Rate the Unit, Day 22: Astohl

Dat Rules

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- Characters should be rated for their performance on all possible routes (A/B / Sacae/Ilia) but should not be penalized for routes they physically cannot exist on (z.B Juno in Sacae).

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

AVERAGES

Bors: 1.14

Wolt: 2.16

Ward: 2.61

Dorothy: 3.17

Merlinus: 3.53

Roy: 3.54

Treck: 4.66

Lot: 5.40

Sue: 5.64

Ellen: 5.73

Lugh: 5.98

Noah: 6.13

Chad: 6.42

Saul: 7.18

Zealot: 7.56

Clarine: 7.78

Dieck: 7.94

Thany: 8.01

Alan: 8.52

Lance: 8.59

Marcus: 8.77

Rutger: 9.61

nah, nothing to say here

Ashtol is the defensive thief, of course being able to take a fucking hit means more when you'll still dodge every incoming attack. besides he has thief utility, and you always want two of them running around, we'll get to Cath when we get to Cath...

He also has the benefit of supporting with Igrene and benefiting from her Ice affinity, as well as carrying the Dark affinity, which gives him a minor evasion boost, but helps with Igrene's critting. Unfortunately outside Igrene, he really doesn't have many support partners, and he's still a god damn thief in a game where they can't promote.

+ Utility, Good support partner (though it's still a support in FE6 so SLOOOOOOW), decent affinity, tanky dodgy mofo

- Thief. In fucking FE6 where they can't promote.

8.5/10 with a .5 Bias point because he has some of the better supports in the game

He's the thief who comes in after Chad...really hasn't stolen that much. Chad gets possibly the Halberd (for C4 cavs) and a little cash in C3, but probably not on LTC -- that chapter can be done faster than Chad can reach the chests, IIRC. He can get steal some nice swag in C6, but again, unless you spend a fair number of extra turns for it, he's limited on what he can get. And...really, that's about it. Astohl is frankly superior to Chad when he comes into play and is the first thief you turn to in such occasions, and probably holds that title for the rest of the game.

7.5/10, because stealing = good in Fire Emblem. Also surviving way better than Chad = double good.

Edited by Kngt_Of_Titania

The second thief of the game; and guess what does Astohl have which Chad and Cath doesn't have?

He has durability and can take either a Bolting or Purge hit; unlike the two which can get OHKO'd if they're unlucky.

@Onmi

Ice furnishes +2.5 AVO per level; Dark also gives +2.5 AVO; they benefit with a full AVOID bonus

Edited by Frostbite

Oh I know, For a second I thought he had Chad's Thunder though, which would have been 7.5% Evade

Ah well can't have everything And it's ONMI!

Edited by Onmi

Hurrah a thief! He's probably better than Chad at this point! The fact he doesn't break so easily is nice. Still delicate, but not bad at all!

7/10

Can take a hit, unlike Chad and Cath, comes in a chapter loaded with chests, and is overall a great unit for utility.

Combat-wise, not so great. His 35% STR growth isn't that bad for a thief, and he could possibly be seeing use for some chip damage.

7/10, +.5 for the support with Igrene and another +.5 for the awesome beard. 8/10

He is a thief, what can i say? Good utility and has good enough durability to survive when a bad situation is about to happen (Well, for stuff like Siege Tome Enemies)...

I shall give this guy a 9/10 (including +1 pt Bias since i find his supports funny)!

-Can take a hit.

-Is a decent combat unit in the isles.

-Theif utility

-Banged Igrene.

-Due ti circumstances, cannot be with wife.

-Nice support list, but most of the ostians are bad, except for like OJ-who's just mediocre.

7/10

Second thief who can take hits. Also has crazy avoid on top of that. Not that there's anything too important in FE6 in chests IIRC but it's still nice to have.

6/10

He can take a hit and not die and his combat is borderline okay until he gets stuck with the nopromo thing. Sadly, chestkeys and door keys on a horse, which are buyable, is even better than a thief at getting chest since mounted canto after chest, but he can still get credit for half-to-all the shit in C8 (depending if you wanna deploy chad there or no), Desert (I find him more optimal to bring there because he doesn't die to everything in one shot just in case omfgdragon pops up out of the fog), and getting the Delphi Shield.

6/10

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Better than Chad in that he doesn't die instantaneously. Otherwise the same deal as Chad- he gets replaced quickly by keys in all but stealing since anyone can get desert items 100% of the time. So he gets points for that, I guess.

4.5/10

Edited by ♈Aradia Megido

A fairly useful supplement/replacement/alternative to Chad. Has a little bit of durability, which doesn't sound like high praise, but a little bit is better than nothing. But less availability. When you want to run thieves, you probably would like to run them both just to speed things up, but if I had to pick I'm... really not sure where I'd go between the two.

6.5/10

Second thief who can take hits.

Chad can take hits?

What is this I don't even.

Anyway, Asthol can take a hit unlike the usual Thief parade. The issue is most of the stealing comes through Chad's alley with Asthol's being minor "bonuses", barring the exception of the Delphi Shield and a gem from time to time. Chapter 14 too, if we want to get really technical. I blame Chest Keys personally and mounted units for (almost) defeating Asthol's purpose, but he does provide some utility at a slightly better advantage than a lot of characters you get throughout the game, and does it at almost little to no cost whatsoever.

For extra credit, Asthol can do okay combat-wise in the Western Isles if you deploy him. 18 Atk with a Steel Sword isn't beyond terrible, and it becomes 19 with WTA. Also keep in mind that Asthol could still wield an Iron Blade if really necessary (8 Con, 15 base Spd, slow Fighters, do the math) and he has a +1 Mov advantage on foot units. Don't forget he has C Swords, so if you really want he can pull Light Brand for 20 damage from 2 range; usually good enough for other units to deliver the finishing blow if you're like that.

EDIT: Looks like there's a way to get a 100% chance drop on items in Chapter 14... so knock down the score a bit.

6/10, though I'd just like to give him Thief/10.

Edited by Colonel M

Chad can take hits?

What is this I don't even.

Anyway, Asthol can take a hit unlike the usual Thief parade. The issue is most of the stealing comes through Chad's alley with Asthol's being minor "bonuses", barring the exception of the Delphi Shield and a gem from time to time. Chapter 14 too, if we want to get really technical. I blame Chest Keys personally and mounted units for (almost) defeating Asthol's purpose, but he does provide some utility at a slightly better advantage than a lot of characters you get throughout the game, and does it at almost little to no cost whatsoever.

For extra credit, Asthol can do okay combat-wise in the Western Isles if you deploy him. 18 Atk with a Steel Sword isn't beyond terrible, and it becomes 19 with WTA. Also keep in mind that Asthol could still wield an Iron Blade if really necessary (8 Con, 15 base Spd, slow Fighters, do the math) and he has a +1 Mov advantage on foot units. Don't forget he has C Swords, so if you really want he can pull Light Brand for 20 damage from 2 range; usually good enough for other units to deliver the finishing blow if you're like that.

EDIT: Looks like there's a way to get a 100% chance drop on items in Chapter 14... so knock down the score a bit.

Will you be taking advantage of RNG abuse to say that Gonzales' skill doesn't matter as well?

Well, IIRC, Gonzales is level 12 in one of the routes, so he can be instapromoted for +5 skill, assuming you don't give your Hero Crests to Rutger/Dieck/whoever. Still not great accuracy, but eh.

Personally, I dislike giving Door Keys/Chest Keys to my Paladins, because that gives them less weapon slots, and therefore less manipulation of the weapon triangle, and since I don't play much for turns, and lol at FE6 Tactics rank, Ashtol generally sees a lot of thief utility from me. 8/10 + 1 bias because I like his backstory. 9/10.

Will you be taking advantage of RNG abuse to say that Gonzales' skill doesn't matter as well?

Nonononononono, instead I'm rigging the RNG for MU to have +HP, Str, Def, and Luck... obviously.

I don't completely -condone- RNG abuse (with minor exceptions). Even so, 6.5 is kind of high for a thief that comes in and... well... does so "little".

He has some nice steals like the Delphi Shield that he shares with Chad, and his combat isn't tooooo bad in the isles, but really, Chest Keys are buyable in the chapter before he joins, so he can only be so useful.

4/10

I don't feel like RNG abuse should be factored into ratings at all, and while that 100% everybody get items thing is pretty awesome, I will not assume that since it's still manipulation of the RNG to do so.

Or else I'd give him a 4 if I did factor that RNG thing in.

He is a thief that can survive sort of. He has decent combat in the isles as well as good defense due to all the axes. He's the slowest thief but still caps speed on average. He's the best thief in the game due to bases, that said he's still a thief.

6.5/10 because his isle combat still is better then some pure combat units.