Serenes Gaming Challenges (SFGC) #4 Super C (Contra)

Jedi

So, i've been watching some ProtonJon streams again, and well he and BrutalMoose have been doing a cool thing with a few other streamers that they call "Danger Squad" which is basically like the group of 7 or 8 of them, doing some silly/stupid/funny challenge in whatever game the previous winner comes up with, usually older stuff so everyone can manage it easily, and heck sometimes in their challenges not all of them have even played the game(s) in question before. Theres also an odd "punishment" for the loser in their deal, but I think we can avoid that unless we come up with something silly and not full of malice ;P:

I was kinda curious of the denizens of Serenes Forest would like to join me in making something similar, of course it won't just be like FE, but it could be any number of things. Not entirely sure where to start however other than the interest check, would you guys/gals be willing to join me in doing stuff like this? Challenges the group i've been watching has included, "How many lines can someone get in one run of Tetris", "How many Dunks can you do in 3 games of NBA jam against the CPU and if you lose any of the matches the dunks in that game are halved", "Playing Sonic 2 through but you can only die 3 times before you have to quit and your score is your final measurement of points".

I dno how many people would even care about this, let alone come up with silly enough challenges, etc. Or be willing to record potentially bad runs of something.

i'd probably make a playlist on my channel for everyones submissions, while you all would upload your stuff to your own channels, i'd basically be the "hub" of it.

Also the submission forms work like this, from Elieson

If you're tempted to participate in a challenge, then for the sake of joining, I'd request that all entries be submitted anonymously, and have results checked by Jedi (the host) and/or myself (since I'm doing all this work). This way, winners, participants, completionists etc, can be evaluated fairly and not have their work reviewed or copied by others. Of course, you can go out and research these challenges on your own, but where's the fun in that?

If you decide to give a challenge a shot, and record it, you can submit your video at the link below in a simple 5-question Challenge Club Completion Form.

Serenes Forest Gaming Challenges Entry Form

In here, all you add is:
Your SF Username
The challenge joined
If you "completed" it, or if you simply did your best to complete it *There may be instances where the winner isn't determined by completion, but progress completed.
Time/Score *If any.
A URL of your run as proof

Results are compiled at the end of the participation period and announced after a day of review for legitimacy and performance. The challenge joined exists because there may be instances in which more than one weekly challenge may be available for participants to join, or there may be instances in which extended time may be given to perform certain challenges, while others may not have the same available duration.

Challenge #1 -

From Myself (Winner Batter the Beast)

Battletoads & Double Dragon Score Attack Ironman

Play through the game and get as far as possible in one Continue, score determines the winner, you get 5 practice runs, and character choice doesn't matter.

Challenge #2 -

From Elieson

Megaman X Collectathon Ironman

Collect as many items in the game before the Sigma Stages in 1 Life, Revisits are allowed

Powers: 8*2 = 16
Hearts: 8*1 = 8
Parts: 4*2 = 8

Tanks: 4*1 = 4

The way the points work for a total of 36

Challenge #3 - from Tsunami922
The Game? Kirby Superstar for the SNES
The Challenge? The Arena, Speedrun, fastest clear time wins!
Amount of Practice runs? 3
Commentary is Optional, not required.

Since this requires a completed game, Tsunami has offered a save for us to use, it can be found
Here

Remember to name your file the same as the save, also no rom sharing, as that's against Serenes policy.

Challenge #4 - From Deltre

The Game? Super C (Contra)

The Challenge? Its from Deltre

Super C (Contra) for the Nes
The Challenge? No Konami Code, determined by who lasts the longest till they beat the game or are forced to continue, then by score.

Amount of Practice Runs? Since he didn't specify, I'll allow 3

Edited by Jedi

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would be interested in joining regardless of the games but my motivation is uh a thing. Also I've got some "great" ideas!

-Aria of Sorrow (mentioning this because it's the easiest one to emulate over SotN/DS Castlevanias) with only one weapon type (user's choice, they have to tough it out with the Pocket Knife until then). Whoever completes it the fastest wins. Might be a bit long, but it seems interesting enough.

-Same rules as the above Sonic run, but applied to literally any shmup ever. Would definitely be fun because I don't many people here are good at shmups, and if they are and join it then that'd be great because I'd get to know someone who's good at shmups. =D

-SONIC SPINBALL HIGH SCORE LET'S GO THE POWER IS IN YOUR MIND TO SPIN THE BALLS AND CONQUER TIME

Edited by Refa

Would be interested in joining regardless of the games but my motivation is uh a thing. Also I've got some "great" ideas!

-Aria of Sorrow (mentioning this because it's the easiest one to emulate over SotN/DS Castlevanias) with only one weapon type (user's choice, they have to tough it out with the Pocket Knife until then). Whoever completes it the fastest wins. Might be a bit long, but it seems interesting enough.

-Same rules as the above Sonic run, but applied to literally any shmup ever. Would definitely be fun because I don't many people here are good at shmups, and if they are and join it then that'd be great because I'd get to know someone who's good at shmups. =D

-SONIC SPINBALL HIGH SCORE LET'S GO THE POWER IS IN YOUR MIND TO SPIN THE BALLS AND CONQUER TIME

Shump stuff with the same rules haha, I haven't played a shump in such a long time, I actually like all your challenges. Although if people can do Dawn I think that would be better for "weapon" variety.

This sounds like the thing Marthur ran in the FE4 thread for awhile. If I had free time, I'd be game.

Really? Could you go more into it? Like what he did.

Eh sure

You don't have to be interested :P:

Edited by Jedi

I'm just thinking back to SEVENFORCE though I might be misunderstanding the difference between SGC and 7Force

You're entirely misunderstanding, to be blunt. Sevenforce was a group lp commentary idea, SGC is people doing challenges separately from each other and submitting their run to me, so we can compete against each other to see what challenge we do next and the like.

Here's a link to what I think was settled on as the fully formalized rules. Here's one to the scoreboard that we kept to keep track.

Oh thats neato.

This sounds like fun. Throw a challenge at me for a game I own, and I will crush it with my bare hands... holding a controller.

I do think shmups are great for this sort of thing. I'd especially love a new challenge in S&P2.

Ok so I see some interest.

I'll wait to see more, but generally what I'm looking for is, a fun group willing to do games that they have and may not have played before (like if someone puts up a challenge for a game I haven't played, I'll try, I won't do well but i'll try) and there also has to be some ground rules on how the challenges are decided, whether by rotation or winner/loser of a previous challenge or what.

Still a bit to consider, thanks for suggestions and oddly enough yeah Shumps might be a good genre for some of these.

Seems like fun when/if I can get a better computer

This is partly why I kinda want to do old games, at least at the start, because most of us could probably manage that at the very least.

The first challenge that came to mind is

Playing Battletoads & Double Dragon, you get 5 practice runs, and then in your "challenge run" you have to see how far you can make it with not using a single continue, the game is pretty hard, but its littered with 1ups, if you can learn it from your practice runs, you could probably stockpile some lives.

But basically the way it'd work is, everyone would record their "6th" run, after they use their 5 practice runs, whomever gets the most points by the end of their one continue tenure wins, and they may decide the next challenge or pass the duty onto someone else. Commentary is optional, i'll likely do it just for added chance of failure & LP practice.

Not sure how many people would be on board for this, thus the 5 practice runs, the game is on the Genesis & SNES, I don't care which version of the game you play nor do I care which of the 5 characters you use.

Also note in stage 3, you need to spawn a rope in areas with an arrow appearing which you can do with B or one of the other buttons and they will do a wind up animation, don't just jump into the pit with a down arrow :P: I know many a person whos done that.

If people really want me to come up with something different I can, but I figured this might be a funny start.

Edited by Jedi

sounds fun! i'd be interested in doing some of these.

Coolilo, what about the one I just posted, would you be willing to attempt?

I can probably do the Teenage Mutant Ninja Frogs & Final Fight '1987 challenge if I have time.

Just don't forget to do your practice runs! They'll help, I'm already done with 2 of mine. Since its been like since I was 5 or so when I last played it, I'm pretty much just as blind as everyone else.

Also who else is cool with this challenge? I mean I figured not alot of people would be familar with the game so thats why I offered the 5 practice runs before the Recorded 6th

Edited by Jedi

FWIW, Windows 10 has a built in Screen & Window Capture program.

1: Hit WindowsKey = G

2: WinKey + Alt + R starts/Stops recording (or just hit the Rec button)

Files will be saved in your Name\Videos\Captures folder (so in my case, C:\Users\Christopher\Videos\Captures) [Replace Christopher with your account name]

Windows 8 has one as well, but it doesn't capture Audio. You can record two things seperately and combine them in Windows Movie Maker super easily though.

1: Open "Run" and run psr.exe | Alternatively, open your Apps menu and search for "Steps Recorder"

2: Open Apps menu and run "Sound Recorder"

3: Run both

4: Combine both in Windows Movie Maker (syncing and stuff, I can go into more detail if you want).

FWIW, Windows 10 has a built in Screen & Window Capture program.

1: Hit WindowsKey = G

2: WinKey + Alt + R starts/Stops recording (or just hit the Rec button)

Files will be saved in your Name\Videos\Captures folder (so in my case, C:\Users\Christopher\Videos\Captures) [Replace Christopher with your account name]

Windows 8 has one as well, but it doesn't capture Audio. You can record two things seperately and combine them in Windows Movie Maker super easily though.

1: Open "Run" and run psr.exe | Alternatively, open your Apps menu and search for "Steps Recorder"

2: Open Apps menu and run "Sound Recorder"

3: Run both

4: Combine both in Windows Movie Maker (syncing and stuff, I can go into more detail if you want).

Well thats handy for people who have Win10, also you had a suggestion, you're pitching to me on Discord, wanna do it here too?

Elieson - Today at 11:54 AM

Jedi submits Battletoads

Elieson submits...MMX [Challenge Name]

Refa submits MM7[Challenge Name]

Horace submits DKC [Challenge Name]

i mean

For the week of 10/3-10/10

Challenge Time for "Battletoads"

Get recordings in by 10/9, results posted 10/10

or w/e

then next week's challenge

Refa's MM7 Beat X stage without Y powerup challenge

Record for the week, etc etc

multiple challenges at once can be fine if they don't count towards the GLORY

advertise that Elie/Euk/Whoever will make little Sig banners for winning challenges

because fwiw I'll gladly make trophy sig thingies for people who win weekly gaming challenges

Sooo yea

Introduce a collective of Player-submitted challenges in an ever-growing list, come up with a week long queue and post the Top 3 for each challenge

Also, establish rulings that you participate in your own challenge, with players that sign up as House Players (People that participate in the challenges every time/most of the time sans personal reasons) vs Guest Players (People that participate just in the challenges they want to), to add a little sub-group for added involvement if wanted/needed. I'd consider myself a House Player because I can probably dedicate the 1 hour per week per challenge, but for others who can't, they can sit it out etc.

Literally the only thing annoying me with your post is that its not "Battletoads" its "Battletoads and Double Dragon" two seperate games, the latter of which is much easier than the former, which may look intimidating to those who hadn't seen the actual game name.

But I like that, and i'm willing to have as many people as possible per challenge, it'll just depend on the people who want to give it a shot I suppose! I do want Recordings, be they unlisted on channels or otherwise, I just want to be able to group them all into a playlist or something.

Edited by Jedi

Hey do Battletoads for 10/1-10/8, then Battletoads & DD for 10/9-10/10 :P

Also a thought, getting a .SAV file for certain games to share, for the challenge. If say your challenge is Mega Man X: Fastest clear of Storm Eagle [1st] w/o getting hit, then it's not a big deal, but if your challenge is something like Fire Emblem: Beat Chapter 11 HHM Without taking damage, you could provide a .SAV file that has HHM already established.

Just a thought.

Hey do Battletoads for 10/1-10/8, then Battletoads & DD for 10/9-10/10 :P

Also a thought, getting a .SAV file for certain games to share, for the challenge. If say your challenge is Mega Man X: Fastest clear of Storm Eagle [1st] w/o getting hit, then it's not a big deal, but if your challenge is something like Fire Emblem: Beat Chapter 11 HHM Without taking damage, you could provide a .SAV file that has HHM already established.

Just a thought.

Nah I don't want people to hate me @original Battletoads.

Yeah, .SAV's would be simple to provide