I can't enjoy Awakening anymore (dramatization)

Flying Butt

Wrong place to post this, sorry

First things first: I'm from Spain, so if I say something weird just let me know.

Awakening was my first Fire Emblem and I really loved it, I have played it for more than 270 hours. So, I enjoyed it so much that I decided to play the older ones.

Shadow Dragon, Blazing Sword and Path of Radiance (so far).

Path of Radiance became my new favorite FE game (even before finishing it) and when I was done with it I decided to start a new game in Awakening. But the thing is that now I realize it lacks of most things I loved from the older ones ;_;

I knew about some FE fans not liking Awakening as much as the other FE games, but I didn't understand it until now.

I mean, I still like it, but...it's so fucking weird to me, it was my favorite FE and now I don't like it that much anymore.

And then I go to the Awakening forums (Gamefaqs mostly) and the only kind of posts I can find are fights about waifus, husbandos, which character has the largest breasts and that kind of stuff.

I'm glad they made Awakening, because that's how I got into the series, but I really hope they make new FE like the older ones...

PS: Or maybe I just played Awakening too much and I'm tired of it and this post was for nothing (well, at least I practiced my English).

Edited by Boku

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... I suppose even after being in an FE forum I'm still fairly... "uncultured" I suppose when it comes to FE, mainly the only other games I've played are FE9 and 10. I've only played a bit of FE7 and a bit of FE8 and a couple chapters of FE4

I just... don't quite get that feeling. I enjoy FE9 and 10 for what they are, but I also enjoy FE13 for what it is.

Idk I'm easy to please

(also I understood your english just fine =o)

Edited by Freohr Datia

Well... I suppose even after being in an FE forum I'm still fairly... "uncultured" I suppose when it comes to FE, mainly the only other games I've played are FE9 and 10. I've only played a bit of FE7 and a bit of FE8 and a couple chapters of FE4

I just... don't quite get that feeling. I enjoy FE9 and 10 for what they are, but I also enjoy FE13 for what it is.

Idk I'm easy to please

(also I understood your english just fine =o)

Same here. I feel that there are things to like and dislike about all the FEs so I just like all of them for their good points and call it a day.

FE13 doesn't have to be your fave just because it was your first. If its fun to play occasionally alongside the rest of them, that's all you need. Everyone's favorites may change over time; doesn't mean you can't enjoy what you used to like most for its merits. At least, that's what I think...

Same here. I feel that there are things to like and dislike about all the FEs so I just like all of them for their good points and call it a day.

FE13 doesn't have to be your fave just because it was your first. If its fun to play occasionally alongside the rest of them, that's all you need. Everyone's favorites may change over time; doesn't mean you can't enjoy what you used to like most for its merits. At least, that's what I think...

I completely agree. The "I can't enjoy it anymore" was an exaggeration, I still like it. But I was really shocked when I realized that I don't like it as much as I did before.

Thanks for the answers, by the way. This post was just to release my recently acquired frustration and practice my English :D but I think I fucked up by choosing the wrong subforum.

Edited by Boku

I like Awakening, but in this respect I like it the same way I like FE2. They're both quite unique, and their uniqueness makes makes them more fun to me; more because of the uniqueness of the game mechanics than because of the game mechanics themselves. I like FE2 and I like FE13 because there are quite a few features in these games that are unique, but I wouldn't want Fire Emblem to adopt the uniqueness of either of these games as its standard.

I like Awakening, but in this respect I like it the same way I like FE2. They're both quite unique, and their uniqueness makes makes them more fun to me; more because of the uniqueness of the game mechanics than because of the game mechanics themselves. I like FE2 and I like FE13 because there are quite a few features in these games that are unique, but I wouldn't want Fire Emblem to adopt the uniqueness of either of these games as its standard.

Maybe that was my problem. Awakening was my first FE, then I played the others and they are pretty different, I ended up liking them even more. Then I came back to Awakening and I realized that is not the same. Maybe I had it idealized or something.

It's still one of my favorites, but I wasn't expecting to feel like that playing it again.

Maybe I had it idealized or something.

It's still one of my favorites, but I wasn't expecting to feel like that playing it again.

That is exactly what the typical veterans do.

Except they don't idealize it like I did as well.

I still love it to death. But I realize its flaws. But it doesn't stop it from being a fun game.

If anything, love it for the gameplay and customization.

I never finished Awakening. It felt too much like an RPG where I am supposed to min/max as opposed to an RPG where I am supposed to employ strategy and I just did not enjoy it nearly as much as the other games I have played in the series (which is most of them). I recognize its experimental nature and its contributions to the series, but if the next Fire Emblem is more Awakening than Fire Emblem I won't buy it.

I never finished Awakening. It felt too much like an RPG where I am supposed to min/max as opposed to an RPG where I am supposed to employ strategy and I just did not enjoy it nearly as much as the other games I have played in the series (which is most of them). I recognize its experimental nature and its contributions to the series, but if the next Fire Emblem is more Awakening than Fire Emblem I won't buy it.

I wouldn't go that far, I mean...I will buy the next Fire Emblem even if I have to buy a Wii U, but what you say is exactly how I feel.

In the other games I needed strategy, in Awakening you need to grind a little and make good child units. And when you have them, you don't have to worry about almost anything else.

But even so, I really liked it. Maybe because it was my first FE or maybe because it was just fun to play, but for me it's the best 3DS game so far.

It's kind of fun how I'm now defending it XD I didn't want to create a hate post or something, I just wanted to express myself about how I felt, write in English and also being a little more active in this forum.

reality check here

I have played it for more than 270 hours.

this probably has a lot to do with why you don't enjoy awakening anymore; you played a single player game for three hundred hours

EDIT: for the record, having invested (i have no idea really but probably) two thirds of that i don't play it much anymore even though i think it's the greatest in the series by far

EDIT2: what are conjugation

Edited by Integrity

That is exactly what the typical veterans do.

Except they don't idealize it like I did as well.

I still love it to death. But I realize its flaws. But it doesn't stop it from being a fun game.

If anything, love it for the gameplay and customization.

Reminds me a bit of the FE4 discussions that used to be all over the place saying, but that's a different story.

I think all in all, whichever one you play first will affect your judgement for it and others, despite if you know it or not. My first FE was Sacred Stones, and it took me a while before I realized I was calling it my favorite but couldn't actually give a reason other than it was the first I played. I used to hate FE7 but couldn't give a reason other than "I can't access shops on the world map". After playing everything in the series(other than fe1-3), I can enjoy most(I can't stand FE5 nor FE13) of them a fair amount. I can look back at FE8 now and say that I enjoy the game probably more for the nostalgia factor rather than the actual gameplay.

Edited by Skitty of Time

not-edit:

PS: Or maybe I just played Awakening too much and I'm tired of it and this post was for nothing (well, at least I practiced my English).

oops gg me

reality check here

this probably has a lot to do with why you don't enjoy awakening anymore; you played a single player game for three hundred hours

EDIT: for the record, having invested (i have no idea really but probably) two thirds of that i don't play it much anymore even though i think it's the greatest in the series by far

EDIT2: what are conjugation

Yes, I guess that has a lot to do with how I feel about the game right now, probably the main reason XD

Reminds me a bit of the FE4 discussions that used to be all over the place saying, but that's a different story.

I think all in all, whichever one you play first will affect your judgement for it and others, despite if you know it or not. My first FE was Sacred Stones, and it took me a while before I realized I was calling it my favorite but couldn't actually give a reason other than it was the first I played. I used to hate FE7 but couldn't give a reason other than "I can't access shops on the world map". After playing everything in the series(other than fe1-3), I can enjoy most(I can't stand FE5 nor FE13) of them a fair amount. I can look back at FE8 now and say that I enjoy the game probably more for the nostalgia factor rather than the actual gameplay.

Exactly. That's what happened to me with Final Fantasy. FFVIII was the first I played and my favorite for years and years...and then I played FFVI.

It's like the first time you do something. You are going to compare everything with that first time. And that's why I feel weird right now about Awakening, because I couldn't even think of another FE being my favorite.

also your english is better than my second language so there's that

Thanks! :D I realize that my English it's not perfect, I have to spend a lot of time writting my posts and read over and over again what I'm going to say (and that's why I write so little).

What is your second language? (just curious, I was considering learning French now)

Edited by Boku

I have 500 hours logged in for Sacred Stones and I still love it.

I recently played Binding Blade 3 times in a row in the space of a just 2-3 weeks with the exact same team and the exact same routes and I still love it and I'd play 3 times again.

Yeah, no. Time logged isn't the main factor.

I have 300 hours logged in on Awakening and I detest it. Though I honeslty have no idea where that time came from since I only have two complete playthroughs and they don't add up to a 100 hours together. Most likely left the game idle for hours or something.

Edited by Ranger Jack Walker