Graphic Documentation Compilation

Crimson Red

This topic is for graphics that don't have an editor made for them, i.e. you use GBAGE to edit them. For example, menus or backgrounds, but not portraits, battle animations, or spell animations.

If TSA is applicable please include offsets for TSA. If there are multiple palettes please include info on all of them (esp. the offsets). And of course, include the graphic offset, and if possible include the GBAGE graphic # that correlates to your image.

NOTE: GBAGE graphic #'s may differ by a few depending on the individual user. Please search + or - 3 images of the given number if you cannot find it directly.

--------------------------

Below are some notes about the TSA for the um... portrait boxes, I think. Jubby can elaborate in a reply with more info on what it is and its other offsets, hopefully. The main point is that the TSA is at offset 1D57B8 but may not be as useful as ya'll hope. XP

So uh, I found the TSA, but... you're not going to like the result, I don't think. >_>

Took some research, found a lot of interesting stuff, but what matters is that the TSA is at offset 1D57B8. The TSA is shared between all the images. I used graphics offset 1D5844 and palette offset 1D60F0... kind of.

So first of all the TSA is right before the graphics. Second of all, it's not going to show what you want to see--a nicely formed box or whatever. It'll just show slightly better arranged boxes. I don't even know how these form into their ultimate result so I can't help you there, all I can tell you is that ASM has a lot to do with it because there are pointer tables everywhere filled with pointers to ASM.

Anyway... there are two "adjustments" that need to be made for the image to look "okay" in GBAGE. First of all, the TSA should have 4 bytes ignored (or you could load it at 1D57C0 but to be fair the TSA starts at 1D57B8 which was confirmed by a pointer test; 5 pointers to that offset resulted and I know there are 4 different types of menus, don't know what the 5th one is about but that's beside the point).

Second, the TSA for whatever reason loads the palette off the 2nd index. Think of this as loading the palette that's 0x20 bytes AFTER the palette you choose. So choosing 1D60F0 really loads 1D6110... yeah. So to get it to load the palette at 1D60F0 (which is what you want) you have to do 1D60D0. I don't know why it does this but I am guessing there is SOME reason given that it ultimately works in-game, so I wouldn't go changing the palette from "1" to "0" unless you're just playing around. So yeah, it uses palette index 1, which is not the real palette used in-game, so you have to adjust the palette offset by -0x20 to account for that.

...And, that's all I got. Good luck with the rest. I am going to make a topic for Graphic & TSA notes so that maybe people start to share said info. Since I figure it might be useful knowledge to at least one person. Then maybe we can make a collection of graphic offsets with the accompanying palette and TSA offsets (and any other notes) so people have an easier time editing stuff. Yeah... good idea. *gets ready to copy/paste*

Edited by Strawhat Luffy

There should be something of use in here, or maybe not. (Speaking of which I need to update that doc it's so old)

Also, I had an old tilemap dump for a battle template that matched perfectly to a... I think it was a 31-tile template. Assuming wingrit always outputs the tiles in the same pattern, that could probably help a lot (and the screwups could be fixed manually).

EDIT:

Yep, here it is. 27 tiles, from this to this, to the formatted version. It won't work for everything, depending on where the tiles are, but judging from what wingrit puts out, it should be better than using the defaults. Copy/paste this into 0x1D8C34 and then go into GBAGE to make sure that they're aligned right.

Edited by Camtech

Alriiight, let's see here. Cam's notes on this ARE very useful btw.

Anyway, this is from an old topic where me and Astra tried to figure everything out concerning statsheet stuff (Huuuge pain in the ass due to shared palettes and whatnot) Basically, here are the offsets and my notes from back then:

Blue Stat- Graphics 1D5844 Red Stat- Graphics: 1D6130 Green Stat- Graphics: 1D72E4 Grey Stat- Graphics: 1D6A24

Blue Stat- Palette: 1D60F0 Red Stat- Palette: 1D69E4 Green Stat- Palette: 1D5844 Grey Stat- Palette: 1D7B20

These graphics contain the statsheet and the left side of the portrait box; the portrait space itself uses the main tile from the statsheet. (All from AstraLunaSol)

The palettes here control the right, top and bottom sides of the portrait box, the statsheet, the use item box and the display that pops up once you select a character. They also affect the box that surrounds the chapter objective, terrain box, and possibly the unit bubble.

General Palette: 3FCBAC (Also from Astra)

This one controls the portrait box's left side, the portrait space, the part at the bottom of the inventory where it lists equipment stats and such, and the equipped item line.

Portrait box Graphics: 3FCBEC (from me)

This is the right, top, and three corners of the portrait box; it uses the statsheet palette.

Unknown Palette: 406DB0 (Astra)

Apparently the same palette as the "General Palette;" not sure what it's for though.

Terrain box: 1C4460

This is controlled by the statsheet palette as well.

I gave credit to whoever actually found it so cool. ALSO! There's a TSA for the bottom of the portrait box somewhere. I'd found it at one point but my notes have since been lost, so I'll edit it into this post when I find it.

Portrait box notes:

I don't know if you can tell from up there ^^^, but the portrait box is reeeeeeally fucked. It uses graphics from the "statsheet graphic" with all the boxes and whatnot, but also uses some from it's own graphics at 0x3FCBEC. However, palettes are split up, so:

Let's say we're using the blue graphic here: 0x1D5844 (the first menu option colour scheme thing)

The left side of the portrait box is from that graphic, the one at 0x1D5844. However, that part uses the general palette here: 0x3FCBAC Rather than the one at 0x1D60F0.

The right side of the portrait box has its own graphic at 0x3FCBEC. IT uses the palette at 0x1D60F0, though.

The bottom is from 0x1D5844, but uses the 0x3FCBEC palette. WTF the creators were thinking, I have nooooooo clue.

Also, it should be noted that the palettes Astra gave also affect the terrain window, the chapter goal one, general menus (like, um, when you go to use an item or trade stuff), some of which are also in the graphics offsets he gave as well.

In short, statsheets suck. If I can get one working at some point, I'll post a tutorial.

Kaaay, got more

Level up screen offsets courtesy of shadowofchaos:

Graphics: 0x1DAFEC

Palette: 0x1DB334

TSA: 0x1DB238

All are compressed

Also from shadowofchaos, battle frame stuff:

Image starts at 0x1D88B4. Palette starts at 0x1D8FA0. TSA is at 0x1D8C34.

(Name Frames have a width of 6, Weapon Name frames have a width of 7)

Enemy Name Frame: 1D8ABC

Enemy Weapon Name Frame: 1D8B0C

Player Name Frame: 1D8B78

Player Weapon Name Frame: 1D8BC8

Read our tutorials for more info :P

K, I'm just gonna slowly edit this post till it's a full page. These are misc ones from Astra:

*just for my own info, terrain box shit is in the map windows, this is unused idek why it's here

Terrain box Graphics

1C4460

Map Windows

403BC4

Prep screen unit selection

406D50

From me:

Equipment checkered thing at bottom of items statsheet box:

3FCC90

Think it uses the same palette as portrait box thing. ( 0x3FCBAC )

the "Combat Info Window," that thing before you fight with all the percentages and crap, is at 1958BC, with the palette being here: 195BAC, and the TSA here: 195BEC

Edited by Jubby

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello, sorry to double post. Uhhh, I learned there's yet another palette (and probably graphic) linked to this mother fucker of a statsheet. If I EVER manage to fully replace one, I'll post a tutorial, but if not I have a pretty good working knowledge of them, so anyone who'd like to replace one can PM me and I'll try to teach you or you can make a sprite of some kind for me and I'll do it for you

• 4 months later...

Level up screen offsets courtesy of shadowofchaos:

Graphics: 0x1DAFEC

Palette: 0x1DB334

TSA: 0x1DB238

All are compressed

Picture of that here.

Since the TSA is compressed, like all the others, you're better off repointing it elsewhere. That's why Nintenlord turned off modifying Compressed TSA in the new GBAGE (I'd use the Old GBAGE in a "throw-away" copy of the ROM, copy and paste that elsewhere in the actual ROM you're using, and then repoint it there).

Anybody know where the fuck the MISS graphics are? Can't seem to find them in a clean ROM and mine glitched out somehow :/ (I think when I replaced the EXP graphics but idk)

All I know is that they share the same palette as the "lines" behind the "Hit", "Dmg", and "Crt" stats. Maybe looking at pointers next to that palette's pointers will get you somewhere near it.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Is this for FE7? I never bothered messing around with the graphics, but I remember there's a "No damage" and "Miss" graphic at 0x1D9FDC. I'm not sure if that's the one you want though : o

Weird, I thought I did repoint :/ I'll try again, and I'll check out Rey's and Vincent's areas for the graphics. Thanks, guys :)

Edit: Yes, FE7 it is, indeed.

Edit again: I found what is most likely it (Right around where Rey and Vincent said) as a messed up bunch of uncompressed pixels, so I'll try just reinserting and repointing :P Thanks again, everybody.

3rd edit: Well I did that and now the miss is just gone, lol. I kinda like it better though so I'll be leaving it :D (Happy screwup I guess?)

Edited by eJubs