Photo

FE8: The Crash Hack!

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#61 Anouleth

Anouleth

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:N/A

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

Besides, if they just plain didn't exist, you could just barge into enemy territory with whatever units and not care.

I don't think that's necessarily true... It's not like every chapter that lacks status staves is utterly trivial, in either this game or the many other FEs.

weeeeell

you could very easily remove the status on staves/weapons manually - afaik there's no harm in that except that a lot of times weapons still have those properties for no explainable reason (like how purge actually hits defense).

No, I mean take those Chapter 14 Druids and pluck them from their hands. I don't think crash intends to re-use the items slots.

And he doesn't seem to take an issue with Poison weapons, either.

removing lockpicks is similar, removing them all from the game is more work than you'd think (there are a shitton of enemies with them over both modes, etc).

Time-consuming, true, but wouldn't require ASM.

replacing pierce with the crit bonus is weird because occasionally i've seen a skill activate despite the fact that the class shouldn't have it- I've seen Hero Valter activate it, for example.

Sounds... weird.

#62 CT075

CT075

drunken hobo

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Blazing Sword

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

@status - fine
@lockpicks - gl with that
@pierce - it is

#63 Mekkah

Mekkah

screw playing, i want to argue about it on the internet

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:02 AM

He doesn't really need to remove all the Lockpicks unless he REALLY hates them. He could just give Thieves and Assassins the Pick skill and be done with it. The Lockpicks would be sellable.

#64 zahlman

zahlman

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:16 AM

He doesn't really need to remove all the Lockpicks unless he REALLY hates them. He could just give Thieves and Assassins the Pick skill and be done with it. The Lockpicks would be sellable.

So they'd be like crappy gems with a meaningless use counter?

#65 Anouleth

Anouleth

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:56 AM

It's not like there are that many thieves in the game anyway. There's what, two in Chapter 8, and two more in Chapter 16? And that's it?

#66 Scarlet

Scarlet

Devil among Demons

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Awakening

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:07 AM

It's not like there are that many thieves in the game anyway. There's what, two in Chapter 8, and two more in Chapter 16? And that's it?

There's also one in chapter 19 that appears to the left.
And some in the ruins of Lagdou if we count those.

#67 Lungs

Lungs

We Didn't Start the Fire

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:11 PM

replacing pierce with the crit bonus is weird because occasionally i've seen a skill activate despite the fact that the class shouldn't have it- I've seen Hero Valter activate it, for example.

Does that mean skills are both hardcoded to class and to characters?

#68 Jubby

Jubby

derp

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

possibly. Most likely. But who knows :P

#69 shadowofchaos

shadowofchaos

Apparently a Wiffle-Waffle

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Awakening

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

possibly. Most likely. But who knows :P

Here's a guaranteed way of finding out.

Load Valter in another class. Memory hack his Level to 100. If Pierce is activated, it's hardcoded to his character slot.

HOWEVER, Xeld/Hextator/Obviam/Aleph/Alex made a skills hack to be able to change which classes have which skills. There's even an Astra skill... but that glitches out in the Arena.

I will NOT be helping you implement that however.

#70 Tangerine

Tangerine

Ethereal Citrus Archon

• Administrator

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

...And he's still the best unit in the game. Possibly after Franz, now.

I disagree. Just making Seth a General and taking his growths away automatically removes him from his top spot. Franz/Vanessa/Duessel/Ephraim/Colm/Cormag/Gerik/Tethys (and Moulder/possibly Natasha if the game has some semblance of difficulty) would all be better than him at the very least, off the top of my head. Basically anyone who either joins reasonably early and remains a top unit or joins mid game and is amazing will beat General Seth with 0 growth potential.

He'll be a big help early on, but he's going to be pretty awful comparatively by the time people start promoting. Which I guess is what a Jeigan's role is generally, and what Crash was going for. Out of all the changes he listed this is one of the more reasonable ones :P:.

Edited by Tangerine, 13 April 2012 - 12:43 PM.

#71 CrashGordon94

CrashGordon94

*pop* *pop* Kaboom!

• Exiled
  • Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Path of Radiance

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:29 AM

Right guys, I'm actually kinda having trouble keeping up with everything so I miss something, I'm sorry. I didn't do so because I hated your point or am dilberately ignoring it, I probably just missed it.

First, thank you Anouleth. You're saying a lot of things a lot better than I could, I realy do appreciate it.
And sorry Shadow, I don't really have too much to say besides "I don't agree.", it's not that I don't appreciate you pitching in or think you want to be a troll, I just can't really understand a number of your particular points. So I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on a few of those. :/ I got some though, I'll probably come back to some of them (along with other points from other people I've forgotten/missed).

I don't need statistical gender differents with classes, AT ALL! I'd much rather do that on a character basis (i.e. Armor Knights of both genders have the same CON but Gilliam and Amelia have different CON stats as AKs). I'd probably go through with class bases/growths the same way, which would lead to an increasing of enemy stats which segues into my next point.

INCREASING DIFFICULTY! My plan would be to replace some of the larger groups of enemies with a fewer higher-levelled ones, because in vanilla it seemed that the hoards of enemies where either non-threatening and just kinda exploded en masse on your standard overlevelled FE powerhouses or they actually DID have soem kind of threat in rare circumstances, which made them rather overwhelming (fixing one problem this way would probably knock it into the other unless I got very clever with it, and we can probably say that's kind of out of the question here...). Also, an increasing of enemy stats in general, especially for some specific classes. Though a good amount of that would probably be through bolstering HM bonuses. This would likely make the game just as easy as it already is on NM but simply having the OPTION of an easy gaming experience isn't a problem, is it? You guys would get your proper good Hard Mode so I think it'd all work out, no? I'd do something to make Easy Mode functional so there could be more middle ground but that sounds like a bitch to do.

Some more class on class adjustments. I like Merc!Ross too (especially since in vanilla Gerik is your only Merc. :mellow:). Merc to Ranger stays, I still don't see it being used much for Gerik but Ross might actually want it now. Priest to Druid/Summoner gone, I gues it was silly, I just kinda wanted Moulder to have a legit Dark Magic option... Still confused about whether to give Pupil the Super Pupil or Monk promotion, but either would work out so I guess that can wait. I stay with the ranks for General and GK, and I might give Falcos D Swords (because E isn't good for much of anything and it needs something good over Wyvern Knight). WKs can have the Crit +15 thing instead of Pierce definitely, Pierce is very unreliable but crit can be kinda made to have a sort of reasonable rate with Killers and stuff. Plus you can negate Valter's crit by backtracking to get the Iron Rune thingy (whatever it's called in FE8, I forgot) if you really have to but there's nothing you can do to negate Pierce (BTW, I did listen to the problem with Valter having Pierce as a character). Having serious second thoughts about Myrms and Archers having a crit bonus but Assassins are definitely keeping it, I think it kinda makes sense from a lore perspective and it would help in getting a decent activation rate for Silencer. Speaking of Assassins, I think I'll give them 6 MOV again while Swordmasters would be the 7 MOV ones. It makes sense from a lore perspective (Swordmasters being swift warriors who openly charge, like those martial arts movies while Assassins are sneaky types who would operate in more inclosed spaces) and it makes the Myrm promotion a bit more balanced (crit on both sides, Thief things and Silencer on one side, MOV and stats on the other). BTW, any thoughts on Myrm to Hero? I don't remember reading any responses to it (I probably won't do it though). Also, I heard about the thing with super Rogue stealing being hard to program, imbalanced and silly (though the bit about stealing monster qeapon likely won't be an issue, I probably won't give monsters multiple weapons as it's stupid from a lore perspective and doesn't seem hugely necessary for any purpose). I heard about giving Dancers Swords, and I might do that, but since there's no animation I heard of a trick to make it go to map animations automatically ala Ballista, I thin I'd do that. Also, what I'd likely do is give Tethys good growths in offensive areas (since she's apparently perfectly fine elsewhere) like Feena apparently does so that you could potentially raise her up to be quite good if you wanted to. It'd only really be useful to powergamers who would want her to leave her open when she Dances stuff forward and have her obliterate the things that get her there, that would be difficult to achieve and not the smartest use of your resources but giving people the OPTION to do these new and different things is quite cool IMO. I also thoguht of having Snipers and Sages give larger, more offensively spread gains compared to the lesser and more defensive ones of Ranger and Mage Knight, would that work to balance them?

As for characters: Still confused with Seth since my changes to him have been actually controversial. The buff to Trainees would be small to their bases (so they're not pwned) but their growths would be increased rather a lot. They're the ultimate growth units so they need really good growths to actually do their job (or at least do it well enough that most people will have an incentive to try). Buffs to Amelia and Ewan would be considerably larger than those to Ross. I might increase their base level to compensate. I'm still keeping the crazy Luck as a nice niche for them.

For weapons and items: I heard the complaints on my Dragonstone idea, I think I will have the ordinary one sold in one of the CC Secret Shops like suggested (still thinking of raising Usage, but heh...) HOWEVER for the main game I'd have a different, weaker one called either the "Lizardstone" or "Dragonpebble" sold in the Chapter 19 map shop (with all the crazy crap like Silvers and Killers), it would give NO BONUSES but have infinite uses. I might give the wimpy shit one 1-2 range too so Myrrh can have weak 2 range capabilities (Hey, it wouldn't break her! It'd certainly be a much larger drop than crappy Hand Axes/Javelins/Short Bows would be for their classes and it makes lore sense too). I know it'll be painful to implement but I do still want the new Devil Axe formula, 21 Luck is a hell of a lot so it'll still have a decent threat, that would just be a good reward for properly high Luck (I have more thoughts on the DA but I feel like compiling them a little more before mentioning them). My idea for magic swords would be to either just work physically or do the same things with the whole STR stat instead of half but I think keeping the calculation and boosting their Might would work and not be such a pain (However, I do want them to calculate like Runeswords, doing the same at both ranges). For Blades I do like Klok's idea and might consider it but I am slightly thrown by Iron Blades being the "average" of Iron and Steel Swords. I think a slight adjustment should be enough though, like people have said. Also, I'll keep the Iron/Silver Blades at 2 WEXP but the Steel Blade will have 3 WEXP (Steels give more WEXP + Blades give more WEXP = Steel Blades give more more WEXP). Otherwise Swords should be fine but I think I might need to give the Steel Sword some attention, it has the same stats as an Iron Axe but is more expensive and just having it give 2 WEXP probably won't be enough to even them out (though I guess it's only a problem for classes with access to both but still that's really not good...). I won't give ALL Light monster effectiveness but I will likely give it to another non-Ivaldi Light spell (how about Divine?), otherwise high Hit and Crit should be enough to make them worth using.

I have a bit more but I ought to stop here for now, I think! :sweatdrop:

P.S. Lumi, what about Berserker!Seth? Then he's all "manly" and is running around with no shirt! I kinda expected you to mention that, actually.

#72 Rothene

Rothene

ALL HAIL PHEE SPRITES!

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Sacred Stones

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:46 AM

Mageknight Seth...with A Tomes and A Staves, Starting inventory of Fimbulvetr, Psychic and Rescue staff!!! 8]

#73 CrashGordon94

CrashGordon94

*pop* *pop* Kaboom!

• Exiled

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:54 AM

Hey, you wish! :rolleyes:

#74 BwdYeti

BwdYeti

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Sacred Stones

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:34 AM

BTW, any thoughts on Myrm to Hero? I don't remember reading any responses to it (I probably won't do it though).

I prefer it to Myrm => Sin when making a new promotion tree, but FE8 already has Fighter => Hero and there's only one Thief so you'd get class over/underrepresentation

And con based on characters makes sense, but isn't the result going to be pretty much the same? Or is the intent just to target weirdness like male Cavs getting +2 con to Paladin while female gets 0 \o_O/

#75 CrashGordon94

CrashGordon94

*pop* *pop* Kaboom!

• Exiled

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:01 PM

Not really actually, varying on CON was meaning doing stuff like Kyle, not like the male versus female characters in the vanilla edition.

#76 Thor Odinson

Thor Odinson

Starfish Crusader

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Thracia 776

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:06 PM

P.S. Lumi, what about Berserker!Seth? Then he's all "manly" and is running around with no shirt! I kinda expected you to mention that, actually.

It'd be totally out of character for him and it isn't funny like Dancer and ArcherF.

#77 CrashGordon94

CrashGordon94

*pop* *pop* Kaboom!

• Exiled

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

It'd be totally out of character for him and it isn't funny like Dancer and ArcherF.

Fair enough then.

#78 Refa

Refa

Screw you, future me!

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Genealogy of the Holy War

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

When is this patch getting made? Posted Image

#79 CrashGordon94

CrashGordon94

*pop* *pop* Kaboom!

• Exiled

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:30 AM

When is this patch getting made?

Well, after I get a beter grasp of what I want to do and figure out hacking and stuff and perhaps find someone to help me with precise rebalancing like stats (mostly finding the right numbers that would work well). Finding some people willing sign up for playtesting would be terrific too, since I don't think I'm qualified to do it much and I'd need a second hand opinion anyway.

Also, had some more ideas that I came up with.

Edited by CrashGordon94, 27 April 2012 - 03:33 AM.

#80 bunnies r awesome

bunnies r awesome

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Radiant Dawn

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:39 AM

Finding some people willing sign up for playtesting would be terrific too, since I don't think I'm qualified to do it much and I'd need a second hand opinion anyway.

would it be alright if i playtest too ?

also out of curiosity, are you going to balance the differences between great knight and paladin ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users