Rate the Unit, Day 6: Shinon

Dat Rules (borrowed/stolen from Integrity)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode+Fixed Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "she brings a Knight Ward to the team" as an argument.

- BEXP is free to be used in any quantity on any character.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

Averages:

Rhys: 5.315

Boyd: 8.293

Ike: 8.567

Oscar: 9.075

Titania: 9.91

4/10. He's the only reliable ranged attacker you have in earlygame, as Soren won't be doing much damage and Javelins and Hand Axes are too inaccurate to rely on. However, re-recruiting him is a serious pain, as it requires you to field the worst unit in the game (who chances are you didn't bother training), and his bases just suck too much to get him anywhere at that point in the game.

Edited by Metal King Slime

my theorycraft logic demands that I rate Shinon a solid 6, for actually being a competant bow user.

Reasoning? Growths and Bases

Edited by Elieson

He has great early game offense and durability (albeit for only 3 and 1/2 chapters). BUT he either doesnt exist or is useless past Chapter 7. His re-recruitment is a pain in the ass and his stats will blow since he will be coming back at LV 3 (LV 4 maybe?). In oder to make him useable you need to dump a sizable amount of Bexp into him. Also, Archers/Snipers arent a very good class.

3.5/10 - If you are hell-bent on using an archer, you are probably better off training Rolfie. At least he exists....

PROS

- Early-game

- Is decent meatshield for Soren in earlier missions.

- Not as bad as Gatrie

CONS

- Is an Archer, BENCH'D

- Comes at a high level, so steals EXP from more deserving units

- Vanishes for the next 20 levels

- Is a dick (Bias)

4/10

He's useful in earlygame because OMFGPROMOTEDUNIT YAY. Then he fucks you over and bitches out.

To rerecruit him you have to bring the worst unit in the game with you, who, odds are, you didn't train, and keep him out of danger.

Oh, and he's gonna be horribly underleveled compared to your main party.

He's better off dead, you get the Brave Bow anyway.

And I dislike him so -1.

1.5/10

1/10. Rolf is at the very least salvageable via BEXP. Shinon gets his 1 point for being helpful in the early game. and then comes back when I've had time to train up a dedicated sniper, in a game where Bows are ass, and Boyd can use them if I want a Bow user. Or Astrid, Or Geoffrey, OR ANY OF THE PALADINS.

Useless character.

Only use he has is for luring enemies away from their posts earlygame. By the time you get him back, every other bow user in the game will far surpass him. Only because he gets no improvement upon his return. Only to wind up with the same stats as before.

So.....

1.5/10

He's okay in early chapters, stops existing, then is an Archer (well, Sniper) and way behind when he finally comes back. His growths are awesome but by that point his stats are lagging behind. I suppose if you want an Archer he's good, but otherwise... ehn. It doesn't help that he only really gets a map or two to shine after coming back. Flying enemies just aren't prominent or threatening enough after the Ravens and Shiharam.

3/10

Edited by Renall

"Hi, I'm Shinon. I do really good damage in the beginning, and make an effective single-target ranged takedown man. In short, a perfect Sniper! It's too bad that I leave you right when you could probably use me the most, and then refuse to return for two-thirds of the game! Also, I'm a dick to recruit! I hope you really like me!"

1/10

Shinon, the drunk asshole of the GMs.

Pros:

Great early game.

Growths out the wizzwazz.

Hilarious support (with Gatrie)

Cons:

Leaves for like, most of the game.

Comes back as ass.

Srsly, Shinon is only good in the beginning of the game. He helps womp ass for a few chapters and then leaves. Like forever. When he comes back (with a stupid recruiting method. I mean, whos using Rolf in this game?), hes really crappy and behind. Yeah he could catch up but ehh. By that time, your guys are pretty much kicking all of the ass. Sorry Shinon....you get your chance to kick ass and it really aint in this game.

4/10.

2/10

He's useful when he's around in the beginning, but he then leaves for the majority of the game and, when he rejoins, he's not that good. It's difficult at best to get him up and going again. Better to invest the time and energy into Rolf if you want to use a sniper throughout the majority of the game. This is ignoring that Snipers kinda suck.

If Shinion never left... he'd be reasonable.

But ehh... he helps earlygame at least and if you want an archer he's still way better then Rolf considering he is far easier to baby when he comes back.

4/10 +1 because I love how great of an asshole he is.

so yeah, 5/10

He's a good unit in the four chapters you can use him in before chapter 18, but when you get him back in it (by going through one of the most stupid methods of recruitment in FE history), he's...pathetic. Sure, he comes with a brave bow, but he's definitely not gonna be seeing any use of it.

4/10, -1 bias since I hate this guy's guts. 3/10.

Sure, he comes with a brave bow, but he's definitely not gonna be seeing any use of it.

Technically, he doesn't, since he drops it once defeated.

If Shinion never left... he'd be reasonable.

But ehh... he helps earlygame at least and if you want an archer he's still way better then Rolf considering he is far easier to baby when he comes back.

4/10 +1 because I love how great of an asshole he is.

so yeah, 5/10

This but 4.5 after bias.

Shinon is ... gah. He starts off as a promoted unit early in the game when only Titania is also promoted. He may be a sniper with no 1-range, but he can kill stuff dead in the early maps he's in. He also has innate provoke, which could either be a bad thing (gets swarmed and can't counter at 1-range) or a good thing (distracts baddies from your squishy Soren and Rhys and your shaky Ike). He's pretty good at killing and taking blows for your other weaker units when he's there.

BUT ... he leaves, and he's a jerk about it too. :/: He disappears until after Ike himself is promoted. And ... he has the exact same stats he had when he went bye. So he could rejoin anywhere between being ridiculously overleveled because he ate all the kills (unlikely) and at base because he did next to nothing (very possible). He's nice to have when you're starting out, then becomes useless when you get him back. I do not like this guy at all.

2/10

(I don't do bias points, so this is a 2/10 with no bias subtracted.)

Shinon, why do you have to be such an asshole? Youre worst than frickin gatrie becausr no EP or one range. Then you disappear and return back with your awful bases. Ok you kill stuff in earlygame but thats it...

3.5/10