The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

VincentASM

You can now pre-order the limited edition from Amazon. If you have a PSP and like RPGs, I would definitely recommend that you at least keep an eye out for this game. It's one of the best story-driven RPGs in recent years. Previously, the game was only available in Japan (known as Sora no Kiseki), but XSEED is releasing the PSP port in North America. I don't even have a PSP yet, but I've already pre-ordered the game : D

Dialogue2.jpg

Features

• The Legend of Heroes Series Returns to PSP in Top Form-After a brief hiatus since its last release in January 2007, this latest The Legend of Heroes title kicks off a new trilogy and brings this innovative RPG series to new heights.
  • Amazing Original Soundtrack-Another highly-acclaimed soundtrack from the renowned music department at development house Falcom, 57 original tracks set the mood for this moving tale.
  • All enemies are visible on the field map with no random battles, and once an enemy is engaged a strategic turn-based system including character-based, weapon-based, and a customizable magic scheme, reveals an extremely deep battle system
  • The Biggest Adventure to Ever Appear on a Handheld System-A powerful and emotional main story including a large and well-developed cast of characters combine to make an epic tale spanning well over 50 hours of core gameplay.

(If you have the misfortune to know about the first Legend of Heroes trilogy on the PSP, don't worry, this trilogy is miles better.)

Links and stuff

Videos

Music

Artwork

Edited by VincentASM

Actually, I feel like I should explain how the series works. Basically yes, they're all about as related as FF games are, but there are several sub-series within which can be kind of hard to follow for anyone new to the series.

The Legend of Heroes 1 & 2 (Dragon Slayer 1 & 2) are related to each other.

The Legend of Heroes 3, 4, and 5 (White Witch, Tear of Vermillion and Song of the Ocean, respectively) are also related to each other. In the fandom they're commonly referred to as the Gagharv trilogy.

And then the Kiseki/Trails in the Sky series, which makes up all the entries in the series after 5, are all related to each other as well. Unlike the Gagharv trilogy where the relation mostly consists of a few recurring characters and some thematic similarities, the Kiseki games are all very closely connected.

None of these sub-series within the main series are related to each other. Now, fair warning: Bamco butchered the Gagharv trilogy pretty bad (horrible localization, altered the gameplay specifically for the American release (and made it suck)), so even if you've played them and thought they were bad, don't let that stop you from at least looking into Trails in the Sky. And with that, it's time for me to disappear again.

Edited by HJ.

• 1 month later...

Bumping because the official site has opened (you can find a link to it in the first post). Just less than two weeks until the game's coming out, anybody else decided to pick up the game or are at least interested in it?

Also...

[spoiler=Wrrrry?]Kloe ;__;

Yes, it's just a name, but it's going to be ages untl I stop seeing it as Klose missing a letter.

EDIT

This article might also interest some people.

Edited by VincentASM

Hey, at least most character names remained intact!

... I'm making things worse, am I not.

Also, looking at the relevant thread at ALoY I saw people talking about a password. I know where we're supposed to write it, but what is it about?

... I'm making things worse, am I not.

: (

I noticed Keele is now Kyle. I can live with that since it actually looks like a name (yes, I'm aware Kyle is a real name).

Also, looking at the relevant thread at ALoY I saw people talking about a password. I know where we're supposed to write it, but what is it about?

Apparently it's hidden in the English version of the game. I have a feeling you can find out by hacking the swf file. It shouldn't be too hard to do for me...

EDIT

Nah, that whole password entry form has been temporarily disabled until it's actually... you know... relevant. smileywyrd.gif It'll be back in working order when the game is launched.

-Tom

>: O

Edited by VincentASM

: (

I noticed Keele is now Kyle. I can live with that since it actually looks like a name (yes, I'm aware Kyle is a real name).

/pat

Well, I admit I never bothered romanizing his name... or checking any official romanizations. So I'm perfectly fine with Kyle.

Apparently it's hidden in the English version of the game. I have a feeling you can find out by hacking the swf file. It shouldn't be too hard to do for me...

EDIT

>: O

I feel trolled.

I remember seeing videos of the titles for years, wanting to try them out when I was younger, but irritated because there was no localization of them.

I might pick them up sometime, at this point I think I could probably keep up with the dialogue.

I remember seeing videos of the titles for years, wanting to try them out when I was younger, but irritated because there was no localization of them.

I might pick them up sometime, at this point I think I could probably keep up with the dialogue.

Keeping up with the dialogue might be asking too much at this point, but you should definitely give it a shot - I found the game mechanics and music entertaining. I pretty much had to ignore the story in the first time I played the trilogy, myself. But seeing my progress when I replayed the games a few years later was definitely satisfying.

• 2 weeks later...

At this point I'm just waiting for my preorder to arrive, which is expected to happen just after my birthday....yay. Been hoping for this series to get here for a long time and I'm happy the folks at XSEED are Falcom junkies (admitted by the president of XSEED in some very early press release when they first began shacking up with Falcom to get the last few Ys games over here) hardcore enough to actually tackle the massive script Sora no Kiseki has. Those guys have taken a lot of my money recently actually: Ys Seven (playable Dogi had me sold from day 1 of its JP announcement), Oath in Felghana, Ys Chronicles and now Sora no Kiseki. Yeah I've played and beaten Oath and Ys Complete more than a healthy amount of times on the PC, but I bought them out of principle. You know, if they don't sell then XSEED won't keep giving us new stuff and dammit, I will not tolerate Sora no Kiseki ending up like Shining Force 3, with us getting only 1 title of the 3 part game.