Rate the Unit, Day 16: Saul

Dat Rules

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- Ratings for characters should always assume the gameplay route YOU judge them best on. If I see "doesn't exist in sacae" ANYWHERE in your rating for Juno I will be very cross and will probably throw out your vote out of spite.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

AVERAGES

Bors: 1.14

Wolt: 2.16

Ward: 2.61

Merlinus: 3.53

Roy: 3.54

Lot: 5.40

Ellen: 5.73

Lugh: 5.98

Chad: 6.42

Clarine: 7.78

Dieck: 7.94

Thany: 8.01

Alan: 8.52

Lance: 8.59

Marcus: 8.77

Rutger: 9.61

A BRIEF REMINDER: It doesn't make you cool to troll the ratings threads.

also thank you people like dandroid who remembered to edit their ratings posts

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Saul

Third healer.

Staffbots throughout earlygame and is a pretty potent candidate for Aureola (even though I hate getting that tome due to those annoying falling stars, boltings/purges and status staves); the only thing he'll have issues with is his glaringly low LCK and despite of 60% HP growth; he has 15% DEF growth; hence's he's still fragile; but at least that 50% RES growth allows him to laugh at magic-slinging foes.

But anyways; supports... The only thing he'll manage to use is Dorothy; he'll want some extra offenses; although he really needs is CEV; against any pesky crit-flingers and you'll have to settle with slow supports with Igrene and Ellen.

But since getting his S-rank weapon is a pain... and that LCK... :(

Edited by Frostbite

Saul, Saul, Saul... the personailty's cool, but the horrifyingly low Luck... isn't. Doesn't help that his supports don't help him much (at least the ones that aren't slooooow)...

5.5/10.

The more offensive of the early bishop pair. Decent bases and solid growths in offensive area, and nothing much else. Probably the best light magic user in the game, fow what little it matters. Joins the latest of the three main healers and doesn't have increased staff rank for compensation.

EDIT: -1 for being a tool, so 5/10

Edited by Daigoji Excellen

He's all right. Apart from not having a horse, he has the best Mag growth of all the healers, and best Mag base. Respectable 45% Skill and Spd growths, along with 50% Res make him probably the best healer, and later best Magic fighter once promoted, in the game.

70%.

Saul, well I tend not to get much mileage out of him because I really only run with one or two healers, but statistically Sauls better than Ellen and he's got some nice supports to boot. C in Staves means he can use some of the more interesting ones off the bad without heal/mend spamming, and he's your best choice for Aureola in the End Game.

I say he's a solid 7.5/10 and you could do worse than using him.

And now for the best picture(s) ever

2wmp6bd.gif

35lwaa0.gif

Saul, well I tend not to get much mileage out of him because I really only run with one or two healers, but statistically Sauls better than Ellen and he's got some nice supports to boot. C in Staves means he can use some of the more interesting ones off the bad without heal/mend spamming, and he's your best choice for Aureola in the End Game.

Bold: Please elaborate, because I'm just not seeing it...

Well rounded bishop with great hp growths and a sexy face.

6.375. Why the extra .125¿ Because of those pics above me from Onmi.

I say he's a solid 7.5/10 and you could do worse than using him.

And now for the best picture(s) ever

2wmp6bd.gif

35lwaa0.gif

Pffttt~! LOL! XD

Yes, the support bonuses are indeed tempting but...

You forgot Wind; which is Ellen... which is also slow.

Fire: Dorothy is not likely to be in play; cause she's an Archer.

Light: Yodel is just... eh...

Anima: Cecilia may sound tempting; but IIRC Anima gives +ATK, +HIT, +DEF and +EVA; no CEV.

Ice: Igrene; yes... by the far your best choice (considering she's a decent sniper to begin with; and having Killer Bow is way better than Silver Bow); supporting her is just too slow to begin with.

Edited by Frostbite

Fire Affinity, Light Affinity, Anima Affinity. Even Ice isn't bad for him for the bonus defense.

Well, Saul just stands out to me as a case of "right affinity, but wrong people to take advantage of it", as Dorothy's an archer, Yodel comes late (and neither of them help his main problem), and his other supports are slooooow.

Edited by Metal King Slime

Well, Saul just stands out to me as a case of "right affinity, but wrong people to take advantage of it", as Dorothy's an archer, Yodel comes late (and neither of them help his main problem), and his other supports are slooooow.

Oh I wasn't saying that you are likely to support him, only that he has good supports affinity wise, even if he never supports with his partners.

Oh I wasn't saying that you are likely to support him, only that he has good supports affinity wise, even if he never supports with his partners.

The problem is the only one who supporting would even be feasible (Dorothy) happens to have an affinity that doesn't mesh too well with Ice.

Better than Ellen statistically, and better growths than Clarine, but lacking her advantages (horse, supporting motherfucking Rutger). But still, his staff rank is good, his SKL/SPD are acceptable, and he has good MAG growth. If you want an impact healer over a mobile healer, Saul is your guy. Has the obvious achilles heel of a LCK problem but I've never really been that down on low-LCK units as intelligent play usually handles it.

If promoted, Saul is okay offensively. Just okay. Not great. "Just okay" offense is still more than I can generally say for Ellen or Clarine though, but again, you have healers around to heal. Why attack with them? He's also got unfortunate supports; only Dorothy is really feasible and she's not exactly ideal (as a support partner or in general). Everyone else comes too late or is far too slow.

6/10

8/10

He's a decent enough healer, gets oneshotted less than Ellen at any rate, but his real strengths come from having decent Mag+ staff rank...enough to use Warp after a Guiding Ring which makes several midgame chapters much faster and actually quite easier as well. Once Niime shows up he's not worth much though.