Rate the Unit, Day 8: Aran

PKL

Dat Rules (borrowed/stolen from Integrity)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode (JP Maniac).

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "she brings a Savior to the team" as an argument.

- BEXP is free to be used in any quantity on any character.

- Skills can be reassigned freely.

- No transfers.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

Averages:

Leonardo: 2.531

Laura: 5.139

Edward: 6.316

Micaiah: 6.5

Nolan: 9.069

Sothe: 8.938

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You put Nolan and Soth in the wrong order!

Anyway...

A lot of people say Aran is a tank but from what I can see, while he has okay Defence he's so slow he gets doubled very easily, his HP is mediocre so he can't even take very many hits and he can't dodge. His offence also leaves a lot to be desired but even the people who like him aren't using him for that. As a sidenote he has a 33 Speed cap so he can't double Endgame bosses (not something important but it does seem to show that even if you raise him you aren't getting anything useful out of it...).

4/10!

I may or may not give him a negative bias point, we'll see later.

Bland personality coupled with ok defense growths. The way I see it, if you are getting doubled for your entire career, you aren't very good.

A solid tank, which the DB likes, but extremely average and prone to SPD screwing that can render his long-term usefulness nil. If he gets lucky or you have a clever plan with BEexp (it better be extremely clever), he can be okay all the way through Part 3. Once you get into Part 4, though, it's extremely hard to recommend him over just about any other tanky character, since most of them have good defense and great offense.

5/10

7/10 - my Aran always ends up with really high speed somehow. Great tank, better with him than without him for the DB. Loses out for availability and coming extremely underleveled.

He can tank because of his ok defense, but he has major speed problems meaning he will most likely be getting doubled all the time. He also has the personality of a cardboard box, but that is essentially most of the dawn brigade so not going to use that bias against him.

5/10

Tanks well. Can chip damage well. Useful, especially if your sending Jill to the Grail Mercs (which is what I do) to get her more EXP. There isn't anything else positive to say about him. Since his Spd/avoid are shit and never will get a good amount without bonus EXP investment. He also should get Fortune from Meg. Because his Luck is also shit and will get critted easily without it. Lower HP might be a problem for him too. Since he can't tank well in the later chapters without careful deployment. In the NM, he might be considerable to use. In the HM, you should avoid using him and go with Nephanee instead. Because of her better Speed, Luck, and doubling ability. His love for Laura is a plus for him though. And to wrap this debate up! =)

lauraaran.jpg

0.5/10

Edited by リンダ

3/10 his tanking ability is really overrated for HM. Enemies actually have the firepower to break through his defenses now (e.g. base Aran gets 2RKO'd by the whole map in 1-4, just the chapter after he joins, and Tigers are still very likely to 2RKO him cleanly in the part 3 chapters). Instead of being ZOMG BEST TANK EVAR!!!!1 like in the lower modes, his durability is roughly similar to Nolan and Jill in part 3 (and of course shitstomped by Volug). His speed is also far more of a liability now; he's constantly at an arms race to not get doubled, which can turn 3-4HKOs into clean 2RKOs and 2HKOs into 1RKOs. (This also cripples his offense, by the way.) -1 bias because his rabid, delusional, ridiculously butthurt fanboys piss me off.

He can still be a great endgame unit, though. He just needs a lot of work to get there. Emphasis on the "a lot."

P.S. Are you sure about the "no transfers" rule? Some characters get a pretty significant boost in performance with them; why not have, for example, an Ike rating and an Ike(T) rating for those who use transfers?

Edited by Black★Rock Shooter

He can tank because of his ok defense, but he has major speed problems meaning he will most likely be getting doubled all the time.

Well, I don't know about all the time. Obviously Myrms and Cats, but even Nolan gets doubled by them sometimes. He gets doubled, but only when he's seriously underlevelled; and if he's underlevelled, his defense is bad.

P.S. Are you sure about the "no transfers" rule? Some characters get a pretty significant boost in performance with them; why not have, for example, an Ike rating and an Ike(T) rating for those who use transfers?

Will want to invest some bonus EXP into him to get him surefire better spd and luck. Both which are needed to make the Black Knight battle in Chapter 3-7 manageable. Which Ike needs exactly 27 Speed to not get double attacked and KO'ed by him. That is if u want to recruit Lehran.

Edited by リンダ

Will want to invest some bonus EXP into him to get him surefire better spd and luck. Both which are needed to make the Black Knight battle in Chapter 3-7 manageable. Which Ike needs exactly 27 Speed to not get double attacked and KO'ed by him. That is if u want to recruit Lehran.

...or just hit the man with a magic card. clean and efficent.

I really really REALLY like using Aran and MY GOD, does he suck the living shit out of me. At least he has many chapters of free deployment and can chip in then

4/10

obvious bias point is obvious

I don't care what anyone else says, I like Aran. He's sort of like Oswin, except he sacrifices some defense for extra movement, which is a plus. He's still about the bulkiest DB you get, discounting Volug. He has a decent weapon type, and doesn't need many resources (like Nolan with the Draco) to do what he needs to do. He has some speed issues, but once he caps Strength, Skill and Defense you can stuff him with BEXP to raise his ailing Speed, which is just enough to get by. As long as he's not doubled by Tigers in 3-6* he's golden.

*He needs 15 AS to avoid the fastest Tiger doubling him. His base is 10, and he gets 1 from promotion, so he should be fine at his average stats, and if worst comes to worst there's BEXP and a Speedwing.

7, +1 bias = 8/10

A Dawn Brigade unit with high defense! He's basically Nolan with less HP and speed, but more defense. His speed isn't that big of an issue as long as he's given enough EXP, and he'll survive better than Edward can. Nolan and Aran support helps him out quite a bit since it'll buff up his defense even more, and Nolan also likes the avoid+defense bonus. He'll most likely start to struggle keeping up past 3-6, which is unfortunate. +1 bias for highest defense growth in the game.

6.5/10

Edited by Zman

Aran, the defector of the Begnion Occupation force.

Pros:

Dat defense.

Good strength.

Cons:

Shitass speed.

Extremely bland.

Aran is an ok unit. So ok that he never stands out too much. He does however, tank like a badass after a few levels. Thats his only claim to fame. Tanking. He cant double anything and his speed growth is in the shitter. He can hit pretty hard but yeah.... Hes so fucking bland! I mean, i cant even really talk much about him outside "he tanks."

4.5/10. He can be useful if youre arsed i suppose.

3/10

Aran doesn't have the base stats to be very useful when he joins and poor Spd growth doesn't make him a good investment either. He's not hopeless, but he's not very useful either.

I don't care what anyone else says, I like Aran. He's sort of like Oswin, except he sacrifices some defense for extra movement, which is a plus. He's still about the bulkiest DB you get, discounting Volug. He has a decent weapon type, and doesn't need many resources (like Nolan with the Draco) to do what he needs to do. He has some speed issues, but once he caps Strength, Skill and Defense you can stuff him with BEXP to raise his ailing Speed, which is just enough to get by. As long as he's not doubled by Tigers in 3-6* he's golden.

*He needs 15 AS to avoid the fastest Tiger doubling him. His base is 10, and he gets 1 from promotion, so he should be fine at his average stats, and if worst comes to worst there's BEXP and a Speedwing.

7, +1 bias = 8/10

Aran isnt getting to 15 spd before 3-6 dude. Also, how is Aran not needing resources? He needs the beastfoe, a steel lance forge, a speedwing, BEXP and probably the draco to function well in HM. Not going to count your vote.

Aran isnt getting to 15 spd before 3-6 dude.

Yeah, he's terrible against those 18AS Tigers in 1-E?

Also, it's a bit of an exagerration to say that Aran needs all those resources. It's true that he can't really function without them if you're playing at the fastest pace (6 turns in 1-6, 5 turns in 1-7, 3 turns in 1-8, 6 turns in 1-E), but I fear that these rating topics will get very stale if you only permit people to talk about the fastest possible strategies.

Edited by Anouleth