Rate the Unit, Day 5: Gordin

Hey, 13th? Are you going to host this again or is this up to me now?

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard 2 Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly. Also, if your vote is already a 10/10 or greater than 9 and you give a full point of bias, The score may not exceed 10!

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Each ranking phase ends from 2100 to 2200 EST. 13th May start the topic again but i am not sure. Do the math if you are in another timezone!

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "He Comes with a Free Ridersbane" as an argument.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

He Doesn't start off that Great and His Growths isn't going to do any better for him. He only contributes in earlygame so 4/10

Averages:

Marth: 6.33

Jagen: 6.98

Abel: 8.76

Cain: 8.90

Ughh... still no Shiida ;(

Doesn't get you Norne because Hard Mode skips the prologue. :< His starting stats and his growths isn't that great.

2.5/10

After this is Draug then it is Shiida! Patiencesmile.gif

His best use is bait. At least he can take one pirate attack if he's stuck with his Steel Bow. You've got much better options, in terms of archers/snipers.

3/10

2/10

On addition of the obvious fact that he is an archer and thus bowlocked unless reclassed, Gordin isn't a very spetacular unit. He can chip some damage but it's not nearly enough to kill the enemy. He also doesn't have that good of growths other than for defense. You have better choices for archers if you want them.

2/10

On addition of the obvious fact that he is an archer and thus bowlocked unless reclassed, Gordin isn't a very spetacular unit. He can chip some damage but it's not nearly enough to kill the enemy. He also doesn't have that good of growths other than for defense. You have better choices for archers if you want them.

this but I give a score of 4/10(including bias)

Why the bias? Because gaggles happened to be invaluable and awesome in one of my H5 playthroughs. That and gaggles has that funny cutscene going for him.

I legitimately like Gordin so he gets +1 right off the bat.

People who call him out for being an archer are silly; reclass exists. He has pretty okay chip at the beginning (although admittedly it's not worth as much as in H5 where uncountered chip is worth something), but once you can reclass him he gets a bit better.

Going Cav-Draco gets him some decent defense growth. I don't know how much exactly but I seem to remember those legions of Brave Weapons doing pitiful (like 3*2 or occasionally 2*4) damage when given a Dracoshield;

edit: okay i'm retarded his defense isn't that great but speed and strength stats are lower in h3 than h5 so he isn't nearly taking as much damage.

But then again his offense is never ever better than "meh" even with a forge, there are better candidates for a Master Seal so he may not even reach Draco (where his decent base defense growth really is noticeable).

I give him a 5/10.

edit

okay 35% doesn't look that impressive, but look at this:

A 20/4 Gordin (assuming he gets like one level of Archer which is not necessarily the case) has 17.4 defense, give or take like 3.5. Call it 18.5 for the sake of it. He also has 34.9 (give or take 3.5 so call it 35.5) HP.

Enemies by chapter 20 on H5 (some part of me thinks that 20/4 by then is kind of low but whatevs) have around 26 ATK, I'm gonna assume that enemies in H3 have similar attack values except without Braves. That's 8 damage a pop, or 5RKO'd. That's not exactly shabby.

Edited by Camtech

2/10

This, but with a +1 because he can bossabuse in CH1 to become a wall.

3/10

i will repeat what i said earlier

there is nothing that says that a unit must stay in his original class. Reclass exists, and in this particular case it makes a big difference. Cav-Draco!Gordin has defenses that get him 6/7RKO'd in chapter 20 (more, if you're not deflating his level like I did in my example). Not to mention that a lot of arguments seem to be "if you want an archer there are better people like Castor" which clearly violates the "no 'not X' reasoning" rule

Cam, you forget that Gordin first has to be TRAINED. Yeah, his bases as a Cavvy suck and he's stuck as an archer for the first 3 lvls. Cain has similar bases, has a better sword rank and can at least get more exp than Gordin for the first 3 chapters. There's a reason why Gordin works best in his original class. At least Gordin can use a steel bow.

So what if you reclass him to Cavvy? Gordin is too slow to do anything, 15% SPD growth is horrible. Hell, by lvl 20 he'd have got + 3 SPD, lol. xD

And if you change to draco? Its a 30% Spd growth, the same as Ogma's, and Ogma himself has a tough time doubling sometimes, on H3.

I don't mind the score you gave, but your reasoning was a little... awkward tbh.

EDIT: I understand this is assuming we're playing H2, but even then Gordin can be very underwhelming to train.

Edited by Marth

Cam, you forget that Gordin first has to be TRAINED. Yeah, his bases as a Cavvy suck and he's stuck as an archer for the first 3 lvls. Cain has similar bases, has a better sword rank and can at least get more exp than Gordin for the first 3 chapters. There's a reason why Gordin works best in his original class. At least Gordin can use a steel bow.

So what if you reclass him to Cavvy? Gordin is too slow to do anything, 15% SPD growth is horrible. Hell, by lvl 20 he'd have got + 3 SPD, lol. xD

And if you change to draco? Its a 30% Spd growth, the same as Ogma's, and Ogma himself has a tough time doubling sometimes, on H3.

I don't mind the score you gave, but your reasoning was a little... awkward tbh.

EDIT: I understand this is assuming we're playing H2, but even then Gordin can be very underwhelming to train.

nope.avi

there's an explicit rule that says "not X" is invalid, your first paragraph can be struck from the record.

one forge gets gordin to 2HKO cavs in chapter 4/5. alternately he's another ridersbane user. he's rarely doubled, and the things that do double him either do forgettable damage (myrms/mercs) or he has no business fighting them anyway (bosses)

please explain to me why a 5-move unit with cav terrain penalties and bad offense is better than a 7-move unit with cav terrain penalties and bad offense. i am dying to hear your reasoning on this, especially as i've already shown how his lack of getting countered is kind of worthless.

yes, he never ever doubles. this is why his score is a 4 without bias. forges exist, he'll never be an offensive behemoth but he can whip out an effective weapon when needed; his offense is marginally worse than most of your team's.

you also seem to be under the impression that i'm shooting from the hip. i've never had issues with gordin on h5; he shouldn't need the dracoshield i give him there. fuck, i just proved to you that even at a level that's lower than what your team average should be he's only marginally below average unit in H5.

he will never be a superman unit; that's not happening. fuck, 4/10 is probably exactly what i'd call "underwhelming". pull up some numbers and back up this 'reasoning' as i have. please.