• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 eclipse

eclipse

Far away, above the shooting star

• Section Moderator
  • Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Shadow Dragon

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:17 AM

I would, but I'm horrible with art of people.

#62 Shuuda

Shuuda

e-Philistine

• Global Moderator

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:07 PM

Here's an update. I made a small piece of scenery modelled on a dojo for Lyra, and then took a few shots while messing around with the lights and the camera.

Spoiler (Happy Lyra?)

I hope you enjoy, and feel free to comment.

#63 kdanger

kdanger

attack of the singular they

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Path of Radiance

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:39 PM

Aaah, took me a while to get back to this. Aaaaaanyway.

The first thing that jumps out at me is the eyes. The edges of the eyes shouldn't be so rounded-- eyes have corners. I actually really like the eyes, apart from this; the shading and detail is very nice. They do seem to be a bit droopy on the bottom edges, but the corners are the big thing.

Rest of the face: Okay. It seems a bit flat, but I know modeling faces is hard, lord knows I'm terrible at it. Nose is a bit high up I think, could scoot that down a bit.

Hair: Whether the hair has issues depends on what kind of texture and volume you're going for. Right now it seems to be a little rough, though a lot of that has to do with thickness/vertex count, so I'm a bit less concerned with that. There's a whole lot of volume right now, though-- it poofs out a lot from her head before falling down. Asian and Caucasian hair tend to lie flatter.

Anatomy: Okay, here we go. You really want someone like Lumi to do this, she's better at it than me. Anyway, I went and tried to make a guess at what the figure is shaped like-- I couldn't do the legs because of the pants, so I just guessed at where the knees are.

Spoiler (vandalism)

She's about six heads tall. Nothing wrong with that if you're going for a more cartoony look, but if you're looking for a more realistic look you want more like 7.

Arms: I can't tell if this is just the angle, but they look a bit short. I'm assuming you modeled her in T-pose to start out with, then posed her; try posing her with her arms flat at her sides to see where her hands go to. Standing with hands at sides, a person's fingers generally end somewhere around mid-thigh.

I do rather like the lighting in those interior shots. Texturing on her skin also turned out really nice.

#64 Shuuda

Shuuda

e-Philistine

• Global Moderator

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:00 PM

Arms: I can't tell if this is just the angle, but they look a bit short. I'm assuming you modeled her in T-pose to start out with, then posed her; try posing her with her arms flat at her sides to see where her hands go to. Standing with hands at sides, a person's fingers generally end somewhere around mid-thigh.

To answer this bit, I modelled the character with her arms in the position in the picture you used, which was how they were posed on the turn around I used as reference. I don't think modelling the character with her arms flat at her sides would probably make skinning the model a nightmare. Posing them with their arms outwards at least means that elbow and finger joints aren't going to end up affecting her torso area.

#65 kdanger

kdanger

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:03 PM

Wait, so she isn't rigged? I see. Disregard what I said there about posing, then, I thought she was on an armature and it would be easy enough to just pose her for a moment to see how things lined up (how long the arms are in comparison to her torso.)

Yeah modeling with arms flat at the sides is generally a bad idea; that's not what I was suggesting.

Edited by Kiryn, 13 June 2011 - 04:04 PM.

#66 Shuuda

Shuuda

e-Philistine

• Global Moderator

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:09 PM

She does have armature, that's the point. If I had her arms flat by her side then the joints in her fingers would end up affecting her thighs or lower torso, which then I'd have to spend a lot more time (even more than I normally would) with the paint skin weights tool to make sure the finger joints only affect the fingers. That would be nightmarish since each hand has around fifteen joints each.

#67 kdanger

kdanger

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:16 PM

Ah, okay.

I wasn't suggesting any sort of permanent pose, just to see where her arms are. I couldn't tell from the angle the pictures were on if her arms were proportionally short or just foreshortened by perspective. I'm going to take a guess that they're just foreshortened and not actually too short, if they end up screwing things up with her legs when they're at her sides.

Too much confusion augh.

#68 Shuuda

Shuuda

e-Philistine

• Global Moderator

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:21 PM

Not put anything up in a while, so here's a little something I made quickly today.

Spoiler (Eye Staff)

#69 Sawslothducksaucestrawman

Sawslothducksaucestrawman

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Radiant Dawn

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:48 AM

Is that one of those things from yugioh or did you just make it up?

#70 Shuuda

Shuuda

e-Philistine

• Global Moderator

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:02 PM

This is still a work in progress piece, but since I've been working on it for a while I decided I might as well show it off show far.

Spoiler (Eiiza)

#71 Shuuda

Shuuda

e-Philistine

• Global Moderator

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:07 PM

Since I've not put anything up in quite a while, here's a little in progress work.

Spoiler (Chamber)

#72 SeverIan

SeverIan

Super Saiyan Reinhard

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:N/A

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:11 PM

Since I've not put anything up in quite a while, here's a little in progress work.

Spoiler (Chamber)

Tres mysterieux! Is it a Jenova sample sitting in the tank, or what?

#73 Marthur

Marthur

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Genealogy of the Holy War

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:51 PM

Spoiler (Chamber)

The gear's texture is stretched on the second picture.

Also:
Spoiler ()

Everything else is great though. Nice lighting.

Edited by Marthur, 17 September 2011 - 03:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users