The 3D Effect

Kyea

So what do you guys think they'll do with 3D as a part of the new FE, if anything at all?

Personally, I'm wondering if this might mean more upper versus lower levels like in RD. It might look pretty cool in 3D.

But what other fun things can they do?

I can only see it being done in battle, with things like birds flying overhead during the map portion of gameplay, and possible during cinematics. Other than that, it just doesn't really fit in anywhere with the gameplay footage we've seen.

That is, I'm assuming you're talking about the 3D depth effect that the 3DS makes use of, and not 3D graphics as in polygons :p

I can only see it being done in battle, with things like birds flying overhead during the map portion of gameplay, and possible during cinematics. Other than that, it just doesn't really fit in anywhere with the gameplay footage we've seen.

That is, I'm assuming you're talking about the 3D depth effect that the 3DS makes use of, and not 3D graphics as in polygons :p

Yes, the depth and not the polygons :P

Give people headaches?

Pretty much this. I never use 3D on my 3DS except when I'm battling important bosses or doing important levels because it hurts my head.

But I'm guessing they're going to put animations in 3D, and maybe FE10 style cutscenes would be cool.

I was wondering if they might do more 3rd dimension in battle just to show it off a little too.

Like maybe flying units will actually be able to go up and down a little. That would be kinda a cool new element as well.

As far as the headaches go, that's too bad for you guys, but mine doesn't give me that problem at all.

For those with the headaches, this should hopefully be common sense, but you've adjusted the depth to be lower, right? The effect is still quite there and perceptible, but at the deeper levels, your eyes have to adjust to the depth and strain more. I know some people can't help themselves but try and play at max no matter what--and never try adjusting the setting to their balances.

For those with the headaches, this should hopefully be common sense, but you've adjusted the depth to be lower, right? The effect is still quite there and perceptible, but at the deeper levels, your eyes have to adjust to the depth and strain more. I know some people can't help themselves but try and play at max no matter what--and never try adjusting the setting to their balances.

Yeah, it can still strain your eyes after long periods of time though. Some people (like moi) play for hours on end.

If they can pull it off....it will be great. Mario kart 3d is the only one that the 3d actually seemed pretty nice to me.

Ocarina of Time 3D is pretty amazing.

I don't think Fire Emblem is graphically impressive enough to warrant extensive use of 3D, although I wouldn't mind seeing some awesome new CGI cutscenes that make use of it.

Yeah, it can still strain your eyes after long periods of time though. Some people (like moi) play for hours on end.

Well yeah, 3D mode isn't supposed to be used heavily. You're supposed to take breaks. So it only makes sense that people who can game for hours and hours will have to play a lot of the time in normal mode lest the headache from 3D usage accumulates into a catastrophic headache.

I'm quite excited for it myself, I think the battle animations will be 3D, but I didn't pay enough attention to the videos to see which things are most likely to use 3D and which aren't (and we know that clips without cuts are the same type of graphics, i.e. top screen or bottom screen).

Edited by Strawhat Luffy

Really? The birds in FE10 made my experience more enjoyable. The little nuances of atmosphere and ambiance that Intelligent Systems has start putting in their games (rolling clouds, animate rivers, wavering grasses) are really quite refreshing, and augment my experience for the better.

(in terms of the rules of the gameplay, yes, they aren't very susceptible to a change in percieved dimension)

Edited by Celice

Really? The birds in FE10 made my experience more enjoyable. The little nuances of atmosphere and ambiance that Intelligent Systems has start putting in their games (rolling clouds, animate rivers, wavering grasses) are really quite refreshing, and augment my experience for the better.

These kinds of small touches are cool, but they don't need 3D to work.

They do, however, benefit greatly, were they rendered with use of the depth effects.

I don't agree, to put it bluntly. I don't notice little touches in games and think "they're cool but if they were in 3d they'd be so much cooler". For example, in Metroid Prime 1, when using the X Ray Visor, you can see the bones in Samus' hand, and they correspond to the symbol for each Beam. I can't say that would really be improved by the addition of 3D.

Meanwhile when they add the motion controls and "better" graphics in Trilogy they take away the hand bones.

That bugged me. Sometimes, this stuff has costs.

Edited by Othin

I don't agree, to put it bluntly. I don't notice little touches in games and think "they're cool but if they were in 3d they'd be so much cooler". For example, in Metroid Prime 1, when using the X Ray Visor, you can see the bones in Samus' hand, and they correspond to the symbol for each Beam. I can't say that would really be improved by the addition of 3D.

It all depends in the example. Magic effects can definitely get a little oomph from it, in battle or on the overmap animations. Maybe someone casts Volcanon, and an eruption of molt spews out towards the player? In terms of aesthetics, gale-thrown leaves can also swish in and out of various levels of depths, both behind characters and in front of them (close enough that the depth appears to jump out at you at times). Warping used to caste pentagrams on the floor--one side of the symbol can stretch around a unit, extending "out" of the screen at the point nearest to the player.

I shouldn't think you'd agree a static effect would benefit from depth perception. They're static--it is the animate that makes better use of it.

Sadly, we've already seen the POV for commanding units, so not many effects are likely to make it that far up, and in battle, we have to deal with the camera angle that (recently) became less stoic and more dynamic. But there's still room for interesting effects to pop in and dazzle the player here and there.

Give people headaches?

I always turn the 3D up to full, and I've never had a headache because of it...

Anyway, I'd like to see the battle animations in 3D, if nothing else.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

I don't think the 3D is the best feature in the 3DS. The improved graphics are, and that's all I'll be paying attention to.

If there are some that are cool enough, such as magic as mentioned before I may turn it up just for those animations. but that's all.