TearRing Saga Tier List + General Discussion

Aquilae

TRS generally doesn't get as much attention as the FE series, which is kind of a shame as it's a really fun game, albeit easy at times. Anyway, feel free to ask questions about TRS, and discuss general stuff about it. WoD has a near complete guide to TRS with maps and all, so you can check them out if you need to.

I rejiggered the old tier list from FEG, so discuss away! Generally, characters should promote as early as possible (level 10 for most units), and Super Proofs are used if needed (most of the time, they won't really get to use them). The item duplication trick is not assumed =P

[spoiler=Tier List]

Snickers:

Narron (Runan)

High:

Raffin

Vega

Shigen

Narron (Holmes)

Sun

Rishel

Lionel

Mahter

Xeno

Samson

Lee (Runan)

Zeek

Loffaru

Upper Mid:

Holmes

Alicia

Katri

Lee (Holmes)

Mintz

Roger

Maruju

Meriah

Attrom

Mel

Plum

Runan

Lyria

Ezekiel (Runan)

Sierra

Julia

Rene

Barts

Yoda

Frau

Low Mid:

Ezekiel (Holmes)

Kreiss

Arkis

Rennie

Enteh

Norton

Yuni

Zachariah

Lionheart

Kate

Estelle

Sharon

Billford

Shirou

Sasha

Racquel

Low:

Leteena

Rebecca

Ruka (Runan)

Narsus

Bud

Verna

Garo

Sennet

Alfred

Tia

Ruka (Holmes)

Bottom:

Maerchen

Thomas

Krisheena

Hagaru

Rina

Anyway, I've been looking at the terrain skills, and they seem overlooked. They give out a 10% Hit and Evasion bonus and a +1 boost to movement if the character is on a specific type of map. They can be learnt in Brahd, after Map 15, at the cost of 7000G. It's certainly an exorbitant price, but the +1 movement boost is pretty useful, especially on Holmes.

I don't think Runan gets access to Brahd at any point in the game, so the guys in his party can't learn those skills.

For reference, here are the map types for every map:

Map 1: Plain

Map 2: Mountain

Map 3: Plain

Map 4: Forest

Map 5: City

Map 6: River

Map 7: Frontier

Map 8: Frontier

Map 9: Plains

Map 10: Plains

Map 11: Mountain

Map 12: Sea

Map 13: Sea

Map 14: City

Map 15: Plains

Map 16: Frontier

Map 17: Plains

Map 18: Forest

Map 19: Forest

Map 20: Frontier

Map 21: Frontier

Map 22: Plains

Map 23: Forest

Map 24: River

Map 25: Frontier

Map 26A: City

Map 26B: City

Map 27: Sea

Map 28: Sea

Map 29: City

Map 30: Plains

Map 31: Frontier

Map 32: Frontier

Map 33: City

Map 34: Plains

Map 35: City

Map 36: City

Map 37: City

Map 38: City

Map 39: City

Map 40: Frontier

I'm thinking Frontier Fighter could be a viable choice to put on Holmes, giving him better movement in Maps 16 and 21, and allowing him to reach the chests in Map 16 more easily. He also doesn't get damaged by the swamps with that skill on, which is also pretty great.

Nice to see a discussion on this game.

I think Rennie could go up, seeing how she levels up really fast and is 10% likely to receive a movement boost each level (which is twice as likely compared to say Lionel). Plus, the bows are great in this game.

The archers suffer from the same inability to counter at 1 range as in other FE games (and I notice myself fighting with Plum Lances more than any other weapon on my best units), but at least Holmes gets swords upon promotion. I think he could move up, too.

http://sites.google.com/site/trstrans/

This project's waiting on getting a better volunteer to verify and edit the translations.

You can probably use it as a walk-through text-wise to understand what's going on. You can also use this site and other fan resources. FireLizard might have put up a FAQ at GameFAQs. It might also help.

Most people who play games as a hobby tend to stop reading text after they first begin, and start choosing options and navigating menus from memory. TearRing Saga is pretty easy in this regard--you can easily fiddle around for a few minutes even if you know absolutely nothing about the game, but your experience with Fire Emblem and other

RPG/SRPGs will help you out. Referencing outside sources can clear up things exploration can't, like skill descriptions and mission goals.

I would like to play this game but I'm not aware of any released translation patches.

I've played some or all of every Fire Emblem game with the exception of FE1 and FE2, but including TearRing Saga and Berwick Saga (very little of TRS, though), with no translation patches, and never having any background knowledge of how to read a single word of Japanese until the past couple of weeks. I basically had zero issues from doing so until I started playing Berwick Saga, because of the lack of English information about its mechanics, and had to pretty much feel my way around the mechanics until I started using online translators to get information from Japanese sites. Even then, playing Berwick effectively blind wasn't that difficult; it's really been more of a whole new level of things to explore in playing the game. Translation patches aren't anything close to a necessity.

Personally, I've never seen any reason to use translation patches even if I played the games on emulator; I haven't seen a translation patch I'd consider usable other than the FE6 one, and FE6 is only good if played while ignoring its story and as a handheld game anyway. Every existing FE4 and FE5 patch, in particular, is a patchwork abomination; I could never take a game seriously if it had weapon names listed as "Silver" or "Lightnin". Far easier on my mind to see the Japanese text and know what it actually means from background reading.

Edited by Othin

Nice to see a discussion on this game.

I think Rennie could go up, seeing how she levels up really fast and is 10% likely to receive a movement boost each level (which is twice as likely compared to say Lionel). Plus, the bows are great in this game.

The archers suffer from the same inability to counter at 1 range as in other FE games (and I notice myself fighting with Plum Lances more than any other weapon on my best units), but at least Holmes gets swords upon promotion. I think he could move up, too.

I don't think Rennie can move up because she doesn't have many opportunities to level, and doesn't have great bases. One thing that stands out is her base 4 Move, which really hurts her versatility despite her 10% Move growth. On average, she'd have 6 Move at level 15 promoted, which is the same as most other units, and only gets more Movement around Endgame. Even then, it isn't a huge advantage since she doesn't have enemy phase, and can't charge forward as often.

She does have Charge, meaning she can pick off slower enemies easily, but it still can't hurt armored enemies much as she's locked to Bows. It's a big disadvantage since she can't pick off the more problematic enemies, and picking off normal mooks isn't special.

Holmes' swords upon promotion isn't that big of a deal, since most of Holmes' maps after that point are warpskippable, and his combat with swords doesn't come into play often.

• 6 months later...

Bumping this since the OP is a good resource and since my question is addressed best in a general discussion thread for this game.

Has anybody ever experienced any problems when playing the game? My game froze in the chapter where you recruit Narsus for the first time. It happened when Thomas attacked something on player phase (I had animations on). I'm really hesitant to bring him to any combat now.

I used Thomas with animations on and never experienced any freezing, even on emulator. I usually had them off, but I know I had him attack a few times with animations on, as well, although I'm not certain I ever did in that chapter.

Edited by Othin

Garo's problem is that he has a movement stat of 4 when the other melee fighters (Barth, swordfighters) have one point more. He also lacks a promotion, meaning no bonuses and being stuck with 4 mov when your other foot units will have 6. The skills he learns after lv. 28 are pretty damn good, but how will we get him to that level?

Garo's problem is that he has a movement stat of 4 when the other melee fighters (Barth, swordfighters) have one point more. He also lacks a promotion, meaning no bonuses and being stuck with 4 mov when your other foot units will have 6. The skills he learns after lv. 28 are pretty damn good, but how will we get him to that level?

Doesn't TearRing Saga have infinite monster encounters like Gaiden?

From I've seen on the site, it looks like pirates can't promote in Berwick saga either.

Pretty much.

Also, during a random encounter, my game froze when Mahtel attacked one of the bandits. Not sure what the cause for this could be, but now I know it has nothing to do with Thomas. Might always be a good idea to turn animations off.

And I just had to go a few save states back on my recent run because I somehow missed saving Samson and Alicia... 0_O I had no idea the maps were skippable in this game. These two are obviously too good to miss.

Pretty much.

Also, during a random encounter, my game froze when Mahtel attacked one of the bandits. Not sure what the cause for this could be, but now I know it has nothing to do with Thomas. Might always be a good idea to turn animations off.

And I just had to go a few save states back on my recent run because I somehow missed saving Samson and Alicia... 0_O I had no idea the maps were skippable in this game. These two are obviously too good to miss.

Map 11 seems to be the only one like that. Are you sure it ever becomes unavailable, though? I was able to go back for it after Map 12, but I didn't try from later than that.

Map 11 is to the north of the map, right? I'll try if I can go there after the Attrom mission.

No; it's in the southeast. You just have to keep going around until you reach the same location as Map 2, then some bandits should appear out of nowhere and trigger an Encounter, then you should be able to access the map.

As I said, you can definitely go there after Attrom's map; I'm just now sure about later.

Elite as a starting skill is way too good to be true. I've been capturing YouTube videos of my very first playthrough (which I am far from satisfied with, of course) of this game, but I have videos from a separate, far speedier playthrough in the pipeline that are soon to come wherein I quickly discover how overpowered Narron is - ROFL, lv. 20/0 by map 7 without any overdone favoritism (besides the fact that he has probably the best unpromoted class in the game parameter-wise across the board). I think this is one gold knight, with his innate Continue and Great Shield, who's actually going to show even the mighty Ernst a thing or two.

Seriously - I think anyone who gives Narron a chance is going to be giving MOST ANY OTHER UNPROMOTED CHARACTER in any other SRPG like this one a comparatively lukewarm reception afterwards. Franz, Alan, Lance, etc. - this cavalier blows them away like they were nothing. Within the same game, it's even worse. People like Arkis and Kreiss don't have a prayer of competing because they're so weak and awful, and have trouble keeping up with killing all the negative attack speed enemies before long.

Gamebreaker characters:

Narron

Damned good characters:

Zeek

Raffin

Mahter

Lionel

Vega

Holmes

Samson

Loffaru

Shigen

Roger

Xeno

Plum

Katri

Mintz

Renee

Characters about whom I have mixed feelings:

Barts

Alicia

Lee

Mel

Lyria

Julia

Meriah

Sierra

Yoda

Zachariah

Lionheart

Frau - notably underlevelled, and her promotion item ain't exactly commonplace.

Raquel

Sun

Mediocre characters:

Estelle

Billford

Sharon

Maruju

Norton

Enteh

Attrom

Shiro

Runan

Kate

Rennie

Bad characters:

Sasha .

Juni

Rebecca

Narcissus

Kreiss

Arkis

Thomas

Terrible characters:

Garo

Krisheenu

Maerhen

Rina

Not fully comprehensive as I'd like, but that's what I'm thinking so far. Isn't that over 90% of the playables?

Edited by FabledTome

Xeno and Attrom aren't very different. They come at nearly the same time, both underlevelled, and need zombie kills to catch up to the rest of the party. Attrom is more durable, since he learns Sol, which makes him tankier (too bad he hasn't got a Shram like Vega). They should be in the same tier, with Xeno a little above Attrom due to availability.

Sun is pretty much Narron lite, with similar level-up speed and promotion gains, but later join time (depending on which route you recruit Narron) and poorer enemy phase. I kinda like Charge for breaking tough enemies' shields, though. She does learn Luna eventually, which helps her offence.

Garo is definitely far from terrible. Sure, he has movement and hit rate issues, but there are maps where his Fighter skill gives him the same mobility as the better foot units, and he can double some weighed down enemies with axes, probably one-rounding where others cannot (like your numerous sword users who travel with Holmes on the first split and who have trouble with axe fighters and their bulk). Good strength and agility and decent growths in said stats make him at least somewhat proficient long-term.

And putting Maruju into the mediocre tier should be a criminal offence. He has his own Wundergust tome (sure, it's no Sunflame but it's still a very good tome), his very early availability means he just might be your first promoted mage, and there's always Sylpheed and access to four sets of magic after promotion (plus better movement).

Also, I've been wondering this about Blazing Wind's description:

When activated the user KOs the enemy (enemy must have low HP and range of attack must be 1)

Is this skill pretty much Lethality with a different name or what? I also don't get the "low HP" part because I'm pretty sure I've OHKO'd stuff like full health Knights with it before.

Xeno's slightly earlier availability just so happens to give him a lot of zombies to kill and not be underleveled. I haven't used Attrom at all to know how he might compare, but this seems to put Xeno a good bit ahead for a while.

Edited by Othin

They both have similar base stats and growths, but Xeno learns 4 skills (Sea Fighter, Blazing Wind, Anti-Evil, and Dragon Saint), while Attrom only learns 2 skills (Heaven Saint, and Blazing Wind).

Here's their bases stats and their growths.

Base Stats:

Unit	Level	HP	Str	Mag	Skill	Agl	Lck	Def	Wlv	Move
Xeno	1	24	6	0	7	9	4	4	6	5
Attrom	3	24	6	0	7	9	5	4	6	5

Growth Rates:

Unit	HP	Str	Mag	Skl	Agl	Luk	Wlv	Def	Mov
Xeno	65%	35%	5%	50%	40%	30%	30%	22%	0%
Attrom	70%	40%	5%	50%	45%	20%	30%	20%	0%

They're essentially the same character, except Xeno wins in availability, has extended movement in a few maps and is better at fighting monsters later on (has anybody figured out the exact boost Anti-Evil gives?). However, Attrom has that 15% Renee support, which is better than what Xeno gets.