Lord of Azure Flame Chapter 25: The Road to Jerdon

Phoenix

"Just Tobe," Tobe replied, hiding slightly behind Viveka. He was still hesitant about talking to new people, especially after a fight.

-----------------------------------------

It seemed to be taking a while... Kelas swore under her breath, it seemed like the wounds incurred by dark magic sometimes had the capacity to get worse, or maybe she was just noticing them more now. "Need to sit down..." she mumbled, dropping to her knees. Things were spinning a bit, but she could still see... sort of... "Can someone help?" she asked, not sure that anyone was in a position to reply.

Arrin ran forward to steady Kelas. "Are you sure there isn't anything I could do to help?"

"Vulnerary in my saddlebags," Kelas instructed, propping her head up against her good hand. "Don't remember which pocket..."

Slightly panicked, Arrin searched, eventually finding it. He opened the bottle and tried to press it into Kelas' free hand, then realized that she couldn't move that one well. She took the bottle with her other hand, and gulped down a bit of the potion.

"I'll live," Kelas insisted as some of the spinning and pain went away. "I can wait for a healer."

Arrin shook his head. He wasn't sure whether to stay to make sure Kelas didn't pass out, or to go and try to call Tessa or Charlotte over. For the moment, he fretted.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once he was done healing Reika, Beau took a quick look-around to see who still needed healing. Tessa wasn't doing anything yet. Odd. Maybe she was preoccupied with talking to the one near her. So, Beau decided to do her work for her, first aproaching the hurt wyvern rider from before and healing her. Esphyr looked quizically at the kid. "Who're you, anyway?"

"I'm Beau," he replied, "Leave me alone. I've got work to do."

"Sheesh, sorry for asking..." Esphyr rolled her eyes at the faux appology she made, which went ignored by the young healer anyway. From there, though he moved on to the Nomad siblings, since he figured Tessa was taking care of the fallen man near her.

"I'm sorry it's taken so long," Beau mentioned, beginning to feel the fatigue from his healing. With a sigh, not really feeling like conversing, he applied his staff to Kelas' wounds. It took some time, but she was good as new by the end of it.

"Are you hurt, too?" Beau mumbled to Arrin. He was determined, though still a bit sore from what Arrin had said before, "Or would you preffer healing from Tessa or a vulnerary?"

Edited by Mercakete

"I have some burns, if the others have been healed already," Arrin replied, indicating the wounds. He'd been ignoring the injuries while he worried over Kelas, but they stung all the same. Kelas nodded her thanks to Beau, but did not attempt to push herself to her feet yet. She realized that she'd been having trouble breathing properly because of her injuries. Now she breathed in deep and stretched out her arm now that it was functional again.

Viv and Sunny

She hadn't quite gotten an answer to her question since there was now a third person present, but she had already admitted it wasn't exactly the best time to ask said question, so she didn't mind. It also seemed like a good chance to introduce Tobe to Derek. It probably wouldn't put a veil over the massacre that took place a few minutes prior, but it was something.

Viveka: Tobe, this is Derek. He's a good friend of mine. Derek, Tobe.

"I've healed the ones who need it the most," Beau replied, again making use of his heal staff. Once Arrin was healed, Beau glanced around again. Usually after fights Beau stayed to speak with Arrin but now he wasn't sure he knew where to go. He knew for a fact that Kelas didn't like him and Arrin didn't trust him. He refused to speak with his countrymen and he didn't like how Raemond was always at his shoulder. He didn't want to speak with any of the royalty for now... Where could he go to rest? The carrage wasn't available... The forest was on fire. That left choosing a section of the battlefield and sitting. Deciding that would seem rather silly, Beau chose to seek out the first person from this group he'd healed: Luc. So, wandering away from the Nomad siblings, he wandered towards him, using his heal staff as a walking stick to some extent.

It was odd approaching the cluster near Helios, Sadie and Charlotte without them being the ones he was planning on speaking with. All the same, he adressed Luc with a polite nod and the question, "How did you fare in this battle?"

Edited by Mercakete

Luc Altair

Luc nodded in response to Derek's thanks and watched as the Jerdonian paladin trotted over to the Elyisima Pegasus Knight. Morgan shortly after that, made her way to Heinz and borrowed some of the rope Luc had mentioned possibly existing from the downed man. She placed the binds on the ambusher quickly, and made her deceleration of intent clear. Writing them off as a threat just because of the failure of this ambush wasn't a good decision. Luc brought a hand to his chin in thought regarding the interrogation as he continued his survey of the area. He had past experience with this man, he was sure, and that could be used. The real problem would be containing the more hotheaded members of the group from simply brutalizing the captive before anything useful had been extracted. As his thoughts and eyes drifted across the battlefield, he saw the collapse of Kelas, and the aid given to her by Arrin and Beau. And shortly after, the latter approached the gathered around Luc, and directly addressed the Directus Count. "Thank you for your concern. The worst I suffer from would be a bruise I'm not even sure I could see if I remove my armor," Luc respectfully answered. "Now, how are you? I noticed your use of that staff as a walking stick, and I've seen and heard how taxing healing can be on the healer."

Beau nodded, glad for the understanding. "Yes. Because I, as well as the staff, am a conduit for the healing magic to flow through, it can be tiring," he ellaborated a bit, "So I am tired in spite of having not engaged in combat myself." It was a good beginning to the conversation. The young healer glanced over to the commotion with the enemy they'd just captured. "We seem to be taking on quite a few noncombatants. What do you think about all this?" he inquired. Talking to Luc was a welcome change since he seemed to have his wits about him -- something Beau couldn't say for all of the members of the group.

Awakening

Njordjenka awoke with a start, feeling pain all over his body and he realized he was tied up. Looking about, he saw his companions including Geraro were dead. Looking up, he saw the druidess and one of the healers standing over him. Turning around, he saw Elle was still alive, causing him to breathe a sigh of relief.

"....Elle. Good to see you're still alive," he said to her.

"I don't think that's very likely," Charlotte said, stepping in. "You're part of that group that captured her, aren't you? Tell me what you did with her memories. I'm a busy woman with little patience for criminals, so I suggest you start talking," she said harshly to the tied-up man.

"Hmmm? That wasn't me who did it. That was the clown who erased her memories. There might be a way of getting her memories back, but I do not know how. Anyway why do you care? And how do you people know her?" Njordjenka replied quietly to Charlotte.

"Some of us knew Dani before you kidnapped her and erased her memories," Charlotte said, not bothering to hide her bitterness. "We're her friends and want to restore her to the way she used to be, not the...sad person she is now," she said. "But if the clown man is dead...I don't know who can fix it," she said rather sadly.

"If it was done using dark magic, then it can be restored using dark magic," Morgan interjected. "However, messing with memories is difficult business, there would be a good chance of her ending up worse than she is now."

"Dani...So that's what her name was. I see. Well anyway there's nothing I can do for her it seems. You might as well just kill me. At least I know she's in non-hostile hands," Njordjenka said with little emotion, still staring up at Charlotte.

"I don't see any reason to kill you. You have committed terrible crimes yes, but one should try to seek penance. The Lady will often turn her gaze upon those who truly regret their actions. You can still atone for what you have done. Even if you don't know how to cure Dani, you could tell us about this group you were with. Who were they? Why did they attack us?" Charlotte said to the man.

"Huh. You didn't interrogate Elle? You just waited until now to learn about us? Huh. I honestly thought you were smarter than this. But perhaps I gave you all too much credit," Njordjenka said, a small tinge of surprise entering his voice.

"Geraro said the boss was ill and wouldn't let us see him for days...he probably killed him. Anyway you have the Crimson Weapons, which we need to defeat the Lord of Azure Flames."

"You are rather smug for a man about to die," Morgan interjected. "Given the state of Elle's memories, any information she would give would be unreliable. Though what you are saying is rather preposterous, did you truly think you all could defeat the Lord of Azure Flame? An insane man escaped from the circus, a pathetic little mageling like yourself, and whatever other idiots you found in a local tavern? We are hardly perfect beings, but those of us who have the Crimson Weapons possess mana networks able to contain their power-the few beings in this world who do."

"So, are there are any more of you? Or are we going to be attacked again?" Charlotte asked Njordjenka, ignoring Morgan's rambling about Crimson Weapons which she seemed to do a lot.

(This scene cartainly is familliar...) Raemond watched from a distance as part of the group questioned one of the captured enemies. He had since dismounted and was now standing, holding Lantos' reigns. Charlotte's talk of the godess wasn't anything now, to be sure. He'd heard it many times over. He'd even said it a couple times. It didn't hold any meaning to him, though. Not with the logic that his sister had found. (There is a diety somewhere... I just don't know who he or she is. One day, maybe I'll feel comfortable speaking out against the godess and lord. ... Not when I still consider myself a Reformist Templar, though. I need more time.)

The scene's familliarity increased as Morgan began speaking to the man. (So, they were destined to hold these demonic weapons? They weren't just cursed with them? ... This is terrible... Will I ever be able to carry this information to the others?) He knew what it felt like to be in Njordjenka's situation. (It is somewhat frightening. Though they had good intentions, they do not know how fortunate they are to be unable to collect the demonic weapons. They must be destroyed... They call out to demons, endangering so many... Altenau can attest to that.) The monk continued to look on, wondering what would become of this prisoner.

Luc Altair

"As long as they contribute in some way--watch, or horse care for example," Luc said slowly. It was a delicate condition after all. Especially with the young age of so many. "I have no significant problem with those who follow or join this group." The mounted count looked around the nearly recovered group. "The possible benefits outweigh the possible flaws, at this time." With such an sizable force of the jester's organization dead at their feet, the chances of an infiltrator were lowered, and Reika's ties had been shattered leaving her little to turn towards other then the group. But now, with two shapeshifters out, adding new members was riskier than ever. Luc would have them go strict probes to determine their humanity, and if possible their loyalties. Of course, he made no mistake that he wouldn't be allowed to do such with protests from others.

Content with his answer, and waiting for a reply, Luc listened in on the wakening of the fool he had struck down. His voiced concern for Danielle's well being was almost laughable. With his conversation with Beau, Luc couldn't step in and deal with the man. So it seemed Princess Charlotte would. Her words were a stark contrast to normal, almost as if she was dealing with Jace again. The fool's prattle about how it was the clown who committed the crime against Danielle, as if he didn't have a share of the blame. But, if it was the jester, then any memory recovery would be difficult, just as Charlotte said. Morgan's point that any further tampering with her memories could just make it worse wouldn't solve anything. And the man didn't even know her name? If that wasn't a blaring warn that he truly didn't care. At least he seem resigned to his inevitable death. But, Charlotte didn't seem to think he should. Penance? An admirable goal, but one not often to work. And yet, it appeared to, as the man gave up a few crumbs of important information to his organization. If what he said was true, though there was no reason to believe that considering their actions, then their leadership was now heavily broken and possibly entirely gone. Though his talk of them needing the weapons was almost good enough to laugh at. True, the Crimson Group wasn't the most competant, but they had survived time and time again against vicious odds. Their group had fallen with below average effort. Though at least that session gave Luc some more information. The Crimson wielders had different mana networks? Did that mean Ixion could alter them? Or was he just a presumptuous arrogant fool as well?

CHASE!

With the end of the battle, there was much Chase could do since he couldn't heal and all. He had already thanked Tessa, and Morgan was busy, so really he didn't want to do much. Well, maybe he could go annoy Conrad for yelling at him earlier?

The Fargo

"Hot, hot, hot!" Fargo screamed as he kicked his horse around. He had lost sight of the others in the smoke and fire and the fallen wood and now he didn't know where he was other then it being a burning forest which was really damn hot!

"Why should I tell you? You'd kill me if I told you anyway. The punishment for failure is death and I'm prepared to die now," said Njordjenka, ignoring Morgan's comments.

Reika meanwhile, after being healed stirred and getting up, she saw Njordjenka tied up and the corpses of the attackers, including Geraro, littered around her. She couldn't help grin with glee at the fact that one of these people who had threatened her and forced her to go along with their bullshit was now at her mercy. Summoning Calamity, she advanced towards Njordjenka, placing her knife to his throat.

"Ah yes....look who's back to the land of the living. Our informant," Njord smiled beneath his mask.

"Informant hmm? So you were telling this group about our location? I can hardly say that I am surprised Reika, but this seems like an extremely stupid thing to do. When people want to kill you, the best thing to do is to kill them first or avoid them-though given how easily you seem to make enemies that is probably rather difficult for you. Nevertheless, I would request that you not attempt to get us all killed in the future," Morgan said, sighing.

Charlotte merely glared at Reika. Putting a knife to someone's throat again? Was she raised by wolves or something?

Edited by -Cynthia-

"Hey, it was either agree to do what they wanted because a) if I didn't agree, I would still be trapped in their base and b) they would kill me if I didn't cooperate. They have their ways of finding us and I can say that I did not tell them our exact locations bitch," she said to Morgan.

"Anyway how does it feel to be at my mercy now you bastard? You had my tied up before and you had that perverted clown chase after me trying to get into my pants. Since you're clearly not going to talk and since nobody is going to miss you, I guess I can say goodbye and see you in hell." With that, Reika stabbed Njord through his jaw upwards.

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" Njord cried out, blood pouring out from his wound. The scream was so loud and painful that it made Alf and Sadie's blood freeze and even Reika winced a little. Njord continued to thrash about, facing Elle but eventually the screaming stopped and Njordjenka fell dead, his eyes open and wide from pain.

"....That was so cruel...." Sadie whispered in horror, a frightened expression on her face.

"Don't get all holy on me. He was asking to die," Reika replied angrily. "Although....that was a little much," she admitted quietly.

"You can't just go around killing everyone you want!" Charlotte yelled at Reika, rather disgusted and upset at the whole thing. "He may have done some terrible things, but it was not your place to decide his fate. You had better start praying that when you find yourself in a similar position, people take more mercy on you than you do on them," she said before walking away. "Ugh, I can't believe those idiots torched the forest. I don't think we're going to find another carriage anytime soon," she complained to anyone listening, pouting.

"I do not know if you are telling the truth or not, but I suppose it does not particularly matter. This group appears to be over and dealt with for the time being," Morgan said, unfazed by the man's death.

Edited by -Cynthia-

"Lady, I know you're a churchie, so I get you'd naturally be retarded. But even a churchie knows that the world doesn't work in your magical fantasy land where being stalked and nearly raped and murdered can be forgiven with just a hug and a kiss. You're such a hypocrite. You wouldn't mind if anyone else here killed him but since it's me, now you get to preach at me," Reika shouted at Charlotte, dissipating the knives but kept her fists clenched.

Charlotte turned around and retorted at Reika. "Churchies, as you so eloquently call them, heal the sick and spread the word of the Goddess. You are a thieving bandit. Do not act as if you understand me. So you have problems Reika; everyone has problems. They in no way justify you being a violent, evil, little bitch. I only chastise those who deserve it, you just deserve it far more than most."

"What? Half of you churchies are fat, greedy, thieving corrupt pigs while the other half are naive incompetent retards whose mind operates in some other reality. You just happen to fall into the latter. Anyway there's no excuse for just easily forgiving a guy who just tried to murder us. If you do not get that, I'm surprised you haven't been murdered already. Anyway, you wouldn't have had a problem if anyone else killed him. So just keep your mouth shut you twat."

The soothing feel of the Goddess' light, warming her body as it passed through her veins, healing the damage done by the unholy assault. As Aiya's eyes opened groggily, her ears were immediately attacked by the shouting nearby.

Some insults were flung, mostly between Charlotte and Reika. From what she had managed to pick up, it seems Reika had executed a prisoner out of nowhere, claiming vengeance, and Charlotte was chastising her over it.

"So, Reika. Seems you are capable of more than flinging insults at Noblemen and Military. You can talk down to innocent clergy and not feel anything of it either. Guess I shouldn't be surprised." Aiya said with an annoyed tone. She hadn't witnessed it personally, but apparently Reika had been pestering Charlotte before they had departed as well.

"But I guess your kind can't live long without conflict, can they? You need chaos to thrive, without it, you can't take advantage of confusion to keep yourself living." Aiya continued, standing from the spot at which she had fallen. As she stood, her stance suddenly became wobbly, a jolt of lingering dark magic rushing through her system, sending her to the ground clutching her torso.

"Tch... damn unholy druid..." She muttered, supporting herself with her free hand.