1up.com has some new information on the game in which this interesting bullet point appears:

- Four difficulty levels, from Normal to Lunatic, selectable at the start of a new game. In addition, gamers can opt to play in "Casual Mode," where you do not lose allied units permanently if they fall in battle. (There's also "Classic Mode" if you'd prefer to play Fire Emblem in the more traditional manner.)

I know that you, the huge fans, think that permadeath is one of the biggest series staples that should never ever be touched upon but keep in mind that there is an even bigger number of people who refuse to play FE because of it.

Oh and that way we can be sure that we'll get better Gaiden requirements this time.

... can I say something snarky about the highest difficulty being Lunatic is there to appeal to Touhou fans who make up a large part of the FE fanbase?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are keeping the classic death mechanics, so I don't give a shit if they have a Carebear Mode option. More choices is better, if that's what it takes to get this game to sell, so that I keep getting new Fire Emblems. Give Marth a rocket launcher on Easy mode, too, knock yourself out.

Looking forward to see what Lunatic has to offer. I approve of their relatively recent turn towards offering NA players modes that are challenging.

Lunatic better be as brutal as H5. Otherwise, I don't really care about the other stuff. Nice for the people that do, I guess.

I love how they call it Casual Mode rather than Easy Mode.

Regardless, the perma-death thing was probably the biggest gripe of newcomers, so at least this non-permanent death thing is restricted to one mode, so when they get to harder modes they won't be surprised that they can't keep people who die. It's a nice way to transition newcomers into the series without all the bitching about perma-deaths while keeping old fans happy with higher difficulties in-tact.

I think it's a smart move on their part from a selling perspective.

Hmm, since that info has been posted, I suppose I'll post some of the less amazing info, but I think some people might be interested.

General features

• Wi-Fi options - You can download new maps, battle other players on special multi-player maps, loan characters and communicate with other players.
  • Guide - A function that lets you learn about character relationships and background information on the game's nations.
  • Reclassing from Shadow Dragon makes a return.
  • The prologue, which begins after creating your custom character, doubles as a tutorial.

My Unit customisation

You can set the following:

• Name
  • Class - Males can choose from Mercenary, Knight, Cavalier, Fighter, Archer or Mage. Females can be a Myrmidon, Pegasus Knight, Cavalier, Archer or Mage.
  • Appearance - Includes 13 hairstyles, 10 hair colours and 10 types eyes. There are even Mohawk and Afro hairstyles. You can set eyes to be closed or have eyepatches, and there are also mouth masks.
  • You can choose your character's past, present and future.
  • Past: Merchant's child, Cleric's child, Orphan, Farmer's child, Noble's child
  • Present: Beautiful, Wise, Diverse, Strong
  • Future: Humanitarian, Truth-seeker, Recluse

All of this was apparently from a retail meeting set up by Nintendo. I haven't seen the original source, but it appears to come from the same person who leaked details of Shadow Dragon early (and got everything correct, such as the difficulty levels and new classes - I just never decided to post it back then).

Edited by VincentASM

I'm under the assumption that "Casual mode" isn't a difficulty level, more like a toggle. You could play Lunatic mode with it on, for instance. Course, the article might just be worded strangely, and I'm completely wrong.

edit: no skin color choices? NINTENDOOOOOO

Edited by A boy named Sal

Reclassing from Shadow Dragon makes a return.

Class - Males can choose from Mercenary, Knight, Cavalier, Fighter, Archer or Mage. Females can be a Myrmidon, Pegasus Knight, Cavalier, Archer or Mage.

... that doesn't sound like they redid the class sets though. :(

For the females that is.

Since IS has been taking their time to give individual outfits for My Unit maybe my theory about class-specific outfits for everyone else turn out to be true?

Edited by Ike-Mike

There's a chance that the reclassing options for normal units is different than that of the custom character. That or Sheema is either going to be reclassed or be in the female set with General being exclusive to her.

That bullet in the first post is definitely a step in the right direction.

Edited by Speedwagon

Haha, Casual Mode. Well, I don't think I'll try it, part of the fun is that you actually have to take care of your units, because if they die, they're gone for real. It's like Reclassing, it's nice to have the option, but I probably won't use it.

Damn it. They should have left this one on the chopping block.

Sirius, the magic Draaacoooo, liiives by the sea...

... that doesn't sound like they redid the class sets though. :(

For the females that is.

Want more? 6 classes available to males, only 5 for females.

Even weirder, men can't chose myrm (Raddy, Navarre), women can't chose cav (Cecile).

Would be super lame if they did that with Sheema though.

Since IS has been taking their time to give individual outfits for My Unit maybe my theory about class-specific outfits for everyone else turn out to be true?

Here's another idea. Downloadable Content anyone?

Want more? 6 classes available to males, only 5 for females.

Even weirder, men can't chose myrm (Raddy, Navarre), women can't chose cav (Cecile).

Would be super lame if they did that with Sheema though.

Keep in mind this is only for "my unit" customization. Regular class sets could be more diverse.

It's possible that the 'starting class' of your My Unit is part of the effect on stats/appearance. Similarly I figure the Past-Present-Future thing also effects your growth rates. Then whatever chapter Reclassing is available for you can reclass your character like any other unit. It's possible all the starting class pick does is pick your outfit, and you are stuck with it as you reclass.

It is a bit odd how few heavy classes are in the male set.

I have two theories about how Reclassing might be handled for this game.

-Exactly the same. Sheema will either be a Female Set with special access to General, or Power Set as a Girl.

-The overall circles are smaller in some way with some overlap. Instead of having six classes a set, you have 3 or 4. Meaning Sheema being a female General might only allow for a few more options for her, instead of all six in the old Power Set set-up.

Honestly the best thing is to wait and see what we get in info July 2nd when FE World updates again.

Keep in mind this is only for "my unit" customization. Regular class sets could be more diverse.

That last bit was responding o Ike-Mike mentioning that they might just make General class unique or Sheema while still keeping her in the female class set, rather than her having access to the B set of Hero/Warrior/Berserker/Sorcerer/General.

-The overall circles are smaller in some way with some overlap. Instead of having six classes a set, you have 3 or 4. Meaning Sheema being a female General might only allow for a few more options for her, instead of all six in the old Power Set set-up.

That's exactly how I imagined a retool of reclass to be.

It would give an unit enough freedom to switch classes all while being relatively in-character.

Now throw in individual outfits for character portraits and it would be perfect.

Honestly I'm glad they gave females Cavalier at least. The lack of axes pre promotion for females saddens me though.

If this game uses the weapon ranks/bases of SD for reclass I really hope they add lancer reavers back in New Mystery otherwise myrm/swordmaster will be just as useless of a class on vicious as it was on H5. The women better start with D ranks as wyverns to compensate cause this is just gonna turn really unfair once promotion phase begins. Just imagine instead of going fighter/hero instead the manly men go fighter/draco and have C-B ranks while the women are left struggling at E ranks. Edit: Then again this is FE3 BOOK 2 so Lances might still be the best weapons. So hey I could just be whining about nothing.

Archers better have 6 move. Heck so should mage/cleric/knight. Their really is no excuse for knights to have absolute shit for move considering most of them have no speed whatsoever. Might as well give them the same move as every other unit since they aren't going to double everything on the map.

Perhaps after the character promotes the player can choose between a whole bunch of classes depending on the set their in. Like an archer could look forward to using both Horseman/Sniper. Maybe even General might be available as a promotion class for women somehow....

Edited by Mr. Francis York Morgan

I don't know how I would feel with a female Berserker.

Probably have a female B set with Horsemen(Horsewoman?), DracoKnight, Hero, General, and Sorcerer. But I have no clue yet, but one thing is for sure, I gonna start as a Mercenary!

Edited by JosefLior

They could fix those problems somewhat just by not having the environmental issues that Shadow Dragon had. By which I mean, taking away the non-stop steamroll of enemies with Lances (sucks to be you, Sword guys who always take counters!), and giving you more than one goddamn Arms Scroll prior to the effective end of the game.

Might even see a complete reversal of that. For a majority of the game (Chapter 1, Viking chapter, the dragon valley and altar) is filled with axe users and even dragons make up a nice majority (Wyrmslayers).

If in our new Book 3 however, it's entirely possible they have a more spread out weapon balance in the enemy cast. Just looking at the small snipit of a new map, there is a merc, myrm, an armor and some fighters, so it shows they at least thought ahead on that one.

i like casual mode, because it makes the game developers not worry too much about making the game too difficult.

now, just here hoping they add another set to the females. and add more classes. even though i find that highly improbable.