Matthew's Nightmare

Cedar

So...I actually made this for markyjoe1990's ragefest contest, but decided to post it here for the lulz.

It's my first completed hack~ :P:

Plot summary: Serra wants Matthew to be her vassal (since Hector won't give her any), but Matthew refuses her offer for obvious reasons. In response, Serra puts Matthew to sleep, trapping him in a super twisted nightmare to get him to agree to be her vassal. The player's job is to help Matthew escape the nightmare without dying...

Behold the random screenshots:

Where.pngYou.png

Fog.pngVassal.png

Prompt.pngProjection.png

Loldie.pngDeathtoSerra1.png

Batta.pngLolBatta.png

conscience.pngSanity.png

Wallace.pngGaschamber.png

Moulder.pngshotgun.png

Ballista.pngThunder.png

laser.pngBudgie.png

Deathlanc.pngzombie.png

TEB.pngLoltransforme.png

Merrymen.pngMerrymen2.png

Matthew.pngwater.png

WARNING: This is a single-chapter hack. However, it is quite sadistic...especially when played without any previous knowledge of all the silly, unfair traps...

The patch can be found here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?iz9ng289b3l5e57

And the credits. Yay credits!

CREDITS AND SPECIAL THANKS

So...As much as I'd like to take all the credit for creating this hack, I would never had pulled it off if it weren't for the support and inspiration of many awesome people (most of whom are listed below). In one way or another, they all helped make "Matthew's Nightmare" a true success, and I am indebted to them for their awesomeness.

I would first like to thank MarkyJoe1990 for hosting the ragefest contest... I really did enjoy pushing the limits of my hacking knowledge to create the most sadistic, rage-inducing chapter I could think of... And overall, I'm delighted how it turned out. Frankly, without this contest, I would have never thought of making such a sadistic hack...so thank you for doing this, MarkyJoe!

I would also like to sincerely thank Dess, Stefan, PhoenixTears, and Kiroshima for the use of their spliced/custom mugs and/or custom animations. Specific credits are as follows:

Dess - Budgie mug, budgie animation, Moulder animation, Ezra mug

Stefan - Stefan mug

PhoenixTears -Phoenix mug

Kiroshima -Kiro mug

All of these sprites were actually made for a zombie hack that the Emblem Brigade is developing at the moment...but I inserted them in "Matthew's Nightmare" for the lulz (as well as to promote TEB, of course). Obviously, I could have never made these sprites on my own, since I fail at spriting. And the spliced mugs I did end up making (the generic pegasus rider, Mr.Moulder, and wyvern Matthew) took a long time. Believe me, my hack would have been completely devoid of custom graphics without the help of my fellow spriters. They are awesome. Applaud their awesomeness.

Thirdly, I am extremely grateful to all my playtesters: Ezra, Stefan, Masterplan201, Ephraim222, and soadfa. Thank you so much for being brave souls and playtesting this evil monster of a chapter! I sincerely applaud their epic patience and wonderful feedback. If not for them, my hack would probably still be jacked up with bugs and glitches...and that would really suck.

As a side note, it took me around 5 restarts to beat the final version of the hack...And I knew all the traps from the getgo.

Only two of my playtesters (Ezra and Ephraim222) reported to have beaten the hack savestateless, and neither could beat the hack under 20 restarts...Man, that's a lot of patience right there.

Personally, I think they're deserving of major props. PROPS!

Fourthly, I'd like to thank the TEB community at large. All the members were extremely supportive of my hack and gave awesome tips on how to make the chapter as sadistic as possible. Many ideas and designs in the hack were based heavily off their suggestions; and their encouragement drove me forward to finally finish the hack after many setbacks and glitchy event happenings. TEB, thank you again for your support. I would have not completed the hack by the deadline without all your help.

Fifthly, I thank everyone who made utilities and/or wrote tutorials that allowed me to hack in the first place...more specifically, I'd like to thank Arch for his epic event hacking tutorial/Nightmare modules; Nintenlord for his Event Assembler/MAR Array inserter/Nightmare modules, Xeld for his FEditor/Nightmare modules, Blazer for his Ultimate FE Tutorial/Nightmare modules, MarkyJoe1990 for his map insertion tutorial, SpyroDi, IcyToast, and GK for their Nightmare modules, and all the hard-working hackers out there that I have not named who continue to make hacking easier for the rest of us... Thank you, thank you, thank you! I couldn't have done any of this without your sweet hacking tutorials and utilities.

Finally, I thank you, the player, for playing this hack. Really, I hope you enjoyed it despite all the rage-inducing evilness. I tried to make the chapter as entertaining as possible...Hopefully you had fun, even after your 20th attempt to beat the freaking chapter. Thank you so much for your patience and for making this hack a success. :)

(By the way, on the off chance that you were successful in beating the hack, BLIND, with less than 20 restarts, you have earned my undying respect and awe.)

Oh, and Cedar does not in any way own Fire Emblem, Nintendo, Intelligence Systems, or Inception (though the hack does parody it a bit, if you hadn't noticed already). Yeah...Fan-made hacks are fun.

In my humble opinion, this hack really isn't as "fun" when you're not doing it blind and savestateless...but if you just want to play it for the lulz, by all means, have at it.

Enjoy! :lol:

Edited by Cedar

I beat the first part (but raged twice because I couldn't understand why Batta whooped me... and to be honest, I STILL DON'T REALLY GET IT, but whatever...) in about 5-7 restarts (can't remember), then I hit the second part and it was so crazy I just ragequit.

In short, you beat me. I lost the game. >__>

I beat the first part (but raged twice because I couldn't understand why Batta whooped me... and to be honest, I STILL DON'T REALLY GET IT, but whatever...) in about 5-7 restarts (can't remember), then I hit the second part and it was so crazy I just ragequit.

In short, you beat me. I lost the game. >__>

[spoiler=x] You have to fight against Batta with full health.

I had to restard the game 50-70 times laugh.gif and the final part where you have to find the portal I just found because Markyjoes1990's video.

I'm in the credits gee_wiz_emoticon.gif

Thank you! wink.gif

Edited by Masterplan201

I'm still trying to get to the third part, honestly. Once I do, I'll pull off my epic deathsquad-defying magic portal escape vid.

No video or pics? Hum.

I'll post some up soonest!

And as mentioned before, there's the LP, but screenshots are always nice to have.

I'm still trying to get to the third part, honestly. Once I do, I'll pull off my epic deathsquad-defying magic portal escape vid.

Sweet! Looking forward to it. :lol:

This is very good. Still trying to figure out how to win the third part. Stupid house glitches the game :(

Edited by Mekkah

A house glitch, eh? Interesting...Never come across that one before.

Could you describe what happens? I'll try my best to figure out what's going on...

Thanks for letting me know, and sorry about the glitchiness!

I thought it was intentional at first, so I might have RNG/fortheal abused more than was intended...

Also, sometimes when I press B when Serra asks me if I want to be her vassal she interprets it as yes. Is that intentional? It does fit with her personality....

Don't watch this video if you have not played yet.

I thought it was intentional at first, so I might have RNG/fortheal abused more than was intended...

Whoah...Did you kill off Serra (1st time) without recruiting Hector or Erk...?

If you did, super props to you. O_O

But yeah, that house glitch is definitely unintentional... I mean, whoooah. What happened there?

Hmm...Let's see...

Uh, uh...If you ever "resumed" or suspended the game at any point, I could imagine that being the cause of a glitch...

A more probable reason would be that I unintentionally selected an event ID for the house event that already pre-coded for something else.

Those kinds of glitches seemed to crop up a lot in my hack's early stages (due to the sheer number of events I tried to cram into one chapter), so I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case...

Also, sometimes when I press B when Serra asks me if I want to be her vassal she interprets it as yes. Is that intentional? It does fit with her personality....

This is another unintentional glitch... But I left it as is, in the hopes of catching the player off guard (and thus forcing the player to manually select "No" at the start of each turn, just to be safe).

Personally, I found this "trap" hilarious, since it actually caught ME, cold, when I was playtesting the hack. It was my 50th turn, and I hadn't used any savestates up to that point...Then it happened. And I cried.

Anyway, thanks for posting the video! And more apologies for the glitchiness...

Unfortunately, I probably won't be fixing this glitch anytime soon, due to my laziness...but I really appreciate your help! :)

Whoah...Did you kill off Serra (1st time) without recruiting Hector or Erk...?

If you did, super props to you. O_O

Yeah, for some reason I only ever tried talking to people as a Wyvern Lord so I assumed the whole "you can recruit them" thing was a troll (with Lucius being icing on the trollcake), and just killed them all instead, mostly as an Assassin. I gained enough level ups to outspeed Serra, stole her Iron Rune, and then just went with crits from there. I don't think Assassinate worked. Serra also seems to randomly decide my attacks do negative damage and heal up, which made me laugh.

Uh, uh...If you ever "resumed" or suspended the game at any point, I could imagine that being the cause of a glitch...

I know for sure I used Resume once just to see if it worked, but I don't remember at what point and if I ever reverted back with savestates. If I can ever get to that point again I'll try for sure...right now I'm just having major trouble getting to Assassin form because Erk and his Nomad Trooper friends are so strong and guard that whole area. It was easier when I could just murder him...

This is another unintentional glitch... But I left it as is, in the hopes of catching the player off guard (and thus forcing the player to manually select "No" at the start of each turn, just to be safe).

Personally, I found this "trap" hilarious, since it actually caught ME, cold, when I was playtesting the hack. It was my 50th turn, and I hadn't used any savestates up to that point...Then it happened. And I cried.

That is basically what I do for FE8Troll: I try out fiddling with stuff, and sometimes an accidental hilarious thing happens that makes the game harder or weirder, and I keep that in. Of course, FE8Troll is just semi-randomly choosing things in Nightmare (I wonder what this button does?) whereas this is an epic display of hacking talent and skills. Kudos to you.

Serra also seems to randomly decide my attacks do negative damage and heal up, which made me laugh.

You do know that "Epic Hax" has the Nosferatu effect, right? It doesn't show it in the battle anim though, since you have to script it for it to display properly.

You do know that "Epic Hax" has the Nosferatu effect, right? It doesn't show it in the battle anim though, since you have to script it for it to display properly.

Yep, I'm aware of this. But I was too lazy to do a custom weapon animation for it...and I didn't want to give it the Nosferatu animation just to make the battle animation make sense.

So I left it as is as another testimony of my laziness, lol.

Besides, it seems to confuse the heck out of people, so leaving it in there should be fine~ Watch as Cedar attempts to justify her laziness.

Thanks for pointing it out though. :)

Still can't beat the first level

Promoted enemies don't move, so just learn their layout.

Grind a level off the unpromoted guys to have >18HP so that Batta doesn't OHKO

Also

fugginhaxtor.png

AND NOT A SINGLE FUCK WAS GIVEN THAT DAY

Edited by Paperblade

Promoted enemies don't move, so just learn their layout.

Grind a level off the unpromoted guys to have >18HP so that Batta doesn't OHKO

Also

fugginhaxtor.png

AND NOT A SINGLE FUCK WAS GIVEN THAT DAY

Thx a bunch lol

• 1 month later...

You need Nintenlord's UPS patcher (NUPS) to apply the patch, which can be found here:

http://fireemblemnew...?showtopic=1175

Just follow the instructions in the README that comes with the NUPS program, and you should be fine. The patch should be applied to a clean FE7 ROM.

:lol:thank you so much

im really looking forward to playing it