70 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you favor?

• A units growths
    • A units bases

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bases. If your bases aren't good, then your growths will never come into play. How many growth units are considered all that good? How many units with good bases are considered all that good? Besides, as dondon has shown, you can get through FE just fine without any growths at all.

Growths are nice to have, but I'd rather take a base unit that's good off the bat than a growth unit that needs babying. Takes too long and I get impatient. I mean, there's a Pent that's good to go for like, ever, with amazing ranks to boot, why still grind for Nino?

I won't complain when good growths and good bases coexist, though~

Plus, bases are reliable. Even with amazing growths, unless they're all 100+ or something, RNG could still fuck you in the ass. Like that time when my Seth got terribly HP screwed with his 90%. Bluh.

Edited by Luminescent Kitty

Base units are better from a statistical and efficient standpoint in the majority of cases, but I tend to have more fun using growth units. I like seeing a character who started weak running around soloing maps later on :P:.

Well, I do value growths over base stats, you can't abuse your growths if your bases aren't good enough. However, you won't be a very good long term unit if your growths aren't good enough unless your bases are so good you can get away with not getting any stats upon level up(see: Percival, Pent, Harken.)

So while bases are more important than growths, most units still need their growths to get anywhere once their bases become obsolete(see: Dieck, Rutgar)

Edited by James

I prefer growths to bases. But if a unit's bases are so high despite terrible growths (Horace, Percival) I'll use 'em anyway. But I prefer growth units that don't join too late than better base/lower growth ones.

Bases alone absolutely determine a unit's stats at at least one point in the game and determine the minimum in those stats throughout the rest of the game. Growths don't necessarily determine a character's stats at any point in the game. Statistically speaking, there's no question about it.

If it's something you naturally have to baby like a magical unit, growths.

I'd like to point out that the magic units that are generally considered good don't need to be babied, or at least don't need much. Sety and Pent, for example, are considered great, and their bases are good enough to last the whole game. There are also ones that are considered good, but not great, that need some EXP but don't require babying.

Also, I know this probably isn't what the OP was talking about, but there are also weapon levels to take into account. Growth units generally have poor weapon levels relative to those who have high bases. If you count those as bases as well, then that, IMO, puts bases quite easily ahead of growths.

I enjoy babying stuff. Nothing beats the feeling that a unit has untapped potential, and it's your care that brings the most out of it.

Besides, high base low growth characters are too consistent, high growths leaves a lot of room for different end stats for each playthrough which is always enjoyable.

I just use whoever I like.

That. And many growth units just do NOT look like fighters. Nino...is not a Sage. I refuse to think of her as such. I refuse to allow it to occur. Same with Druid!Ewan, General!Amelia, High Priest Sharlow. (Exception is Ross, and even then only to Hero, and I'll cheerfully admit he isn't particularly great.)

From a pure gameplay perspective, bases.

Bases are probably more important, but I definitely have much more fun with higher growths, since I can watch originally crappy units become unarguably awesome by the next chapter or so, and it gives a bit more challenge in the short term as well.

Maybe I'm too bitter from being screwed, but I feel like growth units can almost ruin playthroughs (From a fun stand point at the least) if you get screwed. Guy strength screwed? Harhar too bad. All those resources and effort gave you a shitty unit. Harken gains 0 stats on every level up? Don't give a damn, still badass.

I enjoy a mix of both. I've a tendency towards growth units, but only when they're fun to baby, and not tedious. Like, I hate babying Rebecca because even if you do she only gets the same amount of experience as everyone else, whereas babying Nino at that point in the game feels faster because she's gaining more experience.

Actually maybe I love growth units. I find using FE10 Astrid and Fiona incredibly fun simply because it's so nice to see a crappy unit do well. Using Ike? Pfft. No fun.

I enjoy babying stuff. Nothing beats the feeling that a unit has untapped potential, and it's your care that brings the most out of it.

Besides, high base low growth characters are too consistent, high growths leaves a lot of room for different end stats for each playthrough which is always enjoyable.

QFT. this is an interesting topic. i'd never actually even really thought about it, b/c i almost always just use whoever i want and enjoy the challenge of babying characters and seeing how they end up (although generally it seems when i compare my characters' to the expected averages they usually end up a few points under).

That. And many growth units just do NOT look like fighters.

This applies to so many characters, the kids mostly, it's not even funny. Still, it's kind of amusing leveling them up and having them own face.

I forgot to mention characters like Pent and Louise. They seem so out of place.

Edited by Ein Silver Rose