Rate the Unit, Day 12: Rofl

Dat Rules (borrowed/stolen from Integrity)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode+Fixed Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "she brings a Knight Ward to the team" as an argument.

- BEXP is free to be used in any quantity on any character.

- Rating a unit too low because you think its overrated will make me throw away your vote without mercy biggrin.gif.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

Averages:

Shinon: 3

Ilyana: 4.98

Soren: 5.152

Rhys: 5.315

Gatrie: 5.463

Mia: 5.708

Mist: 6.413

Boyd: 8.293

Ike: 8.567

Oscar: 9.075

Titania: 9.91

Edited by PKL

Comes at a bad time. Suck bases. Averageish growths needs too much bexp. and I hate him. 1.5/10 Better than Bastian/Lucia

Edited by The Joker

Sure he's a decent archer if you dump all your BEXP into him, but he's still a frigging Archer in FE9. He comes at level 1, and is vying with Mist (who can actually turn out good) or all your other units (who aren't terrible) for all that BEXP. He can chip... kinda but he's to squishy to live. I use him every run but I'm going to give him 2/10. With a bias point forgot to add that

At least Shinon has early game almost/kills

Edited by Onmi

1/10. The worst unit in PoR. Poor bases, poor jointime, and is just not enough payoff for too much work.

Edited by Metal King Slime

Rolf gets underrated often because of his lack of ability to preform 1-range counters.

However, even ignoring that, he's a fairly average unit overall (at best) who joined underleveled, way too late for a unit as badly underleveled as him, and even if you train him up you just get a meh-ish unit at best. No skills, no chance to be awesome, nothing goes in his favor. Even Mist thinks he's useless and goes for his older brother instead.

2/10. I'm probably overrating him a bit, but... Really... He just doesn't do anything of value ever and takes up a load of resources to get to that lack of value. The only reason I'm not rating him a 1 or 1.5 is because, even if he sucks, he can at least help over the course of the game, unlike Bastion.

At least Rolf can chip stuff in his joining chapter. Sure, if you can raise him up, he'll be better than Shinon, but all that BEXP he needs already has Mist's name on it.

1.5/10.

At least Rolf can chip stuff in his joining chapter. Sure, if you can raise him up, he'll be better than Shinon, but all that BEXP he needs already has Mist's name on it.

1.5/10.

That's if you can consider what meager damage Rolf's doing "chip", which I don't.

1/10 the worst unit in PoR. Biggest investment of anyone, lowest return of anyone.

Also Joker you piece of shit you're wrong. Bastian and Lucia come in late with decent at best stats and good weapon levels. Sure they're not great but at least they don't need half your BEXP for the entire game to become still awful because he's an ARCHER, only to THEN still have issues with his weapon levels.

Edited by Daigoji Excellen

Rolf's chip on Regular mode in his intro chapter are smaller than the fingers on my typing hand.

Pathetic unit is pathetic.

.25/10

Nothing much to judge from a character with poor bases. The only thing he has of any value is doing bonus dmg to crows. Provided if u raise him well and giving him forged bows to have him battle well. Because of good joining time makes him worthy to use over Shinon. But his dodge is ok because of good speed. Lower luck makes him more vurnable to crits and being hit a little more often. You probably shouldn't use him unless u want to chip dmg for other characters to finish off. He can support bonus with his bros Oscar and Boyd. And can do the bow triangle. <3 And Oh GOD. His supports are absolute shit too. Is there any other way to make him any good other than for chipping? Probably not.

So....

NM

3.5/10

HM

1.5/10

It's too bad such a cute little boy has to suck so bad. T_T

feprrolf.jpg

So dashing. <3

Edited by リンダ

Nothing much to judge from a character with poor bases. The only thing he has of any value is doing bonus dmg to crows. Provided if u raise him well and giving him forged bows to have him battle well. Because of good joining time makes him worthy to use over Shinon. But his dodge is ok because of good speed. Lower luck makes him more vurnable to crits and being hit a little more often. You probably shouldn't use him unless u want to chip dmg for other characters to finish off. He can support bonus with his bros Oscar and Boyd. And can do the bow triangle. <3 And Oh GOD. His supports are absolute shit too. Is there any other way to make him any good other than for chipping? Probably not.

I don't see the bow triangle attack as useful at all. And Rolf requires too much investment just to get anywhere...

Also Joker you piece of shit you're wrong. Bastian and Lucia come in late with decent at best stats and good weapon levels. Sure they're not great but at least they don't need half your BEXP for the entire game to become still awful because he's an ARCHER, only to THEN still have issues with his weapon levels.

lol wow you're an asshole, stop taking these ratings so serious

1/10, after a +1 for being a greil merc

if i really need to provide a reason, he's an unmounted archer in a game where you have either a bunch of powerful unmounted units or powerful mounted units, and he doesn't add anything special at all. his chip is worthless.

Edited by Mercenary Raven

Like Mist, comes in late at lvl one and can't really do anything unless pumped full of a crap ton of bonus exp. Unlike her, you don't get anything particularly unique from his promotion, just a decent archer. I'd rather dump my exp somewhere else.

1.5/10

He needs to have a serious BEXP dump in order to be used marginally. His growths are nothing to write home about and his durability is extremely terrible for an archer. Better than Shinon I suppose if you decide to train him for god knows whatever you have with him. 1.5/10 because at least hes better than garbage like Lucia or lolBastian... Ugh. =/

:facepalm:

Um...this thread almost shouldn't be debatable. rofl on the topic title is a dead giveaway of his awfulness.

Rolf, the little brother of Boyd and Oscar. Secret student of Shinon's.

Pros:

Chip damage??

Cons:

:facepalm:

Bad join time.

Bad class.

Bad level.

Bad everything.

Really....poor Rolf. I have nothing against the kid but goddamn does he suck in this game. Hes not terribad when trained but really, whos gonna do that outside easy mode? (and even in easy mode, wtf is the point...) Archers are a bit of a smelly class anyway but in PoR, even smellier. Its not like RD, where they can rape shit after a while. Rolf can provide some chip in his joining chapter so other (Marcia) characters can take shit down but like, after that? BENCH! Theres just no point to Rolf in this game. None. Poor poor Rolf.

1/10 (i dont believe in zeros). I actually really like him in RD though cuz dem growths.

Pretty awful all round. Nothing you wouldn't expect from a unit at the lowest possible level, with the lowest possible weapon rank, locked to the worst possible weapon for gaining CEXP and WEXP, who joins 9 chapters in.

1/10

PROS:

-availability

-10% crit bonus when he is adjacent to his brothers

-Rolf's Bow

CONS:

-archers are the worst class in the game

-low base level

Alright people, I agree that Rolf is one of the worst units in the game but hes not unusable. He is free in Chapter 9. Send him to the beach and his chip damage is just enough to either set up other units for kills or get kills of his own. At LV 11 Rolf has the same durability as a LV 11 Ike. At level LV 11 Rolf has the same STR and DEF as base LV Shinon. At 20/1, Rolf beats Shinon in everything but HP and SKL. He doesnt need more than 300ish Bexp to be a good chip bot for the rest of the game. Chapter 11 has the Ravens where he can get good Cexp unless we have an OP Marcia end it fast. If we are hell-bent on using an archer he is better than uncle Shinon, and go back and see what he scored... Even though Rolf doesnt do much at least he exists for most the game. Rolf also needs less Bexp than uncle Shinon will need.

3.5/10 - Same as I gave Shinon.

I'm a firm believer that Rolf is the worst character in the game. Bastian has Seige tome utility and Lucia doesn't need favoritism or BEXP abuse to have mediocre combat. Rolf requires you to take (B)EXP from your units that you're already trying to level (like Ike, Oscar, Boyd, Mia, Soren/Ilyana) to be good. He's an overall liability to your team due to the low speed he forces you to move at if you want you use him.

0.1/10 cause I like his support convos.