I don't understand all these pairing optimization topics.

Darros

Literally the only thing that matters in the long run is passing down gender specific skills ((IE Galeforce)), I don't understand why people make such a huge deal about +/- like 2 to children's final stats. Just pair who you want. ;/

I agree with Darros (Gregor), just pair who you want.

In my playthrough I did VaikexMaribelle despite is wasn't the most optimal choice for either of them (Vaike finds better options in Lon'qu and Chrom) while Maribelle just wants to heal people for experience and general backup for the team. A simple +2/-2s don't make any difference in the long run because there still exists silly game-breaking stat-ups (You know, tonics, pair-ups, Rallies, etc.).

Edited by Enkidu

I'm somewhat annoyed by the new thread spam, but there's nothing wrong with the sentiment of trying to optimize your team. Not interested in it personally, but a lot of people seem to be willing to help those who ask, which is fine.

Thanks for contributing to the first thing, by the way.

Well to be fair if you just want to pair who you want you have two other save slots most of the time. I just won't feel satisfied until I have that team you just won't mess with. But thats personal preference.

When people ask an optimization question, they get a quick answer. This encourages more optimization threads to pop up. The people of Serenes unfortunately tend to be too helpful for their own good.

Perhaps we should make a pairing/optimization general sticky, for people to ask questions and get answers?

I'm sure a thread like that would both thrive and remove a lot of the clutter in this subforum.

It's a fun mental exercise, to me. Even more fun when marriages have already been made and the exercise becomes trying to maximize the leftover pieces.

Also, just saying, but Stats < Skills.

It's kinda like how most games before, people valued stats over everything. In FE7, Marcus was considered the worst unit for many years for his poor growths and inability to cap his stats. Now in the present, people now claim he's the best unit in the game for the sole fact that someone looked at the enemy stats and realized how easy Marcus has it for a big portion of the game.

Awakening kinda stretches the cap modifiers a bit too much. It's not really proven how "+1 or 2 Spd" actually makes too much of a difference in the long run once people start capping out. And because little was known about Apotheosis, people had the habit to having as high stats as possible, until the fact came that Apotheosis enemies are pretty easy to kill with Dual Brave weapons and Luna.

In all, I guess the only thing I really care about in pairing units now would be to have little class overlap, because otherwise it'll bug me.

I personally hate those threads and the "How is my (insert unit name)" threads in all the sub-forums.

I would love to see a general topic for that stuff get stickied.

Literally the only thing that matters in the long run is passing down gender specific skills ((IE Galeforce)), I don't understand why people make such a huge deal about +/- like 2 to children's final stats. Just pair who you want. ;/

I'm sorry, but what?

Passing down class sets is a huge part of it, probably much more important than merely passing gender-specific skills.

For example, Severa cares a lot more about making sure she has access to Luna than she does about having a dad who passes down Counter or Axefaire or something.

And optimal stat modifiers has not been the focus of pairing optimization for a while now.

I certainly don't think that anybody is trying to force anyone to play with optimal pairings, but keep in mind that 90% of the optimal pairing topics are started by people asking for advice. It makes just as little sense to tell them that they shouldn't care about optimization as it does to tell people that they need to have optimal pairings.

I do agree that a general topic/section would be nice, although I have my misgivings about a single topic, and an entire section for optimization seems like overkill.

I'm with Interceptor on this one.

There should be two stickied topics: one for statistical-based pairings and one for people to discuss plot-related pairing stuff. There's too many topics scattered here about these two things.

And while I'm complaining, these voting topics have gone overboard. They never stop. T_T

Edited by Phoenix Wright

I'm sorry, but what?

Passing down class sets is a huge part of it, probably much more important than merely passing gender-specific skills.

For example, Severa cares a lot more about making sure she has access to Luna than she does about having a dad who passes down Counter or Axefaire or something.

And optimal stat modifiers has not been the focus of pairing optimization for a while now.

But why does she need Luna. Offense is literally overkill in this game anyway, it's not really like "x character needs y skill SO BADLY" when literally every characted can wreck if you train them enough. ;/

Because that's the point of min-maxing, which is generally what people are talking about when they say "optimization".

I can clear FE13 with an Avatar solo easily enough. Since I don't need anyone but the Avatar, does that mean that there's no point in training up anyone else?

Some people enjoy beating the game with the minimum required (efficiency), but some people also enjoy taking the maximum amount of time/turns/EXP/whatever and curbstomping the DLC or whatever. And that's not even beginning to talk about StreetPass optimization.

And I didn't say Severa needs Luna, merely that she cares about having Luna way more than she cares about any male-specific skill that could be passed down.

And while I'm complaining, these voting topics have gone overboard. They never stop. T_T

Wait, were we talking about the optimal pairing topics or the voting topics? Now I'm confused.

Wait, were we talking about the optimal pairing topics or the voting topics? Now I'm confused.

OP is about optimal pairing topics, but this is an overall "complaint" topic, and I had something else on my mind FE13 related that I could complain about, so I did.

Edited by Phoenix Wright