Rate the Unit, Day 27: Fir

Dat Rules

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- Characters should be rated for their performance on all possible routes (A/B / Sacae/Ilia) but should not be penalized for routes they physically cannot exist on (z.B Juno in Sacae).

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

AVERAGES

WENDY!: 0.19

Bors: 1.14

Barth: 2.07

Wolt: 2.16

Ward: 2.61

Dorothy: 3.17

Lilina: 3.53

Merlinus: 3.53

Roy: 3.54

Treck: 4.66

Oujay: 4.80

Lot: 5.40

Sue: 5.64

Ellen: 5.73

Lugh: 5.98

Noah: 6.13

Chad: 6.42

Astohl: 7.17

Saul: 7.18

Zealot: 7.56

Clarine: 7.78

Dieck: 7.94

Thany: 8.01

Alan: 8.52

Lance: 8.59

Marcus: 8.77

Rutger: 9.61

ah, that wendy rating. wasn't that fun?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeesh, 0.19? Why isn't it a flat-out zero?

Ah, Fir. Karla's hot daughter. She starts out at level 1 when you get her, but she's recruited in a chapter that's axe heavy, and the reinforcements come right after she's recruited. Good EXP for her right here. Her STR growth (which I believe is 25%) isn't so good, but her base is competent enough. Plus, she has the Wo Dao, and the critcal ratios are so fucking high in FE6, that she'l possibly murder anything that tries to fight her, especially those fighters and bandits.

But, she has a long way to go to compete with Dieck, Rutger, and possibly Oujay.

4/10, +1 bias since I love her. 5/10

*looks at Wendy rating thread* Yep, it was fun being cruel and unruly towards the little runt! :evil:

Fir... Well, she's the second myrm you'll get in the game; she is also underleveled; but anyways her bases seems nice in my books and gets HM bonuses too! Also, she's Rutger-lite when promoted; except she can't reach Rutger's crit-party level though.

Also; she joins during an axe-fest so why not put that Wo Dao to use and PARTY until she promotes?

Edited by Frostbite

Badder Str growth, but high chance of critting makes up for it! And she's Bartre's daughter. ^-^ Her joining time is just right too at the chapter with a bunch of Axe users. She is a great character to use because alot of enemies favor axes over any other melee weapon in the game.

So...

8.5/10

Edited by リンダ

She can get exp pretty okish in the isles, and her high crit sorely helps her offence upon promotion.

However, her strength is pretty bad, and her durability is worse, and she competes for a promotion item and yadda yadda yadda stuff i'm not supposed to mention.

i'll pull a random number out of the air and give her a

4/10

Typical female myrmidon: weaker but more crit-worthy. Supports Noah, who you are likely not using, and it is certainly a cute support that gives her offensove boosts, and is fairly easy to get too.

Solid bases compensate fir moderaly acceptable growths.

A modest 5.75

Solid bases compensate fir moderaly acceptable growths.

25% STR 15% DEF

Not moderaly acceptable growths by any means.

4/10. Fir is a Myrmidon in a game where swords are one of the better weapon types and Swordmasters are hilariously broken. She also gets Hard Mode bonuses and joins during the Western Isles for an Axefest. Still she's level 1, and even with HM Bonuses she's got the durability of paper, her Strength growth is depressing and unless she's lucky and proccing strength, she's going to need Energy rings.

She's not BAD Per say, Rutgar just does the job better and earlier, and is more in line for the Hero Crest. She's not unusable unless you want to talk Efficiency/LTC (I have no idea on how well she does there seeing as I don't play that way) and she has a nice affinity with Fire, with some nice (if slow) support partners

I'm not going to lie here, I love using the girl, despite her obvious setbacks of a low Str growth.

She comes at Lv.1 with 9 Str, 12 Skl and 13 spd. Holy actual fuck, the HM bonuses are crazy.

She is recruited on a chapter riddled with axe-wielding enemies. Perfect for raising her levels. And they will raise fast too, considering her low level.

I personally raise the girl to Lv20 before promoting her, but it really wouldn't harm to do it as soon as possible, considering the bonuses a SwordMaster receives. Unlocking the potential to consta-crit with a Killing Edge and that awesome skill, she always catches up to - and even overtakes - Rutger in performance. The rate of evade is a large performance indicator for myself, slightly moreso than the damage output a unit gives.

By the time Ch.13 comes around, she's my new primary boss killer. Those insane speed and luck bases growths ensures she's the biggest dodge tank in the game. Hardly anything hits her, so the lack of defence becomes much less of an issue.

I gave Rutger 90%, so I'm going to give this lass a solid

80%.

25% STR 15% DEF

Not moderaly acceptable growths by any means.

25% on lv.1 base 9 is acceptable. Her def isn't, but 75% hp isn't worth ignoring either, especially on base 25 hp.

Coupled with 50/55/55 to help her massive WTA avoid, yea.

Edited by Elieson

Fir is in a good class and shows up at a good time for swordlock. But on the other hand, she shows up greatly underleveled and is fighting for a contested promotion item if she wants to supplement Rutger (because she ain't gonna replace him, but Swordmaster crit is broken to the point that she's certainly still viable).

Keep at her and she's alright. But it's starting to ask a lot of new units to be coming in underleveled at this stage of the game.

She's also very, very lucky that she mostly takes after her mother in looks. Though she could certainly rock a mustache if she tried.

5/10

Fir, one of the units I dislike using. She's not bad, but comes late. When effin Rutger and Dieck are about to promote.

I mean you've got Dieck and Rutger, who've had availability and the stats the ge the hero proofs. If you were using Lot, he'd want one too(Ward is shit.) Fir is like, better than Oujay(although I do think his str growth lead is better than Fir's spd growth lead) and that's about it. Who cares if its an axe fest in the isles, Alance, Dieck, Rutger, Marcus and Zealot can deal with those suckers much better than Fir. Why waste time on her?

4/10(actual score), 3.5/10(bias against her)

Edited by Marth

She comes in the middle of an axefest equipped with a Wo Dao. It should probably be handed off to Rutger, but she can still murder brigands on the map like there's no tomorrow. Though she can sit on a fort or forest, however, she can't evade forever, and her durability won't be holding up. She starts with a good enough STR base of 9, but a 25% growth means it may be sticking there for a while. Meanwhile, she has crest competition with 3-4 other units.

5/10

Sword locked unit who arrives in an axe-fest.

Infantry.

Oh wait, she needs a Hero Crest.

probobly promoting in ch16.

Oh wait, in Sacae she's able to deal with the fast Ntroopers and shit.

So, 7/10 with bias.

Fir shares Marisa's problem of being a second myrm with shittier bases and ranks all around than the first myrm.

Unlike Marisa, her being low levelled has a storyline reason, and she can amount to something. Her join situation is a lot more forgiving since axefest, and SM doesn't suck in FE6. Being level 1 sucks, and having bases at either same or slightly lower than Rutger's who joined back in chapter 4 hurts as well, but those bases by themselves aren't bad. Besides Dieck/Rutger/Marcus/Zealot/Alance not many are likely to be at 9str/13spd. And you know, there's more deployment than just the hax people and in C10 axe-wielding reinforcements does come up behind you so I don't see why Fir can't level off those fuckers also.

Being level 1 with good bases has one perk, and that lets her level fairly quickly. And since she joins in an axefest you don't actually need to set up kills for her. This is also more than some units can say.

It is "pointless" to have Fir if you already got Rutger, but it's equally pointless to rate a character and assume he/she is not in play when he/she is plenty trainable. While there are the aforementioned units that can do her job better, a trained Fir isn't exactly terrible, either. Trained Firs can amount to sorta-but-not-quite-Rutgers, which is still better offense than at least 70-80% of the cast can ever amount to. This is nice especially in Sacae, where her speed and crit is a nice addition. like many others, Hero crest competition is fierce, and she likely won't even hit level 10+ until after you've used up the second one on someone else anyway.

Edit: Oh yeah her durability is kinda terrible and avo isn't all that reliable in this game unless you're promoted clarine on a tree or something or she's superoverleveled like that time where she had to pretend to be Rutger and thus gained levels like a Rutger and even grew defense like a Rutger

I forgot to type that in but I did factor it herp so rating's still unchanged

Being unpromoted with an Iron sword is good Douglas bait so I don't see third crest as too much problematic, since she can be useful at 20/0---//shot

5.5 + 1 bias for pretending to be Rutger on my girls only run = 6.5.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Fir's crithappy from the moment she joins, and gets the sexy HM Bonuses. With a Wo Dao in Axefest, she obliterates... everything.

She's a glass cannon, which sucks, but a great backup Swordmaster since the only other SM in this game is lolkarel.

8/10, includes a bias point.

Badder

I elect to throw this vote out just because of the terrible grammar that is showing in that post.

Anyway, Fir...

...I think we all know I secretly hate Fir to a point. Maybe a lot of it had to do with Inui hyping her to high hell and back, and a lot of other people just ignoring earlygame when Lot existed. I digress, though, Fir really isn't terrible. Just my vendetta is strong with her.

To start, she comes with "okay" bases. No, her Str growth isn't really that big of a deal to me. 8.8 Str and a 25% Str growth seems terrible, but remember that she's also in probably one of the most insane classes in the game. Sporting 30% crit is just what helps alleviate the poor Str stat. It's the durability that will always, and forever, kind of bother me. Now I know what you're thinking, "but you like Mia, Colonel, and her durability isn't hot either." Mia isn't smashed to pieces by things and can get a good support with Earth.

Fir has 24.6 HP | 4.2 Def with growths at 75% and 15%, respectively. As I demonstrated in a debate, Fir has a pretty reasonable CoD even in the Western Isles, and it only gets worse outside of there. Even in Ilia, FalcoKnights can nearly nuke her with roughly 35% CoD in two hits and what not. Sacae is a little kinder to her, but she's only capable of doing things at one range and some of the 1 range enemies are nasty (Swordmaster in Chapter 20). By the way, she loves 40 Atk Wyvern Lords. Loves the hell out of them!

Let's go back to that offense. For a good amount of time, her offense can be really rocky. Once that Wo Dao snaps, she's stuck with either Iron or Steel. Iron lets her hit enemies all right (as WTA and doubling helps), but Steel Sword can constantly miss the mark for doubling. A Level 5 Fir drops down to 10 AS with the Steel Sword. It's not bad, but we're talking AS that looks comparable to Lot for example. It's nothing pretty, sadly.

I guess she has potential, but when you're fighting for Hero Crests, fighting to level up, fighting to even become "decent", and bring nothing that is really "extra" to the table, it kind of sucks. I guess she's okay if you want to use her over Rutger, but the durability will always come back to bite you over and over again unless you go crazy with Angelic Robes and consider investing a Dracoshield on her.

So my final rating?

4/10, and I take away a -0.5 bias because fuck Inui, so a 3.5/10 seems sufficient.

P.S. Nothing remotely funny because I take this one pretty seriously. Narga stop overrating her.......... come to the dark side with me.

Edited by Colonel M

Fir joins at L1 in Chapter 9, toting a Wo Dao. While on the surface she stands to have potential use, you have to consider several things:

1) her growths are all skill and speed, and that's about it. While she has a usable Str base, that will quickly fall away with only 25% growth.

2) sword use in the Isles isn't as great as people seem to think it is. A good majority of the axe users you face will have a hand axe. Not to mention that even with her exceptional Speed, she can't take more than 1 hit before killed.

3) yet another foot unit in a land of large maps, not to mention that very hotly contested for Hero Crest. By the time she shows up, you've already got Lot, Ward, Dieck, Rutger and Oujay who may want one, not to mention the upcoming Gonzales and Geese in the very next chapter. Chances are you've already used one crest on Rutger to get past Henning as well, and getting Rutger to a throne can sometimes be an exercise in frustration without wasting too much time.

Finally you also have to consider the time spent feeding Fir kills to get to promotion level. While she does level up rather quickly, you're still diverting units to feed her exp (she doesn't have much chance of ORKOing things) which can hinder a fast clear if planned poorly, not to mention keeping her alive. Her evasion is great, but not completely impenetrable, and you do have to take some care with her placement.

Once promoted she can be a somewhat viable unit. Her evasion is through the roof, and can even be boosted further with supports. Offensively she is still lacking in terms of damage, and while having substantial speed and the ability to pretty much double most things outside Sacae, and likely crit 1 out of 2 attacks, she is still sword locked and still frail.

With all this in mind, I have to give Fir a 4/10.

She is as much better than Oujay as she is worse than anyone worth actually using. Her offensive bases are good, but her defense is bad. Still she's fast and gets 30 critical on promotion. God knows when she'll ever manage a promotion but the results are better than what you get with a lot of people.

I used Fir in my previous playtrough to see what all the fuss was about. She was speed screwed so I'll already start with a -0.5 bias point.

25% strenght growth, 15% defense growth and 5 con are all horrible.

Her bases are alright and starting in axe land makes it a little easier to train her, but she won't round anything one her own unless your wasting the wo doa.

In my opinion she's a mediocre unit who's saved by the swordmasters awesome critical bonus.

3.5/10

Unlike a lot of the units in FE6 that join underleveled, Fir actually gets a decent payoff. She can double with high accuracy and has high natural crit after promotion. Too bad she has fairly low durability and her Str growth isn't so good.

5/10

4/10

I like her, but her strength growth is kinda terrible. She also lacks a horse so that is annoying. But she is a critical machine, so she can at least do something... and she has a cute pairing with Noah.