Rate the Unit, Day 5: Rhys

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 Sunwoo

Sunwoo

This is the Monado's power!

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Path of Radiance

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

Rhys is your first healer, showing up in chapter 2. This guy REALLY shouldn't be getting attacked. He has 0 defense at base. His HP isn't - that - great either. And he has 5 speed at base, so his dodge isn't all that reliable either! But hey ... if your healers are getting attacked, you're doing it wrong. He has a good magic base and growth, plus resistance base and growth, so he will heal lots of HP in one turn and he can take magical attacks and not take as much damage as the other units you have at this point.

Also, since PoR has BEXP and automatic promotion healers can actually keep up in levels and promote in a more timely manner, should you choose to. Unfortunately, Rhys' combat is kind of a joke. He will get weighed down by anything other than forges because his magic is poor and light magic is a tad heavy (ironic, isn't it? Light is heavy), and his speed will always be pretty bad without a band and speedwings. He can hit hard, once, from a distance so other units can pick off what he kills. Or he can be a finisher if no one else is available.

I give him a 6/10. He's pretty much the only staff user for a few earlygame chapters and you'll probably want to keep him around for a few chapters even after you get Mist. Loses points for fail durability and poor combat.

#22 Sara.

Sara.

Obligatory Parent of SF

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Blazing Sword

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:31 PM

Micaiah, Laura, Sanaki, and Lehran all use Light Magic in RD.

I'll give Rhys a 6/10, he's really needed in earlygame because of Ike, Boyd, Soren, and Mia all getting hurt frequently. He's your only healer until Mist as well. He has the durability of a wet tissue, but he has decent dodging skills, and this is FE9HM. The enemies aren't that tough.

I didn't mean exclusively in the sequel, I just meant exclusively in PoR.

#23 The_Purple_Knight

The_Purple_Knight

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Gaiden

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

8/10 pretty good healer but that's all he is, he's slow and has paper defenses .So combat is out of the question. Still its nice to have a dedicated healer . Oh and plus 1 bias

Edited by The_Purple_Knight, 31 March 2012 - 07:18 PM.

#24 NTNP

NTNP

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:53 PM

I'd give Rhys a solid 5. As many others have said, for the first part of the game he is the best healer available and until post chapter 18, probably deserves a deployment slot. However once other magical units promote and gain access to staves, he tends to be easily forgotten due to his lack luster offensive ability and poor physical defense compared to the various sages you could have by then. If the game was a little harder, high level staffs weren't quiet as useless (the lack of warp for example) or if Rhys had an extra +2 base speed and strength he could have been scored much higher and more useable throughout the entire game.

Edited by NTNP, 31 March 2012 - 04:55 PM.

#25 Lord Raven

Lord Raven

FESSer

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

Micaiah, Laura, Sanaki, and Lehran all use Light Magic in RD.

I took it as him being light-only for both, and not as being the only light user.

I don't see why he's getting more than a 5, after Chapter 9 your units are no longer frail.

#26 bottlegnomes

bottlegnomes

Lord of the Gnomes-a-Plenty

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

9/10

Healers are invaluable regardless of the game, Rhys is your only healer until chapter 9, and Mist is so weak at healing for a while. Until she promotes he's unquestionably better than her, even afterwards, only tier players adore Mist and even THEN Rhys is far from useless or awful. Awesome healing range, powerful heals, essential role, I would honestly rank him higher than Titania since, even though she is powerful, the team can survive without her easily enough. Rhys, on the other hand, if the team isn't abusing Titania, makes it a lot harder to function without him.

Lies! I love her.

Anyway, once I had Rhys cap speed around 20/10, possibly lower, which he reached rather early to loads of physic spam; his def and strength weren't bad either, above average on bot. It was awesome. But this isn't the time for PE. Anyway, as said, he's got serious durability issues and his combat is rather mediocre. Healing is always nice, but he's rather easily replaced by people with better durability, combat, or both, and while bexp helps him keep up if you actually want to use him, it also helps him become unnecessary even more quickly.

6 sound fair.

#27 Levant Caprice

Levant Caprice

Mad RF fan. And maybe mad in general due to Einst influence.

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Awakening

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:23 PM

9/10

Healers are invaluable regardless of the game, Rhys is your only healer until chapter 9, and Mist is so weak at healing for a while. Until she promotes he's unquestionably better than her, even afterwards, only tier players adore Mist and even THEN Rhys is far from useless or awful. Awesome healing range, powerful heals, essential role, I would honestly rank him higher than Titania since, even though she is powerful, the team can survive without her easily enough. Rhys, on the other hand, if the team isn't abusing Titania, makes it a lot harder to function without him.

Bold: What a bold faced lie.

Regardless, Rhys's problem is that he's easily replaceable once other magical units start promoting (though he still has staff rank over them).

Edited by Metal King Slime, 31 March 2012 - 05:24 PM.

#28 PJSalt

PJSalt

Saltbirds

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:New Mystery of the Emblem

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

9/10. Healers are invaluable regardless of the game, Rhys is your only healer until chapter 9, and Mist is so weak at healing for a while. Until she promotes he's unquestionably better than her, even afterwards, only tier players adore Mist and even THEN Rhys is far from useless or awful. Awesome healing range, powerful heals, essential role, I would honestly rank him higher than Titania since, even though she is powerful, the team can survive without her easily enough. Rhys, on the other hand, if the team isn't abusing Titania, makes it a lot harder to function without him.

Oh God...not sure if serious or trolling, but im not counting this. It was reasonable until you brought up rhys being better than titania...ive gone through the game without rhys in practically all my playthroughs. While i cant imagine myself getting through the first 9 chapters without titania.

#29 Sara.

Sara.

Obligatory Parent of SF

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Blazing Sword

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:36 PM

Oh God...not sure if serious or trolling, but im not counting this. It was reasonable until you brought up rhys being better than titania...ive gone through the game without rhys in practically all my playthroughs. While i cant imagine myself getting through the first 9 chapters without titania.

I think his point is that without tits, Rhys is a lot more pertinent to success.

#30 PJSalt

PJSalt

Saltbirds

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:New Mystery of the Emblem

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:39 PM

I think his point is that without tits, Rhys is a lot more pertinent to success.

Sure, without tits, rhys might be better. But tits still exists so rhys is not needed.

Edited by General Haarace, 31 March 2012 - 05:40 PM.

#31 Exiledwolf

Exiledwolf

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Sacred Stones

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:47 PM

Oh Rhys. The first healer in the game. Too bad you have a bad speed growth. Not seeing you double for like ever. Yeah sure light magic is great, but he doesnt have the Strength to wield it without weighing him down. His speed and AS suffers more. Overkill Mag and Res for staves first part of the game is cool, props for that. So, all in all, never put in him range of enemies, Posted Image...

Anyways, +Heal, +Existant MAG growth, -Speed, -getting one shotted in later chapters.

Overall: 3.5/10

#32 Swordsalmon

Swordsalmon

The most hated member of Serenes Forest.

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Thracia 776

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:00 PM

Staff utility isn't very useful in Path of Radiance, and he doesn't have much in the way of stats or supports. :/

4/10

#33 bottlegnomes

bottlegnomes

Lord of the Gnomes-a-Plenty

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:40 PM

Bold: What a bold faced lie.

Regardless, Rhys's problem is that he's easily replaceable once other magical units start promoting (though he still has staff rank over them).

Icwutudidthar

#34 Levant Caprice

Levant Caprice

Mad RF fan. And maybe mad in general due to Einst influence.

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:01 PM

TBH, I don't quite get why people talk about healing not being useful in PoR... It just sounds like this sweeping generalization IMO.

#35 Agro

Agro

ilyana as a japanese schoolgirl

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Radiant Dawn

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:27 PM

7/10 - great healer with that base Magic of 8, but Mist and Soren and any other mage you promote will eventually overshadow him. His speed isn't high enough for his offense to be great, even if he can use every Light tome on promotion. Still, he makes for a good staffbot for any chapter you bring him into.

#36 Epic Fail

Epic Fail

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Thracia 776

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:31 PM

TBH, I don't quite get why people talk about healing not being useful in PoR... It just sounds like this sweeping generalization IMO.

It's because PoR is so hilariously easy. My first three runthroughs of the game, I never used him or Mist.

Anyho, Rhys. Like I just said, staff utility has never been worth less. High mag is good, but 0 DEF with 25% (or 20%, either way, it's the same as Boyd and Largo, oddly) is not. Coupled with the fact that he isn't especially quick and has terrible STR (0 base again) means his offense after promotion is gonna be pretty sad. 6/10, he's useful, but superfluous.

#37 Excellen Browning

Excellen Browning

The new Narga

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Genealogy of the Holy War

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:41 PM

That's because it isn't so useful.

Things that make PoR easier, from biggest effect to smallest:

1. Titania
2. Earth Supports
3. Staffing

Basically all you use it for is some random healing and curing statuses.

#38 Lord Raven

Lord Raven

FESSer

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:58 PM

And Elincia w/ Rescue

#39 Soran Ibrahim

Soran Ibrahim

CHUCKLES

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:20 PM

itt snowy waxes his severe case of butthurt over the debating crowd "loving" Mist

Anyway, 5/10 from me; he's a good healer early on, but becomes a liability later what with his frailty and inability to keep up.

#40 The_Purple_Knight

The_Purple_Knight

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Gaiden

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:47 AM

I hate LTC and efficiency with an intense passion but even I'll admit mist is a much better staff bot then Rhys and I really like his character .