- you admitted publicly that you reset for low% criticals on what should sometimes be clean OHKOs with a proper forge but you just didn't make the forge
- you stated that critical hits are allowed to be manipulated on any 0 luk enemies (which is every non-boss enemy in the game)
- you had that ridiculous setup for recruiting michalis that is not really even statistically possible
- you consistently say dumb shit outside of this topic (this is the main reason btw)
1) I believe in honesty when I do a run; I'd rather people judge the run for what it is instead of promoting it as something it's not. I'm not bragging or anything, I want to make clear exactly what is required in a run like that. And I can think of one time (maybe two) where I could get a OHKO with a reasonable forge, and that was the C11 boss; there was also a situation where Palla/Sirius failed to double without the RP (C12), so a few killer crits were necessary. I ended up with a nearly empty convoy and broke by the end of the game, and that was with getting every Bullion(L) possible, simply because of the sheer number of base arena'ing and purchased statboosters; there weren't very many forges I could afford even if I wanted to.
2) This point was mainly a clarification on prologue, where there are no killer weapons available. It was meant to say that I don't force crits on units like Luke, Rody, and Athena because I didn't want to face the 1-2% crits; A) because it kind of reeked of RNG abuse and B) because you're essentially forced to manipulate Merc!MU's levels since way too much offense in prologue is reliant on him and forcing a level RIGHT after those 1-2% crits is stupid low odds. In fact, the vast majority of the crits I forced were with killers, the Wo Dao, and the Master Sword, and was heavily late game, where crit chances ranged from 40-50%. I can think of about 3-4 times over the entire run where I've forced sub-10% crits and about 5 times where I forced 15-20% crits (3 times with Gradivus, 2 times with rapier). As Anouleth said, basically every enemy in the main story has 0 LUK.
3) The whole point of the run was to see how fast H3 COULD be done (or well, how fast I could get it done). You have to admit that Michealis thing was kind of clever; it took me long enough to come up with, and I'm proud of the strat.
4) We disagree on some things; that doesn't mean I'm wrong. I honestly pull back any arguments I made on the Meg thread (although I still think she gets too bad of a rap as a unit because she's ugly; second worst unit in the game is a bit harsh, especially when you have some rather terrible units in FE10), and tbh that thread blew up and got stupid silly fast.
now i agree that there is definite strategy space for strategies requiring massive amounts of RNG manipulation, and i commend you for that (as someone who also does runs with a crapload of RNG manipulation). but it's a whole 'nother thing when you say "hey gaiz i found a better strategy than dondon did but u have to crit 3 enemies at 14% and then dodge a 62% while maneuvering your penis into your mouth." and you have said something like that before. just not in this topic.
No, I've said (or at the very least meant to say) that I've found a way to get faster turncounts than you, but then made sure to say that it requires X, Y, and Z to work. I'm not trying to one-up you or even give that impression; it was mostly just me being happy I managed to shave a few turn counts in my LTC run, where obviously every turn counts, rather than me going "HERP DERP IM BETTER THAN DONDON". I had to use the turn counts of you and SDS as a baseline for what to beat or at least tie; I obviously can't have a legitimate LTC run where I can't manage to tie your turn counts even while using more RNG manipulation (a good example of this in C4, where I found that 7 turn clears are about as fast you can reliably clear it, but 5 turn clears are possible with Marth dodging one of two 80% hit rates and critting with the rapier the next turn).
Also, with basically every non-FE12 turn count you post, it's basically a 0% growth run versus a LTC run; they're not even comparable, and I wouldn't even try to match the turn count from one to that of another. Playing FE6 HM, I know that doing a 196 (right?) turn count clear with 0% growths is obviously very impressive, even though it looks like it is possible to shave 10-20 turns more in a LTC run.
and the real beef that i have with mj's guide is that it sometimes makes assumptions that the player has had some obscene long-term RNG luck. i don't really mind his mediocre strategy recommendations just because 98% of the players who play this game won't really care about that sort of optimization (plus the game hadn't been played prior to that point in time), but i find it rather disingenuous for a supposedly well-respected resource to suggest that MU should have 30 def as a paladin, or something like that. this is compounded with the fact that mj is entirely incapable of taking a joke or a jab and thinks that every nay-sayer is out to ruin his reputation.
He has a complete guide to FE12, complete with proper screenshots, his posted turn counts, and what he needed to make the strat work. I think most/much of the time he did the 30 DEF pally assumption was on Lunatic', right? I can definitely see a much better case for assuming a high DEF MU in H4, considering how ridiculous it can get at times because there's no way to avoid enemy damage with strong 1-range attacks on PP. Either way, I understand why it rubs you the wrong way, but it's not like he's condoning the behavior; the guide is intended to give you a possible way to approach each chapter and to give at least a basic insight, not to preach how to play FE12 or to claim to be the expert on all things New Mystery of the Emblem. Obviously, you didn't insult his guide, and I'm not accusing you of that, but rather saying WHY I have little problem with him doing that.
In other words, it was simply an act of charity on his end, and I can see why mj got offended if somebody slipped an insult unprovoked about his guide in a completely unrelated advice thread years after it was written (now, I don't know him very well, and if he constantly plays the victim, it might be different, but I don't get that impression); hell, I'm not even bothered by most things, but being insulted like I was in this thread rubbed me a bit the wrong way, not because you or Colonel M disapprove of the run (or that you dislike me), but rather that it seems like you have to mock it (or me) in a sneaky and underhanded way.
Edited by Kngt_Of_Titania, 28 March 2012 - 04:58 PM.