Do you hate Smogon?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Othin

Othin

Trapped in Biden's time machine

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Awakening

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:17 PM

It's a fantastic resource, but they've gotten way too ban-happy lately. I couldn't stick around and remain sane after they banned Excadrill and Thundurus.

#22 Stark

Stark

Some Random Person

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:New Mystery of the Emblem

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:19 PM

Action Replay is definitely not banned on Smogon, in fact, there are people on Smogon who put in their sigs alongside friend codes "May use legal hacks." If you're trying to trade off those hacks as legitimate Pokemon to other people, you will get in trouble, but the site has nothing against Pokemon hacked for battle purposes.

Edit: And at the above, yeah, I stopped following the metagame heavily after they banned Exca and Thundurus, which I felt was way excessive.

Edited by Stark, 04 March 2012 - 05:21 PM.

#23 Orange Crush

Orange Crush

A Hero of the Great Purge

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Blazing Sword

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:47 PM

Proof that Smogon forums suck: I just got banned for a month for posting this thread in the off-topic forum:

http://www.smogon.co...d.php?t=3463140

Edited by OrangeCrush, 04 March 2012 - 05:48 PM.

#24 Mekkah

Mekkah

screw playing, i want to argue about it on the internet

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:N/A

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:51 PM

You have four pages of warning history built up. Of course people aren't gonna be lenient with you.

#25 Soran Ibrahim

Soran Ibrahim

CHUCKLES

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:53 PM

You have four pages of warning history built up. Of course people aren't gonna be lenient with you.

Four pages? He should be grateful that you guys have bent over backwards and given him so many second chances xp

#26 Aere

Aere

Bloodless

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Sacred Stones

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:02 PM

I never understood how so many people hate Smogon. It has a variety of resources, strategies, etc. and I know I'm not the only one who refers to it often.

People dislike it because they're against the "standard" Smogon sets, tiering and such. I could compare the hate to Smogon to the hate for tiers and efficiency and low-turns some people have with this site's tiering.

#27 Othin

Othin

Trapped in Biden's time machine

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:08 PM

I never understood how so many people hate Smogon. It has a variety of resources, strategies, etc. and I know I'm not the only one who refers to it often.

People dislike it because they're against the "standard" Smogon sets, tiering and such. I could compare the hate to Smogon to the hate for tiers and efficiency and low-turns some people have with this site's tiering.

Or maybe they hate the non-resource parts for more rational reasons, as I explained above.

Spoiler ()

#28 Aere

Aere

Bloodless

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Sacred Stones

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:16 PM

Or maybe they hate the non-resource parts for more rational reasons, as I explained above.

Spoiler ()

People have been hating Smogon far longer than 5th gen. Hell, I don't even play 5th gen, I'm speaking from a 4th gen perspective.

I'm sure people hate LTC for what it is, but LTC is seen with an attitude here as the "standard" or "best way" to play. Likewise, Smogon's rules are seen as the standard, and many disagree with that.

#29 Ranger Jack Walker

Ranger Jack Walker

Not a Power Ranger

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Shadow Dragon

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:03 AM

I can never hate Smogon. Organizing those tiers is not easy and they better than anyone else I've seen. Whenever they ban something, people rage but in the long run, it turns out they were right all along.

#30 Duff Ostrich

Duff Ostrich

The Great Gonzales

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Sword of Seals

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:49 PM

The people who hate smogon are the people are the same people who disparage Fire Emblem debating. It's a metagame, and though its not for everyone that doesn't make it any less valuable for those who are involved in it. For my part, I have a passing interest in ingame pokemon tier lists (mostly rby and gsc) and that's about it. But I understand what the competitive battlers are trying to do and I respect it.

In fact I'm pretty sure there's a lot of overlap in the Fire Emblem and Pokemon community, as this thread is demonstrating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users