Rate the Unit, Day 7: Ellen

Dat Rules

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- Ratings for characters should always assume the gameplay route YOU judge them best on. If I see "doesn't exist in sacae" ANYWHERE in your rating for Juno I will be very cross and will probably throw out your vote out of spite.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

AVERAGES

Bors: 1.14

Wolt: 2.16

Merlinus: 3.53

Roy: 3.54

Alan: 8.52

Lance: 8.59

Marcus: 8.77

roy outscored merlinus by a factor of rounding

hahahahahaha

i like ellen but she isn't very good. she gets outshined but pretty much any other staff user in the game. she has good magic if you do train her. but defense is like what da shit. decent speed good skill. the good thing is that she is the first healer so if you are versing how rude, without marcus then she does come in handy. overall she is crap and boring but it's always fun to train those people so 2.5/10

the good thing is that she is the first healer so if you are versing how rude, without marcus then she does come in handy.

...what does this even mean?

Well lets see, God she wants some speed growth, and a better base magic, and a magic type that has a use, but she is your first healer and Will keep the blood flowing on the back lines while Clarine is off healing your front runners. I give her a nice 7/10, because unless your spending a lot of moneys on Vulnaries she's as indispensable until Ch4

Really needs some speed, or she's getting doubled a lot. Outclassed by Clarine and perhaps Saul, she is the first healer... which can help when things are nasty early on. Lategame, she's probably getting doubled by the quicker enemies, and she's pretty frail. Base 0 defense!

6/10, a little delicate, but she heals.

She ain't getting much more speed with that 20% growth. However she does have good Mag, Res and Luck growths. Everything else is shit. The worst healer in the game.

45%

She ain't getting much more speed with that 20% growth. However she does have good Mag, Res and Luck growths. Everything else is shit.

This.

Only good thing is that you get her in chapter 2 but you get other two healers soon...

4-6 ... ... ... let's say 5/10.

Edited by Serene Flight

...what does this even mean?

He's saying that she's good in her joining chapter if you aren't using Marcus. He also said "versing", which is reason enough to disregard his entire post.

The worst primary healer in the game, but she's my favorite, especially considering Clarine is a bitch and Saul is a tool. She is useful though with her great magic growths, it's not like healers should be up front anyway.

6/10 + 1

7/10

Edited by Darros

Early Healbot with durability of paper. At least her terrible spd growth is somewhat mitigated by her decent spd base until pretty late (to avoid doubling) but you shouldn't be letting her get attacked much anyway.

5.5/10.

She is probably worth a 5, because god her speed and defenses are awful, but she keeps your units alive until Saul joins and is better than her. However, I find her boring, and the first time I played in the I thought she was a generic NPC until I saw she was blue.

4/10, due to bias.

Early healer is early healer. Can use Mend as soon as you get one. Terrible durability and speed growth but her base speed is good enough to save her for quite some time. +1 because I like her more than Saul.

7/10

Edited by tiff

For being the first healer, she's not that good. She has no speed or defense, which means she's getting doubled and hit a lot. Once Clarine and Saul arrive she's utter shit and can get replaced.

But until then she's fantastic, and since FE6 loves to throw shit at you for units, she's even more fantastic.

7/10

healers are a must have in FE6, Ellen is a healer. if you heal every 1 damage any character gets, and don't intend to move forward too fast, you will be able to promote her soon enough. once promoted she's okay in offense, though she'll never be truly great. or worth the trouble, for most people.

4/10 for healer.

oh jeez IS.

good magic growth, shit base.

shit speed growth, good base.

Frail as tissue.

But, its fe6 HM, and having healer is very useful, so.

8/10, because she's part of the reason I survived until Clarine arrives.

She's frail as a Faberge Egg and honestly not quite as valuable... but while she might not be priceless, as an early healer she's certainly useful. Her godawful durability and the eventual appearance of better staffbots are, in my opinion, good reasons to eventually bench her, but early on you have no real choice but to employ her. What else are you gonna do, not use a healer?

5/10 for being good early but hard to work up to par later. Pretty average if just used as a staffbot, maybe a little fragile, but her availability makes up for it. It's a shame her supports aren't great, especially since the good characters she might want are people who she will never be able to match movement with.

If you're gonna have crappy stats then you're better off as a healer, so I guess it couldn't have gone better for Ellen. She's got some competition for healing though and I think she's overall worse than both of the others, and there's not a whole lot of demand for more frail healers. She can Warp and Hammerne though.

6.5/10

Where's Reikken when Ellen needs him most?

She's okay. I think her scores would be a lot higher if not for her immediately superior competition. She gets 2.5 chapters to herself and is difficult to justify using once Saul shows up in chapter 6. But if she is used she will do her job nearly as well as every other nonmounted healer. Saul's great speed only really matters after promotion where he can attack things and potentially double/one round them. Her support options are lacking (though she has a fairly quick triangle with Miledy and Zeiss for some reason) and wind affinity is really lame.

Since I seem to make a lot of tenuous comparisons in these threads, I'll note that a lategame Ellen looks a lot like Yodel but with way more Luck. That's... interesting?