Rate the Unit, Day 5: Rhys

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 PKL

PKL

WOW

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:New Mystery of the Emblem

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:33 AM

Dat Rules (borrowed/stolen from Integrity)
- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode+Fixed Mode.
- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.
+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.
- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.
- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.
- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.
- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.
- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.
- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "she brings a Knight Ward to the team" as an argument.
- BEXP is free to be used in any quantity on any character.
- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

Averages:
Boyd: 8.293
Ike: 8.567
Oscar: 9.075
Titania: 9.91

Edited by General Haarace, 31 March 2012 - 06:41 AM.

#2 ZMę

ZMę

hijacked temporarily by saigyouji yuyuko

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Blazing Sword

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:46 AM

Great healer early on, but not much to say about his combat, since I only promoted him a few times in all my playhtroughs, but never really used him. All I remember is that he can't double ANYTHING. Best keep him with staves.

7/10

#3 Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby

'Dat Castle

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Genealogy of the Holy War

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:59 AM

Early staffbot.

4/10, because Boyd, Mia and Ike have shaky def.

#4 Vile Miscreation

Vile Miscreation

I just don't care about myself anymore...

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Sacred Stones

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:04 AM

The first staffbot is just decent for my books.

He's physically fragile; although he'll laugh at the magical-based enemies. Now, if only his combat wasn't that too mediocre.

#5 Hawk King

Hawk King

Cherche is classy.

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Sacred Stones

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

He is useful in early game for healing AND he has enough weight to shove all of the non-mounted GM except Gatrie. After that, its hard for him to earn a deployment slot. If trained to LV 20 before promoting he can have useful combat/durability once you get the Nosferatu tome, however it would cost quite a bit of Bexp to get him to LV 20 and Nosferatu has limited uses...

4.5/10 - He's not useless, i've just never had much use for him.

#6 Gyarados

Gyarados

The new Narga

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:14 AM

One of two primary healers in this game. The other being Mist. Earliest healer and much appreciated for this, but faces heavy competition for the staff EXP and doesn't stand in any ways other than being the sole Light magic user and earliest healer.

5/10 seems fair for this guy.

#7 Levant Caprice

Levant Caprice

<3

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Awakening

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:14 AM

If trained to LV 20 before promoting he can have useful combat/durability once you get the Nosferatu tome

Except for the part where Nosferatu destroys Rhys's AS to the point of getting doubled...

That aside, 5/10. He's useful early on, but doesn't really stand out in many ways. While promoting gets him light magic, it's too bad light magic sucks horribly in FE9... And his support situation isn't too good either.

Edited by Metal King Slime, 31 March 2012 - 06:03 PM.

#8 Sara.

Sara.

Obligatory Parent of SF

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:39 AM

Obligatory healer, in a game where he represents half of the healers.

6 for being first, +.5 for me liking his character, and +.25 for using light magic exclusively in this, and the sequel.

#9 Lord Raven

Lord Raven

FESSer

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Path of Radiance

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:17 AM

3/10, pretty bad offense after promotion and can't use a staff like Rescue effectively due to crappy movement. crappy movement in general and dies... on the other hand, he's your only early game healer.

#10 Gone2Ground

Gone2Ground

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:41 AM

Only Light user in the game, which is worth at least +1...if Light didn't suck.
Additionally, his DEF is horrible, and he's not going to dodge enough of the time.
3/10

#11 Renall

Renall

The 14th Amendment Does Not Bar Dancer Discrimination

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Thracia 776

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:57 AM

He's a staffbot with all that entails. Has to be watched over in some of the tougher early missions but he heals you in said missions so it balances out. The only Light user promoted. Unfortunately Light sucks in this game and he's not that great at using it.

5/10

#12 Loki Laufeyson

Loki Laufeyson

Dio Brando's Yellow Pants

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:21 PM

Rhys, that sickly guy who heals junk.

Pros:
Early game healer.
Only one who can use light magic.
Has a level lead over the other healer. (and kind of a big one)
Res up the wizzwazz.
Staff rank.

Cons:
No Speed Rhys is what they call him.
Squishier than a wet tissue.
Low move.

Rhys is pretty useful when you get him. Hes like, the only guy doing that shiz until Mist shows up. And even when Mist shows up, hes probably doing it better than she is for the time being. Unlike Mist though, he doesnt get a cool horse when he promotes. So hes always gonna be kinda lagging behind, which is bad for someone who wants to heal the vanguard but cant get away from the shit being tossed at him. He can use light magic and is the only guy who can but...is it worth it? Maybe, if you give him a band that allows for speed growth (and maybe strength). His supports arent much to write home about either. I actually do prefer Mist because of her promotion and shiz over Rhys. Hes just hard to use for me. Besides Soren staffbots pretty well too. Rhys will have staff rank above the rest but Mist can reach it too. (Soren does crazy crap with a mere heal staff due to that high magic but again..cross that bridge....)

Bro gets a 6/10. Good for what he does but depending on playstyle, he may get the bench after a while. (No bias score)

#13 Snowy_One

Snowy_One

Free

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:59 PM

9/10

Healers are invaluable regardless of the game, Rhys is your only healer until chapter 9, and Mist is so weak at healing for a while. Until she promotes he's unquestionably better than her, even afterwards, only tier players adore Mist and even THEN Rhys is far from useless or awful. Awesome healing range, powerful heals, essential role, I would honestly rank him higher than Titania since, even though she is powerful, the team can survive without her easily enough. Rhys, on the other hand, if the team isn't abusing Titania, makes it a lot harder to function without him.

#14 BrightBow

BrightBow

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:03 PM

Well, as stated he is a wet tissue. His combat is not only bad, but you might not actually want him to use a tome since he has no Str so he might actually risk getting doubled... Therefore even the fact that nobody else can use Light tomes and that the rank is linked to his staff rank, doesn't help him. At all.
On the other hand, Mist really is pretty much the only other healer available. The mages don't get staffs until promotion and I found them annoying to train. And none of the promotable Sages can use staffs.
I guess the same person who came up with that whole thing about Sages and knifes is probably also responsible for making the S-Rank Light tome an near undroppable item in the hands of a Bishop in movement range of the Final Boss.

Anyway, since I can't do without having at least 2 healers, Rhys gets plenty of opportunity to make himself useful even after Mist gets a Pony (Or is it a horse? I'm no expert.). His movement is a bit of a pain but that's what those ranged heal-staff thingies are for.

8,5/10

+1 bias for being a member of the mercs.

Edited by BrightBow, 31 March 2012 - 03:10 PM.

#15 Levant Caprice

Levant Caprice

<3

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:16 PM

I guess the same person who came up with that whole thing about Sages and knifes is probably also responsible for making the S-Rank Light tome an near undroppable item in the hands of a Bishop in movement range of the Final Boss.

Anyway, since I can't do without having at least 2 healers, Rhys gets plenty of opportunity to make himself useful even after Mist gets a Pony (Or is it a horse? I'm no expert.). His Movement is a bit of a pain but that's what Purgatives are for.

Bold: What?

And I'd also say that same guy had the idea of making light magic suck so badly.

#16 BrightBow

BrightBow

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:19 PM

Bold: What?

And I'd also say that same guy had the idea of making light magic suck so badly.

Purgatives are the name used for these staffs in the German translation. Just got the names mixed up. I meant Physics, of course.

#17 Lord Raven

Lord Raven

FESSer

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:56 PM

Physic* because Physics and Physic are actually two different things.

#18 BrightBow

BrightBow

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:19 PM

Physic* because Physics and Physic are actually two different things.

Well, according to the always reliable source Wiktionary Physics should be fine as plural. Besides, it is not a physic. It's just something named Physic. So I think it should be okay but I suck at English so that probably doesn't saying much.
Of course if nothing else I learned never to use Physic when talking about Physics so that's definitely something useful I learned here.

Anyway, thank you. I really appreciate this.

Edited by BrightBow, 31 March 2012 - 03:25 PM.

#19 Black Frost

Black Frost

Hee Ho

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:New Mystery of the Emblem

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:41 PM

2/10 bad move and healing is really useless in this game since it's really easy to make everyone ORKO and never die

#20 Hamlet

Hamlet

Now is the winter of our discontent.

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:49 PM

using light magic exclusively in this, and the sequel.

Micaiah, Laura, Sanaki, and Lehran all use Light Magic in RD.

I'll give Rhys a 6/10, he's really needed in earlygame because of Ike, Boyd, Soren, and Mia all getting hurt frequently. He's your only healer until Mist as well. He has the durability of a wet tissue, but he has decent dodging skills, and this is FE9HM. The enemies aren't that tough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users