Rate the Unit, Day 34: Bartre

Dat Rules

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- Characters should be rated for their performance on all possible routes (A/B / Sacae/Ilia) but should not be penalized for routes they physically cannot exist on (z.B Juno in Sacae).

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

AVERAGES

WENDY!: 0.19

Bors: 1.14

Barth: 2.07

Wolt: 2.16

Ward: 2.61

Dorothy: 3.17

Lilina: 3.53

Merlinus: 3.53

Roy: 3.54

Geese: 3.70

Treck: 4.66

Oujay: 4.80

Fir: 5.08

Lot: 5.40

Gonzales: 5.45

Sue: 5.64

Ellen: 5.73

Lugh: 5.98

Noah: 6.13

Chad: 6.42

Klein: 6.53

Astohl: 7.17

Saul: 7.18

Shin: 7.42

Zealot: 7.56

Clarine: 7.78

Tate: 7.89

Dieck: 7.94

Thany: 8.01

Alan: 8.52

Lance: 8.59

Marcus: 8.77

Lalam: 8.78

Elphin: 9.00

Rutger: 9.61

jesus why do people actually think elphin is a cool person and lalam is annoying

elphin is boring as piss and lalam is hilarious

every one of you except luka and eclipse who applied bias are stupid dumbheads

Ah, Bartroll the brave! He's not doubling much... if at all, but he's going to provide an almighty dent in anything he attacks. That HP's pretty great too. Just don't send him into hoardes of mages, he's not going to come off too well.

5.5/10 - A nice back-up guy, but he's really not fast enough to be too useful.

4.6/10 Decent strength, but axes suck in FE6, has no real skill or speed or reliable growths in that department for that matter, to ever hit stuff in Hard Mode. Never doubles either. The only use he could serve is in chapter 21 to pick off Wyverns since axes and bows are nightmare stuff to them, but even then you have to be RNG lucky.

He's salvageable. Buff, extremely strong, not technically axe-locked (Warriors make remarkably good archers in the GBA games, y'know)... but has his SPD and SKL problems, albeit perhaps not as much as you might figure. He's certainly a unit who can become something acceptable, but he's not gonna rock the block in HM. At least you didn't have to put a ton of work into him to get that much STR. But instead, you'll have to work on his SPD...

5.5/10

Bartre's an okay pre-promote, and definitely has more of a use than Ward or Lot. His growths are decent, and he has okay bases. His SPD, of course, could be a problem with its base of 10 and a 30% growth.

5/10, +1 bias since he's awesome. 6/10

He's Ward without the hero crest compt.

But he helped make Fir and is in fe7.

Oh and the stache.

+1 bias point annnddd

7.5/10

Edited by The Joker

6/10

His strength is just ridonkulous. Let me put it this way; Bartre does as much damage with an Iron Bow as Klein with a Silver Bow, and just as accurately. That's insane. And he's far more durable than Klein, has access to Axes for enemy phase and even more damage (he's like 2 points off ORKOing Paladins with the Brave Axe), and even has acceptable growths, even if he is somewhat slower. So I can't really give him a lower score than Klein.

And also +1 bias for being cool and underrated

7/10

Basically a pre-promoted Ward. Unfortunately, axes are crap in this game. 4.5/10.

Edited by Metal King Slime

6/10

His strength is just ridonkulous. Let me put it this way; Bartre does as much damage with an Iron Bow as Klein with a Silver Bow, and just as accurately. That's insane. And he's far more durable than Klein, has access to Axes for enemy phase and even more damage (he's like 2 points off ORKOing Paladins with the Brave Axe), and even has acceptable growths, even if he is somewhat slower. So I can't really give him a lower score than Klein.

And also +1 bias for being cool and underrated

7/10

This. Only my bias includes his moustache too.

MY NAME IS BARTRE AND I LIKE TO SHOUT. I HOPE YOU WILL EXCEPT FOR THE JOB OF YOUR WARRIOOOOOR~! I HAVE A WONDROUSLY HIGH AMOUNT OF STREEEEEEEEEENGTH! 22 BASE, 40% GROOOOOOOWTH! I ALSO HAVE 48 HP!

DON'T FORGET I HAVE TWO MORE SKL BASE THAN GEESE, ONE MORE SPD BASE THAN HIM, AND AXES ARE ABSOLUTE CRAP IN THIS GAAAAAAAAAME~!

4.5/10

Refraining from this one because I'm not willing to give up Echidna for anyone (Rutger and Miledy included, if it was them instead of Bartre I'm missing on), so I can't accurately judge his performance.

Definitely not terrible, but I wish either his Spd or Def was a little better. Or even the Skill to use some of the more iffy Axes. C Bows would've been even nice. Still, 22 Str on a prepromoted unit is fucking ridiculous at this point of the game even if he rarely doubles. Guess that's what Brave Axe is for... if he can hit.

5/10. I think rating him higher is a little questionable. Just a little. I almost rated him 5.5/10, but I subtracted 0.5 bias for being Fir's father. What a disgrace that must be.

Edited by Colonel M

His strength is just ridonkulous. Let me put it this way; Bartre does as much damage with an Iron Bow as Klein with a Silver Bow, and just as accurately. That's insane.

Against the enemies that you'd really want to damage, though, Klein wins because Silver Bow gets a larger improvement in damage from effective bonus. Brave Bow is a big deal as well.

I'm inclined to say that Bartre makes for a somewhat mediocre archer; it's more of a bonus than it is a specialty.

A grind from D to C earns him Killer access, which ties Iron hit and Steel MT-2. Granted I haven't gone Bartre route, how feasible is one wpn.rank?

Edited by Elieson

nearly impossible in this game for a bow user

for the record i barely got klein to S bows by the end of the game, and the dude starts at A. i got shin to A bows by the end of the game after throwing him in the arena for several turns in chapter 17I, which is only a 2 weapon rank improvement for a bow user using his primary weapon with favoritism from the arena.

Edited by dondon151

I am 100% pro Bartre. He's so much cooler in this game, what with his mustache and reasonable base stats. The speed is kinda bad, and it will never be good, but he's got enough HP and strength that I don't care too much. If used he'll probably gain enough speed to not get doubled by wyverns, and if he doesn't I'd give him a speedwing anyway.

Echidna is probably better, but the rules thankfully prohibit me from holding that against him.

Pf, that base Str is just through the roof. The sad thing is his base Skl and Spd are not that great. But he can hit things reliably with Iron weapons and put dents into even the most defensive of enemy units. Ability to use Bows as well as axes gives him that little bit more flexibility. And 10 Def/48 HP will ensure he takes many hits before he needs healing.

65%.

Bartre, that one guy who made Fir and lives on the Isles.

Pros:

MUSTACHE!

Decent axe user.

Can use bow.

High strength.

Cons:

Speed is kinda meh.

Growths are kinda meh.

Made Fir. :P:

Bartre is handy to have around and stuff. Hes a good powerhouse and can spam some really stubborn enemies. (like dem Mamekute jerks.) Hes pretty cool with a Killer Axe and he comes with a Brave Axe. Nice. He can help potshot shit with a bow too. I kinda dig him and his mustache.

6/10. 7/10 bias because mustache and because he raped that Mamekute in that one chapter for a decent turn count on my run.

bartre is a pretty cool guy to have around in midgame he also doesn't exist on echidna route

he lags a bit come lategame, but he can still fire a bow at a wyvern or whatever, if you have the deployment slots.

6.5/10

Against the enemies that you'd really want to damage, though, Klein wins because Silver Bow gets a larger improvement in damage from effective bonus.

That's true.

I'm inclined to say that Bartre makes for a somewhat mediocre archer; it's more of a bonus than it is a specialty.

It's nice to have an accurate option to fall back on, especially since many people seem to be complaining about his hit rates. The point was that I couldn't really see him getting a lower score than Klein; his axes and durability should make up for the speed deficit. If people don't think that Bartre is accurate enough, then clearly Klein must not be accurate enough either ;/

Since dark sage thinks it's hypocritical for me to not complain about dondon's vote despite it being within the reasonable range where I said I don't care (in other words, not hypocritical), I'll point out that with the newish rule stating you have to explain regardless of where your vote is, "not bad 6/10" is probably not acceptable.

Edited by Narga_Rocks