Anybody who doesn't like it can three themselves.

Nayr Farros

Love Nayr! I think his design is awesome and love his face and the angle of his head. I have a few problems with him though:

1. The left side of his body looks off. Its angle looks awkward with the rest of him. Maybe moving it up and in some would make it look better.

2. Where the headband meets with the end of his hair. It looks too constricting on his head and I think some of the hair should fall over it in that area.

3. The right collar looks a wee too thick.

I fooled around with it in paint to show you what I mean. I am not saying you should use this because I am sure you could do better but it is just to demonstrate what I am talking about.

Nayr.png

1. The edit you made gives the impression that the cloth is being wrapped around his arm, as opposed to draping over it. You also forget that he has a pauldron on both sides, the cloth has to have girth to show that.

2. How the hair is arranged is up to the designer, it's just a question of how much hair is under it and how much sits over it, and given the length of his hair, there wouldn't be much. Also it's not really a headband, its more of a wrap. I just couldn't fit the knot and ends anywhere without blending into the collar or looking stupid. So assume it's on the other side. And unless you want one to fall off, it has to be tied tightly and the hair has to show that.(The edit was done by ShinyCharmander, who outclasses me.)

3. Fabric can be as thick as the designer wants. And given that the side on our right is facing a different direction plus is on the near side, of course it would appear larger/thicker.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured that he had one pauldron like his previous design, my bad. :P

If it is a wrap on his head then I'd suggest giving it some sort of folds because it really doesn't appear to be a wrap(like Ike's for example). As for the hair, the outer right part is still awkward as hell. I imagine that the band has to be tight on your head to stay there which means it would be close-ish to your scalp and the way it looks now makes it seem like his head is terribly misshapen. The fact that you use the "the hair falls how I the designer wants it" doesn't really work because you have to take in consideration that your hair doesn't just do that when wearing something around your head. I just used an elastic band 'cause it was the closest thing to me to a wrap-type thing and I couldn't get that effect. An elastic band, that's tight as hell. Granted, my hair is long and straight right now, but I still think that it wouldn't happen the way it is with your character.

I think an easy fix (if you refuse to make a bit of hair fall over it to cover that area) is to fix the shading of the outer area of the band because there is too much black there which makes the thickness of the band look inconsistent and makes the hair look awkward.

The last thing is where the cloth is supposed to be draping looks pillowy and too disconnected from the rest of his body. I assume that both pauldrons have the same shape but it doesn't look like the left one is the same as the right one.

As for the collar, that is your choice completely. I just think it looks too big.

Or you could just throw my critique out the window and not improve, up to you~

I figured that he had one pauldron like his previous design, my bad. :P

If it is a wrap on his head then I'd suggest giving it some sort of folds because it really doesn't appear to be a wrap(like Ike's for example). As for the hair, the outer right part is still awkward as hell. I imagine that the band has to be tight on your head to stay there which means it would be close-ish to your scalp and the way it looks now makes it seem like his head is terribly misshapen. The fact that you use the "the hair falls how I the designer wants it" doesn't really work because you have to take in consideration that your hair doesn't just do that when wearing something around your head. I just used an elastic band 'cause it was the closest thing to me to a wrap-type thing and I couldn't get that effect. An elastic band, that's tight as hell. Granted, my hair is long and straight right now, but I still think that it wouldn't happen the way it is with your character.

I think an easy fix (if you refuse to make a bit of hair fall over it to cover that area) is to fix the shading of the outer area of the band because there is too much black there which makes the thickness of the band look inconsistent and makes the hair look awkward.

The last thing is where the cloth is supposed to be draping looks pillowy and too disconnected from the rest of his body. I assume that both pauldrons have the same shape but it doesn't look like the left one is the same as the right one.

As for the collar, that is your choice completely. I just think it looks too big.

Or you could just throw my critique out the window and not improve, up to you~

Long and straight doesn't have the same result as short and shaggy. Plus you need to take into consideration that FE is partly anime styled and their doesn't always apply to our standards. Plus both Vamp and Char worked on that hair and headwrap so I defer to their judgment.

Also take a look at Orson's cloak and pauldrons. I modeled this partly after that because Orson's body was the base of my old Nayr's body.

Draping might not have been the best word to use. Covering might have been better. If you look at Orson, Percival, Roland, Canas, Aion, or half the priest/monks in the game you should get what I mean.

He's all scrunched together o_O Draw a quick shoulder frame and you'll see how parts of his armor and clothes would literally be seeping through his body. It reminds me of people who spend an hour making some character in a Bethesda game, at a single angle, and then turning their character to see how badly they screwed up the face from different angles.

In fact, you should just sketch the entire body sans clothes and armor to see the effects. That collar is HUGE in the back.

I measured the proportions to several characters who have the same angle. Lance, Astohl, Percival, Lowen, Kent, Seth, and Zonta. It fits with all of them.

If your referring to real life proportions, your point is moot as FE sprites use their own.

proportion.png

Also look at Dheginsea's collar in FE9 and 10. Look at several of the characters in FE4. Nayr's collar is small in comparison and how big the collar is is a matter of preference.

Edited by Nayr

I talked to Char about the body.

(7:40:03 PM) Char: I can see him saying that the near pauldron would need to be pushed out a WEE bit. Like a pixel or two. But I really don't see anything atrocious about the proportion. Looks passable to me.

(7:41:11 PM) Char: The body angle is slightly different than the head angle too,but it's whatever.

(7:41:18 PM) Char: you can quote me on that if you need to. lol

I'll take his cnc into consideration, but it means doubling back and redoing the frames and formatting. So I might wait a bit before doing that.

Edit:

NuNayrPalaFormat-2.png

Edited by Nayr

rQC1.png

> near shoulder is a few pixels in from the pauldron, alright looks good

> far shoulder is less pixels in from the cloak, and somehow there's supposed to be a pauldron between the two?

\o_O/

Well angles are a thing, but yeah, agreeing with yeti here. A few pixels might fix that stuff.

Also, Nayr, I like how you've really improved recently. You've been struggling with that for a while in the past (we all know why, though, lol).

But yeah, glad to see that you're becoming better and all.

That body outline he drew was incorrect as well. Here have some 10 second sketch.

[spoiler=herpaderp]rVGN.png

The body under all that armor/cloth business is more slanted towards the farside. The main factor here that points that out is the collar. With that said, pushing the cloak on the far side out more pixels wouldn't give him room horizontally as it would make the cloak push forward from his chest, if that makes sense.

Oooh, nice. I really love his facial features and structure, and the strong personality they convey. The shading is very clean, too. However, a few suggestions:

1. His left cheek area (opv) could use a little more antialiasing.

2. The chin shading looks kind of funky with that horizontal line of 4th skin shade there.

3. It's not terrible, but the hair spikes on the top of his head seem a little silly, a la crazy anime hair. Experiment with their size and position a little.

Overall, though, good job. It's a big improvement over the original, Calad should be very happy. :)

Edited by Astelaine

Oooh, nice. I really love his facial features and structure, and the strong personality they convey. The shading is very clean, too. However, a few suggestions:

1. His left cheek area (opv) could use a little more antialiasing.

2. The chin shading looks kind of funky with that horizontal line of 4th skin shade there.

3. It's not terrible, but the hair spikes on the top of his head seem a little silly, a la crazy anime hair. Experiment with their size and position a little.

Overall, though, good job. It's a big improvement over the original, Calad should be very happy. :)

1. Done

2. Done

3. I tried to stay true to his design. So rather than change the spikey hair, I just super detailed it. I'll just chalk that up to another of about two million zaney and impossible anime hairstyles. I think it's actually the least amount of editing I had to do.:p

request-3.png

New Topic:

I got his crazy idea to make new generic people sprites and release them for open source use. It all looked nice in theory, looked decent in doodles. So I went to work and created a female, but... something went horribly horribly wrong on the hair.

So I present to you guys, Tentacle Head!

girl1.png

Edited by Nayr

I got his crazy idea to make new generic people sprites and release them for open source use. It all looked nice in theory, looked decent in doodles. So I went to work and created a female, but... something went horribly horribly wrong on the hair.

As someone who uses generic characters ALL the time, I would be one person guaranteed to appreciate this.

Edited by Adolf Klokler

Colton-1.png

A new OC. Head is inspired by my Commander Shepard in Mass Effect, body is inspired by Zaeed Massani.

Char gets some props to for helping with it. Namely the face and the shoulder decoration.

I call him Colton.

Edited by Nayr

I like you mug. I particulary love the face: character with scar are generally cool!

Although, I think ther's something wrong with the neck's shading. I don't know if pillowy or just overshade, but it doesn't look right.

Also, his left (our right) shoulder seem to be twice the size of his one shoulder.

sA2v.png

Here you go guys. Here's the original.

I only edited the face and kinda the shape on the near pauldron thing...and lightened under the chin because it was verging on ATTACK OF THE BROWN SKIN TONE. Rest of the neck was Nayr's.

:]

Edited by honeyBADGER

Wow. Your Azel looks really nice! I love the color choices, and the shading is very clean. The design evokes his FE4 art while also maturing him and giving space to your own interpretation. His face in particular is is nicely-constructed and eye-grabbing. Sweet mug!

The only things I think that need work are:

1. The top-right of his hair (opv) is very poofy. Mess around with it a bit so that it observes gravity and falls more naturally.

2. There are a few dark pixels in the 3rd hair shade hanging out in his part area. They need to be connected to something so they don't look like stippling.

3. The folds of his cloak need more definition on his right side (opv) where they drape over the shoulder. The right side of his cloak could use some more folds in general, too, so it's not just a glob of 1st shade.

I think those tweaks will really help him pop. :) And congrats on improving lately - it's really noticeable (to me, at least.) Keep it up!

Wow. Your Azel looks really nice! I love the color choices, and the shading is very clean. The design evokes his FE4 art while also maturing him and giving space to your own interpretation. His face in particular is is nicely-constructed and eye-grabbing. Sweet mug!

The only things I think that need work are:

1. The top-right of his hair (opv) is very poofy. Mess around with it a bit so that it observes gravity and falls more naturally.

2. There are a few dark pixels in the 3rd hair shade hanging out in his part area. They need to be connected to something so they don't look like stippling.

3. The folds of his cloak need more definition on his right side (opv) where they drape over the shoulder. The right side of his cloak could use some more folds in general, too, so it's not just a glob of 1st shade.

I think those tweaks will really help him pop. :) And congrats on improving lately - it's really noticeable (to me, at least.) Keep it up!

Face was made by editing Klein, splicing and editing eyes from FE7 Roy, and the nose from Raven. Collar came from Raven and Eliwood, sleeves from Elbert, and the cloak and hair are custom.

1. Sometimes hair poofs a lot irl. My hair has too much body some days and not enough on others. Lol. I'll see what I can do.

2. It's an attempt at antialiasing. Breaking lines allows more stuff to fit into small places. And Azel's hair was fucking weird in the first place(Whoever designed the TCG art needs to be smacked.)

3. Like with the hair, I recreated the TCG's appearance. Plus it's natural that the near side would be lighter, being closer to the light source.