Rate the Unit, Day 18: Merric
Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:15 PM
- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard 2 Mode.
- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.
+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly. Also, if your vote is already a 10/10 or greater than 9 and you give a full point of bias, The score may not exceed 10!
- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.
- Each ranking phase ends from 2100 to 2200 EST. 13th May start the topic again but i am not sure. Do the math if you are in another timezone!
- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.
- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.
- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.
- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "He Comes with a Free Ridersbane" as an argument.
- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.
Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:24 PM
Anywho, Merric, coverart boy with a dorky hat. Surprisingly durable, but mainly hired for his Excalibur.
That Wendell uses better for a long time.
Solid mage, in a game where mage demand is low.
4.0 (including a bias of -1)
Edited by Elieson, 27 April 2012 - 07:55 PM.
Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:03 PM
Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:14 AM
Pretty solid character. He has excalibur which is very helpful and usually my go to guy when it comes to killing Gharneff. I usually only use him as a mage, so can't comment on his other classes.
Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:48 AM
I honestly don't think he'd be good as anything but a magic class, but I digress. Enemies have such crappy RES in this game, that it doesn't really matter if Merric spends time as a priest. But his Excalibur tome can be used for killing off flyers. (And he can even reap some free EXP in the process by K.O.-ing the Whitewings at the time Bantu joins.) He'll eventually have pretty high durability for a Mage, which is something I like, and it can become higher if he spends time as a Priest. But unfortunately, his defense is low in a magic class, which limits his chances of an even higher durability. However, if you want the Falchion, he's recommended for using the Starlight tome, which is the only way to kill Gharnef. (Of course, the downside to that is the lack of the Starsphere.)
6/10 + 1 bias since he's one of my favorite characters in this game. So that's 7/10.
Edited by Little Al, 27 April 2012 - 11:49 AM.
Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:52 PM
Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:27 PM
Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:08 PM
Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:09 PM
Merric is okay, but the issue is that he's merely a combat unit that has one hard strike. Granted, nuking DracoKnights is awesome, but they're extremely rare. We're looking at... Chapter 7, 10, 21, and 22. 4 Chapters isn't that astounding. I guess at least in this mode he might have a chance to double... Which... Helps. 6 Spd and 40% growth isn't that hot, though. I know it fails to even double AKs in H5.
Another issue is staff rank. He'll have to slam himself into Curate to obtain C Staves for Warp, which also hinders his usefulness in another way.
He's okay at best. Better than a lot of scrubby units, but he lacks really special utility that other classes have to offer. I guess at least nuking DracoKnights helps his case a little. Still, consider the game is stupidly easy to Warpskip... And that practically removes two chapters more of Merric's Excalibur niche.
Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:22 PM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users