[FE4] Rate the Unit VIII

Caliban of Sycorax

Rules (Borrowed from whomever made them first with modifications)

- Ratings to be assumed from when a unit is first available.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted (unless they fall into the general parameters of the average rating, but reasoning is still strongly encouraged on those even if you just wanna quote people) — incredibly low scores or high scores without proper justification will not be counted. Don't put in some random text thinking it'd count as justification. Put in at least a little thought and give REAL reasoning.

- Numbers for votes, please - not something like "Sigurd/10", etc.

- Personality / Appearance may be taken into account, but only +/- 1 point at the most.

- Votes out of 10, or something proportional to it, please!

- Make votes easily visible, please and thank you!

- Every ranking phase will end on the next day at approximately 10:00 PM (or 22:00), EST.

Units and Ranking

Sigurd: 9.96

Noish: 6.15

Alec: 6.17

Ardan: 1.39

Lex: 8.83

Azel: 4.63

Cuan: 8.41

DAY 8: ETHLIN

___

SHE'S CUAN'S WIFE 10/10

No, in all seriousness, Ethlin is amazing. She's your first healer until Aideen, and she's pretty good at it. Why?

SHE HAS A HORSE

Also, she's married to Cuan. She also has Critical. And the broken Slim Sword.

She also gets the Return Staff which is very good for sending people to the main castle to promote, sending Levin to Evans to recruit Fury, and a whole bunch of other goodies. Once she promotes she becomes a Paladin and can use Warp. Of course, promoting her is the problem. She has the same availability as Cuan.

But she has WTA in her join chapter, unlike Cuan, and she also has an extremely amazing dodge ability.

So in short. Mounted healer + Amazing dodge + Return Staff + Sibling crits with Sigurd + Slim Sword + 1 for bias = 9.5/10

SHE'S ETHLIN YAY ETHLIN 10/10

Seriously, though, she lets Sigurd get Sibling crits before he has his CRIT SWORD, she heals and Cantos around (a personal fetish of mine), she Returns (for free xp!), she lets Cuan get Lover crits, she's a competent (not actually good) fighter ...

EDIT: and she gives birth to motherfucking LEAF

She's worth at LEAST a 9/10 in my books and OH HEY WHAT'S THIS POWER OF BIAS I HOLD

10/10

Incidentally, promoted Ethlin still has C Staves, so no Warp for you mang.

Edited by Integrity

There's a reason Aideen and Claude don't get levels until chapter 4, and Ethlin is why. She's healing on a horse in a game where having a horse is just too important and in a series where healers are extremely useful. She can attack too, even if not very well. The only thing that would (and should) keep her from a perfect score is leaving. As with Cuan, this is too significant to ignore.

8.0 -> 9.0, because I have a bias.

Also, seriously, is everyone going to give Ethlin bias points?

It's not just Ethlin, Integrity. Every Lenster gets positive bias points. And all is right with the world.

9.5/10 for Ethlin. Her combat is a little shaky until she promotes, but Critical and A Swords can carry her through Arena with a little coaxing, and Light Sword for ranged magic damage gives her enough oomph on the field to defend herself adequately. You'll tend to want to spend most of her time staffing though, because even with a limit to C staves, there's a lot of good she can accomplish there, shaving turns with Return in Chapters 2&3, and healing up your units during the frequent periods of low enemy density. Sibling/Lover crit aren't exactly reliable, but they're fun when you can pull them off.

And of course, as everyone already mentioned: horse.

Who cares that she only has 4 chapters of availability

she's a healer ON A HORSE

Her combat is shaky before promo but who cares she heals it's already awesome that she even has combat as a healer in Tier 1 which means getting her own staff money in the arena yesz

9.5/10 half a point off for not existing for ALL of gen1 but that's all I'm willing to take off from her

Edited by Luminescent Blade

I'm going with 8/10

IMO she can be hard to train for first time people. However, because she can heal, you should be able to get her to lv 30 within time. Her combat before class change is sub par too. Finally she leaves early which can POSSIBLY hurt the player if not careful.

Theoretically, Ethlin is perfect. Healer on a horse, etc. I'll even be super generous and count her combat as a bonus, not a liability.

BUT.

-1 for leaving 2/3 of the way through Gen 1 and withholding a Legendary Weapon for 99% of the time.

-1 for C staves, even when promoted. She can't do anything that a church or a crappy ring nobody wants except to sell for cash can't do.

-0.5 for being bound to Quinn, preventing awesome stuff like Lex X Ethlin (Hello Elite Leaf)

-1 for bringing a baby with a squadron of cavalry into the desert, bringing the amount of Gaebolg time lost to 5.9 chapters and making Altenna a PITA to recruit.

-1 (Bias) FOR BRINGING A GODDAMN BABY INTO THE DESERT

I do not like Ethlin storyline wise.

5.5/10, or if the second last point should be counted as part of my bias, 6.5/10

9/10 for all the previous reasons mentioned, but I like to give her the Pursuit Ring, mainly for Leaf purposes, but it also makes her a decent fighter so she can build up at least some kills on her light sabre for Leaf.

She's sort of a pain to train if you're not Staff abusing, but with that A in swords, and because she's Ethlin, I like to lend her brother's Silver Sword to her in the arena to clear things up rather easily.

-1 taken off for availability and -.5 for being squishy essentially without beastly favouring, but +.5 because SHE'S ETHLIN!

EDIT: And I once wrote a big wall of text to why Ethlin is amazing, so for the sake of consistancy, I'll just stick by it and say she's amazing.

Edited by Maji

Whilst not being stellar at healing or fighting, she does provide much appreciated healing in the prologue, plus axes can't touch her! She nets some nice kit and spawns Rescue!Leaf. She's friendly too!

8.5/10!

She's a pretty awesome mounted healer and that is very nice in situations where Sigurd and Cuan are racing way the fuck ahead and Aideen can't do jack-all to heal them even if she wanted to and could. She leaves though, and that sucks, but still, mounted healer.

+1 point for bias and being Sigurd's sister, -1 point for the aforementioned reason that she's a fucking idiot. What the hell was your thought process there, Ethlin? "We'll just bring Altenna along with us so she can say hi to Uncle Sigurd right after we finish murdering several powerful dukes and hopefully none of this comes back to bite us in the ass since Sigurd has been branded a traitor and our troops invading Grandbell would technically be an act of war." How do you even come up with this shit? Clearly the reason Fin was left changing Leaf's diapers has nothing to do with trust and everything to do with him rightly pointing out how stupid this plan is and given a bitch job to make up for it. Well who's laughing now, Ethlin, you're dead in a fucking desert and Fin survives long enough to get too old for this shit. 9/10.

Edited by Renall

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted

Theoretically, Ethlin is perfect. Healer on a horse, etc. I'll even be super generous and count her combat as a bonus, not a liability.

BUT.

-1 for leaving 2/3 of the way through Gen 1 and withholding a Legendary Weapon for 99% of the time.

-1 for C staves, even when promoted. She can't do anything that a church or a crappy ring nobody wants except to sell for cash can't do.

-0.5 for being bound to Quinn, preventing awesome stuff like Lex X Ethlin (Hello Elite Leaf)

-1 for bringing a baby with a squadron of cavalry into the desert, bringing the amount of Gaebolg time lost to 5.9 chapters and making Altenna a PITA to recruit.

-1 (Bias) FOR BRINGING A GODDAMN BABY INTO THE DESERT

I do not like Ethlin storyline wise.

5.5/10, or if the second last point should be counted as part of my bias, 6.5/10

I would hope that your second last point counts as your bias because it has nothing to do with gameplay performance, hence 6.5. Up to Octavian whether to count your point about her coming pre-bound.

I would hope that your second last point counts as your bias because it has nothing to do with gameplay performance, hence 6.5. Up to Octavian whether to count your point about her coming pre-bound.

Narga's right. That sounds a lot like 2 points of bias. Make it 6.5/10 or justify why Ethlin gets 5.5 or it's not counting.

Sounds like three points of bias to me. Two points for the desert, half a point for having a fixed pairing and half a point for the Gae Bolg?

Not my call, but just putting that out there.

Edited by Othin

Sounds like three points of bias to me. Two points for the desert, half a point for having a fixed pairing and half a point for the Gae Bolg?

Oh. I forgot the Gae Bolg part. You are probably right. I mentioned the fixed pairing part, so at least I noticed that part.

It sounds to me like people are taking this ONLY ONE POINT BIAS stuff a little too seriously.

He used three fucking points of bias. That is pretty serious when it can affect a score.

Edited by Octavian