Astelaine's Sprite Thread

Astelaine

<Gallery updated: 3/18/13>

Splices:

splice_test.pngRound 10. My very first Fire Emblem splice.

round11.pngRound 11

round14.pngRound 14

round16-1.pngRound 16

round17_2b.pngRound 17

round18_2.pngRound 18

josh_king.pngPimp My Unit, Round 1 (Male)

round_25.pngRound 25

levin_comp_zps19e2223e.pngRound 75

Custom mugs:

custom_spr.gif Sirig: My first full custom.

sirig_anim.gif

baird_sheet4.png Baird

tuonela_sheet.png Tuonela

von_sheet-1.png Von

maris_sheet4.png Maris

tuscana_sheet2.png Elibian Nights: Yorick

nivale_sheet2.png Eternal Bond: Nivale/Erela

teharam_sheet2_FE7.png Project Chaos: Teharam/Sebastian

ayron_sheet_v10_x5.png Elibian Nights: Jacob/Archibald

florina_fix4.png Elibian Nights: Florina

estelle_sheet-1.png Estelle

kalisha_sheet2_zpsb840add7.png Kalisha

Thanks for looking at all this junk. Critique is very much appreciated, so if you see anything wrong, I'd love to know about it. smile.gif

Edited by Astelaine

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which characters did you use for 11?

Round 11's characters were Saleh, Cecilia, and Igrene. If you click on the links beside my mugs, you can see the competition thread with the original portraits. :D

I'm in love with your round 11 and 14, just so you know. Those were the worst sets ever and you still came up with those gorgeous sprites.

Thank you! To me, the difficult sets are ultimately the most fun, even though they end up entailing a whole lot of head-desking. >>

As for your custom mug, I'm guessing that she's a Sage?

I was leaning more towards troubador/valkyrie, but mage/sage works too! She definitely looks magical. Actually, she is from one of my original stories, in which she's a queen by marriage who came from a nomadic people. I didn't get the Sacae/nomad vibe from her when I sprited her, though, so she became a caster class :)

I dig round 16 a lot! I just love her palette!

Thanks! It was inspired by Princess Maker 2, which uses this beautiful pink/red/brown color scheme throughout the game and menu screens.

And now, so this post isn't all replies:

round18_2.pnground18_wip.png

Splicing Competition, round 18! It's Robin Hood! ( I had scenes from that awesome Disney movie in my head the whole time, haha.) He's definitely going to become a character on his own, probably a custom mug, because I just love robin hood hats. It didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped due to limited pieces in the splicing set, and I feel I need to do it justice. Right now it's made out of Brunya's collar/lapel pieces, and Hellene's chin/face lines turned upside down to make the top part, then corrected with fixes. On the right, you can see the work-in-progress with different hair and minus the feather.

Here's the other possibility I was toying with for Round 18, even though I ultimately went with hat guy instead:

alvis_young.png

Young Alvis gee_wiz_emoticon.gif

Edited by Astelaine

I was leaning more towards troubador/valkyrie, but mage/sage works too! She definitely looks magical. Actually, she is from one of my original stories, in which she's a queen by marriage who came from a nomadic people. I didn't get the Sacae/nomad vibe from her when I sprited her, though, so she became a caster class :)

A magic user from Sacae is ptretty rare. Does her family background have magic units or was she raised by someone that uses magic?

• 2 weeks later...

Herp derp haven't updated in a bit. Here's a work in progress:

baird_wip.png

It's the guy from Round 18, getting overhauled into his own custom mug. He'll be getting a coat and that Robin Hood hat next. :)

Quick, very flawed sketch reference:

baird.png

Herp derp haven't updated in a bit. Here's a work in progress:

baird_wip.png

It's the guy from Round 18, getting overhauled into his own custom mug. He'll be getting a coat and that Robin Hood hat next. :)

Quick, very flawed sketch reference:

baird.png

If you drew that, please make an art thread.

I'd like to see more.

Also likin' the mug. <3

• 3 weeks later...

Newest stuff:

josh_king.png

Joshua as the king of Jehanna, for the Pimp my Unit competition.

Various parts are from Orson, Fado, Hayden, L'arachel's uncle, and Ismaire. The far eye, eyebrows, and ponytail are custom.

baird_wip2.png

Baird the huntsman WIP. Began shading the hair.

I think the confusing part about the hat is that its hard to tell whether its supposed to be going outward or downward. Because it goes so far over his right eye opv it looks like its sticking out(like it has a bill like a baseball cap or cowboy hat) but then with the type of hat it is and where it is over the left eye it looks likes its actually supposed to be touching his head. And thus it looks weird? I think you should make the middle of the hat match up with the middle of his forehead instead of being over his left eye opv maybe?

I kinda disagree with that, Strawman. I can tell it's touching his head quite fine, actually. Astelaine has shaded directly where the hat touches instead of shading further out which would indicate that there was some part of the hat actually coming out to cause the shadow.

Astelaine, you're doing a great job with this so far.

If Astelaine gave the hat some more depth, or made it seem like it was curving a little in the middle, as to show how the tip of it got to where it is, it would look better. As of now, even though I can see what she's tryin' to do, yes, it looks a little weird.

Yeah, the point of the hat is out so far to the left because the brim is supposed to come out over the forehead a little.

Here's my reference, hopefully you can see where I was going with this:

[spoiler=Robin Hood hat]

menintights.jpg

Seph, I will try adding some depth and curve, and see if that fixes it. Looking at the reference, you are referring to where the hat's flaps "pinch" in to create the protruding tip, right?

I think Acey's right about the shadow too - since the hat comes out over the forehead I'll try adding a shadow on that side of the face.

Thanks so much for the advice guys, it's really helpful. :D

Love the hat. :)

The feather could use a bit of work though... It doesn't look feathery. Maybe make it better and ref. Priscilla's?