Photo

Improving the Genealogy Translation Patch

• Please log in to reply
320 replies to this topic

#161 irtikliwT

irtikliwT

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Blazing Sword

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

If there is any disparity between regions with regards to names we would of course be going with whichever names are used in Australia (ignoring the possibility of DLC being released in the US but not here and so on).

#162 General Banzai

General Banzai

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Sacred Stones

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:37 PM

In FE3's case, the main hacker, RPGGuy has gone AWOL so I can't even touch the text again, let alone update the names : (

Although apparently that's no longer a huge problem... *wink*

How come you can't at least change the names on the main Serenes Forest site? It's weird that the FESD page uses Jeorge, Gordin, etc, while the FE1 page uses George and Gordon.

#163 OldMan

OldMan

UnsympatheticEnd

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Genealogy of the Holy War

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:45 PM

Because it's a tedious, thankless and useless work, as the older games' translation patches don't use the official names anyway?

#164 General Banzai

General Banzai

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Sacred Stones

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:40 PM

Because it's a tedious, thankless and useless work, as the older games' translation patches don't use the official names anyway?

I would thank him for it.

#165 Quirino

Quirino

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:56 PM

It seems ridiculous to me not to change the names to the official localizations, but then again, we still use the fan translated names in the patches for FE1 and FE3.

When I update FE1 it'll have the official names.

#166 Celice

Celice

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:N/A

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:54 PM

If there is any disparity between regions with regards to names we would of course be going with whichever names are used in Australia (ignoring the possibility of DLC being released in the US but not here and so on).

Posted Image

As long as you add in some reference to a kangaroo and a cork hat

#167 Arch

Arch

The Creator

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

I just finished a playthrough with the new patch. Generally enjoyed the updates, and I even found myself calling the lord of Gen II 'Serlis' in no time at all :P:.

I was wondering, though, if it would be possible to change some of the terrain info names to have their full words? The terrain window can fit 'Barhara,' six characters, without seemingly any issues. Why is it that we have 'Mdow' instead of 'Meadow,' 'Wood' instead of 'Forest,' 'Clif' instead of 'Cliff,' etc. It's just a pet peeve of mine, seeing unnecessary abbreviations like that. I was also wondering if 'MntThf' could be changed to 'Bandit?' Since both terms have been used throughout the series, and, since FE4 differentiates between Brigands and "Mountain Thieves," I feel like using both class names would be acceptable (plus, as I said, I hate using abbreviations when it's avoidable).

#168 Nayr Farros

Nayr Farros

Time is a healer.

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:40 PM

I might give the patch a try. But generally Fe4 patches cause my rom to not load on Snes9x.

You literally had me until Serlis and Aoife. But those might just be a deal-breaker.

Says the guy who temporarily turned Cuan and Ethlin into Quinn and Ethel :p

Imma have to agree on this. I wonder what kind of drug someone would have to be on to turn Celice into Serlis? lol

Edited by Nayr, 30 April 2012 - 05:40 PM.

#169 Arch

Arch

The Creator

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

Imma have to agree on this. I wonder what kind of drug someone would have to be on to turn Celice into Serlis? lol

Ask the folks at Nintendo Power? It's only changed because 'Serlis' is the name used that publication (the "official" Nintendo magazine). To be fair, Zigludo is the name used for Sigurd in the same publication, but obviously that one was pretty absurd. Still, it's up to Twiliktri's discretion, and Serlis is a valid name to use.

And I was just having fun with absurd localizations :P:. Besides, it was "Quinn and Evelyn" for the ultra fun rhyming trio of "Quinn, Finn, and Evelyn."

Edited by Arch, 30 April 2012 - 06:22 PM.

#170 Celice

Celice

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

To be fair, Zigludo is the name used for Sigurd in the same publication,

http://www.fire-emblem.com/gba/launch/history/index.jsp

You should read from the actual abstract Twilkitri used.

The four-letter limitation is most likely a limitation of how the text is drawn on the screen. Which would in turn mean the solution isn't just to write more than four letters, but to see if one can adapt the code to allow more than four letters. Four glyphs is pretty flexible in Japanese in terms of expressing in this context--that is the reason towards your "why."

#171 Nayr Farros

Nayr Farros

Time is a healer.

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:34 PM

Ask the folks at Nintendo Power? It's only changed because 'Serlis' is the name used that publication (the "official" Nintendo magazine). To be fair, Zigludo is the name used for Sigurd in the same publication, but obviously that one was pretty absurd. Still, it's up to Twiliktri's discretion, and Serlis is a valid name to use.

And I was just having fun with absurd localizations :P:. Besides, it was "Quinn and Evelyn" for the ultra fun rhyming trio of "Quinn, Finn, and Evelyn."

Technically, Cuan didn't need localizing. It's an Irish name meaning "little wolf. http://www.behindthe...com/name/cua10n " :p

Edited by Nayr, 30 April 2012 - 09:34 PM.

#172 Arch

Arch

The Creator

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:23 AM

The four-letter limitation is most likely a limitation of how the text is drawn on the screen. Which would in turn mean the solution isn't just to write more than four letters, but to see if one can adapt the code to allow more than four letters. Four glyphs is pretty flexible in Japanese in terms of expressing in this context--that is the reason towards your "why."

You didn't read my comments very thoroughly, did you Serlis? The terrain window supports words as long as "Barhara," which is why I was asking about the seemingly unnecessary abbreviations.

Also, thank you for linking to that publication. I was going off of the Nintendo Power article, but this one further solidifies Serlis/Sigurd as the proper localizations.

Edited by Arch, 01 May 2012 - 12:24 AM.

#173 Celice

Celice

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:47 AM

If the text is handled differently, regardless of the text box itself, then location names being longer than terrain names has no relevancy. One shouldn't presume uniformity, thus interrelated limitations, simply because of where both texts are drawn on the screen. You should instead actually inspect how the game interprets the text, not by what visually occurs.

#174 Arch

Arch

The Creator

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:55 AM

Well, that was the point of asking the damned question. However, it was more directed towards Twiliktri; I was hoping for someone who understood the subject to comment, rather than just listening to someone's speculations. I'll wait for his confirmation. I was only bringing it up because, if silly abbreviations are avoidable, I'd like to see them avoided.

Edited by Arch, 01 May 2012 - 01:57 AM.

#175 hanhnn

hanhnn

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:59 AM

Well, that was the point of asking the damned question. However, it was more directed towards Twiliktri; I was hoping for someone who understood the subject to comment, rather than just listening to someone's speculations. I'll wait for his confirmation. I was only bringing it up because, if silly abbreviations are avoidable, I'd like to see them avoided.

This can be fixed with a little rearrange of pointer.

You can check this patch to see the full word Freege, Jungby or Chalphy or other terrain in the text box.

Edited by hanhnn, 01 May 2012 - 05:08 AM.

#176 Nayr Farros

Nayr Farros

Time is a healer.

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:17 PM

*Sigh* All this talk of FE4 makes me miss FE4 Advance.

#177 Helswath

Helswath

Because attack speed is overrated.

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:37 PM

Arch, you said you finished a playthrough--what did you do to get past the bugs?

Also, have you found any other bugs than the ones that I pointed out? I had found bugs in chapter 4 (which was fixed) and chapter 7. Did you find any others?

#178 Arch

Arch

The Creator

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:37 AM

I encountered the Ch7 bug, which halted my playthrough for a bit. Then I realized that I can just play past that event with a Japanese ROM, save, and continue on my quest to slay the Emperor and his son. I didn't encounter any game-breaking glitches after that point; however, I have yet to beat the final chapter (I'm just about to seize Edda, so I'm just starting that chapter).

#179 Agile Tit-Tyrant

Agile Tit-Tyrant

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Gaiden

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:02 PM

Yeah so I'm on chapter 7 and it freezes. :/ Are you going to fix this..? Or have you already and I just didn't notice?

#180 irtikliwT

irtikliwT

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Blazing Sword

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:30 AM

The amount of space currently available for terrain names is very limited, but on re-checking things over I've found that the character names were currently all being put into space which was shared between terrain and character names (and a number of other things) and barely using any of their personal space, so I have banished them from the common area (and as it turns out they have enough room within their personal space anyway, although with only enough room for 13 more letters).

So okay, I've taken the opportunity to improve terrain naming.

Releasing version 0.87g

Same locations as before

If caching is giving you grief let me know and I will look into putting them under different names but geez

Improved by:
- Reduced misuse of common space in block 3
- Improved terrain names with the room provided
- Extended castle names with the room provided
- Rahna doesn't know what a lightyear is any more
- Prevented Darna cutscene crash in chapter 7
- Prevented errant 'is'es showing up on data screen

The 'is'es were being caused because for some reason the game is printing Lachesis's name out before the row of dashes, and there weren't enough dashes to cover up Lachesis's name. I checked an unpatched version and the same thing was happening, so it ought to be 'normal' despite how strange it seems. I extended the line of dashes with two spaces to cover the rest up.

Folks I took advantage of the space to change 'Wall' back to 'Rampart' but I've noticed that the part of Barhara Castle which is outside the normal castle area uses that terrain type, and Rampart is perhaps inapplicable to it. Thoughts.

Edited by irtikliwT, 06 May 2012 - 03:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users