Does it bother anybody else that Male!Kamui is getting much more coverage?

Yeah, yeah Japan and most gamers in the world prefers male protagonists and all. We know that. That's not the problem.

My issue is that Female!Kamui is hardly shown at ALL.

The only times we got to see her is in her official art with Male!Kamui, one screenshots of her paired up with a cavalier, and another screenshot showing off the customization. That's it. It's pretty ridiculous if you ask me. Even in the trailers, female Kamui was nowhere to be found.

Again, I know that Japan and most gamers prefers male protagonists. However, that is not an excuse to ignore the female protagonists as well. Especially if they're Avatar characters like Kamui.

Edited by Kamui-of-Nohr

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really. It's not like Male Kamui is going to have a much more significant role in the story or anything like that anyways.

Doesn't really bother me.I never really play as a female,anyway,even though I am a female.FE7,my first run of Pokemon Platinum,first and current run of White,one of my current Awakening runs and Omega Ruby run are all the games I can recall playing as a female.

I also prefer making up a character for whatever reason,and those tend to be male.

No, I'm mostly numb to this sort of thing. There's always going to be fools who will put games into the do-not-buy section of their minds just because a woman is in the marketing. It usually isn't a conscious decision, but it is there.

I know that DA:I had to use a male for all of their big promotional stuff even though the game series generally has an equal setting in that regard.

I think it's just because they consider them more marketable.

It was the same thing with Robin. Heck, in the demo, you couldn't even select the female gender.

And that's pretty funny, considering how Female!Robin was more popular than Male!Robin if you looked at the Japan popularity poll.

Yeah, yeah Japan and most gamers in the world prefers male protagonists and all. We know that. That's not the problem.

I think you summed it up nicely. Well at least what the PR team of IS thinks (and most other big game companies in the world).

If I remember well Mass Effect's PR featured mainly Male Shepard and only one trailer features FemShepard

Agreed. It sucks, but that's life.

Sidenote, do you think the game would look significantly different if they pushed the female protagonist way more?

Like, there are certain story things we assume, but would we view them differently if we saw it from a female point of view?

It's annoying, but it's not too big of a deal to me. I hoped that since Pokemon was doing a pretty good job of not prioritizing either one for the most part, Fire Emblem might as well, but that seems to not be the case. At least it's not as bad as Mass Effect.

who cares? gender literally doesn't matter.

Maybe for you, but if you think that's true for the rest of world, turn around.

theory, female kamui isn't shown as often because of the embarressing artwork of double left feet, or was it right feet?

Who cares? Myself and and a few others obviously do!? What kind of question is that? And yes, it does matter believe it or not. I'm sensing some ignorance here.

Agreed. It sucks, but that's life.

Sidenote, do you think the game would look significantly different if they pushed the female protagonist way more?

Like, there are certain story things we assume, but would we view them differently if we saw it from a female point of view?

For myself? Not really. For most people? Yes. People would start asking if the female protagonist is canon, plenty would wonder, ask, and even complain how Male!Kamui is barely shown, and etc... It would change on how most people see the game(s).

The apathy in this thread is just what I expected.

Edited by Kamui-of-Nohr

No. This doesn't bother since the gender will not have much significant in the game. But as for marketing: male dominant society I guess. Since sex sells you would normally expect female Kamui to show up more(unless everyone finds male Kamui more sexy).

then why did you make the thread if this is what you expected?

I'm not allowed to hope for some people to share the same opinion as myself?

The thing is that the coverage we do have is just snippets of gameplay, while female Kaimui is on one of the freaking covers. Its hardly equivalent.

Uh? I'm also talking about promotional material.

since when does gender matter in fire emblem anymore anyways? there doesn't seem to be female and male separate classes anymore, not to mention in awakening character's caps were decided by themselves and not decided from their gender.

honestly its not enough for there to be a female lead, they have to be well written on top of it.

with that said does anyone here actually cares about discussing "canon" of a character you can fully create yourself? the "canon" can be whatever you make it, therefore everyone wins, or they should win.

then why did you make the thread if this is what you expected?

Why do you make worthless posts like this all the time?

No. This doesn't bother since the gender will not have much significant in the game. But as for marketing: male dominant society I guess. Since sex sells you would normally expect female Kamui to show up more(unless everyone finds male Kamui more sexy).

If female Kamui were overtly sexualized, that would follow. But otherwise, it's about the relatability to the lead and the fact that male gamers are more likely to be turned off by a female lead than female gamers are by a male lead. Besides, Camilla is there.

I'm not allowed to hope for some people to share the same opinion as myself?

Uh? I'm also talking about promotional material.

So? This promotional material is hardly about Kaimui its about the game play and introducing ot elaborating on new or different characters, the one place where it matters to have both is in the customization area which is where they did have both. And yes it matters much much more that she is on one of the covers cause that is one of the biggest parts of the game that people actually remember. Edited by goodperson707

^ So? This promotional material is hardly about Kaimui its about the game play and introducing ot elaborating on new or different characters, the one place where it matters to have both is in the customization area which is where they did have both. And yes it matters much much more that she is on one of the covers cause that is one of the biggest parts of the game that people actually remember.

speaking of, she's actually on the cover of the game i'm planning to get, i think thats pretty neat.

its a step up from awakening's "imma show every character but the actual main character" but god forbid we talk about the positives.

They're probably lazy to start another playthrough just for the sake of featuring the same character in a different gender. I personally don't care which gender is shown because all I want is the information.

Is this gonna be like people complaining to Bioware about no Femshep to the point where they gave special boxart.

And that's pretty funny, considering how Female!Robin was more popular than Male!Robin if you looked at the Japan popularity poll.

Well....I think that was only because Chrom was the most popular character overall, so the Avatar that got to romance him (Female Robin) got more votes.

^^ But female Kaimui is already on the Boxart. For the harder game no less.

I get the issue of representation but this is making a mountain out if a molehill

Edited by goodperson707

theory, female kamui isn't shown as often because of the embarressing artwork of double left feet, or was it right feet?

That mistake was already fixed.