Rate the Unit, Day 10: Colm

Dat Rules

- Ratings are assumed to be on Difficult Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted (unless they fall into the general parameters of the average rating, but reasoning is still strongly encouraged on those even if you just wanna quote people) — incredibly low scores or high scores without proper justification will not be counted. Don't put in some random text thinking it'd count as justification. Put in at least a little thought and give REAL reasoning.

- Numbers for votes, please - not something like "Marcus/10", etc. Proper justification will be determined by me and whoever decides to help, whether it be Integrity and Integrity again or sometegrity else.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is okay, but no more.

- Votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Makes it easy to calculate, please and thank you~!

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- Ratings for characters should always assume the gameplay route they're best on. If I see "1/10 doesn't exist on ephraim" for Innes your vote won't be counted. If I don't like you enough, I'll throw it out if that reasoning is anywhere there.

Average Ratings

Neimi: 2.24

Gilliam: 3.27

Ross: 4.33

Garcia: 6.88

Moulder: 6.89

Eirika: 7.34

Vanessa: 8.16

Franz: 9.32

Seth: 9.91

fuck you all

Decent combat. Thief utility (FoW vision, treasure access, lockpick)

Promotion options aren't bad, but they aren't good either...in fact yea, they aren't really meant for combat.

Still, one of 2 thieves, and rogues have sweet battle animations.

He's actually pretty okay, it's just kind of a shame Thief utility is not all that spectacular in FE8. At least he's got not-entirely-worthless combat to fall back on, if he ever gets fielded.

6/10

His most important use is two of the three C8 chests (since C3's stuff really isn't worth getting I'd rather just save that chest key on one of C8's stuff) and Eph route C9's stuff. After that point, chest keys become buyable and it's honestly easier to use your mounts since they'll canto off chests, but Colm can still steal boosters and gems and shit, so his thief utility isn't entirely void. His combat parameters are a bit better than most early thieves in the past, but still nothing spectacular. It's at best passable. 5/10.

7/10 despite being a thief I love putting him on the front line and laugh at soldiers fail while he owns them. Also he avoids almost ANYTHING and can put a lot of damage though my first play-through just because of how strong he was I actually thought thief class was meant for combat.

His fastest support option helps his damage output, because his growths in that area are iffy. His affinity doesn't help him dodge, but it's not like that's a huge issue, as he gets an abundance of avoid. Something with thiefly vision is also vital to a fast clear of C19.

7/10

fuck you all

:):

Anyway, Colm

I don't really like him as a character, so -1 for that already

That being said, he nabs you an energy ring in chapter 7, and is needed for a couple of the chapter 8 chests as well. For some reason, my Colm is always slower that the Chapter 8 thief, so that's annoying

Anyway, his combat sucks, he's like Eirika who joins a few chapters later without the rapier and isn't forced in every chapter.

5/10

Free picking ability after promotion and an in general good rogue. Even though he might not be the highest hitter (or even a hitter at all), he makes up for that in pure usefulness, and is much better than Rennac (even though I've never had a really bad Rennac).

7/10

Edited by Aran613

He can make FoW chapters so much less annoying. And he doesn't suck totally at combat. His durability is shit though. And he can steal stuff, yay? Oh and he has two good support options, Kyle who won't be close to the same MOV unless you promote him to GK, and Moulder. Competition for promotion item is either Ross or no-one. Obviously since I'm me he gets promoted late because that Ocean Seal is Ross' forever, but I'm not dumb enough to say that Colm doesn't have a good shot at getting it.

5.25/10

Edited by Knuckles

He's not bad by any means. He of course has Thief utility. He steals the C7 Energy Ring and nets you the C8 Angelic Robe. He also has only Ross (sometimes, not even all of the time) for Promotion Item competition. Better yet, in both routes, Colm is the one getting that promotion item.

Of course, he's swordlocked and is a thief. So yeah. Combat kinda sucks. But he's not terrible.

5.5/10 for Thief Utility, +.5 because he deals with Neimi.

So 6/10 for me.

I'm going to go with a 5/10 because Horace's post, but

He also has only Ross (sometimes, not even all of the time) for Promotion Item competition. Better yet, in both routes, Colm is the one getting that promotion item.

This seems contradictory, mostly the latter part. Do you mean Colm is using the promotion item (read: ross doesn't exist) or do you mean he actually acquires it in both routes? Because you negated one of those by mentioning Ross at all and the other is ...rather false.

Edited by Integrity

6.5/10. He IS a thief, after all, and for what it's worth (albeit not very much), he has a pretty fast support that boosts his offense (even if said unit might not be all that great).

Edited by Metal King Slime

Colm's a thief, but I think he's actually a pretty good one. First and foremost, his thieving utility. Colm comes in chapter 3. Rennac, the only other thief, comes in chapter 14. Eleven chapters of pilfering goods all to himself. That's a big point in Colm's favor. Second, Colm's combat actually isn't too bad. Yes, thieves shouldn't fight, but Colm has decent growths (even though his base strength isn't all that good) and actually can promote at a decent time. He also has the fastest support in the game, with Neimi, for what it's worth. (Probably not much, since most people aren't going to use Neimi outside a draft or unless they just like her.)

7/10, because I think the stuff that he can grab from the chests for 11 chapter is pretty important, also his combat isn't nearly as fail as most GBA thieves'

Colm is this guy who steals junk.

Pros:

Thief utility.

Passable combat.

Is around for nearly forever.

Isnt as squishy as a lot of thieves.

Hilarious supports.

Free picking upon going Rogue.

Cons:

Battles Ross (and your wallet) for that Ocean Seal.

His fastest support is with a unit you probably wont use.

Strength is iffy.

I like Colm. I use him 99% of the time and i find him much better than Rennac. Colm actually dodges stuff. I give the Colminator a 7/10. Biased rating 8/10 cuz like i never have him suck the butt on my runs.

Colm is competing for a promotion item with Pirate!Ross but not Fighter!Ross.

He is your first thief, and so is responsible for a good deal of treasure, and is almost capable of having good combat skills. Insert obligatory "FE8 enemies are jokes" mention here.

7.5/10

most of the time using thief isn't the most efficient way of the getting the loot

witide

I'm going to go with a 5/10 because Horace's post, but

This seems contradictory, mostly the latter part. Do you mean Colm is using the promotion item (read: ross doesn't exist) or do you mean he actually acquires it in both routes? Because you negated one of those by mentioning Ross at all and the other is ...rather false.

He's the one who will be acquiring the item in both routes. He's probably a better choice to use the item but he is the best choice to get it in both routes as well (IIRC he has to in Eirika's route).

7.5/10 dodgeing those gorgons with percise speed and skill makes my day but in th end he isn't the best assaissn and his happy go lucky personality isn't my favourite thing in the world. but netherless if he has a chance at dodging gorgons and the demon king he gets top marks in my book

He's the one who will be acquiring the item in both routes. He's probably a better choice to use the item but he is the best choice to get it in both routes as well (IIRC he has to in Eirika's route).

Doesn't the pirate just drop the damn thing? If so any one who can kill a pirate can get it.

Doesn't the pirate just drop the damn thing? If so any one who can kill a pirate can get it.

I can guarantee it's a drop in Eirika's route.