Rate The Unit, Day 18: Matthis

Dat Rules (borrowed/stolen from Integrity)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard 1 Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly. Also, if your vote is already a 10/10 or greater than 9 and you give a full point of bias, The score may not exceed 10!

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends from 2100 to 2200 EST. Every ranking phase starts from 2200 EST to 2300 EST. Do the math if you are in another timezone!

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "He Comes with a Free Ridersbane" as an argument.

- Rate the character based on his/her performance without the Rainbow Potion, Maturity Drop or Bond Drop

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

Averages:

Bord: 3.25

Cord: 3.83

Warren: 4.35

Linde: 6.27

Gordin: 6.33

Arran: 6.62

Cecil: 7.21

Ryan: 7.71

Julian: 7.95

Draug: 8.14

Rody: 8.43

Luke: 8.56

Marth: 8.70

Malliesia: 9.50

Catria: 9.73

Palla: 9.86

My Unit: 9.99

My rating: 5/10

His growths aren't amazing, neither are his bases. In fact, his only class that he'd ever work with is pirate/Berserker. Once again, its a 65% Str growth and 50% Spd growth coupled with a whooping 130% HP growth. Any other class and he just seems redundant.He'll funcion well if he reaches D axes soon.

Edited by Marth

You are THE WORST at linking things. :P:

He's a PITA to get, and he's not even that impressive. Sheesh, IS. His bases are on par with Luke/Rody/Ryan, and his growths look like they walked out of FE11. That is. . .bad.

3.5/10

Ugh...okay, where to begin on how much this guy sucks?

He can work as a Pirate/Berserker or Archer/Sniper (as I tried the latter before), but given how much of a pain he is to recruit and how genuinely redundant he is to your team...is it really worth it? Exactly the same to me as he was in the SNES FE3: Free Javelin, bench afterwards since you'd have to be pretty desperate to consider the guy.

4/10

He can work as a Pirate/Berserker

Okay, I'm only going to mention something because these ratings are getting slightly off-of-hand with stuff like this. Granted, I understand that this is for fun, but let's be serious with ourselves for a moment.

Now, there's only one reason why I would give Bord a "pass" (by that it's acceptable) with using Pirate - he lacks the Con to use Axes. Well actually it's because he has C Axes. But let's look at a stray comparison of Matthis vs. Cord for example:

Cord Absolute Bases - 0 HP | 2 Str | 0 Mag | 4 Skl | 2 Spd | 5 Luck | 2 Def | 0 Res
Cord Growths (Pirate/Berserker) - 100 HP | 50 Str | 0 Mag | 30 Skl | 70	Spd | 50 Luck | 15 Def | 0 Res

Matthis Absolute Bases - 3 HP | 2 Str | 0 Mag | 1 Skl | 1 Spd | 1 Luck | 2 Def | 0 Res
Matthis Growths (Pirate/Berserker) - 130 HP | 65 Str | 0 Mag | 30 Skl | 50 Spd | 30 Luck | 15 Def | 0 Res

Matthis has a couple of issues versus Cord. As we can tell, Matthis will always beat Cord in HP by a good amount (0 base vs 3, 100% vs 130%) and will have a slight edge on Str (15% growth); however, Cord will be beating Matthis in Spd and possibly weapon rank overall (not by much). Furthermore, Matthis's Luck stat will always be an issue. But Matthis only has slight leads on a mediocre unit.

Now factor that Rody and Luke can also be Pirates, have Prologue, and generally have better growths, My Unit exists, and Draug makes okay use of it (nothing great, but about the same level as Cord and co. and has a better Spd base), Matthis is kind of the haystack of Pirates. And remember - there's only one real slot for it, so competition is fierce.

I guess what I'm saying is if you're arguing any class for Pirate / Berserker, there better be damn good reasons other than purely "it's a good self-improvement class" like it is for Matthis.

Has great HP growth. And can support with My Unit, Rena and Julian. Not so good dodge, but he will guarantee to cap in HP and Str. Not exactly frontline material. Since his Spd, luck, and Res aren't enough to cope that. Someone u should only use in the NM. Because there are better Social Knights out there.

1.5/10

Edited by リンダ

I guess what I'm saying is if you're arguing any class for Pirate / Berserker, there better be damn good reasons other than purely "it's a good self-improvement class" like it is for Matthis.

Can't blame you about this, part of the reason I consider even using Matthis redundant is he has competition just about everywhere that outdoes him; and Pirate's no exception. He can make a good one, but he's clearly on the losing end when you got folks packing C ranks already which is important for HM.

Same deal with Archer; you've had Ryan for so long that Matthis would be redundant and expendable by the time you get him in that role.

He is murder to recruit if you don't use Warp. Surrounding him and letting your people take hits is the best way to contain him and after that it's switch and heal, but it's still a lot of effort for someone like him. Plus his character and sprite make him out to be the wishy-washy brother of Rena, which he isn't entirely. Overall though, he's a pretty hopeless unit in my experience. There are better horsemen out there.

A measly 4/10 from me.