• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm happy with Masteries, they're:

-Cool

-Useful without being broken

-Work in a simple manner

I don't know if your trample example isn't really "simple", however...

I've always felt that skills in FE would work better if instead of having skills activate randomly, you'd have a skill gauge that filled up every turn, or maybe every round of combat. Battle skills are activated abilities and cost a certain amount of gauge.

From a gameplay perspective, masteries as they are are really just another kind of critical hit.

From the perspective of a person who isn't a super lame-o (you), masteries are totally kickass and awesome.

That's boring.

You're boring.

I have a hard time to believe that they really knew what they were doing with those anyway. I mean who thought that the Black Knight dealing 120+ points of damage was to low and he needed a separate skill to have it increased to 200+ ?

And who thought adding secondary effects to moves that were guaranteed to kill enemies anyway, made any sense? Like Roar preventing movement for 1 turn in addition to multiplying strength by 3. Has anyone ever had and enemy survive that attack so the effect could actually be activated?

It just adds to my impression that the game is a huge mess, and I don't like that feeling at all.

Edited by BrightBow

Has anyone ever had and enemy survive that attack so the effect could actually be activated?

In 3-10, my Shinon Deadeyed a General (the one with the Horseslayer) and left him on 1 HP...

Anyway, I thought that FE10's Mastery Skills were a vast improvement on their FE9 counterparts, many of which were complete shit.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

In 3-10, my Shinon Deadeyed a General (the one with the Horseslayer) and left him on 1 HP...

Well, I meant in particular the skills which multiply strength. The ones that only multiply the damage after the enemies defense has been taken into account pretty much work like critical hits and can indeed be survived. But to expect someone to survive Rend, Roar or Savage who pretty much multiply attack power before defense is taken into account are absolutely insane and yet for some reason all have an additional effect attached that never gets used.

I have a hard time to believe that they really knew what they were doing with those anyway. I mean who thought that the Black Knight dealing 120+ points of damage was to low and he needed a separate skill to have it increased to 200+ ?

It makes sense that the Black Knight would have his own super-cool skill... although it is a bit weird given that in FE9 he had Luna. I mean you might as well ask whether it was really necessary for Lyon to be weighed down by his weapon when you could have just cut his speed, or whether it was really necessary for dragonstones and the like to give stat bonuses when you could just give Manaketes high stats to begin with, or whether it's necessary for Malte to give +5 skill when you could give it +10 hit and +3 crit and get the same thing.

Alot of the fe9 masteries were complete shit.

fe10 has higher difficulty and is longer...

I'd want something that OHKOes, rather than a waste like fe9 Roar

There is no reason to praise a change from shit into different shit.

It makes sense that the Black Knight would have his own super-cool skill... although it is a bit weird given that in FE9 he had Luna. I mean you might as well ask whether it was really necessary for Lyon to be weighed down by his weapon when you could have just cut his speed, or whether it was really necessary for dragonstones and the like to give stat bonuses when you could just give Manaketes high stats to begin with, or whether it's necessary for Malte to give +5 skill when you could give it +10 hit and +3 crit and get the same thing.

And those are good questions.

I kinda wish they had Maelstrom (like in FE9) for Naesala as a mastery instead of Tear. Like he could totally use Wind magic! That was awwweeesome! Y U TAKE THAT AWAY RD? RD's Maelstrom sucked. I mean come on, Naesala isnt getting hit.

I think Flare and Sol were pretty great in RD and should be left alone. Stun was cool but since it did so much damage, its cool effect was nigh useless. Corona really sucked.

I kinda wish they had Maelstrom (like in FE9) for Naesala as a mastery instead of Tear. Like he could totally use Wind magic! That was awwweeesome!

That was Vortex, not Maelstrom.

RD's Maelstrom sucked. I mean come on, Naesala isnt getting hit.

On my last PT, Naesala got hit by a crossbow on 4-3 and went from 44 HP to 4... What was that about Naesala not getting hit, again?

Edited by NinjaMonkey

take a look back at 1 of the 20 previous threads on this topic, I redesigned all skills to be more unique and less overpowered.

however I will not provide a link, I have searched those links back too many times.

take a look back at 1 of the 20 previous threads on this topic, I redesigned all skills to be more unique and less overpowered.

however I will not provide a link, I have searched those links back too many times.

Well in that case we now know precisely nothing of any value that we didn't know before you posted. Congratulations?

Well in that case we now know precisely nothing of any value that we didn't know before you posted. Congratulations?

thank you.

all I wanted to state is that this topic has been discussed too many times already

There is no reason to praise a change from shit into different shit.

Yeah, there is.

For most of the mastery skills in FE9 you look at it and note "damn, this skill is totally worthless". In FE10, you look at it and note "damn, this skill is actually pretty fucking useful". The fact that they're not diverse doesn't change the fact they're effectively OHKO's, which is a clear advantage from a gameplay perspective, and something worth being glad about.

Edited by Dirk Strider

That was Vortex, not Maelstrom.

On my last PT, Naesala got hit by a crossbow on 4-3 and went from 44 HP to 4... What was that about Naesala not getting hit, again?

I forgot what the FE9 one was called. Sue me. And why was Naesala hanging around the crossbow guys anyway? Even if he has mad dodge, thats still too risky.

"This one time, Naesala did get hit!"

What was the hit rate? Honestly curious here.

I'm happy with Masteries, they're:

-Cool

-Useful without being broken

-Work in a simple manner

... err what?

Masteries ARE broken.

Though, I love the bit about:

> Lethality

IS Staff: It's too broken!

> Change to "Leaves them at 1HP".

:O