FE7/8 prototype dialogue - Updated II

VincentASM

Credits to TheEnd for the translations and Dark Twilkitri for dumping the prototype scripts.

This is a preliminary collection of dialogue that was removed or greatly changed between the prototype and retail versions.

FE7:

I already mentioned these elsewhere, but originally there was a battle conversation between Rath and Uhai in Chapter 18/19, while Heath had a village recruitment dialogue in Chapter 20/21. Since then, I bugged TheEnd to translate them.

Rath vs Uhai

Uhai:

Oh... so you're from the plains?

Rath:

... I'm Rath of the Kutolah.

Uhai:

Kutolah... the "Silver Wolf"'s tribe. It's said they're the strongest on the plains... excellent. Rath of the Kutolah! Come without reserve, for I challenge you!!

(A variation of the Guy vs Uhai dialogue)

Heath recruitment

Heath:

I thought it was noisy... so there's a battle going on. Say, won't you guys employ me? My name is Heath. I've come from Bern, and thought I could offer my services to Ostia. Wyvern riders are said to be the continent's strongest... You aren't going to regret it, you hear me? Either way, I'm going to help drive the enemy away for now. If you like what I'm doing, be my guest and employ me.

There were also a few supports that were removed, which DT pointed out to me:

Bartre x Isadora

Dart x Bartre

Legault x Dart

Wil x Heath

The first three supports only have "Test" for their conversations, but the Wil x Heath support happens to be present:

C Support

Wil:

Hey, you. Wha?!

Heath:

Ah, my bad. Did I scare you by coming from the skies so suddenly? I'm Heath. A wyvern rider serving in this army.

Wil:

Oh, my name is Wil. For now... I'm Lady Lyndis's subordinate. Heh, so this is a wyvern... It's the first time I've seen one. It's quite incredible. It looks so strong... Sigh, it must be nice being a wyvern rider...

Heath:

Eh?

Wil:

Wyvern riders are strong in both offense and defense, and can fly anywhere to boot... It's said they're the strongest in the continent. Aren't they Bern's main forces? Compared to that, I am...

Heath:

Nah, we wyvern riders aren't the strongest. Wyverns have weak spots as well, and we're fatally weak against one kind of opponent.

Wil:

Weak against a kind of opponent?

Heath:

Yeah, archers.

Wil:

A-archers? Really?!

Heath:

? Yeah, of course. Bows are the natural enemies for us wyvern riders. Even among Bern's wyvern riders, that's the first thing we're taught: "When going to battle, always verify the archers' positions."

Wil:

A-ah, so that's how it is. So I'm taken with caution... I'm glad...

Heath:

?

B Support

Heath:

Yo, Wil.

Wil:

Mister Heath, what happened?

Heath:

No matter what, bow users stand out to me. I told you earlier, didn't I? Archers are the natural enemies of a wyvern rider.

Wil:

T-that's an honor... But, aren't the nomads more dangerous than simple archers? They're faster, and...

Heath:

No, Sacae's nomads are indeed a threat, but they aren't an enemy we can't defeat if we attack them by surprise, from beyond their range. Indeed, the truly terrible ones are the archers, who can manage ballistae.

Wil:

Ballistae? Are they that dangerous?

Heath:

Of course! Arrows suddenly coming from outside our field of sight... As far as we're concerned, there isn't a more terrible foe than that. I've fought an enemy ballista in the past, because of my job, but to be honest, it was like a nightmare. We were the strongest wyvern rider unit, and yet we fell one after the other against only one... But anyway, archers are ones I don't want as enemies.

Wil:

Ah... thank you! To tell me it like that...! I think we'll be great friends!

Heath:

... R-really?

A Support

Wil:

Mister Heath!

Heath:

So it's you, Wil. You've been in good spirits as of late. You're brimming with confidence.

Wil:

Yes, and it's all thanks to you, mister Heath! Since I was noticed by somebody strong like mister Heath, I thought that even I could be able to pull it off if I did my best.

Heath:

Now that's complicated... Ah well, you're an ally anyway. I'll be counting on your good spirits.

Wil:

Yes! Mister <Tactician> is employing me a lot too, so I've been thinking that I might be a precious asset after all! I'll try and get more and more involved from now on, too!

Heath:

It's good to believe. Do your best, Wil.

Wil:

Yes!

(This support about archers and fliers seems a bit familiar to me)

FE8:

Again, these have already been mentioned before. In Chapter 6, the Shaman boss steals Eirika's bracelet and kills the Renais citizens. At the end, the boss manages to escape, but is stopped by Saleh. Meanwhile, in Chapter 8, the boss is Jude, the removed seventh imperial general.

End of Chapter 6

Saleh:

Boss:

W-who the hell are you? Are you their friend?!

Saleh:

... I'm looking for someone. Have you seen two people, like a father and daughter, going this way?

Eirika:

Ah, that person... He's dangerous, run away!

Boss:

Die!

Saleh:

*Boss fights Saleh, does no damage and dies*

Eirika:

Ah...

Saleh:

... Is this what you were searching for?

Eirika:

Y-yes. Thank you...

Seth:

Excuse me, but who on earth are you? You don't look like a simple traveler, wielding that magic...

Saleh.

Saleh. I left my village to look for someone.

Seth:

Village..? Which one, specifically?

Eirika:

Seth, this person gave me back my bracelet. Inquiring him like this is simply...

Seth:

... Forgive me.

Saleh:

... It doesn't matter. It seems that's quite a valuable bracelet. It's no wonder that people who don't know of its origin would keep an eye on it.

Eirika:

P-please wait! I still haven't thanked...

Saleh:

If you find that father and daughter, tell them the villagers are looking for them...

(So Morva was supposed to travel around as well?)

Start of Chapter 8

Seth:

Who are you?

Jude:

Jude. One of the seven imperial generals, Jude Rubert.

Seth:

! Jude, "the Obsidian"...?

Jude:

Oh, so you know of me? That's an honor, Sir Seth, "Silver Knight" of Renais. I was planning to capture the princess of Renais, but she's brought a bothersome protector with her.

Eirika:

Where is my brother!?

Jude:

Well, I don't know. I heard Sir Valter failed to catch him... But regardless, we shall pursue your brother after we're done with you.

(A variation of Tirado's introduction, interesting how he had Duessel's title)

Edited by VincentASM

FE7 and 8 are the only games with leaked prototypes. In any case, I didn't feel like putting this in the General FE boards since it only covered two games.

And I wonder what Duessel's original nickname was.

We probably won't know since Duessel doesn't properly appear in this prototype : /

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out that the Heath x Vaida support used to be a little different. Again, thanks to TheEnd for the translations.

C Support

Vaida:

Heath! What are you doing?

Heath:

S-sister?!

Vaida:

Hold it! You aren't getting away. But I'm surprised... To think that you'd be here, after abandoning House Valakia and fleeing from Bern.

Heath:

... It isn't like I fled. It's something I decided by myself. No matter what you say, sister, I have no intention of going back home.

Vaida:

Heh... So, it seems you're prepared. You are no longer my brother, nor a wyvern rider of Bern. Just a betrayer who has abandoned Bern.

Heath:

Yeah... I was prepared for that.

Vaida:

Heh... So that crybaby has finally grown up? I'll let it pass this time, Heath. Fight your best and polish your skills!

Heath:

Sister...

B Support

Vaida:

Heath!

Heath:

! S-sister...?

Vaida:

Ha, you're terrible. If I were an enemy, you'd be already dead by now!

Heath:

Vaida:

There's no way a weakling like you can fight. You'd better hide behind me!

Heath:

... There are things I can do. Therefore, I'll stay here and fight alongside my comrades.

Vaida:

Heh, you sure are a dumb kid. Throwing away your pride as a wyvern rider of Bern and joining these small fries...

Heath:

In that case, why are you here, sister?

Vaida:

What did you say?

Heath:

I heard it from Lord Eliwood. You've separated from the Kingdom and are fighting for this army... Even you can see it, no? Right now, Bern's no good. It isn't like before...

Vaida:

Silence, Heath!

Heath:

Vaida:

Even though you're pathetic, you talk just like the others eh? But... you did well, Heath.

Heath:

Eh?

Vaida:

It seems you've rescued Prince Zephiel.

Heath:

Ah, yeah... but I didn't do it alone.

Vaida:

I know that much. You're just a half-assed wyvern rider. You can't really do anything. But I'll praise you just this time.

Heath:

Vaida:

That's all. I'm going. Don't follow me like old times!

A Support

Vaida:

It seems you haven't dropped dead yet, Heath.

Heath:

Sister... yeah, I'm fine. Are you alright as well?

Vaida:

Don't be so conceited! For somebody pathetic like you, it's ten years too early to understand someone else's worries! ...Is there anything wrong?

Heath:

No... No matter what you say, you really worry about me, don't you?

Vaida:

D-don't be silly! It's just that you're too sloppy...

Heath:

Thank you, sister.

Vaida:

Heh...

Heath:

However, I'm a wyvern rider just like you. Please at least let me worry about my only sister.

Vaida:

... Heh. Heath, you're a wyvern rider of House Valakia. Don't fight dishonorably and disgrace the name of our family. You hear me?

Heath:

Yeah, I know. Sister...

• 1 year later...

Missed this the first time, but I noticed the Guy x Priscilla beta support is fairly substantially different to the final version, so I bugged TheEnd to translate it.

Note that the C support is essentially the same as in the final release, while the B support is a mix of the final B and A supports. The A support is completely new though (and contains an interesting tidbit about Guy).

C Support

Priscilla:

...Umm.

Guy:

Gah!

Priscilla:

Oh, wait!

Guy:

Hm!?

Priscilla:

Your right cheek is cut. There, that should do it.

Guy:

Priscilla:

Please don’t be afraid to tell me when you are hurt. Farewell.

Guy:

...But it was barely a scratch. ......Strange girl.

B Support

Guy:

Whoa! Watch out!

Priscilla:

Huh? Eeeek!

Guy:

What!?

Priscilla:

Ahh...

Guy:

Are you OK?

Priscilla:

Y-Yes. I’m fine. My concentration broke, and I lost my balance.

Guy:

You're Priscilla, right? What's a girl like you doing here?

Priscilla:

What do you mean... a girl like me?

Guy:

You know, because you're... pretty...

Priscilla:

Huh?

Guy:

Ah! Uhh... pretty rich* that is!

Priscilla:

...Do you find it that strange?

Guy:

Well, it does seem kind of odd.

Priscilla:

Guy:

Um, but I bet you've got some reason that you can't say, huh? Not that I want to pry into your personal affairs or...

Priscilla:

...I'm sorry.

* The Japanese version uses the word "rich" in the beta and final version of the game. However, it sounds nothing like "cute" so it was changed in the English version.

A Support

Priscilla:

Guy...

Guy:

Eeep! W-when did you?!

Priscilla:

I've been by your side for a while.

Guy:

D-damn, I didn't notice at all... S-so, what do you want?!

Priscilla:

Don't... push yourself too hard. You don't need to try and be like the others. You're still young after all.

Guy:

You don't have to treat me like a child! Besides, we're about the same age, aren't we?

Priscilla:

Is that so? Then tell me, how old are you?

Guy:

Tch... I'm 15!

Priscilla:

As I thought... I'm indeed the older one.

Guy:

W-why are you boasting about it...? Ah, I saw that! You chuckled now, didn't you? Don't you forget that I'm a warrior of Sacae!

Edited by VincentASM

It was sort of implied that Guy was around fifteen in his support conversations with Rath. Rath left the tribe fifteen years ago, and Guy mentioned being too young to remember Rath, so it's fairly likely that Guy was a baby around the time Rath was sent away. So it's pretty reasonable to assume that Guy was around 15-16 during the game.

Though it's nice to actually have his aged confirmed. ^_^ Though that would mean that Guy left on his travels at 12-13... Saceans must really suck at parenting. XD

It's pretty interesting to see the changes throughout the game. I'm glad they changed Heath, and the GuyxPriscilla support. GuyxPriscilla is my favorite pairing in the game, and the beta conversations seem a little... off. Though I wish they could've kept supports for BartrexIsadora and BartrexDart; they probably would have been great to read (If finalized). ^_^