Photo

Remaking the Thracia Translation Patch

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#41 General Banzai

General Banzai

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Sacred Stones

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

Another thing we should figure out is names. The current Thracia patch doesn't even use names consistently, oftentimes switching between different spellings or translations within the same line of dialogue.

#42 Quirino

Quirino

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Radiant Dawn

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:47 AM

Are you going to make a new translation from scratch or are you going to modify Shaya's translation?

If it's the first one, you must also implement a VWF and either use dictionary compression or rom expansion (or both). Is someone here good with SNES ASM? And what programme will you use to implement text?

#43 CT075

CT075

drunken hobo

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Blazing Sword

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

As soon as I have access to a more stable internet connection than the one I have now, I'll download the SNES debugger and see what I can do with it.

To repeat what I said before, if it's an ARMv4 (I can live with v3, v1/2 might be an issue for me) computer with a RISC core, I should be able to work a few things.

(also, for the most part, all ASM is essentially the same - all that changes is the amount of it and how expansive the instruction set is; for example ARM can handle commands like strneb (store single byte if not equal) whereas in THUMB you have to do it separately [beq pastThis; strb args - translates to "skip this if equal otherwise store byte")

#44 Onmi

Onmi

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Sword of Seals

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:55 AM

Another thing we should figure out is names. The current Thracia patch doesn't even use names consistently, oftentimes switching between different spellings or translations within the same line of dialogue.

Shouldn't we just go off the Wiki/Serenes name list? Honestly I am not TOO concerned with 'Localizing' the names unless it's preventing something like 'Yurius' from popping up again.'

Leaf
Fin
Othin
Halvan
Evayle
Dagda
Tania
Marty
Ronan
Safy
Rifis
Machua
Brighton
Lara
Felgus
Karin
Dalsin
Asvel
Nanna
Hicks
Shiva
Carrion
Selphina
Kein
Alva
Robert
Fred
Olwen
Mareeta
Salem
Pahn
Trewd
Tina
Glade
Dean
Eda
Homeros
Linoan
Ralph
Eyrios
Sleuf
Misha
Sara
Shanam
Miranda
Xavier
Amalda
Conomore
Delmud
Cyas
Sety
Galzus

Are you going to make a new translation from scratch or are you going to modify Shaya's translation?

If it's the first one, you must also implement a VWF and either use dictionary compression or rom expansion (or both). Is someone here good with SNES ASM? And what programme will you use to implement text?

I am an editor, first and foremost. I say so long as we have a concise script somewhere, I have no problems being one of the people making sure it sounds RIGHT. And I do think instead of one of us going over the chapters all on our lonesome, that we segment them between one another, and then trade them around.

Edited by Onmi, 01 April 2012 - 11:57 AM.

#45 CT075

CT075

drunken hobo

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

I am an editor, first and foremost. I say so long as we have a concise script somewhere, I have no problems being one of the people making sure it sounds RIGHT. And I do think instead of one of us going over the chapters all on our lonesome, that we segment them between one another, and then trade them around.

I think he's asking if we have an actual text editor (a program that modifies the in-game text) handy.

Edited by Camtech, 01 April 2012 - 12:00 PM.

#46 Onmi

Onmi

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

I think he's asking if we have an actual text editor (a program that modifies the in-game text) handy.

OH! Oh...

... Maybe? I don't think we do otherwise me (Or Klok, or hell even Banzai) would already have cracked it open

EDIT: No wait I was only responding to the first part of his post, are we re-translating or modifying Shaya's

Edited by Onmi, 01 April 2012 - 12:05 PM.

#47 dondon151

dondon151

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Thracia 776

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

hey guys

i don't like fred's name

we should call him vergil instead

and fuck let's just rename olwen to dante for the hell of it because we can

Edited by dondon151, 01 April 2012 - 12:40 PM.

#48 CT075

CT075

drunken hobo

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:41 PM

i vote to change leaf's name to reevu

because i can

Edited by Camtech, 01 April 2012 - 12:41 PM.

#49 dondon151

dondon151

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

leaf can be keanu

#50 Renall

Renall

The 14th Amendment Does Not Bar Dancer Discrimination

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:15 PM

As long as it isn't fucking "Felgus" you can call everybody else whatever you want.

Also, please correct all the province names to the proper Irish spellings just to troll people.

#51 CT075

CT075

drunken hobo

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:33 PM

velugast

oh i know

how about vergil

#52 Bee

Bee

Bee

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Genealogy of the Holy War

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:49 PM

Also, please correct all the province names to the proper Irish spellings just to troll people.

While you are at it why not change Cuan's name to Quinn and Leaf's to Lief?

#53 Celice

Celice

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:N/A

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:03 PM

There's some example code for how to implement a VWF routine pretty much anywhere (65c816) on romhacking dot net, and other places. Enough people kept working on them that a couple people just decided to make a simple generic example code to imitate/utilise. There might be some example routines for the Z80 too.

#54 Renall

Renall

The 14th Amendment Does Not Bar Dancer Discrimination

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

While you are at it why not change Cuan's name to Quinn and Leaf's to Lief?

I believe Cúan is actually an acceptable Irish given name. Cuinn would be closer spelling to Gaelic-Irish anyway than Quinn, which is English-Irish.

When I said the Irish province names, I didn't mean the entirely reasonable correction of Lenster to Leinster, Alster to Ulster, Conote to Connacht, Manster to Munster, Meese/Mease to Meath, etc.; no, I mean Alster to Ulaidh, Lenster to Laighin, Manster to Mhumhain, and Connacht to... okay, you win this round, England.

EDIT: Also I'm okay with leaving Leaf the way it is because "Leif" is Scandinavian. Then again, it wouldn't be the first example of split-derivation naming (Lachesis, a Greek name, gives her son a Gaelic name and her daughter a Norse one, sure why not).

Edited by Renall, 01 April 2012 - 03:16 PM.

#55 Jediabiwan

Jediabiwan

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

While it would nice to be more accurate, I would prefer if most of the names of locations and characters matched the FE4 translation patch. Since we aren't redoing that one two it would nice it it was consistent so I know what they're talking about. I have no part in this so it doesn't really matter what i want tho.

#56 Bee

Bee

Bee

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:42 PM

While it would nice to be more accurate, I would prefer if most of the names of locations and characters matched the FE4 translation patch. Since we aren't redoing that one two it would nice it it was consistent so I know what they're talking about. I have no part in this so it doesn't really matter what i want tho.

Yeah true, using the FE4 names would be for the best since that is what your average person who played a Jugdral game knows.

#57 General Banzai

General Banzai

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Sacred Stones

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:11 PM

For names, I would go with:

Leaf
Finn
Othin
Halvan
Evayle
Dagda
Tania
Marty
Ronan
Saphy
Rifis
Machua
Brighton
Lara
Fergus
Karin
Dalshin
Asvel
Nanna
Hicks
Shiva
Carrion
Selphina
Kane
Alba
Robert
Fred
Olwen
Marita
Salem
Pahn
Trude
Tina
Glade
Dean
Eda
Homeros
Linoan
Ralph
Eyrios/Olson
Sleuf
Misha
Sarah
Shanam
Miranda
Xavier
Amalda
Conomore
Delmud
Cyas
Sety
Galzus

Weissmann
Bucks
Lobos
Bandol
Truman
Eisenhower
Rumay
Gomez
Marlock
Tobolza
Largo
Kempf
Oltof
Collo
Rist
Baldack
Paulus
Macloy
Coda
Eigan
Zale
Brook
Moore
Nikolov
Mueller
Rinecock
Palman
Gustav
Wolf
Barrett
Semetol
Flaus
Zoam
Rinehart
Cohen
Alphan
Varden
Corutta
Leidrick
Zwolf
Zwei
Elf
Funf
Eins
Drei
Veld

Hermes (Karin's Pegasus)
Lugh Faris (Leaf's fake name in Ch 7)

Lucia
Romeo
Jebel
Emily
Cliff
Bella
Lena
Bowie
Mafy
Peter
Rosa
Serra

August
Dorias
Hannibal
Corple
Blume
Ishtar
Ishtore
Julius
Manfroy
Trabant
Altenna
Areone
Aida
Alvis
Vampa
Liza
Hilda
Celice
Julia
Levin
Fee
Lachesis
Cuan
Ethlin
Shanan
Claude
Tinny
Ethnia
Patricia
Briggid
Beowulf
Aless

I think that is all the character names that are in Thracia; I scanned the script and may have missed some. I made no radical changes and I hope that nobody will find anything objectionable to this list.

Place names are a different story, though. On one hand, Manster/Alster/Lenster are clearly based on the Irish provinces of Munster/Ulster/Leinster, respectively; but also there's the problem that there's a world map which lists them all as the incorrect (and more familiar) names.

I can see arguments for both translations, and currently I'm leaning towards keeping the current names (Manster etc).

EDIT: I also agree with trying to keep consistent with the FE4 patch names, with perhaps a few exceptions.

Edited by General Banzai, 01 April 2012 - 04:15 PM.

#58 Kloknihater

Kloknihater

Bolm Lhef Arol Zenf Elda, Ixxo Tiev!

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

Weissman should totally be Wiseman.

#59 Celice

Celice

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:N/A

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:30 PM

Leif has as many spellings as pronounciations, if one wants to investigate a spelling for him.
http://quod.lib.umic...=id&id=MED24975

Edited by Celice, 01 April 2012 - 06:32 PM.

#60 Othin

Othin

Trapped in Biden's time machine

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Awakening

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:00 PM

Weissman should totally be Wiseman.

Vaiiiisssssman.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users