't make much sense as another Lord. Also, the idea of having both Marth and Marth II on the field side by side seems strange enough to suggest to me that Marth II will probably not be playable. Of course, if she doesn't ever show up on the battlefield on any side to even have a listed class, that leaves Marth free to take whatever class he wants. But I hope that's not the case.

Edited by Othin

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I don't know what to make of this. Other than the fact that I'm frustrated.

Masked Marth's design is really great, and I was looking forward to playing as him. While the feminine style for Marth I does help dispel the Marth II-is-a-girl talk, it also indicates that Marth II may not actually be playable. Moreover, the Marth II-is-zombie theory probably just got thrown out the window.

At this point, I'm just sort of hoping that Marth I is simply a cash-in and that Marth II remains playable (and somehow related to the original).

I'm pissed. They took SSB Marth, which I thought was going to be the standard look for him in future FE games and I liked it, but instead they said "THIS IS WRONG, FIX IT" and gave us girly blue striped yoga pant fucking knee sock leather boots and no muscle whatsoever. I'm also disappointed they couldn't make him more colorful, all I see is blue and a bit of red. Ugh, maybe I don't even want FE13 now.

Marth is an effeminate character. Get over it.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

He wasn't in FE11 or 12. Why didn't they just go with that design?

I dunno. FE3 DS Marth is my favorite design, but I'm not frustrated that he has feminine characteristics this time around. They both look cool in their own respect.

One thing that the new design of Marth has led me to believe is that the imposter/Masked character is most likely a girl, in my opinion. The hips and legs seem almost *too* much like a woman's. And Marth still has a broad chest relative to his size, while the imposter/Masked does not (could be due to the way they're standing).

Edited by Phoenix Wright

There's the possibility(due to the time gates) that Marth II could be FE11 prologue Marth and Marth I could be Marth after the events of FE12. The physical differences could be due to the age difference of the two Marths.

There's the possibility(due to the time gates) that Marth II could be FE11 prologue Marth and Marth I could be Marth after the events of FE12. The physical differences could be due to the age difference of the two Marths.

No. If nothing else: hair color.

Also:

This isn't the same masked Marth we've seen, it's the spirit of the Hero King Marth from another world.

This implies that Marth II is not simply Marth's spirit taken at a different time. She's a different person entirely.

This implies that Marth II is not simply Marth's spirit taken at a different time. She's a different person entirely.

You buy into the Marth II = girl theory, eh? Care to explain why?

You buy into the Marth II = girl theory, eh? Care to explain why?

Appearance and voice, mainly. Although Marth's new appearance shares some of the aspects that I had initially attributed to Marth II as feminine, I still feel like he looks like a guy while Marth II does not. In fact, I'd say Marth's similar appearance may make this even more likely. The two of them are supposed to be different people, but they look in need of more differentiating characteristics to establish them as different, and different genders would certainly work.

To be perfectly honest, I think people are over thinking this whole Marth thing. Or perhaps wishful thinking. I can damn near guarantee this "new" guy we see on the boxart is the real Marth, and is just wearing the mask to hide the shame of his failures, or his red zombie eyes. Something that'll make most people's eyes roll, at least. I don't have faith in the writers to give us something as interesting as a woman dressing up as him, or even an impostor.

I dunno. FE3 DS Marth is my favorite design, but I'm not frustrated that he has feminine characteristics this time around. They both look cool in their own respect.

I'm not really annoyed by that either, it's just that the picture is just... bad. I don't like it. Also, those boots are the worst thing and where are his pants he worked 20 years for those.

I, personally, call the Masked Marth just... 'Marth' and refer them as... well, self-demonstrating, I guess. Mainly because I have lots of theories. Have a list:

1. 'Marth' is the real deal, send forward in time to help his descendents.

2. 'Marth' is a zombie/corpse soldier, but because he's the Hero King, he resists everything related with them, because he's that awesome.

3. 'Marth' is a fellow descendent of the first Marth, and quite frankly, in this theory, the gender doesn't matter.

4. 'Marth' is Xane in disguise, if he lived that long.

5. 'Marth' isn't just the first Marth's descendent, but Alm's. Again, their gender doesn't matter.

6. 'Marth' is in fact either Sheeda or Elice in disguised sent forward in time.

7. 'Marth' is FE12's My Unit in disguise, eternally walking the new lands in the guise of their former lord to protect them in his place.

8. 'Marth' is a cousin of Krom's.

9. 'Marth' is an illegitimate sibling of Krom's.

10. 'Marth' is Marth's restless spirit after FE3/12's Bad Ending.

11. 'Marth' is the real deal and is pulling off a Hero's Shade with Krom... somehow.

12. 'Marth' is in fact the real Marth... in an alternate universe in which he was a she.

And now that I think about it, remember in one of the videos, there's this butterfly, and 'Marth' has a butterfly mask? I don't believe in coincidences in Fire Emblem.

Edited by SPSEliwoodGabriel

Currently, Rivera is FE13's only confirmed male character to have a voice as feminine as Marth II's. When Marth II's voice is matched by a confirmed male character who's not supposed to be mistaken for a girl, I'll believe that Marth II might be a guy.

It seems to me that Marth II's female and feminine voice must be purposeful. This is the only thing I can think of that would indicate the contrary.

Edited by Othin

Currently, Rivera is FE13's only confirmed male character to have a voice as feminine as Marth II's. When Marth II's voice is matched by a confirmed male character who's not supposed to be mistaken for a girl, I'll believe that Marth II might be a guy.

It seems to me that Marth II's female and feminine voice must be purposeful. This is the only thing I can think of that would indicate the contrary.

I know nothing of Japanese VA customs, so since you're obviously very knowledgeable about this sort of thing, can you comment on the claim that Marth's VA is somehow "intentionally" hiding his/her gender? I've heard from others that there are ways to tell that the VA is someone intentionally "suppressing" the true gender, going over the top to make it sound like a boy while retaining feminine qualities... probably not describing this too well, but you get the idea.

Since there has to be a reason for wearing the mask, I still buy into the Marth = zombie theory, but I wouldn't be surprised if (s)he was an impostor.

Considering that in multiple voice-overs, the gender of the voice is irrelevant to the gender of their character... this is a grossly inadequate base to claim something from. In this context, the actor does not predicate the gender.

Kobayashi-san's work DOES include male-gender people... it's just that they're usually pretty young, so I dunno if it was to give the illusion that 'Marth' is young...? I dunno.

Interestingly, among them are two When They Cry characters, Satoshi from Higurashi and Kanon from Umineko...

Edited by SPSEliwoodGabriel

I know nothing of Japanese VA customs, so since you're obviously very knowledgeable about this sort of thing, can you comment on the claim that Marth's VA is somehow "intentionally" hiding his/her gender?

Actually, I'm just working with what I see here and guessing to fill in the blanks.

Marth II has a female VA, unlike the original Marth. Female VAs have been known to voice male characters at times, but from what I've seen, they tend to take more ambiguous voices at those times unless there's a good reason to keep the character sounding feminine. Marth II's VA does not seem to be making any attempt to found masculine or even ambiguous in gender; the voice clips just sound like a woman speaking. It's hard to imagine that there isn't some reason for this - at least when, as I said, FE13 currently has no confirmed male characters with voices that feminine without a good reason.

I mean, if anyone has any (audio) examples of such characters in other media, they might add another perspective. I know that last time this was brought up, someone brought up another character, but I don't think we ever wound up seeing specific audio examples to compare.

Edited by Othin

I haven't watched that show a whole lot, but I don't recall Bart ever sounding feminine. Again, I am not talking about the VA's gender, just what the actual voice sounds like.

And regardless, "young male" is a typical reason. Bart is 10. I don't think it's plausible that Marth II is younger than 15.

Maybe once the english VA's are confirmed/heard it will shed more light on Masked Marth's gender?

This game comes out in Japan in just over a week. We'll surely know this and any other major information within three weeks. I think that'll precede any more info regarding other region releases and their content.

Edited by Othin

I feel like by that time we'll just know because it'll say so in the Japanese version somewhere and said info will leak.

I also am keeping this thought in the back of my mind: the localization might get lazy or cheap and not hire voice actors for the game. It's been done before: games have had full voice acting in the Japanese version and minimizal or no voice acting in the other version (one example that comes to mind is Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume, but that did have some voice acting, at least).

It's a game backed by Nintendo, so I doubt that. If it was a spattering of lines maybe, but it looks like there are quite a few voiced scenes.