Class Base Stats and Promotion Gains

Othin

Finally got around to figuring out and re-checking the exact numbers for each of these now that all of the classes have their info on the site. I'm not sure if these are perfect, but I am confident that any errors are rare and no more than a point each. Also not sure if anyone will really care, but I think the info is interesting.

Class names used are the translations I would expect to see in an English version, even if they don't all match the Japanese names.

Base Luck for all classes appears to still be 0; base HP is not currently listed anywhere. A lot of classes have their Move stats shown, and I could infer most if not all of the rest, but I'm trying to avoid guessing like that.

Lord

Str: 6

Mag: 0

Skl: 5

Spd: 7

Def: 7

Res: 0

Great Lord

Str: 10

Skl: 7

Spd: 9

Def: 10

Res: 3

Strategist

Str: 4

Mag: 4

Spd: 5

Def: 5

Res: 4

Master Strategist

Str: 7

Mag: 6

Res: 5

Cavalier

Spd: 6

Knight

Str: 8

Skl: 4

Spd: 2

Def: 11

Paladin

Str: 9

Mag: 1

Spd: 8

Res: 6

Great Knight

Str: 11

Skl: 6

Def: 14

Res: 1

General

Str: 12

Spd: 4

Def: 15

Pegasus Knight

Mag: 3

Def: 4

Falcon Knight

Skl: 10

Spd: 11

Def: 6

Res: 9

Dark Pegasus

Str: 5

Skl: 8

Spd: 10

Dracoknight

Def: 8

Dragonmaster

Str: 11

Griffin Knight

Str: 9

Archer

Mercenary

Fighter

Brigand

Skl: 3

Def: 3

Sniper

Skl: 12

Horseman

Res: 2

Hero

Skl: 11

Warrior

Str: 12

Berserker

Str: 13

Spd: 12

Myrmidon

Skl: 9

Thief

Str: 3

Def: 2

Swordmaster

Mag: 2

Skl: 11

Spd: 13

Assassin

Skl: 13

Spd: 12

Trickster

Mag: 5

Spd: 11

Mage

Str: 0

Skl: 3

Def: 2

Dark Mage

Str: 1

Skl: 2

Spd: 3

Priest / Cleric

Def: 1

Troubadour

Def: 1

Sage

Mag: 7

Dark Knight

Def: 9

Sorcerer

Str: 2

Res: 7

Battle Monk / Battle Cleric

Valkyrie

Res: 8

Dancer

Manakete

Str: 10

Spd: 3

Def: 12

Taguel

Skl: 9

Res: 2

Villager

Skl: 0

Spd: 0

Def: 0

Lord → Great Lord

Str: +4

Mag: +0

Skl: +2

Spd: +2

Def: +3

Res: +3

Strategist → Grandmaster

Str: +3

Mag: +2

Def: +2

Res: +1

Cavalier → Paladin

Mag: +1

Res: +6

Cavalier → Great Knight

Str: +5

Skl: +1

Spd: -1

Def: +7

Knight → Great Knight

Spd: +3

Knight → General

Skl: +3

Def: +4

Pegasus Knight → Falcon Knight

Str: +2

Pegasus Knight → Dark Pegasus

Str: +1

Mag: +3

Skl: +1

Def: +1

Dracoknight → Dragonmaster

Dracoknight → Griffin Knight

Skl: +4

Spd: +4

Def: +0

Archer → Sniper

Def: +5

Archer → Horseman

Res: +2

Mercenary → Horseman

Mercenary → Hero

Fighter → Hero

Str: +0

Skl: +6

Spd: +5

Fighter → Warrior

Brigand → Warrior

Skl: +5

Spd: -1

Brigand → Berserker

Myrmidon → Swordmaster

Myrmidon → Assassin

Mag: -1

Res: +0

Thief → Assassin

Skl: +7

Thief → Trickster

Mag: +5

Res: +5

Mage → Sage

Mage → Dark Knight

Spd: +1

Def: +7

Dark Mage → Dark Knight

Dark Mage → Sorcerer

Priest / Cleric → Sage

Mag: +4

Res: -1

Priest / Cleric → Battle Monk / Battle Cleric

Res: +0

Troubadour → Battle Cleric

Troubadour → Valkyrie

Str: +0

Edited by Othin

Some of these promotions are kinda unbalanced and just seem to say, "hey don't actually promote to these of you aren't promoting from class X". And what the hell is up with the negatives on some promotions??

As soon as I saw the official site update with the stats, I was expecting you to do this. I tried for 5 minutes and decided it was too much effort...

Usually the unmounted units have a somewhat bigger stat boost than the mounted option as expected... except for Dark Mage's options. I hope dark magic has some amazing spells to compensate (or some awesome skills for Sorceror).

Some of these promotions are kinda unbalanced and just seem to say, "hey don't actually promote to these of you aren't promoting from class X". And what the hell is up with the negatives on some promotions??

Huh, doesn't look that way to me. Some things look a bit odd, but the ones that do just seem interesting and creative.

FE4/DS style promotions. Promotion gains are exactly the difference between class bases.

Actually, it's that way in most of the series: FE3/4/5/6/9/11/12. Also TRS. Probably FE1 and BS as well, but I don't know of any place that lists class base stats for those games.

The only games that definitely do it differently are FE2, which just increases the stats to the promoted class's stats if they were lower, and FE7/8/10, which just use arbitrary promotion gains. Also, FE4/5 exclude HP for some reason.

And yeah, there are a few promoted classes that just have less of a stat than an unpromoted counterpart, for some reason. It seems to be rare and never more of a decrease than -1, though, or an increase of more than +7. On the other hand, using Change Seals has the potential for bigger increases and drops, as seen with Sumia going from Dark Pegasus --> General. That's the main reason why this system of stat changes is necessary for FE11/12/13, since they have so many possible ways to change class that the game couldn't just make up interesting, varied, and workable values for each individual possibility rather than having them be calculated on a case-by-case basis.

---

The one thing here that really confused me is Manakete. It stats look like transformed stats - very much like the stats for a transformed Fire Dragon in FE6, specifically, but much higher than I'd expect a Manakete to have without those stat bonuses. Taguel's stats seem lower, but also higher than I'd expect a class to have before transforming and getting those bonuses. I wonder what this will mean.

Edited by Othin

Seems like an odd change if that's the case, though, and could take away from the uniqueness of different transformations.

I wonder if those are just the (effective) base stats for their normal transformation, and they have much lower stats without a stone in use. We'll have to wait for a look at Velvet's or Nono's stat screen to tell for sure, though.

Actually, it's that way in most of the series: FE3/4/5/6/9/11/12. Also TRS. Probably FE1 and BS as well, but I don't know of any place that lists class base stats for those games.

The only games that definitely do it differently are FE2, which just increases the stats to the promoted class's stats if they were lower, and FE7/8/10, which just use arbitrary promotion gains. Also, FE4/5 exclude HP for some reason.

I'm pretty sure FE1 does what FE2 did. For instance, promoting Thomas will always net him 14 speed minimum (5 base, 30% growth for a level 8 unit), but his strength will never raise because he starts at 7, which is the Sniper class base.

On the topic at hand, I find the Sniper's defense laughably high (tied with Dragonmaster of all things), while most typical magic classes have shit bases. Dark magic and staves better be good if Sages and Sorcerors would be worth considering over the Dark Knight. The Warrior also seems to suck again and the Master Strategist's jack of all trades nature really shows in its bases.

Edited by Dio

Some of these stats lie. Sages have a skill, Magic Expert, that gives them +5 Mag while using a tome. I don't know if they need to level up a bit to learn it, but once they do, for the purposes of tome use, their Mag is effectively 12 - a good 7 points higher than Dark Knights' Mag. I suspect Sorcerers may have the same skill.

Skills - reliable ones, even - seem to be pretty much everywhere in this game. Ultimately, they can be learned in one class and then kept in another with Change Seals, but without spending a lot of time grinding, I suspect that won't happen much. But they should establish a lot of key distinctions to help differentiate classes more, especially the ones that seem to have issues right now.

Edited by Othin

In the Demo's the Archer to Bow Knight gains were better, I think I saw some +5's and +6's in there...

Viole promotes starting around 3:05. He gets +8 HP, +3 Str, +2 Skl, +4 Spd, +1 Def, +3 Res, and +3 Move, fitting precisely with the gains I have listed. You're probably thinking of Fighter --> Hero.

I used this video and any other scenes available of the actual promotion gains to calibrate and check my numbers. So it's no coincidence; I checked my numbers for those stats knowing this was what the differences would have to be.

On another note, that high HP gain emphasizes another factor we haven't been able to take into account so well so far.

Edited by Othin

Yeah I guess there replacing pirates who are normally the fast axe users .

It does seem that way, with them promoting to Warrior and Berserker, just like Pirates, especially in FE8.

Viole promotes starting around 3:05. He gets +8 HP, +3 Str, +2 Skl, +4 Spd, +1 Def, +3 Res, and +3 Move, fitting precisely with the gains I have listed. You're probably thinking of Fighter --> Hero.

I used this video and any other scenes available of the actual promotion gains to calibrate and check my numbers. So it's no coincidence; I checked my numbers for those stats knowing this was what the differences would have to be.

On another note, that high HP gain emphasizes another factor we haven't been able to take into account so well so far.

Oh well that makes sense

It does seem that way, with them promoting to Warrior and Berserker, just like Pirates, especially in FE8.

I'm dissapointed with the warrior bases they could have at least gave them a little more defense . Unless the playable fighters have great personal speed growths warrior might be gba level bad . They've really only been good in fe9 and 10 through they're were alright in jugdral and FeDS.

Edited by The_Purple_Knight

Well, it depends. We'll also have to see how growth rates turn out, since they'll almost certainly change with class just like in FE11/12. That could score some unexpected points for some classes.

I doubt it growth rates seemed to fit with bases so if warriors have a crap defense and speed bases then their class' growths most likely reflect that . I'm fairly certain Beserkers are going to come out on top is the superior axe user in this game . Unless bows are super sweet in this game or warriors have hax skills ;warriors will be getting the short end of the stick once again but hey for all I know the bows might actually rock in this game . Certianlly would be a nice change of pace even through it doesn't look like snipers would care not with those fantastic bases of theirs .

I think Horsemen look better than Snipers from these bases, and what we know of their movement and weapons. Why do you need more DEF when you're locked to Bows and firing from ranged? They shouldn't be taking many 1-range hits. Yeah, there are 2-range physical weapons, but I'll take the +1 STR, +1 SPD, horses, and swords above taking less damage from those. Sniper has +2 SKL as well, but Bows are generally pretty accurate. Of course, this is not taking Skills into account.

Edited by BigBangMeteor

I think Horsemen look better than Snipers from these bases, and what we know of their movement and weapons. Why do you need more DEF when you're locked to Bows and firing from ranged? They shouldn't be taking many 1-range hits. Yeah, there are 2-range physical weapons, but I'll take the +1 STR, +1 SPD, horses, and swords above taking less damage from those. Sniper has +2 SKL as well, but Bows are generally pretty accurate. Of course, this is not taking Skills into account.

Skills will surely be a big point to consider, especially for mono-weapon users. Hard to judge those classes especially without them.

Now all we need to know is their caps. Low bases might be able to be counteracted by amazing growths and high caps if one is willing to spend the time on it.

With all the class changing possible, I would be surprised if caps don't turn out to be dependent on bases, like in FE4.