Awakening could have been the last Fire Emblem

Well, I'm sure that the franchise will continue (for how long we cannot be sure, but I'm guessing 1-2 more games), and this game definately felt like an anniversary game in the overall content and first gen DLC. It was packed with content for sure.

I'll be honest, I would not be sad if the Fire Emblem franchise did end, because it'd be ending on a high note. At this point, there are over 13 Fire Emblem titles that could hold me over until I eventually moved on anyway. Some franchises are better off not continuing after a certain point, yet Fire Emblem still has more they could do, so they're not at that point yet. I will say that if FE14 corrects any errors that 13 contained, and added more interesting concepts/brought back favored concepts, then that would be the greatest high note of all time.

I still root for the return of some of FE4's gameplay features, like home castles, big maps, and multiple objectives per chapter, because those were always my favorite and nothing can replace it as my favorite game. Merging Awakening with FE4's style would probably be an instant sold on my end. Of course, I write these long posts and no responds, but I feel I must state my position on everything before I stop typing.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember a lot of veterans weren't happy about the inclusion of Casual mode in recent entries, but if they literally needed to add that so the series could survive, I think we can all agree it was for the best.

Still wish there could be more incentive for choosing Classic over Casual, but that's neither here nor there.

I remember a lot of veterans weren't happy about the inclusion of Casual mode in recent entries, but if they literally needed to add that so the series could survive, I think we can all agree it was for the best.

Still wish there could be more incentive for choosing Classic over Casual, but that's neither here nor there.

Same. Trying to get my sister to experience classic mode is like trying to pull out her not-yet-existing wisdom teeth. It's wonderful for me, because I have to actually wake up and use some sort of strategy instead of "speed to the objective, wait for an opening/weakness, charge blindly, profit." Basically how Virion plays chess if you've read that support with him. So in Classic I actually have to alter my normal thinking process to keep everyone alive and to beat the chapter. :)

I'm very thankful Brawl gave me the incentive to buy this game - it's a great game series from what I've played and seen so far and I'd hate to see it die.

While I'm happy that this means there are going to be more FE games... this probably means we're stuck with Second Seals and easy grinding for good now because Nintendo might be afraid to move away from the concepts in this game. I'm fine with a Casual Mode option to bring in more fans, but those two things I just absolutely hate about Awakening. They just can't balance difficultly around their existence properly. Hard is still too easy, Lunatic is way too hard unless you abuse MU and Dark Magic, in which case its very easy once you get past chapter 5. I also feel that it runs a lot of the fun of FE: the risk of units turning out badly, or a unit simply on average not being very good but being there as an option to change up later playthroughts. With Awakening, there's not really any "bad" units in either sense, its just a question of how long it takes them to get good or amazing. Don't even get me started up on Pair Up worsening the previously mentioned balance problems. And what about the other features, will they try to shoehorn in child units every time someway, or the extremely wide range of marriage options at the cost of a number of convos feeling flat?

I'm also afraid they won't bother trying to bring back their maps back to a higher standard. Awakening's maps are all very weak, but the new fans won't really realize that. Honestly, I don't know if I would buy another Awakening style FE. There are just too many downfalls to me: for the ones in NA I only consider it better than SS and SD, with it beating out SS solely due to the DLC. Do we really want Awakening to be the new standard for FEs just because its what saved the series? Or more directly: is the series worth saving if we're stuck with Second Seals and Pair Up? I honestly don't know. I love the series, but hate the new direction.

Hmm, I wouldn't really know about that, I guess, but I think the Casual mode really helped bring new players to try out FE. The classic part of FE, where if a unit dies, they're gone forever, was what delayed me from trying FE in the first place. It was probably after playing and being so into FE music in Melee that I finally gave FE a try... but anyway, that's another story.

It would be nice to have something to let even newcomers try out Classic... but well... I think that's also still up to the players. I mean newcomers can always start a new file and try out Classic if they were bold enough. And there can be more 'veteran' players who actually picked Casual over Classic. At least, I know one who did even though he's played the previous FE games too. His reasoning was that he didn't like the stress of worrying someone might die and then they'd be gone for good. It's not that he liked to run straight to danger or anything, he just wants to enjoy the story and well, not stress too much.

Though I'm not sure about including both modes in future games.... but if they did localize FE12, they might have gotten more sales too! Since they also had Casual mode too... I kinda forgot when I first tried it out, but... I guess as someone else mentioned, the fact that they didn't bring it overseas might have been a sign too...

While I'm happy that this means there are going to be more FE games... this probably means we're stuck with Second Seals and easy grinding for good now because Nintendo might be afraid to move away from the concepts in this game. I'm fine with a Casual Mode option to bring in more fans, but those two things I just absolutely hate about Awakening. They just can't balance difficultly around their existence properly. Hard is still too easy, Lunatic is way too hard unless you abuse MU and Dark Magic, in which case its very easy once you get past chapter 5. I also feel that it runs a lot of the fun of FE: the risk of units turning out badly, or a unit simply on average not being very good but being there as an option to change up later playthroughts. With Awakening, there's not really any "bad" units in either sense, its just a question of how long it takes them to get good or amazing. Don't even get me started up on Pair Up worsening the previously mentioned balance problems. And what about the other features, will they try to shoehorn in child units every time someway, or the extremely wide range of marriage options at the cost of a number of convos feeling flat?

I'm also afraid they won't bother trying to bring back their maps back to a higher standard. Awakening's maps are all very weak, but the new fans won't really realize that. Honestly, I don't know if I would buy another Awakening style FE. There are just too many downfalls to me: for the ones in NA I only consider it better than SS and SD, with it beating out SS solely due to the DLC. Do we really want Awakening to be the new standard for FEs just because its what saved the series? Or more directly: is the series worth saving if we're stuck with Second Seals and Pair Up? I honestly don't know. I love the series, but hate the new direction.

I can kinda see where you're coming from, but... well, we don't really know if they'll bring EVERYTHING from FE13 to the future games. Maybe, maybe not. Maybe just some. Of course, pair-ups can really break the game and the Second Seals ends up being a grindfest sometimes, but you can always choose not to for some challenge.

It's still pretty scary to think about how FE13 could have been the last installment. Maaaan.

I dunno - I can't agree with most of this, for one, and second, I think you're being hasty in your judgment. It's too early to say as to whether they'll bring back most of the features this game introduced when a new game comes around.

Edited by Levant Fortner

Lunatic is fine it's called Lunatic for a reason it's supposed to be pretty damn hard

But I think there could've been an inbetween mode like Maniac to bridge the difficulty gap between Hard and Lunatic. I understand that they might've wanted the game to not become too big of a file, though.

And I mean like I don't like grinding in a strategy game but it's not exactly mandatory to grind to beat. From what I've seen there's already a decent number of people who got through L+ with no grinding so I'm okay with it being an option for those who like grinding or need a bit of a boost to get through chapters, especially if they're new to the series.

Do we really want Awakening to be the new standard for FEs just because its what saved the series? Or more directly: is the series worth saving if we're stuck with Second Seals and Pair Up? I honestly don't know. I love the series, but hate the new direction.

I kind of agree with you. I didn't hate the gamebreaking mechanics in Awakening but I think I would start to if they became the norm from here on out. Maybe I'm being naive but I do think if executed properly they could do away with those features in the next game and still have it be successful. It's easy to see how it might be tempting for IS to approach the next game as "Awakening 2", but I hope they take it more as an opportunity to keep the franchise interesting and easing in newcomers into the older mechanics.

At the very least some fine-tuning of, say, Pair Up and such might actually improve on Awakening.

Take a gander at this. It's just the translation patch, you'll have to find the rom/emulator on your own. But this is for the entire FE12 game. Enjoy :D

Haha thanks! :) Tbh I'm a little apprehensive because tracking down everything to play 6 a few years ago gave me such a headache. Dunno if I'm just bad at the Internet... But it's good to know the option's there! Edited by Owain Dark

I share the same fears as Niddo --though more with having the same sort of story this game had, which was the part I was most disappointed with.

Still --it would have been a shame for the series to end, though keeping things going infinitley may get tiresome in it's own way. Perhaps a spiritual successor series? That way new mechanics and experiences can be welcomed without comparison (and disappointment).

Fire Emblem? In danger of ENDING? Gods, what a horrible thought! I'm glad the series isn't actually ending! It's my favorite ever, I wouldn't want it to end yet! Not when it still has much more potential! Awakening was a step in the right direction, now IS just has to keep that ball rolling. And as people said before, every game should be treated as if it was the last. Here's to an even brighter future for this amazing series! :D

I have to disagree about the part of having bad characters back. That was one of the things that hooked me big time with Awakening, since in every new Fire Emblem I play, I go separating the scrubs from the stars. But since most of the characters are good, I just was really excited and trained them all and made parties with those units that synergize each other.

I much prefer to have a largely usable cast, than a cast where 10% are good 40% are okay and the rest are garbage.

I have to disagree about the part of having bad characters back. That was one of the things that hooked me big time with Awakening, since in every new Fire Emblem I play, I go separating the scrubs from the stars. But since most of the characters are good, I just was really excited and trained them all and made parties with those units that synergize each other.

I much prefer to have a largely usable cast, than a cast where 10% are good 40% are okay and the rest are garbage.

Same here.

Also, WRT balance, I don't think there's any FE game that can be considered balanced at all.

Hmm, I wouldn't really know about that, I guess, but I think the Casual mode really helped bring new players to try out FE. The classic part of FE, where if a unit dies, they're gone forever, was what delayed me from trying FE in the first place. It was probably after playing and being so into FE music in Melee that I finally gave FE a try... but anyway, that's another story.

Casual Mode definitely brought new players in, but at the same time it invalidated Classic Mode almost entirely. There's literally no logical reason to play Classic Mode at all due to lack of additional rewards, and anyone who plays it, like myself, only plays it because they're used to Classic.

I don't dislike Casual Mode, but there's a very strong gap between myself and Casual Mode players when we talk about the game, especially when it comes to talking strategy or offering advice. I started with FE7, and on my first run almost everyone died. After that though, I became much better. Personally, I don't see why new players are scared to experience the same thing. I mean, at the end of it all, it's just a game. Do you feel your soul become ripped out because a unit dies? I just don't get it.

Personally, after replaying a few past FE games, I hope they return to that formula. I love Awakening and it's currently my favorite FE, but it's way too easy to break, and Pair-Up needs to be rebalanced considerably.

Or more directly: is the series worth saving if we're stuck with Second Seals and Pair Up? I honestly don't know. I love the series, but hate the new direction.

Yes, I think Pair Up is the best feature they've added to Fire Emblem for quite a long time. They can always make changes to it to prevent it from allowing characters becoming near invincible with it. But it's mostly the amount of maneuvers you can carry out with it which is actually interesting.

I think its funny how it always seems to take people to know that they might end before they decide "oh, we should do something good with this".

You do not recognize what you have until its gone or about to be gone.

Edited by Vorena

Old news, but shocking news.

In an interview with the Spanish magazine "Hobby Consola", published on 22nd April, the developers remarked that Fire Emblem: Awakening could have been the last game in the Fire Emblem series if sales weren't up to scratch. (Thanks to Fire Emblem: Wars of Dragons for picking this up.)

The full quote, translated by Albafika:

Curiously, there's a similar statement in the interview in the June 2013 issue of Nintendo Dream.

Translated by shadowofchaos:

Fortunately for us, sales of Awakening far exceeded expectations, selling around 500,000 copies in Japan and over 240,000 copies in North America.

However, I think it's shocking to know that the series could have ended if things had taken a different turn. Perhaps the fact that Heroes of Light and Shadow didn't get localised was a sign that Nintendo was getting ready to pack the bags with the series...

I was going to make a topic about the series might come to an end. Because of all the characters from other games. Sounds kind of final. Because why would they put in characters that are from every other game in the series? As for creating this topic, My hero. =3

Well, it's great that Awakening brought so many new fans into the series and hopefully these new fans will buy future installments in the series.

That's if another game ever gets made.

Didn't know this, but I had a feeling sales were poor ever since New Mystery was never localized, and Awakening felt like a love letter to it's fans.

I'm glad Awakening did well enough to pass. It's one of my favorite RPGs in general, and it would've been a heavy loss if it had to go.

The sales had to suck. Because this would have been our only chance to get Mystery Of The Emblem. But did we get it, no.

My other favorite series Mother already died. Plz don't die yet, FE. Plz!!!!

Yeah, I had that mindset. Even when it was announced, I figured the series was done worldwide and back to Japan-only, but here it is.

Ending it altogether would be alot less painful indeed as someone else already said.

That would have been so much worse than if the series had been flat out discontinued. I'm still sad we didn't get 12 localized...

I do wonder how well the new fans would adapt to more "classic" future installments, though. Sorry to be a downer :P

That's u.

And...yeah.

I actually had a feeling that that was the case. It's an unfortunate reality, but if they can't make money off of it (and can't afford to lose money on it), it'd make sense to cease development for a time.

At any rate, congratulations all of you who bought the game! You just saved a franchise.

Well...I'm glad that Nintendo is putting fourth effort to saving the series as I didn't know that the sales were dropping in Japan too. Glad that I've bought all the DLC. Nintendo can take my wallet. =3

http://www.heroesofshadow.net/2012/11/complete-translation-patch-released.html

1. Take a gander at this. It's just the translation patch, you'll have to find the rom/emulator on your own. But this is for the entire FE12 game. Enjoy :D

2. Either way that is a little scary. I wasn't aware to be honest...but this is good. Sales have already exceeded expectations. Now we have to hope they sell well in Europe. It could possibly be the first Fire Emblem title to reach 1 million world wide!

1. Still, it's scary that we had to translate another game on our own.

2. 1 million. That can be possible. The DLC and other characters being put in the game made this game an excellent seller.

1. Well, I'm sure that the franchise will continue (for how long we cannot be sure, but I'm guessing 1-2 more games), and this game definately felt like an anniversary game in the overall content and first gen DLC. It was packed with content for sure.

2. I will say that if FE14 corrects any errors that 13 contained, and added more interesting concepts/brought back favored concepts, then that would be the greatest high note of all time.

1. This is the anniversary game of Fire Emblem. If the series continues, maybe they will make another one like this one soon.

2. They have to improve it's story genere and everything, it's only dying because the creators ran out of ideas ever since Gumpei Yokei and Shouzou Kaga weren't around anymore. And that we should have a game about Anri's tale? Showing his war buddies, how Medeus gone even madder after being slain by Anri, etc. That should be FE14.

Veterans never use classic. Because it wouldn't really be a strategy game if perma death wasn't involved. But some people are scared of it and can't be helped. But having Casual will get younger audiences to play it at least.

1. Hmm, I wouldn't really know about that, I guess, but I think the Casual mode really helped bring new players to try out FE. The classic part of FE, where if a unit dies, they're gone forever, was what delayed me from trying FE in the first place. It was probably after playing and being so into FE music in Melee that I finally gave FE a try... but anyway, that's another story.

2. Though I'm not sure about including both modes in future games.... but if they did localize FE12, they might have gotten more sales too! Since they also had Casual mode too... I kinda forgot when I first tried it out, but... I guess as someone else mentioned, the fact that they didn't bring it overseas might have been a sign too...

1. After listening to the soundtracks before Melee came out, it wanted me to give the series a try especially after Melee's release.

2. Which is what made things go downhill big time!

Fire Emblem? In danger of ENDING? Gods, what a horrible thought! I'm glad the series isn't actually ending! It's my favorite ever, I wouldn't want it to end yet! Not when it still has much more potential! Awakening was a step in the right direction, now IS just has to keep that ball rolling. And as people said before, every game should be treated as if it was the last. Here's to an even brighter future for this amazing series! :D

A toast to one of the greatest series to ever be created. *pops soda cap off and drinks*

1. Casual Mode definitely brought new players in, but at the same time it invalidated Classic Mode almost entirely. There's literally no logical reason to play Classic Mode at all due to lack of additional rewards, and anyone who plays it, like myself, only plays it because they're used to Classic.

2. Personally, I don't see why new players are scared to experience the same thing. I mean, at the end of it all, it's just a game. Do you feel your soul become ripped out because a unit dies? I just don't get it.

3. Personally, after replaying a few past FE games, I hope they return to that formula. I love Awakening and it's currently my favorite FE, but it's way too easy to break, and Pair-Up needs to be rebalanced considerably.

1. Only difference is that it won't be much strategy without perma-death.

2. Mmm....not really. I just move on whenever i'm tired of restarting on characters that I'm not actually planning to use throughout the game.

3. First game in the series to go beyond caps and that you can increase your power level beyond limit. Greatest game next to FE1(NES). I'll always love these two games the most.

Edited by ポーラ

too be honest, i believe this game is the *grand masterpiece* of the series, so i wouldn't have regrets should the *bad future of FE* did actually happen, thankfully it doesn't, had siliconeira stated that possibilities before the game's release i would have not be in FE right now..

i can visualize the advent of another mind blowing FE game will come in the future in my Mind now 0__0

See, I enjoyed doing runthroughs where I would try to use at least one or two of the bad characters. It added life to my playthroughs. "Hrm, I never used Leonardo. Lets see if I can make him usable without just chucking BEXP at him" or "Hey Dorcas. Lets see how you do outside of Lyn Mode." It gave me a reason to come back and play again. When there is no difficult to use unit, or unit stuck with not so great classes, I lose desire to play. I've only completely beaten Awakening once so far, though I'll probably finish my Lunatic runthrough.

Yes, I think Pair Up is the best feature they've added to Fire Emblem for quite a long time. They can always make changes to it to prevent it from allowing characters becoming near invincible with it. But it's mostly the amount of maneuvers you can carry out with it which is actually interesting.

That's the problem: there are no new maneuvers with Pair Up outside of Galeforce shenanigans. Put two units together, enjoy the free stat boosts, random extra attacks, and random "avoid all damage" events. You are never penalized for using Pair Up outside of maybe Tiki's chapter. At the same time, if you take much away from Pair Up it becomes useless, particularly now with the new people seeing how amazing Pair Up is as it is now. What they should have done is reintroduce Rescue, but maybe have it so that the rescued unit has a chance to chip in during battle to make up for the stat penalty. That would have been fine, and even interesting. But now Nintendo is in a position where if they anger the new fans they risk losing a series.

It is possible that they manage to tweak things slightly like some people in this topic are hoping, but I don't think they'll change it a significant amount. Capping the Pair Up bonuses a bit lower isn't going to change my opinion about it. I'll give FE14 a fair shake when it comes out, see what it has to offer and see what has changed, but at this point in time I'm fully expecting Awakening 2.0, particularly if a lot of the new fans filled out those Club Nintendo surveys while praising Pair Up and Second Seals.

That's the problem: there are no new maneuvers with Pair Up outside of Galeforce shenanigans. Put two units together, enjoy the free stat boosts, random extra attacks, and random "avoid all damage" events. You are never penalized for using Pair Up outside of maybe Tiki's chapter. At the same time, if you take much away from Pair Up it becomes useless, particularly now with the new people seeing how amazing Pair Up is as it is now. What they should have done is reintroduce Rescue, but maybe have it so that the rescued unit has a chance to chip in during battle to make up for the stat penalty. That would have been fine, and even interesting. But now Nintendo is in a position where if they anger the new fans they risk losing a series.

Yes there are new maneuvers, the supporting unit initiates pair up so the main/traveling unit still gets to perform their turn when pair up is used or a unit that already used their turn can be used to protect a unit who hasn't(via pair up). As well as being able to do these additional things. It can performs in one turn something that needs 3 units(rescue drops) or two turns.

Foot units in particular undeniably can utilize pair up's mobility advantages significantly better than they could ever use rescue. Even if pair up had no stat bonuses and penalized SKL/SPD by 50% there'd still be far more applications than rescue has.

The only place rescue comes close to pair up is when re-move/canto available which means for mounted units only. The only thing possible for some units with it which isn't possible with pair up is attacking a non-mobile enemy and then having another unit rescue them out of the enemies attack range.

I think pair up(even excluding stat bonuses or even dual) is better because it's a more usable mechanic for all of the classes than rescue ever was.

Edited by arvilino

What they should have done is reintroduce Rescue, but maybe have it so that the rescued unit has a chance to chip in during battle to make up for the stat penalty.

I disagree, because if you're having someone rescued, you probably don't want them to see combat in the first place BECAUSE of the penalty, which makes this sound pretty stupid all in all.

Oh please. Maps aside, which is a legitimate issue, everything else here is completely optional for you as a player. Everyone starts in a reasonable class, and has decent stats if you Seal them and level all the way to 20/20. You don't need to use Pair-up at all, you just simply use the adjacent support system and Dual Strike/Guard.

Play Hard without any of the things that you just complained about, and tell me that it's too easy.

Casual Mode definitely brought new players in, but at the same time it invalidated Classic Mode almost entirely. There's literally no logical reason to play Classic Mode at all due to lack of additional rewards, and anyone who plays it, like myself, only plays it because they're used to Classic.

I don't dislike Casual Mode, but there's a very strong gap between myself and Casual Mode players when we talk about the game, especially when it comes to talking strategy or offering advice. I started with FE7, and on my first run almost everyone died. After that though, I became much better. Personally, I don't see why new players are scared to experience the same thing. I mean, at the end of it all, it's just a game. Do you feel your soul become ripped out because a unit dies? I just don't get it.

Personally, after replaying a few past FE games, I hope they return to that formula. I love Awakening and it's currently my favorite FE, but it's way too easy to break, and Pair-Up needs to be rebalanced considerably.

Well, I can't say it invalidated. Maybe the reward is more like a personal thing. And for the veterans.

I don't know about it being a gap, but then again, I probably can't say much since I don't know that many people who play FE (outside this forum). But I can speak for my friend who really likes Casual mode -- it's more like he didn't like the stress than feeling his soul was being ripped out from a unit dying. I mean think about when you've gone so far and then you make one mistake or you get bad luck and a unit dies...

I like the change and welcome of it, but I still wouldn't play Casual just because I'm stubborn. It's a personal reward when I play Classic. I mean, it's the same if and when I try Lunatic mode: I'm not gonna touch Casual for that either, but that's for me only.

Still, this game did some good. And as already mentioned, all these features are optional to the player. You don't have to use it either. Just like you don't have to grind either.

Edited by Shirley