Remaking the Thracia Translation Patch

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#21 Guy Starwind

Guy Starwind

I don't hunt, I kill.

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Genealogy of the Holy War

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:12 AM

I'm playing it for my first time and the main story seems fine. It's the menus and item descriptions that are a tad bit of a bother.

#22 Onmi

Onmi

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Sword of Seals

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:16 AM

Both.

Posted Image

can't find an image of the broken menus at the moment, but they do exist. there's a lot of garbled/junk text however. and as Banzai said the translation is just BAD.

Edited by Onmi, 31 March 2012 - 02:35 AM.

#23 Celice

Celice

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:N/A

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:42 AM

If one could provide translations for the options on the left and the stats in the top-right, I'll look at the game tomorrow, if no one else will.

#24 Heyeyey

Heyeyey

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:48 AM

If one could provide translations for the options on the left and the stats in the top-right, I'll look at the game tomorrow, if no one else will.

If I remember right, that pic is the menu translation, not the story translation. Meaning, most menus are functional. Other than that screen, all menus should be translated.

Now, if you could merge the text for the story, with the text for the menus, you'd be golden.

#25 Onmi

Onmi

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:56 AM

Right Stats

Leader (Of your army)
Leadership Stars
Movement Stars
Rescued
Movement
Fatigue
Status

Upper Left

Attack Critical
Hit % Evasion
Range

If I remember right, that pic is the menu translation, not the story translation. Meaning, most menus are functional. Other than that screen, all menus should be translated.

Now, if you could merge the text for the story, with the text for the menus, you'd be golden.

Opposite, that's the Story Translation, the Menu Translation looks like this

Posted Image

Edited by Onmi, 31 March 2012 - 03:00 AM.

#26 Heyeyey

Heyeyey

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:59 AM

I would recommend making it look like...

ATT - CRIT
HIT - EVA
RNG

But that's probably obvious. Maybe ignore me.

#27 Onmi

Onmi

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:09 AM

We could also stand to get rid of the words sitting over the stat bars

Posted Image

#28 Balcerzak

Balcerzak

eclipse

• Global Moderator
  • Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Blazing Sword

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:25 AM

An abundance of the various broken menus. I obviously am missing a bunch, and can provide descriptions and stuff later.

http://imgur.com/a/DXyNC

#29 Othin

Othin

Trapped in Biden's time machine

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Awakening

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:30 AM

While we're at it, how about we fix the goddamn weapon names? Any patch with weapon names like "Silver" and "Lightnin" is absolute shit that should never purport itself to be a translation. We either need a way to get the names to fit or a better way of abbreviating them.

#30 Onmi

Onmi

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:07 AM

While we're at it, how about we fix the goddamn weapon names? Any patch with weapon names like "Silver" and "Lightnin" is absolute shit that should never purport itself to be a translation. We either need a way to get the names to fit or a better way of abbreviating them.

Slv Sword?
Irn Sword?
Stl Sword?
And just have their descriptions fill you in on the names proper? or "A sword made out of Iron" For the Light Sword etc. we can abbreviate it the other way Light Swd, Fire Swd. And with the XL weapons we should just call them the Blades. I agree with you that it's really freaking dumb

Or judging from one of the screens I posted, smaller text should be possible, so it would be entirely possible to fit the weapons proper name in. Then again I'm a rookie hacker at the best of times, so I don't know what is or is not possible

#31 Othin

Othin

Trapped in Biden's time machine

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Awakening

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

Stl and Slvr were used in FE10; I think they're reasonable enough abbreviations, and they're clear enough. Hopefully we can get the ten characters necessary to use Iron and Slvr instead of Irn and Svr. I've seen "Lightnin" used in some translations, which indicates a limit of eight characters, which is a bit low; hopefully we can use text small enough to get up to at least ten. Although for that particular spell I'm sure we could get away with just changing it to "Light" if necessary.

And yeah, "Swd" and "Lnc" should be workable for when we don't have better options. I mean, I'd hope we can get weapon names not quite as compressed as "Slvr Swd", but at least it's a passable alternative that could pass for content in an actual game rather than just looking like sloppy and lazy tacked-on content.

#32 General Banzai

General Banzai

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Sacred Stones

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:42 AM

I recall that for the FE12 translation somebody managed to make squished text in order to get the longer weapon names to fit. Would that work here? Because I agree, having five or six different weapons all named "Iron" is really annoying.

Another thing that is in garbled moonspeak that I know of off the top of my head is the box that comes up whenever you level up Movement (including when you use the statbooster for it) and whenever your weapon rank increases.

Also someone be sure to get a picture of the battle information window that comes up (the one that tells you how much damage you will do to the enemy and visa versa). That's similarly garbled and should be fixed ASAP. It's annoying especially because you have to subtract enemy def from your atk (the game doesn't do it for you) so knowing which numbers are which is critical.

Barat (Boss of Chapter 20) has a battle quote that is also untranslated, although that can wait for the moment.

#33 Balcerzak

Balcerzak

eclipse

• Global Moderator

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:18 PM

Barat (Boss of Chapter 20) has a battle quote that is also untranslated, although that can wait for the moment.

There's a whole village dialogue untranslated in Ch20 as well, IIRC.

Anyway, there's the battle preview window. I assumed it would be cleared up when the proper Defense etc. stat names were cleared up as well because the mojibake is identical, but perhaps that's wishful thinking. Same with the "anim up" report on proccing movement, because it uses the same mojibake as the movement stat.

Posted Image

Edited by Balcerzak, 31 March 2012 - 12:18 PM.

#34 dondon151

dondon151

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Thracia 776

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:31 PM

Is there a way to use the small font instead of the large font for menus?

EDIT: I mean, including the weapon names and stuff, so things like "Silver Sword" might actually fit in its entirety.

Edited by dondon151, 31 March 2012 - 12:58 PM.

#35 VincentASM

VincentASM

Heartbunny Muse

• Administrator
  • Favorite Fire Emblem Game:New Mystery of the Emblem

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:38 PM

I may have remembered incorrectly, but the menu font is fixed width, so if you want smaller text in the menus, you have to draw special tiles for them, like "Attack" spread over 3 tiles. Which is what I think Shaya did for the map commands.

There's no such problem with the dialogue font though and, fortunately, FE12 doesn't have this problem : P

#36 dondon151

dondon151

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Thracia 776

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:53 PM

That's a damn shame =( Is there at least a way to make the menu font less ugly?

#37 Jediabiwan

Jediabiwan

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Genealogy of the Holy War

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:22 PM

Right Stats

Leader (Of your army)
Leadership Stars
Movement Stars
Rescued
Movement
Fatigue
Status

Upper Left

Attack Critical
Hit % Evasion
Range

Opposite, that's the Story Translation, the Menu Translation looks like this

Posted Image

It looks very nice, but I can't stand that the class name goes over the portrait. Abbreviations like Swd. Master would be nice to fix this.

#38 Agro

Agro

ilyana as a japanese schoolgirl

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Radiant Dawn

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:35 PM

Yeah, all of the menu texts are fixed width, so what Shaya essentially did was overwrite the kanji with English letters, which is why you get the weird "Swap" and "Danc" things in the battle stats, and is also why the names are only ever 5-6 characters long, and also why the item names are so short. So unless someone can figure out how to make variable-width font for the menus, which would probably require some hardcore hacking, then we can't do an awful lot for the patch.

That being said, I would love to help out with translations if I ever get FE13's text finished.

#39 Celice

Celice

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

There's more than enough space for squishes and abbreviations, if you don't think you're capable of extending how many tiles are shown. The menu character set begins at 39CE80. I think my game had a header, don't remember if it's the v.rom or np version. Make sure you view the data with the generic "gameboy" format. Nintendo used this to conserve space when it didn't feel like compression.

Posted Image

Edited by Celice, 31 March 2012 - 07:45 PM.

#40 CT075

CT075

drunken hobo

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:05 AM

if i can figure out how the SNES core works (if it's ARMv4 like i'm hoping or at least something with RISC capabilities) i could attempt to do some of that "hardcore hacking" that you refer to, although i have yet to download the SNES debugger (lazy and the internet here sucks)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users