[FE4] Rate the Unit XXXVIII

Rules (Borrowed from whomever made them first with modifications)

- Ratings to be assumed from when a unit is first available.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted (unless they fall into the general parameters of the average rating, but reasoning is still strongly encouraged on those even if you just wanna quote people) — incredibly low scores or high scores without proper justification will not be counted. Don't put in some random text thinking it'd count as justification. Put in at least a little thought and give REAL reasoning.

- Numbers for votes, please - not something like "Sigurd/10", etc.

- Personality / Appearance may be taken into account, but only +/- 1 point at the most.

- Votes out of 10, or something proportional to it, please!

- Make votes easily visible, please and thank you!

- Every ranking phase will end on the next day at approximately 10:00 PM (or 22:00), EST.

-Second Generation Note: Assume that Substitutes are done on a Subs-only run. Any "not ________" will not be accepted.

Units and Ranking (Least to Greatest):

First Generation

Diadora: 1.19

Ardan: 1.39

Tiltyu: 2.00

Briggid: 3.71

Claude: 4.42

Azel: 4.63

Jamka: 5.25

Midir: 5.47

Dew: 5.68

Holyn: 5.90

Lachesis: 6.13

Noish: 6.15

Alec: 6.17

Beowulf: 6.40

Aideen: 6.57

Ayra: 6.79

Levin: 7.87

Fin (First Generation): 7.88

Fury: 8.25

Cuan: 8.41

Lex: 8.83

Ethlin: 9.15

Sylvia: 9.50

Sigurd: 9.96

Second Generation

Roddlevan: 3.33

Radney: 3.44

Dimna: 4.89

Mana: 4.98

Tristan: 5.00

Skasaher: 6.00

Lakche: 6.35

Lester: 6.59

Julia: 7.12

Lana: 8.24

Delmud: 8.45

Oifaye: 8.58

Celice: 9.54

DAY 38: ARTHUR

___

Arthur has the potential to be one of the best units in the Second Generation, if Levin's his father. He has instant access to Holsety, and promotes to use a horse. That alone makes him one of the best units in FE4.

From Tiltyu he receives Minor Tordo and Wrath. In itself, that isn't very good. His father really determines his worth. Odds are, he'll have Levin, Azel, or Lex as a father, as they seem to be the most viable choices. Levin gives him Holsety, Continue, and Critical, and he can easily take the Pursuit Ring in that case. Azel gives him Minor Fala and Pursuit. Lex gives him Minor Neir (always a welcome defense boost) and Elite (lolambush).

Once Arthur promotes he begins to fully wreck the game, especially if he's wielding Holsety. Even without it, Arthur can take most spells and wreck stuff, and even a decent Magic Sword works wonders. With Lex as a father he can use a few decent non-magic swords, but so can, like, everyone else. And he can't use A rankers unless Holyn's his father. Which is pretty useless unless you really like awesome HP growths, or something.

Since FE4!Mageknights are one of my favorite classes I'm giving a +.5 bonus to Arthur.

9/10

Ooh Arthur...

Best father is Levin. Distant second is in my opinion a tie between Azel and Lex. Movement before promotion is a pain and because the leg ring goes to Celice or maybe Leen Arthur definitely won't be having it which leaves him at 5 mov which is pathetic. He does however nuke the arena and all this results in, in the end, a late promotion and another kickass mount.

7/10 doesn't seem too unrealistic for him.

His movement can suck but whocares. He's able to get a Holsety from the get go. I think the elite and ambush combo from Lex works wonders too. Oh course Azel isn't bad due to giving spells and pursuit. Anywho Arthur has a lot of potential. Not to mention you get him from you get him for pretty much all of part 2. Wrath is nice too.

8.5/10

lacks a mount early on then gets one and the overkills stuff and doesn't get hit until dark magic shows up

holsety is ridiculous

9/10 for not starting with a horse and only existing to kill shit, even if he is the best offensive unit with a horse in gen 2

lacks a mount early on then gets one and the overkills stuff and doesn't get hit until dark magic shows up

holsety is ridiculous

9/10 for not starting with a horse and only existing to kill shit, even if he is the best offensive unit with a horse in gen 2

This. Down to the 9/10.

Other viable options: I found Lex to be a viable option for a dad as well, if you decided Sety wants to go canon today. Obviously not as good as HorseSety but he can gain a horse very quickly (<--most important part) and his mag deficiencies are made up by how critical works in this game + his high defense gains. Still a great candidate for pursuit ring in this case. Azel's kid's good statistically, but lacks an incredibly OP weapon nor Elite to get horse quickly with and unpromoted mage move is shittier than normal foot move. Still viable if you aren't going efficient, however. Coming with Pursuit is nice.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

I find Ambush the better skill that Lex passes down to Arthur... it lets him survive more than one or two units at a time. But Levin!Arthur is better, so it doesn't really matter. Chapter 6 Holsety is great, and he can actually get people to attack him sometimes without being on a road, unlike Sety. Great offence and only really gets hit by Dark Mages, Julius, and Ishtar. And he's also got a good shot at a passed down Bargain Ring to help with the expenses. 9.5/10 because I just prefer Sety to Arthur.

Ambush is also the reason why he can get a horse easily. AmbushWrath dominates arenas so hard and his exp shoots out the roof.

But anyway while I only rate on best father possible I do like to list out a few other options that might not be bad alternatives since you likely aren't always going to use only optimal pairings ever.

lacks a mount early on then gets one and the overkills stuff and doesn't get hit until dark magic shows upholsety is ridiculous 9/10 for not starting with a horse and only existing to kill shit, even if he is the best offensive unit with a horse in gen 2

This is pretty much my feel on Arthur, so give him a 9/10 for me.

He's not perfect. He absolutely wants Levin, for starters; this is not really a compromise thing. Other fathers are okay, but Levin is who he wants for a dad. And if he gets him? Holsety from Chapter 6, and a horse... when he promotes. Of course he has to do that first. That's true of non-Levin dads too, but it's tougher for him to reach horse critical mass with any dad but Lex. Lex happens to be a pretty good father for him though, but he'll have to make do with what he starts with in that case as dad won't be any help on the inheritance front. I suppose Lex could snag a Magic Ring before the end of Gen One, or something.

Still, if you go the Levin route you get the best Holsety user, period. He's there the longest and he's got Wrath from Tiltyu which is actually something not to be ignored in the arena or against tough bosses like Ishtar. If powergaming is your goal, Levin's the man you want fathering Arthur. That doesn't make it automatic though.

No matter the father, he does pretty damn well in arenas. Levin or Lex do best of course. Lex actually gets the edge there, but Levin!Arthur doesn't exactly care if he's a little behind the exp curve... once he's gotten his horse, anyway.

8.75/10. Father flexibility counts for a lot, as does being a footie early on, but Holsety and Wrath on a mobile platform make up for those deficiencies and then some. Still, they are recognizable flaws.

TBH, I've always found Wrath a bit superfluous. The only people who he isn't ORKOing with just the Pursuit Ring are, IIRC, Ishtar, Hilda, Alvis, Julius, and maybe a couple of the Dark Warlords, and he's got a 30%+ Critical and 40%+ Continue from Levin on top of that. Wrath won't help you with Julius, but I suppose it can help with Hilda and Alvis. I guess it can help you conserve Holsety uses by letting you use Elwind or something against random mooks, but he's probably got the Bargain Ring anyways.

Levin and Lex!Arthur are both pretty funky. He arrives early, and once he gets on a horse, he joins Celice's mobile death squad. My only gripes with him are that he has WTD against all the Dark Mages, and that he needs the Pursuit Ring - which he deserves.

8/10 - Needs time to get going, but has the potential to kill everything. He does ask for a lot though.

Doesn't let you recruit Linda 0/10

Arthur starts off really bad. Like, 5 move and not so fabulous stats really bad. But then he levels and depending on his father, becomes Holsety on wheels (Levin), an ambushwrathbot with swords (Lex, Arden), or.... still lame (Azel,Claude).

Holsety is rape.

8/10, but I hate his stupid self and would choose Buttface over him 100% of the time.

7/10

holsety is ridiculous

this this totally this

Lex is a great father, so he's not fucked if Fury and Levin are (hee).

Azel is decent as well, so Ayra can have the axe knight too.

Doesn't let you recruit Linda 0/10

this

Except actually he's a pretty cool guy. Lex!Arthur starts to badly need Pursuit around chapter 10, so you have to shuffle the one Pursuit Ring to him since he starts failing to 1HKO reliably.

On the other hand, then there's Levin!Arthur and his hilarity. Shuffle him the Elite Ring in C7 (just pass down bullshit rings nobody wants/bargain) and laugh at the Arena.

He is pretty solid meh before he promotes, but he is pretty amazing after he does, and he does promote pretty quickly all told.

Let's just go with the flow and say 9/10.

holsety is ridiculous

Works for me.

+.5 because he's cool.

Levin!Arthur is generally a little bit overrated because it's rare to engineer situations where a big pack of relevant enemies can be made to attack Arthur while he's holding Holsety and you have so many crazy powerful units in Gen 2 and so many opportunities to seize-vanish stuff that player phase is incredibly goofy. You also have to make the Tilt-Levin pairing and capture the castle with Holsety in it (I believe this is otherwise skippable). He's great as an RPG "Look how bad I overkill this dude" unit though, although I guess Levin!Sety is even better for that.

Lex!Arthur I haven't actually used, but it seems to me like it couldn't be more than a fun gimmick.

Azel!Arthur is Tiltyu's fastest pairing with the love talk I think and makes him a quite fast and destructive unit and he's pretty high quality mounted filler after promotion.

7.5/10 overall

No Earlygame mount, needs the leg ring, high competition, elite ring, also high competition.

is there a high payoff? Oh god yes, but it takes a big longer then I would desire (he's not doing much for 6/7)

But yeah, once he picks up (hopefully he gets an elite ring or something) he picks up.

However that is only assuming Holsety, without it, he has the same hard time with mediocre payoff.

8/10

Edited by 3-13Archer

Starts out as a foot unit but gains a mount on promotion. With Levin as a father means he gets an early access to Holsety and he'll have Continue and Critical but he lacks Pursuit, so he may need the Pursuit Ring if you wanna double. If Azel's the father, then he'll have the Pursuit Skill but a bit tough to train without the Elite Ring. I don't know about Lex though, as I never paired Tiltyu with Lex.

9/10 for being one of the potential Holsety user.

Why isn't Arthur being penalized for his movement while nearly every other foot unit is?

Anyways, I like Arthur and as long as he has Levin, Azel or Lex as his father, it's nearly impossible for him to turn out bad.

9/10, would be an 8, but I like the Tiltyu spawn.

Arthur promotes to a Horse, and he can have Holsety as early as Chapter 6. Arthur has the potential to be one of the best foot units in the second generation. Only the Swordtwins, Shanan, Sety, or Leaf could claim otherwise.

Why isn't Arthur being penalized for his movement while nearly every other foot unit is?

Arthur promotes to a Horse, and he can have Holsety as early as Chapter 6. Arthur has the potential to be one of the best foot units in the second generation. Only the Swordtwins, Shanan, Sety, or Leaf could claim otherwise.

Right answer, wrong reasons.

He's not being knocked for reasons because, as Craig said, he gets a horse on promotion. While that doesn't help some people (azel >_>), in this case it's not so unbearable. Arthur can, if you play your cards right, be promoted at the beginning of chapter 7 (I think I've only managed this with Lex as his father, though). Chapter 8 at the latest. Depending on who his father is, you can have him either attempt to tank the HeroAxeDude's brigade or Brohalva's; I usually have him murder Johalva so the Celice can still reach the magical level 18. Hell, even without Lex as his father, he should be making level 20 at least midway through chapter 7 (where he can trudge down to the battlefield while Celice runs up to Yied and/or Darna.

Once he is promoted, he's a helluva good fighter still, and has a horse. No more movement penalties.