Rate the Unit, Day 3: Oscar

PKL

Dat Rules (borrowed/stolen from Integrity)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode+Fixed Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "she brings a Knight Ward to the team" as an argument.

- BEXP is free to be used in any quantity on any character.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

Averages:

Ike: 8.567

Titania: 9.91

Please, no more "Not Seth" or "Not Sigurd" votes. Read the rules.

I think I overrated Ike by a point or two in hindsight. Oscar deserves the 8/10, Ike a 6/10

Oscar is better than Ike in pretty much every way that's ever relevant till Ike gets Boots and Ragnell. After that he's still a boss.

Edited by Daigoji Excellen

Short story: Oskar starts good and turns into a powerful Paladin.

He also has a mount and a nice affinity that makes him not die and I like when units don't die. He also supports good units and his support with Ike builds up really fast.

10/10

+1 bias because he is an awesome brother. Really, who wouldn't have this guy as a brother. He even is a good cook.

A great growth Cavalier, though he can at times be prone to RNG problems thanks to sub-50% STR and SPD. Not that this is bad, but you definitely want to make sure to shore those up with bands or something if you can to ensure he keeps performing. He also starts lance-locked, but that's really not that bad in FE9 after the first couple of maps, and Oscar's got the SKL to connect.

What really makes Oscar above the curve? Two factors. One, he's available forever. Or nearly so, anyway. There's very few maps you can't use Oscar on, and he's always on hand when you need him to be. Two, supports. Oscar's Earth support gives him massive Evade, and he happens to be the one dude in FE9 who can triple down on an Earth support (Ike + Tanith; Janaff can double down but he's not Earth himself). They're fast supports too, and he's an obvious choice for Ike since it's a quick early support with good survivability returns. And well, Ike's an obvious choice for him, since Ike's gonna be deployed no matter what. With all that extra dodge, Oscar can really tank. If he gets a good streak of HP and DEF, he'll be nearly unkillable. He lacks Titania's concreteness, but he has defensive bases that are not actually that bad compared to hers and a lot more room to grow.

Take Axes at promotion and you have yourself a nice all-game killer and tank. Kinda blends into the background at times though, and he does risk getting RNG screwed on any given run unless you're judicious with band use, but as long as he turns out average or better he'll always have a case for a roster slot.

8.5/10 (edited +0.5, I'm lowballing him more than is probably accurate)

Edited by Renall

-So-so growths, with 45% in both strength and speed, 30% in resistance and luck, and 35% on defense, but he'll usually turn out great.

-Earth affinity support for dodging and is a fast choice with Ike.

-Mounted

-Is available for most of the game except for chapters 3 and 4.

9/10.

Also a great brother, and fights with his eyes closed. Now that's badass.

Edited by Moonwulf

From his first Chapter to the endgame he is one of your top 3 units. Up to Chapter 8 only Titania (and maybe Shinon?) is/are better than him. On Chapter 8 he gets significant Bexp to make him close to Titania and possibly supass her there. Even after Marcia and Jill join and become awesome he is never worse than your 3rd best unit.

He has earth affinity, good support options, 2nd best class in the game, and access to the Knight Ward for a durability boost and to guarantee his Speed to cap.

His only cons are his kinda slow early game, lack of flight, and his low axe rank after promotion. The flight thing isnt that big of a deal and as far as axe rank goes, it really doesnt matter cause Steel Axes are an E rank so he can grow it up to an A well before Silvers are available.

His only flaw is early game but it is very insignificant.

9.75/10

9.5/10

Another great horse using unit in PoR. Good availability, has a horse, and becomes great later on. He also has earth affinity so that is good for supports. However, his early game is a bit slow, but he turns amazing later on.

oscarhp7.jpg

You all rate this guy over 7?

Well...with earth support, paramount availability, decent growths, a horse, and prime WTControl, I can too.

Theorycraft 9.125

Edited by Elieson

Essentially Titania reversed - a bit of a slow start, but always helpful and extremely h4x during mid- and lategame.

His stats aren't particularly impressive, but (very) solid all around. Oh, and he becomes basically invincible once his supports get going. And he is one of the game's broken paladins, which is always a good thing.

9.5/10

Oscar, well... He's the first mounted knight you'll get... and....

He has Earth X Earth support access; having access to a variety of weapons upon promotion and high MOV; which all gives him...

Shut up I'm saving my biased 10 for someone else....

Edited by Frostbite

He also has a mount and a nice affinity that makes him not die and I like when units don't die. He also supports good units and his support with Ike builds up really fast.

10/10

+1 bias because he is an awesome brother. Really, who wouldn't have this guy as a brother. He even is a good cook.

Seconding this.

Shut up I'm saving my biased 10 for someone else....

Lemme guess, Astrid!

And to the topic on hand, since I haven't played this before, why is he unavailable in Ch.3&4?

10/10

BEST.UNIT.EVER

really! He has 8 base def (so he helps with babying if you don't use Titania or Shinon in the first chapters) , he comes early, has earth affinity, and a horse *_*

Also, he has the cutest (and happiest) face ever. XD

oh, and his support with janaff is amusing.

Edited by Niharu

9/10 good bases , canto , sweet move, and decent growths . He really pulls his weight . One of the best units in the game . I really like his character design too, the happy eyes closed thing always gets me . His strength isn't the best but axes after promotion is an easy fix .

Edited by The_Purple_Knight

10/10

LikeWise

Oscar gets a 9/10 from me, he has the possibilty of a really shaking hit rate considering he might get screwed with his skill and all the axes near the start really don't help him. Has the third best ability in the game though, and the best supports. Give him axes on promo and you have a really tanky unit on hand

Oh man, Oscar. You made my first playthrough of FE9 awesome as hell.

Great affinity, great MOV, great availability, and overall just an awesome unit. 8/10, +1 bias because he's awesome. 9/10

What?

Remeber the two chapters (4 and 5 i think) near the start of the game when he's out with Greil? Those chapters make him tie with Boyd for third best availability in the game behind Ike and Titania.

Remeber the two chapters (4 and 5 i think) near the start of the game when he's out with Greil? Those chapters make him tie with Boyd for third best availability in the game behind Ike and Titania.

You mean AVAILABILITY, you said ABILITY, I assumed you meant Skills (he has none).