Joerachi's Emporium of Sprites of Differing Quality

Joerachi

I'll bite. . .

She lacks whites in her eyes. The base of her neck looks too thick. Her shoulders are uneven. . . Hair needs shading in the middle rather than wholy on the sides.

Um. . . hope that helps.

Did you look at the other one? XD

And @Everyone else

I see what you're getting at, but let me quote Super FE3 Player.

I've probably seen just as many sprite slices that have all of the same problems as n00b custom made sprites. I would learn to start drawing custom sprites from the get-go in order to have more personalized portraits that don't look like yet another Eliwood or yet another character with some other guy's hair slapped on and armor that's changed shape.

It's not like I'm gonna be all like 'Oh I'll do FC's only since I made a not well-made FC'. I'm kinda taking what SFE3P said to heart here but that's not to excuse the not well made sprite by any means, but still. Meh, maybe this is just me not taking criticism well like I usually do. I'll try to limit myself to mainly splices but I do wanna try to tackle FCing every now and again. I am going to try to make this better though, regardless of how horrible it is.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe, we say you should do splicing because it is IMPOSSIBLE to just grasp FCs that easily. You say you want to fix it, but, if you spliced for a while (and I do mean a while) you could actually do the FC without it looking bad.

I've probably seen just as many sprite slices that have all of the same problems as n00b custom made sprites. I would learn to start drawing custom sprites from the get-go in order to have more personalized portraits that don't look like yet another Eliwood or yet another character with some other guy's hair slapped on and armor that's changed shape.

And since when is SFE3P the end-all-be-all of taking advice from?

The only way this advice is useful is if you have a firm grasp of proportions.

Starting FCs from the get-go without such is ridiculous.

You've got myself, Astelaine, Furetchen, and Phoenix telling you to not do FCs, and you'd still rather listen to one mediocre artist?

'Kk, Joe.

Have fun.

Edited by Amera

You've got myself, Astelaine, and Phoenix telling you to not do FCs, and you'd still rather listen to one mediocre spriter?

Add me to that list.

You really need an an advanced knowledge of either spriting or of art before you can even hope to start FCs. Hel, you barely have the basics. You really need to practice the fundamentals...study, learn and most importantly practice. You'll be able to do them one day, but...not now.

Alright. While I will till try to get this one fixed, I'll stick to splicing for a while. This isn't to say I won't try to FC every now and again (And by 'Now and Again, I mean 4-6 months.). Alright, back to noob corner ;-;

Did you look at the other one? XD

What other one?

Though, in general, you really will want to reference other mugs alongside yours (side by side). From what I can see, the shading and anatomy isn't good, so comparing them to FE mugs will help, though how much it does differ is based on your abilities. As you said, sticking to splicing for now is probably for the best. However, if you do want to continue that full custom now, do it side by side to other (FE) mugs based on how you plan to do your mug (face angle, clothes, skin, etc). That will help a bit, but truthfully it doesn't mean it'll come out good.

Please listen to someone who's been spriting for three years, now. I know what I'm talking about.

This is gonna sound really, mean, but um, three years? And you have trouble

with trim still?

My point of view, you don't need to splice much. In fact, you don't need to

splice at all to learn. I started out doing heavy customs over bases. I

suggest that if you're really interested in getting into custom work.

FirstFC-16.png

kaboom.

Fixed a lot of things in general.

Also here's an entry for the reclassing competition.

SniperSaleh-1.png

Simple splice is simple.

Also, thanks to Legendary Reverse Trap for advice on the skin and neck.

Edited by Joerachi

Quality should be learned first, size second. That said, her face has improved immensely from the last time sprite.

The shading on Saleh and Innes where they meet has too much brown. From the collar overlapping his neck, use the third or second darkest skin color and minimize the amount of the second darkest skin tone you're using. So the same concept as neck shading, basically.

FirstFC-18.png

After having a near heart attack,I have it at a slightly larger size. Head is a little small though, but I think it's good otherwise, now prove me wrong, everyone

Gladly.

firstfc18.png

I took one of the smaller characters in FE, Lalum, neoned her and stuck her on top of your sprite, and, as you can see, your sprite is ridiculously small in comparison to it.

Joe, if you really wanna custom, I suggest doing what Boney suggested. Custom things over an already existing FE sprite.

Edited by seph1212

• 2 weeks later...

LOOK AT ALL OF THIS DUST.

ArmorKnight-1.png

Armor knight man.

His head is not in angle with the body. His head is also too small for the armor, and the shading on the skin around his bangs needs to be fixed. I think a change of armor would be best.

FirstFC-21.png

FC has been worked on and improved (?????)

It's improved, but there are still problems. Such as her right (our left) eye being tilted (the bottom part of her eye is angled). . . when her right eye isn't. Her right (our left) breast also looks off, but she could maybe have a large chest. Anyway, here are a few other problems I noticed:

joefix.png

Yellow boxes: Hair shading needs to be fixed. Referencing some FE mugs will help.

Wine(ish) box: Shading is awkward around the neck and collarbone.

Pink box: Nose is wrong. I'm not sure if you're going for a front view or if her head is turned. . . So, if front view: fix the bottom part of the nose and reference FE6 Anna's mug to see how the nose should be at that angle. If it's a side view, you might want to reference Lyn's semi-forward gaze mug but also fix the eye to show that it is a (somewhat) side view.

Red lines: Where I think the neck and the shoulder should be (your mileage may vary. . . probably).

JoeyFESpriteReduz-6.png

And a quick update on my persona. This better?

Better. However, the shading around the bangs needs to be fixed and also where the neck meets the collar.

Move the mouth back up, it's too far down now.

I agree.

Also, the neck and stuff looked better before. Now it looks like he has a really long neck and nothing else. What Cymbeline meant was there needs to be some anti-aliasing where the neck meets the collar.

Here are some examples:

Examples.gif

I drew on your sprite in red as well to show how I think the neck should like(though that is purely my opinion and you may think otherwise).

Anywho, I hope this helps! And keep at it cause you sprite is really coming along. :)

Edited by Ecut