Rate the Unit, Day 2: Marcus

Dat Rules

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody has already given good reason for a score +/- half a point from yours, you can decide not to explain your score, but I always encourage personal reasoning. Incredibly low scores or high scores without proper justification will not be counted. Don't put in some random text thinking it'd count as justification. Put in at least a little thought and give REAL reasoning.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- Ratings for characters should always assume the gameplay route YOU judge them best on. If I see "doesn't exist in sacae" ANYWHERE in your rating for Juno I will be very cross and will probably throw out your vote out of spite.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

AVERAGES

Roy: 3.54

certain people i like have the privilege of voting marcus/10 with no other justification; if you do that, it will count as a 10.5

but if you're not one of those people it won't count as anything

ooooooooh tread carefully :]

Edited by Integrity

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marcus

Well, he's the Jeigan of the game; who is okay until he kind of rusts due to his base stats starting to bite him around midgame (Etrurian chapters comes to mind), but still he's a great asset if you like smashing things early on; and to deal with stuff that aren't easy to kill.

Plus, he doesn't die silly to a Horseslayer at the early chapters; now that's manly!

The good thing is; he's still a useful asset in a truckload of chapters and those okay to good weapon ranks is gonna help him! (Javelin spamming and Hand Axes tossing anyone?)

9.5/10, he really deserves this rating considering it's HM, and you already know how HELL is FE6 in Hard Mode! Also, I used my pony bias powers again!

Edited by Frostbite

Marcus/10

Hrrrng neither Raven nor Rein is on this is upping my postcounts aaaah

ALRIGHT MARCUS

JUST FOR YOU

and Rutger and Dieck and Miledy and Echidna and Percy and Niime because I love them

Right. Marcus isn't as gamebreaking as his younger self, but he's still a very valuable unit. His growths are practically nonexistent, but even with that he could make himself not only useful, but one of the downright best units from 1-13. That takes proness and manliness. As FE6HM enemies are somewhat competent, Marcus may actually leave some enemies alive (Iron Sword v. C1 fighters), which is excellent for training your earlygame group--he can go ahead and rip shit up, leaving some extremely weakened units for Alance or that scrub Roy or godforbid if you wanna use Bors or Wolt or something IDK to finish off and level on. He's the only one who even has anything resembling good damage on that C1 boss, etc etc etc. And he's good for frontline combat and ripping shit apart until chapter 13 with only his bases and maybe a few points of levels. That's pretty awesome.

After C13 comes desert, which, well, >deploying horses. After the gaiden comes Percival, which basically replaces Marcus in combat roles. But does that make Marcus useless? No. He has a horse, so he can still rescuedrop. He can carry Roy and free up combat for another 8 move unit, etc, etc. That's still pretty good.

So while Marcus isn't as good as his younger incarnation, he's still an excellent unit that's basically your best for half the game.

9+1=10/10 because I fucking love Marcus and he's the manliest ever.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

8.5/10. He may not be as gamebreaking as his younger form was, but he's still a necessity if you want to survive ealy on.

Sorry Lumi. Been really busy finishing this essay which is still unfinished and due in less than 2 hours time.

But anyway, Marcus.

He's really useful for raising your weak-ass scrubs who come along with him. With that Iron Sword he doubles things, leaving enemy units on critical HP, allowing them to get mopped up by even the likes of Wolt.

He's not an amazing unit statistically by all means, but he's really useful in those hard opening chapters. He can still be relied on in mid game too, but his stats will not be able to keep up with those younger growth units.

90%.

9/10 I would not have made it out of chapter 1 if not for Marcus, not being strong enough to kill a fighter is wonderful for his unit and by Laus He's just another sword with tanking abilities. even in NM play he serves as great bait, and can weaken plenty of enemy units with access to the weapon triangle. Invaluable for HM play, well I mean unless you cheese it with Savestates. REALLY cheese it. Unlike Seth however he wont remain a presence to the end game, since Zealot and a Knight Crest come by Chapter 7/8

Hard Mode, eh...

He is invaluable for the Early Chapters of the game and he will be key to train the weaklings that come with him (Roy, I am looking at you...angry.gif). His value fades away a bit when Percival comes but he can still be used incase of a dire situation!

8/10

Marcus is not the man he was back in Eliwood's day where he was stomping everyone ever, but he's still more man than any of the other scrubs you start with in FE6. And this being a Hard Mode that doesn't jack around, Marcus is not only useful, but basically essential before your guys get rolling. How do you really quantify a guy like that? Sure, he isn't grand later, but how do you even get to "later" without him?

Anyway, I'm going with 8/10. He is your God starting out, but it's not like FE7 where he remains King Badass the entirety of the run. There are characters who can replace him. There are things he will eventually struggle against. But by that time he's built up so much goodwill he can take it with him to the bench and light up a cigar while he waits for Alan and Lance to kill everyone ever so he can tell them stories about the time he too killed everyone ever, and he didn't need a partner to to it!

8.5/10

Marcus is your best unit for a long time. High starting stats, full weapon triangle controll amd high movement. Early game would be hell without the old guy.

Still he's a unit with limited potential. His earlygame still make's him one of the best unit in the game.

Edited by Sasori

early game can be tough without him as meat shield and/or village saver. but once you get Zealot, all he's good for is ferrying Roy.

only early game isn't enough to give him a good grade, but ferrying is always useful.

7/10

If I were to be as uncharitable as possible, I would first look at Marcus' late game, unsupported combat potential. This shows that he has Yodel level speed, okay-ish concrete durability on low evade, and Juno level strength but with a very wide pool of available weapons.

There's no question that's bad, and you would never use him at this point, but even at his worst I'd say Marcus is more useful than a variety of people (including Yodel and Juno!). Weapon flexibility is not a thing to underrate in this game.

I cannot justify a perfect score (and that includes Marcus/10), but I can still rate him very high. He's good throughout the western isles and maybe even into Ilia. Sacae tears him to pieces but that's true for a lot of people and it only barely counts against him.

Marcus/10There, its been done.

Marcus/10

You rolled the dice, and you lost. Tsk tsk, no revisions. Try again next rating.

9.5/10

He is an essential unit for HM who helps a lot in NM. He loses importance after about 10 chapters (basically when Rutger, Lance, Dieck, Alan are beginning to be promoted) and always loses his spot to Percy.

You rolled the dice, and you lost. Tsk tsk, no revisions. Try again next rating.

So I don't get the opportunity to actually argue Marcus now?

Or am I just not cool enough.

FE6 Marcus is the quintessential Jeigan character, perhaps even more so than Jeigan himself. At the outset, he weakens all the enemies to feed your low level units quite happily, otherwise you are 3-4HKOing. 8 move across these large maps is always nice to have, and WTC means he can be thrown into combat safely. By the time he stops being useful as a combat unit, the scrubs he's been feeding kills to should be self-sufficient enough to manage without him.

Low growths of course mean Marcus won't last forever. He can be replaced as early as chapter 7 as a combat unit, but ideally you'd use him and Zealot together, at the very least for ferry duty as well as leaving plenty of kills for the other units. By the time you get to Chapter 13, Marcus is almost obsolete. You can have Alan or Lance as a much more potent combatant. Marcus isn't entirely worthless at this point though, his huge move still being a great boon for speeding up the chapters as well as providing a somewhat durable meatshield.

Percival is the best bet for replacing Marcus for good, since he's RNG proof and amazing. Other than allowing for more rescue dropping, Marcus is probably starting to hurt your combat potential. Still, he's a solid character that can last through a good portion of the game, providing different roles at different points and aiding in keeping slower units along for the ride.

9/10

Marcus/10

He's... like Sigurd, except in a game where maps are smaller and he's not the lord. And... well, he's kind of a boss.

his purple spikes make him better

Edited by Camtech