Rate the Unit, Day 18: Brom

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Snowy_One

Snowy_One

Free

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Awakening

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:14 AM

Or not. A 20/1 Brom with 10 Knight Ward levels has 15 Spd. This doubles the majority of units in C17. If you're willing to staple the Knight Ward to Brom and give him a bunch of Bexp (like you would need to give Soren, Mia, Ilyana, Nephenee, Zihark, and company), Brom can become a solid combat unit (great Str and Def and solid Spd) with poor movement.

Okay. Fair enough. Generals still have awful movement though. Plus, in order to get that 10 levels he would basically have to not fight until you got Astrid. This means you can't use him on the gangplanks in 13 or to clear a lower path in 11 and 12 is possibly right out for deployment (since the ravens give a load of EXP). Well, maybe he could do one of those, but only one or else he could easily get too much EXP.

And his movement still blows chunks. At least the sages get ranged weapons and don't have to worry as much about the terrain as generals do.

#22 Life

Life

im a smoking alcoholic slut

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Blazing Sword

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

This means you can't use him on the gangplanks in 13 or to clear a lower path in 11 and 12 is possibly right out for deployment (since the ravens give a load of EXP).

You say this like he's a decent unit for those tasks. He's not.

He'll never reach the gangplanks because the enemies will have already suicided on Lethe/Titania/Keiran/Jill/Marcia/Oscar/any footunit I'm forgetting). 11 has the most pathetic enemies known to man on the bottom route (pretty sure Lv12 Mia can solo them though I can't see her being that low of a level with all the BExp) and 12 has the Ravens doubling him for more damage than he would like to take (18 Atk x2 against 28 HP and 13 Def means that he's 3RKOd).

AKA, not a good unit for even those purposes.

#23 Snowy_One

Snowy_One

Free

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:10 PM

You say this like he's a decent unit for those tasks. He's not.

He'll never reach the gangplanks because the enemies will have already suicided on Lethe/Titania/Keiran/Jill/Marcia/Oscar/any footunit I'm forgetting). 11 has the most pathetic enemies known to man on the bottom route (pretty sure Lv12 Mia can solo them though I can't see her being that low of a level with all the BExp) and 12 has the Ravens doubling him for more damage than he would like to take (18 Atk x2 against 28 HP and 13 Def means that he's 3RKOd).

AKA, not a good unit for even those purposes.

Those are the only purposes I could see him being used for though. Even if you don't use Titania and the Laguz except to recruit Zihark on 11 your mounted units should blow through the middle/lower paths before he can do much beyond kill, at most, three units (just the most I can see him getting). Even assuming that's average for one chapter, I can't use him until I get the KW afterwards or else risk losing that speed. I'll take your word on the Ravens (I never used him there and I suspect they would rather go after squishier units than him anyways making his tanking useless), and, while I disagree on the gangplanks, even if you DO take it slow he's good for only blocking off one plank until your more offensive units can clear ahead.

Edit: If Brom kills Zihark in 11, will Meg not appear in RD?

Edited by Snowy_One, 15 April 2012 - 02:11 PM.

#24 The_Purple_Knight

The_Purple_Knight

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Gaiden

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

4/10 he makes an acceptable wall after a few levels and he has nice affinity , to bad about the bases and the poor speed .

#25 ALEXANDER

ALEXANDER

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Genealogy of the Holy War

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

Overall, I you have to go out of your way to cope with his low MOV and he has to hog that Knight Ward so his speed won't be so awful. He probably won't get used because you could give him BEXP to get started, but that means Kieran doesn't get as much. At least he's durable and has good supports.

2.5/10 because at least he can be somewhat useful if you put provoke on him. Unfortunately, a bunch of other units can do that too.

I think it's funny that he's faster than Gatrie in PoR, but Gatrie is faster in RD.

#26 Renall

Renall

The 14th Amendment Does Not Bar Dancer Discrimination

• Favorite Fire Emblem Game:Thracia 776

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:35 AM

He's not a bad wall, but he comes in a bad chapter for armors and the ones that follow aren't a whole lot better for a long, long time. With the Knight Ward his speed's pretty great (generally speaking) and his STR and DEF are okay, but he has a very hard time getting over the hump to be useful and unlike Gatrie, he wasn't around early.

His Water support is awesome, but he doesn't really have very good support options to leverage it. Boyd dishes offense for both of them and a little defense for Boyd, which is okay I guess. Nephenee and Zihark are not really ideal partners, nor is Brom particularly ideal for them. Zihark might be okay, but he probably wants somebody who isn't an armor knight.

3/10

But seriously, if you really need a brick wall tank, why aren't you using Mordecai? Same untransformed defense, same affinity (but better partners), 12 more HP, better movement, better shoving, takes no resources, and you've already had him for a couple maps. That kinda sounds like a "Not X" post (it's not really factored in though, hence coming after the rating), I admit, but the point is that if you want a physical tank Brom has to compete with Gatrie being there in early maps where his DEF was awesome and Mordecai already doing the same thing but better. And that's without factoring in that you could just be using Oscar and Kieran and they'll have more than adequate DEF and HP to tank while also being faster and better offensively. And they too can take the Knight Ward. So... yeah, not really a good spot for Brom.

#27 Snowy_One

Snowy_One

Free

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:54 AM

He's not a bad wall, but he comes in a bad chapter for armors and the ones that follow aren't a whole lot better for a long, long time. With the Knight Ward his speed's pretty great (generally speaking) and his STR and DEF are okay, but he has a very hard time getting over the hump to be useful and unlike Gatrie, he wasn't around early.

His Water support is awesome, but he doesn't really have very good support options to leverage it. Boyd dishes offense for both of them and a little defense for Boyd, which is okay I guess. Nephenee and Zihark are not really ideal partners, nor is Brom particularly ideal for them. Zihark might be okay, but he probably wants somebody who isn't an armor knight.

3/10

But seriously, if you really need a brick wall tank, why aren't you using Mordecai? Same untransformed defense, same affinity (but better partners), 12 more HP, better movement, better shoving, takes no resources, and you've already had him for a couple maps. That kinda sounds like a "Not X" post (it's not really factored in though, hence coming after the rating), I admit, but the point is that if you want a physical tank Brom has to compete with Gatrie being there in early maps where his DEF was awesome and Mordecai already doing the same thing but better. And that's without factoring in that you could just be using Oscar and Kieran and they'll have more than adequate DEF and HP to tank while also being faster and better offensively. And they too can take the Knight Ward. So... yeah, not really a good spot for Brom.

Brom gets a counter-attack which can soften up enemies for other units or, if wounded previously, maybe let him kill. That is why someone might use him over Mordi (before the demiband at least).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users