• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#1 CrashGordon94

CrashGordon94

*pop* *pop* Kaboom!

• Exiled
  • Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Path of Radiance

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:29 AM

This is an idea I've been thinking about for a while, so I decided to post it here: A balance hack (well, it's not all about balance, but that's most of it) of FE8!
Mostly, it's just Nightmare and possibly FEditor stuff (I don't have these yet, but I will find them. Links would be handy but I think I could find them on my own.) but there are some things whrere I could see a need for ASM hacking, which could actually be a problem...

Now for a (possibly incomplete) list of my ideas so far!

• Removing FOW, Status Staffs, Stone and Lockpicks because I hate them.
• Some chapters will be made a little easier (5, 6, 11B and 14B mostly.).
• Staff EXP increased hugely, to DS levels or beyond.
• Gender stuff: I will give all female classes with a male counterpart (i.e. Myrmidon) the same CON as the male version and both versions will have the same caps, taking the higher ones of each gender (i.e. Swordmaster has the male STR cap and the female RES cap). Also, enemies will be unisex. Also, either giving female mounties the male mountie Aid formula or giving both the infantry Aid formula.
• Armors have 5 MOV, Generals have 6 MOV, Great Knights and Assassins have 7 MOV and Rogues have 8 MOV.
• Class skills: Myrmidon, Archer, Assassin, Super Recruit and Super Pupil have the same critical bonus as Swordmaster and Berserker, though Archers would lose it from going Ranger and Myrmidons could lose it from going Hero (more on that in a bit). I might even replace Pierce with that same crit bonus (I still haven't gotten over Saleh getting Pierced by Valter and dying in my first playthrough. :cry:). Warriors have the same terrain-crossing capabilities as Berserkers. Thieves and Assassins Pick the same way Rogues do in vanilla and Assassins can Steal the normal way. If at all possible I'd like to give Rogues the ability to Steal any enquipped thing (disregarding the Speed and "must be an item, not a weapon" restrictions) but that could require ASM.
• Promotion changes: I might remove Merc to Ranger because I find it depressing, if I do I'll either leave Hero as the only choice or replace it with Merc to Swordmaster. I WILL replace Super Journeyman with Journeyman to Brigand (same promotion choices as Pirate but uses Hero Crests and of course has different CON and terrain-crossing compared to Pirate, like usual). I might replace Super Pupil and Super Recruit with Monk and Wyvern Rider (respectively). Priest to Druid or Summoner as a third option, Myrmidon to Hero as a third option (though I would have to grab the Hero F sprite from FE6 for Marisa).
• General has C in all its weapon types, GK has D in all its weapon types, Warriors have D Bows, Hero MIGHT have E Axes but I'm very unsure about it. Might give Wyvern Lords Axes instead of Swords but that could be tricky.
• Give Recruit (2) high Speed and give Pupil (2) Anima/Light or Anima/Light/Dark, if I keep them.
• Super Trainees don't have to be unlocked, if they're actually kept.
• Dancers have E Light because I don't like having them unable to fight.
• I'd optimally like to change the way magic swords work and let people get unlimited S ranks (like FE6) but that could be tricky.
Specific items and weapons:
• General buffs to Light, Dark, Swords and Bows.
• Steel Swords and Steel Bows will give 2 WEXP.
• Short Bow will be 1-2 range. May or may not make Nidhogg 1-2 range too.
• Steel Axe will be D rank.
• Blades will get enhanced Might/Hit with lower Weight and 3 WEXP for all of them.
• Devil Axe will be a bit lighter and very accurate (Akaneia style!) and I'd like to change its backfire formula to (21 - Luck)%, WITHOUT THE THING THAT PREVENTS IT BECOMING 0%!
• General weight reduction for tomes, so that Light is lighter than Anima, Dark doesn't cripple everyone and S rank tomes aren't stupidly impractical.
• All Light tomes have the same monster bonus as Ivaldi, but none of them override Slayer.
• Shamshir will be upgraded in every stat (including 60 uses) and made a personal weapon for Marisa. Gilliam will get a personal Axeslayer (it is to the Axereaver as the Swordslayer is to the Swordreaver). L'arachel will get a personal Staff (bright pink, higher use Mend with a massive EXP gain and 1-2 range).
• Dragonstone will DEFINITELY have infinite uses, and MIGHT have 1-2 range.
• Different bonuses for statboosters.
Specific characters:
• Many are indirectly buffed or nerfed by the aforementioned changes.
• Seth is now a General with the same bases (with the exceptions of A Axes but 0 Luck) but very low growths (15% HP, 10% STR/DEF/SPD, 5% everything else).
• Neimi now has high offensive bases and marginally better defensive ones.
• Lute has higher bases.
• The trainees have higher bases and growths (Ross slightly so, Ewan and Amelia EXTREMELY so) and they all will have VERY Luck (including 100%+ for all three of them).
• Gilliam has somewhat higher stats (mainly Speed).
• Marisa has MUCH higher stats (still starting at a lower level than Josh but with bases that beat him at a higher level and better growths than him in literally everything).
• Dozla and Syrene having halfway decent stats.
• L'arachel with higher bases, growths and starting level (Yep, I'm BUFFING her!).
• Tethys with exsitent stats.
• Knoll having better stats.

And more, probably, I might be forgetting something! :sweatdrop:

Edited by CrashGordon94, 11 April 2012 - 08:54 AM.

#2 Michael Hurst

Michael Hurst

Whatcha need, Herc?

• Purgatory Commander
  • Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Awakening

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:36 AM

A balance hack (well, it's not all about balance, but that's most of it) of FE8!

Sir, this is not balance. This is extremely far from "balance".

EDIT: After another read, I sincerely regret that I do not have the time to properly lambast this entire idea before I go to school. :(

Edited by Integrity, 11 April 2012 - 08:38 AM.

#3 ZeeEmm

ZeeEmm

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Blazing Sword

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:40 AM

You're BUFFING a troubadour?

Crash, are you okay? I'd thought you'd have her as the worst unit. :P

#4 I have opinions

I have opinions

Wyverns are so cool!

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Gaiden

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:41 AM

This topic should be called "Let's take the easiest FE game and make it easier."

#5 Michael Hurst

Michael Hurst

Whatcha need, Herc?

• Purgatory Commander

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:41 AM

This topic should be called "Let's take the easiest FE game and make it easier."

nooooooo seph how are you so stupid this is *balance*!

#6 I have opinions

I have opinions

Wyverns are so cool!

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Gaiden

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:42 AM

nooooooo seph how are you so stupid this is *balance*!

integ i'm sorry how could i have been so stupid as to not see the balance in this :(

#7 Michael Hurst

Michael Hurst

Whatcha need, Herc?

• Purgatory Commander

integ i'm sorry how could i have been so stupid as to not see the balance in this :(

you will find that I am a very forgiving man, seph. you are already forgiven.

#8 shadowofchaos

shadowofchaos

I'm in a committed relationship with a furisode girl.

I don't care if he's joking or being serious...

I'm laughing too hard.

#9 Onmi

Onmi

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Sword of Seals

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:44 AM

Must resist Car Crash joke... Failing Miserably...

#10 Hawk King

Hawk King

Cherche is classy.

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Sacred Stones

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:44 AM

Im gonna be 100% straight with you. This sounds TERRIBLE.

Im with Integ, this deserves a major lambasting.

Seth becomes the worst unit, and Myrrh becomes the most broken in the history of ever.

If this is what you want though, im not gonna stop you.

#11 Agro

Agro

ilyana as a japanese schoolgirl

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Radiant Dawn

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:47 AM

guys

i think crash is autistic or something

just saying

Also, is our game going to crash if we apply this patch?

:D:

Edited by Agromono, 11 April 2012 - 08:48 AM.

#12 CrashGordon94

CrashGordon94

*pop* *pop* Kaboom!

• Exiled

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:53 AM

Yeah, a lot of it is badly thought out and needs to be seriously fixed, I will accept that.

As for difficulty, I was going to put something in there about making the enemies stronger (but fewer) and giving proper HM bonuses (like FE6HM of FE7 HHM).

Aside from that, please don't "lambast" it, that's really not helpful. I am more than happy to accept civil contructive criticism though

#13 Agro

Agro

ilyana as a japanese schoolgirl

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Radiant Dawn

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

Okay, okay. Sorry.

But to be honest, most of this just seems like you've gone and buffed up just about everyone except Seth, who really didn't deserve what he got (poor Seth). If anything, I would have liked to see the enemies get a little buff in levels or something.

#14 Sharpy

Sharpy

'Dat Castle

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Genealogy of the Holy War

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:07 AM

I don't care if he's joking or being serious...

I'm laughing too hard.

Same here.

I agree, lets lambast this.

I can't believe this, taking away things just because you hate them?
Are you trying to make fe8 even easier?

#15 HF Makalov Fanboy Kai

HF Makalov Fanboy Kai

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:22 AM

this is a very nice joke post crash.

8/10, some people fell for it

#16 Anouleth

Anouleth

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:N/A

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:25 AM

Im gonna be 100% straight with you. This sounds TERRIBLE.

Im with Integ, this deserves a major lambasting.

Seth becomes the worst unit,

You're an idiot if you think that Seth can't cruise through much of the game purely on his base stats. Go watch dondon's playthrough.

#17 Elieson

Elieson

Obligatory Dad of SF

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Blazing Sword

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:30 AM

Let's draft this~

Free Seth and banned Myrrh, of course.

#18 Hawk King

Hawk King

Cherche is classy.

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Sacred Stones

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:37 AM

@ Anouleth

I never said Seth becomes bad. Its just that with everyone elses boosts he would be the worst. Im fully aware of what a base level Seth can do. Giving him 6 movement, no horse, and nearly non-existent growths would make him signifacantly worse.

#19 Anouleth

Anouleth

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:N/A

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

@ Anouleth

I never said Seth becomes bad. Its just that with everyone elses boosts he would be the worst. Im fully aware of what a base level Seth can do. Giving him 6 movement, no horse, and nearly non-existent growths would make him signifacantly worse.

Well duh, that's the point. Seth is way too good in vanilla, so he needs a good, hard nerfing. But I don't know if it would make him the worst unit in the game! After all, his A Axes will give him easy peasy Garm access.

Edited by Anouleth, 11 April 2012 - 09:43 AM.

#20 Michael Hurst

Michael Hurst

Whatcha need, Herc?

• Purgatory Commander

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:07 AM

Aside from that, please don't "lambast" it, that's really not helpful. I am more than happy to accept civil contructive criticism though

You're confusing our terms here. I intend only to tell you everything that's wrong with your hack and why exactly it's wrong - I just have to wait until I get home to do it properly. I say "lambast" because "everything that's wrong with your hack" encompasses a LOT of stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users